Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2024, 16:59   #601
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: MG Comet EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi all - just wanted to check with Comet owners. I have to buy a second car and my overall usage is actually quite low. My current car has not even clocked 10k in 31 months of ownership. With a second car coming in, the usage will even reduce.

thanks,
If your usage is low, you shouldn't go for an electric car in the first place, better get a good used petrol car for half the price if there is a need for two cars in the family. Spending even 7.5 to 10 lakhs on a car that runs so low is meaningless
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 01:13   #602

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi all - just wanted to check with Comet owners. I have to buy a second car and my overall usage is actually quite low. My current car has not even clocked 10k in 31 months of ownership. With a second car coming in, the usage will even reduce. I live in a rented accommodation and will continue to live on rent for some time, so I am not sure whether I can get a connection of electricity line drawn up in my parking. My question is how value destructive (in terms of running cost) will it be if I only reply on public chargers? and since I will be using more fast chargers as well (due to time limitation etc.), how will it interplay via-v-vis the battery?

thanks,
I own the Comet EV since March 2024 and have driven around 8000 Kilometres so far.

My housing society took around two months to give me the necessary permissions to install the charger in my open parking. And I was exclusively charging at Public chargers (slow AC!) for those two months...and to my suprise it wasn't a challenge at all! There are public (paid) chargers belonging to Jio BP Pulse and Tata Power within 500 meters of both my residence as well as office and the charging once in two days added a few hundred meters to my weekly walks

When charging at home, I use electricity worth around INR 300 per full charge and get more than 170 kilometres consistently (mix of highway and city driving) so around 2 rupees per kilometre.

And while charging at Public chargers it costs me around INR 450 for a full charge for the same 170+ kilometres. So around 3 rupees per kilometre.

MG Comet EV might be a suitable car for you given your low running (maybe charge once a week).

Its a very capable car, I originally bought it purely as a second car for runabouts but its quickly become my favourite and primary car.

Last edited by KarthikK : 31st July 2024 at 05:21.
ThinkPad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 05:55   #603
BHPian

Hi All! I am seriously looking at the MG Comet as a city runabout for me and my wife. One thing which bugs me is the feeble tinny sounding 2 speaker audio system. Has anyone installed after market speakers on a Comet yet? If yes please post pictures and videos so I can go ahead and get this car.
Old 1st August 2024, 00:42   #604

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Hi All! I am seriously looking at the MG Comet as a city runabout for me and my wife. One thing which bugs me is the feeble tinny sounding 2 speaker audio system. Has anyone installed after market speakers on a Comet yet? If yes please post pictures and videos so I can go ahead and get this car.
I listen to music and podcasts on my MG Comet EV during my 2+ hours, 60+ kilometres commute daily and for front passengers I find the speakers adequate.

Being an EV doing any kind of modifications may impact warranty so that's something to keep in mind.

I will ask MG Service Head during my upcoming 10K kilometres service (3rd free service) about possibilities for Audio upgrade and update here.
ThinkPad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 17:16   #605
BHPian

This is strange. Today I recharged my Comet Plush variant (old top end) at my office using Bolt AC 7.4KW type 2 charger. From what I know Comet Plush/Play/Pace does not support fast charging so limits the charging only upto 3.2KW/H. However, to my shock from 52% to 100% it took less than 1.30 hour (i initially set it to 3.10 mins but disconnect ed after 1.30 hour). I seriouly doubt if this is even possible. Looks like some glitch when connected to high capacity AC chargers. I could confirm the same from the booking report on the app which shows only 4.4KW energy was used (screenshot shared). Technically, that is only 25% which means actual charge should have been only 77% (52+25). Please share if you had similar experience here. I am going to monitor if there will be a range drop suddenly due to this as wrong calibration by BMS cannot be ruled out.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-screenshot_2024080617045686_e31f0222247d7e333d13e8d4d89fa85b.jpg  

Last edited by raj3kdell : 6th August 2024 at 17:19. Reason: forgot attachement and minor correction
Old 6th August 2024, 20:20   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3kdell View Post
This is strange. Today I recharged my Comet Plush variant (old top end) at my office using Bolt AC 7.4KW type 2 charger. From what I know Comet Plush/Play/Pace does not support fast charging so limits the charging only upto 3.2KW/H..
Open the bonnet/hood and check the charger capacity, the actual on board charger is present in the car. The OBC is one with a fan and heatsink, the specification sticker will be written on the other side, so you may want to use a mirror or phone camera.
DIY410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 10:36   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3kdell View Post
This is strange......I am going to monitor if there will be a range drop suddenly due to this as wrong calibration by BMS cannot be ruled out.
After monitoring for couple of days, the range drop after charging with 7.4KW was significant. As initially thought, it seems the calibration goes wrong when charged with high speed charger. I don't want to mess up with the BMS so wouldn't try again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks