Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2024, 23:41   #571
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

What is the use of putting the gear knob selector to "charge" ?
The manual and the tutorials say to charge will keeping the gear knob to Neutral and handbrake on. So what purpose does the left most "charge" point serve on the gear knob?
TheVDR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 07:06   #572
BHPian

Good point. I also thought it needs no place on the gear knob as instrument cluster already shows charging status with bit more details (read % charged). I guess it was created only lock it's position while charging may be as a safety measure to prevent accidental shifting of gear (to d or r). Haven't got a chance to try it though.
Old 4th July 2024, 09:19   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Loved the way it's written. And inline with this, while considering this as my city drive I have one serious question.

Driving big car in city makes me nervous as other vehicles driving way closure to squeeze in the gap that I tend to keep as safe distance. Now with the smaller footprint of Comet (especially width), makes me think is blessings or will increase my nervousness as technically I can't maintain lane discipline as car is narrow and will entertain people tend to come more closure.

Any comments from Comet owner on above?

Thanks,
Pradip.
I’m so used to the comet and the driving dynamics of it that I almost crashed many times when I took out my Jimny. Completely different.

Some differences:
Steering, light and sharp(I turn fully using one finger) vs heavy and needs a workout.
Brakes are super sharp vs I really need to press that pedal.
Not to mention, the comet made me appreciate the space and comfort that Jimny gives me when inside

But yes, I do love both of them and they’re amazing to drive and I truly enjoy driving both of them. But the Comet wins all hands down on city conditions when the rods are nice and smooth. Rest, the Jimny wins.

They both make almost the same amount of torque. But the Comet is about 350-400 KGs lighter. (~800 KGs vs 1200KGs)

Just I wish the suspension and tyres could absorb a bit more and make the interiors more comfortable for the money.

Probably throw in a better quality speakers. But I feel those stock speakers need to be broken in to sound good. Or maybe I got used to the sound? Have to check with a new Comet for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
The Comet is a sort of half sorted car & MG has just not been bothered to pay attention to it. Their attitude seems to be thank you for your money, you are now on your own. The niggles include battery charging, ICE not switching off, a horrible software system. The car is not suitable for anyone over 5ft 8inch tall.(I wrongly thought I could live with that). The service center while being exceedingly polite are just incapable of understanding and solving problems.
So the first 900KMs were actually niggle free and gave me extreme pleasure. But post that, I’ve been having issues.

The regen just disables when going over bumps or road undulations. The creep function sets in and it’s a dangerous thing especially when going downhill. The vehicle is providing power and not using regen. Forcing me rely heavily on the brakes. This is absolutely unacceptable.

So when there are such bumps or undulations there is a “hissing” sound from the rear. I’m sure it’s the rear brakes. And then again the regen stops functioning. I’ve escalated this to the dealership and apparently MG is working on it.

Yesterday suddenly the screen booted up again in the middle which was surprising. Never happened before.

The seatbelt, oh god that’s one irritating thing. Slips out of the loop half the time. No idea how but it just does.

But other than that, when driving and cutting across the city traffic, she is a hoot to drive around.

One other note is, during the first service they tried to fix the nozzle to aim it higher, the water jets flew over the roof. So adjusted it down. It’s functional. I mean, theres not much of a choice.

Last edited by AjayV : 4th July 2024 at 09:24.
AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 10:21   #574
GTE
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

IMO the regen cuts off when the abs is triggered which possibly happens when there's a crater in the offing & brakes are applied. The less said about the ICE the better, it seems to do whatever it wants. Considering that it is software changeable one can hope they will get it sorted. If they let the driver seat go all the way back till it touched the rear 'seat' that would have made it so much better to drive.
GTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 11:45   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
The regen just disables when going over bumps or road undulations. The creep function sets in and it’s a dangerous thing especially when going downhill. The vehicle is providing power and not using regen. Forcing me rely heavily on the brakes. This is absolutely unacceptable.
I hate this in my Tiago EV - and I think this is common in lot (if not most) of EV's (found lot of posts about this across makes and models). I understand how unnerving it would be when going downhill with high regen.
thomahawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 12:37   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVDR View Post
The manual and the tutorials say to charge will keeping the gear knob to Neutral and handbrake on. So what purpose does the left most "charge" point serve on the gear knob?
I haven't been able to put it into the "charge" mode except for once when I accidentally did it.

However, the last time I charged, I started the car first with the connector plugged in to check things and at that time the gear selector was in "charge mode".
Old 4th July 2024, 12:51   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFreak9874 View Post
I haven't been able to put it into the "charge" mode except for once when I accidentally did it.

However, the last time I charged, I started the car first with the connector plugged in to check things and at that time the gear selector was in "charge mode".
So, if turning the gear knob to "charge" position is not mandatory to charge, why does it exist in the first place? Is it only for the aesthetic?

Does the charge LED glow everytime you charge, irrespective of where the gear knob is positioned?
Old 4th July 2024, 16:47   #578
BHPian

Quote:
So, if turning the gear knob to "charge" position is not mandatory to charge, why does it exist in the first place? Is it only for the aesthetic?

Does the charge LED glow everytime you charge, irrespective of where the gear knob is positioned?
That is really weird, the MG ZS doesn't have that option. I wonder what else you can do the car while charging. Certainly not put it in D or R mode!
Old 5th July 2024, 13:27   #579
BHPian

Quote:
No I haven't seen it glow otherwise.
Old 5th July 2024, 13:31   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
That is really weird, the MG ZS doesn't have that option. I wonder what else you can do the car while charging. Certainly not put it in D or R mode!
Certainly! It is highly, highly unclear to me now as to what is the actual use. Can any Comet owner confirm this? I've tried searching for it everywhere...this forum, youtube, other forums. No answer online! Will have to go to a MG Showroom if I don't get the answer soon !
TheVDR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 14:02   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
I hate this in my Tiago EV - and I think this is common in lot (if not most) of EV's (found lot of posts about this across makes and models). I understand how unnerving it would be when going downhill with high regen.
I think you mean “no regen”. But yes. Brain is expecting the vehicle to slow down but takes a second to realise it’s just pushing forward, it could be a dangerous situation if done wrong.

Interesting to note it’s common across EVs and not specific to comet.
AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 15:27   #582
BHPian

Quote:
IMO the regen cuts off when the abs is triggered which possibly happens when there's a crater in the offing & brakes are applied. The less said about the ICE the better, it seems to do whatever it wants. Considering that it is software changeable one can hope they will get it sorted.
I've only noticed the Regen disabling happening during braking as well, but I was thinking more along the lines of the car detecting a jerk and thinking that the Regen may have lead to that, and disabling it for some time to prevent a repeat occurrence.

There's definitely a timeout but I don't know if it's time based (if I had to guess, 15 seconds roughly), or distance based (say 100m?)

I also hope that there can be a software update to fix it. Make it a bit less sensitive and perhaps make the timeout lower and it may become pretty much unnoticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
Brain is expecting the vehicle to slow down but takes a second to realise it’s just pushing forward, it could be a dangerous situation if done wrong.
Yeah it gets quite jerky. I used to find it dangerous at first but I've gotten used to it. I think it helps that I'm driving in Eco mode and Heavy Regen most of the time meaning that going from Heavy Regen to no Regen at all is such a big difference, its felt very easily. For better or worse.

Quote:
If they let the driver seat go all the way back till it touched the rear 'seat' that would have made it so much better to drive.
That plus a telescopic steering otherwise even as a tall guy my hands won't reach. It'd also solve the seatbelt is too far problem.

Although by now I've gotten used to an upright driving stance. Probably better for one's body too.
MindFreak9874 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 18:47   #583

High Temperature Battery Issues with MG COMET EV!

High Temperature Battery Issues with MG COMET EV!
During the month of June - when the temperature in the shade was touching 46 to 48 C in Chandigarh, I found that the range on my Comet EV dropped DRASTICALLY!
In fact, it came down to around 100 km per charge - from around 150-170 per charge otherwise, with the same parameters otherwise.
On getting to the Service Center, I was informed that this was very likely due to the high temperatures.
And sure enough, now in July with the weather improving, the range appears to be back at around 150 km.
I guess EV batteries have an issue at very high and very low temperature BOTH. Just wanted to let everyone know, and find out if others have experienced something similar with this or other EVs?
Old 10th July 2024, 19:22   #584
BHPian

Re: High Temperature Battery Issues with MG COMET EV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLU View Post
I guess EV batteries have an issue at very high and very low temperature BOTH. Just wanted to let everyone know, and find out if others have experienced something similar with this or other EVs?
High temperature causes the AC to work overtime to cool the car, hence you will see a drop in range. Low temperature causes the car to heat up the cabin which again uses a lot energy and hence you see drop in range
Old 12th July 2024, 13:55   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFreak9874 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post

Looks like there is confusion on the charging led functionality.

I agree it is totally redundant. The LCD shows the status well enough and is sufficient. Maybe in lower end models the LCD screen doesn't show this. Or maybe if there are models with analog dials, this might help.

But for clarification - the LED on the gear selector is an indicator and not a selector. When the car is charging it switches to this LED.

As long as the car is charging or the charger is plugged in, there is no way to shift the gear selector. So this mode serves as an indicator that the charger is plugged in when you reach for the gear knob.

Hope that clarifies. Did I miss anything?
herculesksp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks