ALTIMAed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 08:11   #527
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Attachment 2603950

Attached are the Comet duplicate key cost. Prices quoted Ex - Gurgaon
That’s expensive for a key. And I wonder why they’re giving only one key? Since when is that a standard?

BTW - finally got her home!!!

Now for some graphics. I’ll update on how one can do a front and rear camera installation soon. It was fairly easy and took me just a couple of hours to figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-img_3585.jpeg  

Last edited by AjayV : 11th May 2024 at 08:12.
AjayV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 23:25   #528
BHPian

So a quick review for the Exclusive non FC:

I’ll leave the basics to rest as it’s been discussed time and again. But here’s some major points that’s bothering me despite not evident during the test drive nor during the display.

- the doors are HUGE. So an issue during narrow spaces. Solid but huge. Wish it was sliding like omni doors.

- the build quality is top notch. I feel safe. Doesn’t feel like some tin can. Door has good heft. Probably due to the size?

- rear seats are strictly for kids and short rides. Absolutely 0 support and comfort for someone like me at 5’11” - but the window is nice so I feel like I’m flying. Literally that.

- audio quality can be improved by tinkering the equaliser. It actually becomes good with the right settings

- AC is a chiller.

- battery drains fast and I mean 1% per KM. Hardly getting a range of 100 kms. Probably due to summer? Or a new vehicle or whatever. That range on the screen is useless. Simply % of battery left X 2. That’s it. Absolute garbage.

- white interiors are a pain to keep clean as I did soiled them while installing the dash cam.

- I wish MG sold the sunshades for rear glass and the “airplane view” windshields on sides for additional privacy.

- I also wish MG sold the armrest here. Apparently it’s 17K official while Chinese manufacturers sell it about 2K on aliexpress for 10 or so pieces. I miss an armrest badly.

- storage is amazing. I don’t miss the glovebox but would’ve been really nice to have it. Probably not provided due to the presence of airbags there?

- headlights at night is very good. I wasn’t expecting much but it is actually very very good.

- installation of the dash cam took a while to figure out but it is made super easy with a curtain wire/spring

- the IRVM is too close and weirdly placed. But I use the rear dash cam with a view on IRVM there so just switch the view and good to go. Avoids glare also.

- grabs attention everywhere. No need to spend big bucks for “road presence”

- hate that rim covers. Might remove them or paint them totally black or maybe sport the steel rims directly. They are not convenient to check and correct the air pressure.

- brakes are sharp and have very good bite. Hope the tyres live up. Because they don’t inspire confidence. Need better tyres I feel.

- totally in love with the car. Worth the money IMO. A good and complete product. Nothing feels half done or half finished.

- the app can be a bit error throwing but it works for the most part and it’s a nice experience.

- I totally hate the single key concept. Absolutely unacceptable for a vehicle costing 10L OTR!!!
AjayV is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 01:44   #529
BHPian

Recently my sister was gifted a apple green MG Comet on her birthday by my BIL.

I drove it for couple for kilometers and here are my observation:
- The car has amazing pick-up in Normal mode. Sport and Eco are the other 2 modes available.
- Door's are huge and heavy. already got a small ding while parking
- With 4 fully sized adults, the car didn't feel bogged down and pulled effortlessly.
- The headlights are bright and have good throw
- Car seemed stable, as I was able to touch 60 KMPH on a empty stretch
- No glove box, but enough storage space all around
- Comes with Wires and wireless Android auto. Wireless Android Auto worked seamlessly without any drops or stuttering.
- Music system is adequate
- Takes around 7 hours to fully charge with the given charger
- The USB port provided is under the dashboard and needs a bit of effort to plug the cable in
- AC cools the cabin rapidly
- Front seats are small and the elbows of driver and front passenger will certainly keep bumping in to each others
- Back seat lack the under thigh support and 2 adults of normal size can sit with your knee up
- Comes with Electronic parking brake, so some space saving between the front 2 seats.
- Boot is non-existent and comes with a tyre inflator in a box as there is no spare wheel

On a side note, the showroom was charging 54K for insurance, we went with Acko, which was like some 25k or so
ant_vas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 02:33   #530
BHPian

Nice points. I went with POLICYBAZAAR and got the insurance at 16800/- from New India Assurance.

A couple more points I missed updating:

- I charged 30% to 100% in 4 hours (slow charge) on a public charger. So don’t keep till you run down to 0% charge. It’s not good for the longevity of the battery also.

- one other sore point is the seat belts up front. The driver slips through the loop somehow and the co driver seatbelt is super far. It should also have been provided a loop for that money.

- to avoid dings, I’ve ordered this on Amazon. Will provide some cover.

https://amzn.in/d/hYZrG1d

- due to the lack of the seatbelt height adjustment it literally cuts across the neck. Here’s the solution I’m trying out.

https://amzn.in/d/3D2yqag

- I’m using amazon towels as seat covers so washing them is a breeze. Easy to put and remove.

I’ll share images of all the accessories shortly over the weekend and how I installed the DashCam.

https://amzn.in/d/0Ff3Lj5

Last edited by AjayV : 15th May 2024 at 02:36.
AjayV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 11:48   #531
BHPian

So further updates - went for a test drive at night. The headlights are BRIGHT. And I mean it. They are SUV level despite being so low. They’re setting a gold standard for headlights. I wonder why can’t other manufacturers actually make proper headlights.

The tyres were proper and grippy. They stick like they’re on a drag strip. Probably the grip level reduces as the time goes by or did they change the compound or something? Not sure but this one is miles ahead with just 200 on ODO which is a perfect distance for broken in tyres rather than the 9000kms driven TD vehicle that’s sliding everywhere like it’s swearing slicks on ice.

So I also figured one can “pull” the electric hand brake and it’ll engage like a normal one. I’d advise against it but there’s that in case of emergency.

Long press the mic button exits the Apple CarPlay and goes to the main screen.

An absolute hoot to drive. Literally golf cart on steroids. It also said I’m not driving properly on the app and gave me a low rating. Hope the data isn’t shared with the government

The “phone as a key” is very nice. But it isn’t working always.

Here’s how to make it work:
- open the MG app
- open the menu (three dashes on top left corner)
- My Profile
- Digital Key.

That’s where you can connect and lock and unlock.

It works 99% of the time very well. But yesterday it was giving me a pain out of the blue. But if that malfunctions, get the key.

It locked the car yesterday as the Bluetooth got disconnected but the car was still on. It’s a glitch. So be careful. And I was unable to unlock the car because it thinks it’s unlocked because the vehicle is on. But I can’t unlock it because it thinks it’s locked because the doors are locked. It’s a catch 22 situation.

Hence my valid hate for MG in providing only one key. But on the other hand the vehicle doesn’t get locked if the key is inside. BUT it will get locked if you lock with your phone. So do not experiment. It’s dangerous.

Last edited by AjayV : 18th May 2024 at 11:51.
AjayV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 10:59   #532
BHPian

Okay, here’s a real world “mileage”.

Home to office - 23 KMs
Office to home - 24 KMs
Total: 47 KMs

Battery at starting : 55%
Battery at ending : 30%

Total battery consumed : 25%

Now the 100% capacity is 17.3 KWh which translates to .173 per % and 25% of 17.3KWh is 4.325 KWh.

So I roughly took some ₹30 (₹7/unit) for my trip.

Here’s the settings:

Going to office at 13:00 - sport and heavy regen.
She took 15% of the battery and AC was on.

Coming from office at 01:00 - sport and light regen. She took 10% battery and the AC was on.
AjayV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 12:03   #533
BHPian

This is working out to 10+ km per KWh.

My guess is the Comet Ev is one of the most efficient EV vehicles today.

Happy driving.
KeepItSimple is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 15:59   #534
BANNED

@AjayV
Did you already post on how to install the front camera without voiding the Warranty?

We just purchased an MG Comet Exclusive replacing our old Reva (13 years of utility driving) and relooking for a front camera.

We are looking for guidance on the front camera installation.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st May 2024 at 00:31. Reason: Clean up edits.
Old 30th May 2024, 16:57   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo_Bhai View Post
@AjayV
Did you already post on how to install the front camera with out voiding the Warranty ?
We just purchased an MG Comet Exclusive replacing our old Reva (13 years of utility driving) and re looking for a front camera.

We are looking for guidance on the front camera installation
The IRVM has a USB port to power the dashcam. Its a simple plug and play. Easy peasy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
So a quick review for the Exclusive non FC:

- I totally hate the single key concept. Absolutely unacceptable for a vehicle costing 10L OTR!!!
What I feel (maybe wrong though, MG has provided one key in the Exclusive as it has digital key sharing. In other words, the car can be locked / unlocked / brought to ready mode by

- The physical key
- The mobile phone of the owner
- The mobile phone of the person with whom the owner has shared the digital key

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st May 2024 at 00:32. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Use Multi Quote (Quote+) feature please.
ALTIMAed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 21:51   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo_Bhai View Post
@AjayV
Did you already post on how to install the front camera with out voiding the Warranty ?
We just purchased an MG Comet Exclusive replacing our old Reva (13 years of utility driving) and re looking for a front camera.

We are looking for guidance on the front camera installation
My apologies. I’ll make a detailed post about it once I’m back home. It’s very easy and I will recommend you have a curtain wire or a spring to accomplish the job. It can be done by yourself at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
What I feel (maybe wrong though, MG has provided one key in the Exclusive as it has digital key sharing. In other words, the car can be locked / unlocked / brought to ready mode by

- The physical key
- The mobile phone of the owner
- The mobile phone of the person with whom the owner has shared the digital key
But that mobile phone is sometimes very very buggy. It locked the vehicle without switching off the vehicle. So when I try to unlock or lock option, it won’t do that and says failed.
AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 03:55   #537
BHPian

Took delivery of my 2024 Executive (base) today.

Introduction

I was considering a multitude of cars, ranging from the obvious Tiago EV, the tempting Punch EV, as well as Altroz DCA, XUV 3XO, and some more. Being somewhat fun to drive was definitely a factor, so was the price.

Decided not too spend too much this time and ended up pulling the trigger on the Comet.
It was about 7.5L on-road for the car. Not bad for what it offers, I'd say.

I will miss some things such as Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, but definitely won't miss

I've driven it 100km already, it's charging as I type this. Consumed about 55% of the battery in doing so, used all of the modes and regen options. Evening and night driving, AC was used but at the lowest fan speed.

2024 Updates

One of the biggest changes to the 2024 car is two new Fast Charging variants, but it's not available in the base model. I didn't find it worth going to the next model and paying even more for Fast Charging.

One of the other additions across the line is creep mode, which comes in very handy. Put it in Drive, let go of the brake and it'll slowly get to 5kmph. Tap the brakes slightly and it'll slow back down, very seamless.

I will definitely miss having disc brakes all around, and also ESP from the top variant, Exclusive.

Exterior

It is definitely a looker. The illuminated MG logo at the front (also the charging port), really stands out. It's something I didn't notice during the test drive I took 2 months ago, in the 2023 models.

Lighting

The base variant has Halogen headlights which don't look as good when turned off but are perfectly adequate. The high beam is actually decent I'd say, and the stalk itself has a very satisfying feel to it, the switching from high beam to low beam is nice.

The dashboard display shows all of the lights as they're toggled. Very handy.

There's a tiny LED fog lamp at the very button at the rear. It's centered, and below the number plate.

The base variant misses out on the connecting lights which I do miss but I also realised that they look really good from the outside which as the driver you aren't going to see too much of.

Interior

Only driven it with 2 onboard so far, and that's going to be the intended usage.
Could definitely use a bit more space in the cabin for say a phone or some miscellaneous items but otherwise it's quite spacious and roomy.

The speakers are ok, I noticed that Bluetooth (Pixel 7 Pro, Spotify) sounds better than FM. Calls are good too, the other side was able to hear me, even while in traffic.

I've ordered a phone mount, may get a tablet mount later and follow in the footsteps of the 'Android Auto Tablet' in car thread. Let's see.

Driving experience

Driving modes

There's 3 modes on offer. Eco, Normal and Sport. Toggled by a quick press of the button next to the AC controls.

Eco is the mode I drove in the most. I found it good enough for city usage. It can get upto 80kmph then slowly start giving more power, letting you stay at a reasonable speed without an abrupt stoppage of power delivery.

Normal is just normal. There's slightly better acceleration than Eco but I had to try it a few times and really pay attention to notice that. Apart from that the main difference is this will let you get to a higher speed, however the car itself can only barely get to 100kmph, running out of juice at around 105kmph.

Sport mode is nice. You definitely feel the power delivery get better. There's still an initial throttle lag, but once it gets going, you quickly reach 80kmph, only noticed by the beep, and it still keeps accelerating for a bit.

Regenerative breaking

There's 3 modes here as well. Light, Normal and Heavy. Toggle by a long press of the button next to the AC controls.

Light is the mode I drove the least in. There was some regeneration but I can't comment too much on it.

Normal is where I started off and drove for about half the time. It's reasonable yet not so much that you get jerks, you get used to it right away.

Heavy is where it's at though. One pedal driving (almost) for the win. I found it good at reducing speed, takes some getting used to avoid jerks but didn't take long for me to become used to it. It only requires some braking usage at the very end if you really need to stop and not just slow down, otherwise I've even used it to get down to crawling speeds.

Suspension

Adequate. Drove over all sorts of roads. A little bit of in-city highways, broken roads, brand new road (built a few weeks ago). Bumps, flyover undulations, all of it. Mostly

Owner's Manual

I downloaded this from the MG website. Attaching it here for everyone's use, and also pasting the link: https://s7ap1.scene7.com/is/content/...dc-pdf-004.pdf

Parting note

I'd definitely recommend the car for city usage, provided you're ok with majorly treating it as a 1-2 seater. It can occasionally sit 4 fit people, but anyone with even some knee trouble will find it hard to get in the back, thus that's best avoided.

Will keep posting updates as I cover more kilometres. This is going to be my primary car for the forseeable future.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CometOwnersManual.pdf (2.12 MB, 117 views)
MindFreak9874 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 06:53   #538
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. Thank you for taking time and sharing your experience. Do post pictures too and which colour have you opted for. There's a new green colour they've launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFreak9874 View Post
One of the other additions across the line is creep mode, which comes in very handy.
I'm contemplating to buy Comet and have taken couple of test drives too. Are you sure about the creep function available across the range? The sales chap was indicating that the creep function is only available in the top variant. I thought it was such a ridiculous thing for a car that's designed primarily for city use. Looks like he pulled a fast one on me. I had briefly considered the mid variant before he said about creep available only in Exclusive.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 12:16   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFreak9874 View Post
Took delivery of my 2024 Executive (base) today.
Thank you so much for the review. I am very keen to buy a Comet executive soon and there weren't many reviews available for this variant. How did you find the motor sound to be? Was it too loud? In the 2023 TD vehicle I felt it to be a bit too loud and unrefined - ironic for an EV, I know!
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 16:04   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. Thank you for taking time and sharing your experience. Do post pictures too and which colour have you opted for. There's a new green colour they've launched.
Thanks! I don't have any pictures to share atm but it's Candy white, and AFAICT that's the only option for the base Executive variant. The new green is actually a variant over the top, costs slightly more. I saw some other cars in that shade at the showroom, looked ok. I prefer Mahindra's olive green over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I'm contemplating to buy Comet and have taken couple of test drives too. Are you sure about the creep function available across the range? The sales chap was indicating that the creep function is only available in the top variant. I thought it was such a ridiculous thing for a car that's designed primarily for city use. Looks like he pulled a fast one on me. I had briefly considered the mid variant before he said about creep available only in Exclusive.
I have the 2024 base Executive and use the creep mode so yes I'm sure, the brochure says so as well. The 2023 models didn't have it however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Thank you so much for the review. I am very keen to buy a Comet executive soon and there weren't many reviews available for this variant. How did you find the motor sound to be? Was it too loud? In the 2023 TD vehicle I felt it to be a bit too loud and unrefined - ironic for an EV, I know!
I don't mind the motor sound at all tbh, you get used to it. It is also easily masked with some light music which I typically always have on. I didn't find it too loud or unrefined.
MindFreak9874 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed