Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2024, 01:40   #496
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
Dear friends,

Has anyone calculated how many units of electricity are required to fully charge Comer EV? I am trying to calculate cost saving versus my petrol car that gives 6-7 kmpl in bumper to bumper city driving.

Thanks in advance.

Achint
The battery capacity is 17.3 KW. So 17.3 units. Now you can do the math 👍
AjayV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 12:09   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
The battery capacity is 17.3 KW. So 17.3 units. Now you can do the math 👍
This is only possible if everything is 100% efficient.

The reality is different
1) AC to DC charging conversion for On board charger is about 85% efficiency.
2) Lithium battery charge intake efficiency about 90 to 95%.
3) Power taken to cool the battery during charging.

The range displayed in a EV is calculated only from the current drawn from battery.

Just for the benefit of others who are curious to know the other electrical losses that are already factored in the range displayed.
4) DC to 3 phase AC inverter/MCU efficiency which is about 98%
5) Motor efficiency of 90 to 94%.
DIY410 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 17:49   #498
BHPian

Was checking out the comet EV online and decided to give the local MG dealer a call. This is the price list he shared:
MG Comet EV Review-ce2393520747436cac905d6b5c5aed6d.jpeg

What are essential kit and value added service charges?
Old 11th April 2024, 19:45   #499
BHPian

Here’s what I got.
MG Comet EV Review-9c82f87f5b474ae4b3d73fbc26aac39c.jpeg

While checking the features list, they added ESC for the top variant in the new models. I’m picking that one now. Changed the booking. But no discounts on that sadly.

The new variants also have creep function and electronic brake with hill hold assist and all four disc brakes. I don’t need fast charging.

Last edited by AjayV : 11th April 2024 at 19:49.
AjayV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 11:04   #500
BHPian

So I’m planning to upgrade to the newer top end non FC. Cost difference is about 2.2L for me. Is it worth it? That’s what I’m unable to push for. Dad isn’t happy but ESC is something I believe is a good one. As is 4 disc brakes , but that’s immaterial IMO for rear as drum or disc make the same function.
The other good ones are the creep function, electric parking brake, hillhold assist and connected features. Just not sure if the price difference justifies that. That’s all.

Attaching both the brochures.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf comet browshwr.pdf (2.10 MB, 117 views)
File Type: pdf new comet ev.pdf (6.83 MB, 125 views)

Last edited by AjayV : 12th April 2024 at 11:11.
Old 12th April 2024, 23:27   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan88 View Post
Hey may I know the dealership?
I'm trying to close play (mid variant) for 8.8 (1st vehicle) and the Gachibowli dealer is not budging.
Hey, I’m changing my variant to the newer model - after much thought, I’ve decided to upgrade and the price/benefits makes it worth it. MG increased the prices by 10K as well. I’m unable to PM you, but you can PM me your contact and we can see what better offer can get from the dealer. He said he had one with discount being a 2023 model if you’re interested.
AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 07:22   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
As suspected, it was an attempt to fleece a potential customer. The essential kit included a lot of unnecessary accessories. The value added service charges included charger setup cost, service charges and you guessed it - vehicle handling charges. When I told the sales exec that this is illegal, he replied that there is a circular that allows them to collect it from 2023 onwards. When I casually remarked that it must be there for all dealerships, the guy agreed to make it disappearAll this even before taking a TD. I had heard some good things about MG's approach to customers, but this was kinda underwhelming.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 16:16   #503
BHPian

Test drove the Comet today.

Context: I have sciatica and my leg leg hurts driving around Bangalore's infamous traffic. Freestyle's heavy clutch makes it worse.

This car will be driven within city limits only and sometimes by my wife. So, range anxiety, top speech etc. do not matter. An EV's running cost makes perfect sense. Comet's small form factor also reduces my wife's driving anxiety. Tiago is the only alternative in the price segment, but I don't prefer it for reasons best left out of this thread.

Driving experience:

1. Power on tap is more than adequate. In fact, sports mode is equivalent to Ather 450x warp mode. I reached the speed limit of 60kmph on ORR effortlessly. On empty roads, it reached legal limit of 80kmph easily too. All this with 3 adults on board.

2. Driving dynamics of Comet is that of a brick. With teeny wheels and tall boy design, it wasn't unexpected. However, I found it adequate for city speed limits. The heavy battery pack compensates for the tall car by lowering center of gravity. However, rear wheel drive makes oversteer real, even within city speed limits. So it calls for some bit of caution.

3. Ergonomics was where I lost interest. The seats have underwhelming under thigh support and made me uncomfortable over a 12km drive. I pushed the seat back to get comfortable but the small steering came in the way, making me stretch my arms. Uncomfortable again. The rear seats are best left to kids unless you feel comfortable in a knees up position. My parents sure won't be.

In summary, it is a super cool city 2 seater that is spoiled by the small seats. Those seats were probably cut out to make space for the rear seats that are best left to kids. I made a no buy decision with a heavy heart :( My search for a comfortable automatic city car begins again. If you have a suggestion, please shoot.

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 13th April 2024 at 16:21.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 16:20   #504
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Was checking out the comet EV online and decided to give the local MG dealer a call. This is the price list he shared:
Attachment 2593453

In Coimbatore it was around 868000 on road for mid variant. 10000 added from Feb pricing for the few new features.
Essential Kit and service charges have been added extra in your price list.
Not sure what that essential kit was?
Old 16th April 2024, 16:28   #505
BHPian

MG Comet EV Review-11-k-kms-10-apr-24.jpeg

Not bad at all

11K kms in one day short of 4 months of ownership. That too considering it was stand still on two occasions comprising of 21 days!!

With the price reduction and AC FC option available, it really is a hoot shoot 4 wheeler. Its my primary car and has a daily running of 75 kms.

Service cost I have incurred till date
1000 kms - FOC
5000 kms - Rs 920 (rear reducer oil change)
10,000 kms - Rs 320 (a/c filter replaced)

One could compare the service cost of a similar priced ICE vehicle

With fuel / energy cost the picture is just short of being dramatic

for 11K kms considering a mileage of 14 kmpl, I would have burnt Rs 75.429/- on petrol. In the Comet, considering a range of 180 kms (I am extracting much more), I have just spent Rs 8457.77

A whopping saving of Rs 66,972 using it for just 11K kms!!!
ALTIMAed is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 18:45   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
6 Month review
In fact, this is sometime a pain when I have to suddenly move on after a complete stop due to some bad driver in front taking a turn without indicators or a vehicle cutting across. The car takes 1-2 seconds to start moving even when I jam down the accelerator, and the car behind who also had to stop unplanned typically starts honking.
I have been driving for the last 43 years, from the good old Ambassadors to the Nissan Armadas of the world. Have driven petrols and diesels in all transmission forms. What I have come to realize over all these years is each fuel / transmission type requires a bit of unlearning and learning. Comet was my first EV. Having done a shade lower than 12K kms, I have unlearnt how to drive an ICE and learnt how to drive an EV. 'Jam down the accelerator', well in the NCR traffic, I have never felt the need to do it at all. The car simply accelerates pretty well with a slight press of the A pedal. I always keep the drive mode on NORMAL and KERS mode on HEAVY, really enjoy 'one pedal driving'. In EVs in order to get range, the name of the game is 'anticipation', with a capital A. Anticipate what is going to happen in front and release the A pedal. HEAVY KERS mode slows the car down, dab it again when one needs to move on. I have never felt it sluggish.
ALTIMAed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 19:27   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
I have been driving for the last 43 years, from the good old Ambassadors to the Nissan Armadas of the world. Have driven petrols and diesels in all transmission forms. What I have come to realize over all these years is each fuel / transmission type requires a bit of unlearning and learning. Comet was my first EV. Having done a shade lower than 12K kms, I have unlearnt how to drive an ICE and learnt how to drive an EV. 'Jam down the accelerator', well in the NCR traffic, I have never felt the need to do it at all. The car simply accelerates pretty well with a slight press of the A pedal. I always keep the drive mode on NORMAL and KERS mode on HEAVY, really enjoy 'one pedal driving'. In EVs in order to get range, the name of the game is 'anticipation', with a capital A. Anticipate what is going to happen in front and release the A pedal. HEAVY KERS mode slows the car down, dab it again when one needs to move on. I have never felt it sluggish.
Heartily concur with the anticipation element. It's the most important thing in driving!
Old 17th April 2024, 19:02   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSabh View Post
Heartily concur with the anticipation element. It's the most important thing in driving!
While driving on highways, if a vehicle is moving on the extreme lane (2 lane highway) or for that matter any lane, I focus on the gap between the front tyre and the white lane divider line (broken or continuous) of the vehicle in front while undertaking the overtaking maneuver. Any change in the gap of the markings on the road and the front tyres, I immediately take preventive action. This has helped me a lot.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 02:17   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
I always keep the drive mode on NORMAL and KERS mode on HEAVY, really enjoy 'one pedal driving'. In EVs in order to get range, the name of the game is 'anticipation', with a capital A. Anticipate what is going to happen in front and release the A pedal. HEAVY KERS mode slows the car down, dab it again when one needs to move on. I have never felt it sluggish.
I’m new to EV, so please bear with me.
Wouldn’t heavy regeneration be actually bad as momentum is the true friend of range? Or so I’ve heard and read across, just keep it normal and it’ll give a better range is what I’ve heard too. But yes since heavy regen acts like a heavy engine brake, I do understand why it is a good thing for one pedal driving but the question is, is it a good habit or a good thing for range? The ultimate question is “mileage” or “range” in the matters of EV?
AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 08:12   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
I’m new to EV, so please bear with me.
Wouldn’t heavy regeneration be actually bad as momentum is the true friend of range? Or so I’ve heard and read across, just keep it normal and it’ll give a better range is what I’ve heard too. But yes since heavy regen acts like a heavy engine brake, I do understand why it is a good thing for one pedal driving but the question is, is it a good habit or a good thing for range? The ultimate question is “mileage” or “range” in the matters of EV?
It depends on the road and traffic conditions.
If you are driving in heavy city traffic with stop and go conditions, a higher regen will help in slowing down the car sufficiently without the need for applying brakes, similarly on highways with fairly high traffic. This will help in high regen and helps in range as well.
On open expressways and highways, I prefer mild or mid level regen to coast as much as possible.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks