Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2023, 12:40   #301

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Hi Guys. Just got my Comet delivered last week and after driving for the week I realised that the steering controls for Volume, Track change, Assistant are malfunctioning and not working properly. I must have checked during PDI but missed it.
Now went to service center and they said 3 more customers had same issue and they need to replace the whole steering. They have placed order for part for all customers and will call once they are delivered for Replacement.
People in this forum should know this info if they face this issue.
maheepmaurya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 19:13   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
The reason I am asking is because the Comet battery is around 120 volts whereas the mg zs is around 390. It is easier for me to use just 1 charger (if possible) for both. Which charger are you using?
My understanding is, if both are using the type 2 connector (i.e. circle with a flat top and 7 pins) for A/C charging it should work. Type 2 connector only supplies A/C, the conversion to DC is done in the car, hence it will convert to the correct voltage to charge the battery. Only variation in the A/C connectors are single phase vs 3 phase required for higher power charging. Even if the connector can supply high power the vehicle will draw whatever max it can use.

DC charging with the CCS2 connector, i.e. the type 2 with two fat pins at the bottom, the vehicle and the charger communicate and agree on the voltage and power and supplies suitable DC voltage. This should also work independent of the vehicle motor/battery pack voltage.

Of course please check your manual and/or with the service center before you plug in!
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 15:27   #303
BHPian

Has anyone been able to purchase Extended Warranty for the Comet. We have a Comet in my extended family and have been asking since the first day, but dealers do not have any official details or option to punch the extended warranty in the system. Ironically all extended warranty plans (4th and 5th year) are visible on the MG website, but for purchasing any plan it asks me to contact the dealer.

Tried calling customer care, but they too just ask to contact the dealer and they don't have any information with them.

Any details would be appreciated as everyone just loves the car, so we want to keep it as long as possible and the standard 3 year warranty on the motor is too less.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-chrome_screenshot_21-sept-2023-15_12_30-gmt05_30.png  

Djay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 21:58   #304
BHPian

Same here. Have been asking them from Day 1. Ironically, the prices show higher depending on the age of the vehicle. eg.age more than 30 days is higher than 0-30. This is unacceptable by any standard for no fault of customers.
raj3kdell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 23:23   #305
GTE
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

This is the 3 year shield for the Comet. I believe there is a 5 year one for almost twice the cost.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-screenshot_20230922_232152_wps-office.jpg  

GTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 23:01   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3kdell View Post
Ironically, the prices show higher depending on the age of the vehicle. eg.age more than 30 days is higher than 0-30.
Yes, I am planning to try escalating with the help of dealer as well as directly with MG customer care. And customers who are enquiring since Day 1 should not be required to pay the higher cost.

The product is great, but MG really need to sort out their post-sale services. It's been 4 months since the car was launched and dealers have no option to input extended warranty in the system!!! Quite unheard of really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
This is the 3 year shield for the Comet. I believe there is a 5 year one for almost twice the cost.
This is a Protect Maintenance plan which is different from Extended Warranty. This plan covers servicing and maintenance costs. This can be purchased in addition to Extended Warranty.

Thanks for sharing this though! I have been enquiring but was not able to get any document with detailed inclusions and exclusions as you have shared.
Old 2nd October 2023, 12:26   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
The aluminum-finished ‘eyelet’ on the driver seat is supposed to hold the seat belt so that you can easily reach it. In case you are unaware.
Well, as a user of the Comet, this feature is useless. Every so often, when you remove the seat belt, the retraction is so strong that the buckle gets pulled through the "eyelet". Now this makes it even more irritating, since the seat belt is going through the eyelet, but the buckle is behind, and you have to do circus to pull the belt out via the slit and bring the buckle back to the front.

Btw,
Quote:
2) Do you hear a strange sound when you release break like it's hitting something? Is this normal with all cars?
I was going through my E2O thread and I found that I had a "sound" issue on that car. They had mentioned something about a "spider gear". Are you still facing the issue with the sound on your Comet?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4409560 (Once a proud Mahindra E2O owner, I'm now absolutely frustrated with problems after a service visit)

Meanwhile, I continue to use the Comet. It's been, what, 3 months now, with maybe 2K kms of usage. I charge it every 7 days or so at work, and the car has been very practical and convenient to drive. I hate the ergonomics and the blind spot of the IRVM, but for my 10km (one-way) commute it is fine.

The seat can definitely be dropped lower (unless the batteries are below the seat) to improve visibility and it would be awesome if they are able to provide shorter stalks on the Accelerator and Brake pedals.

Each time I step into my Alcazar after driving Comet for a few weeks, it feels like I have got into a Baleno or Honda City. The Alcazar feels sooo low.

Oh, I don't think I have shared this one before.

Once you are done driving, you park, turn the gear to N, unplug your seatbets, and the doors unlock!. This is cool!

So basically there are three factors - Neutral, Seatbelt unfasten, Door unlock. If you activate 2 of the 3 factors, the 3rd one activates automatically.

Eg: previously I had showed that when you unlock the door, the car automatically goes into N. At that time, my seatbelts were unfastened.

However, there have been a few niggles.

1. The A/C sometimes turn off while driving. This happened I think one 1 or 2 days, but it did happen 4-5 times on those days. The A/C just turned off while the blower was still on. It's like someone pressed the A/C on/off dial. I thought it was due to driving on speed bumps or potholes, but I am not able to reproduce it consistently.

2. This one is more serious! The regen turns off very frequently when you go over a large pothole, or a speed bump at a moderate speed. I think it especially turns off when you are going downhill (i.e when the regen is working, and it encounters a jerk / shock).

There is one location where it has occurred consistently - While getting down the Hoodi flyover (towards Ayyappa Nagar) in Bangalore. It's downhill, there is a speed bump at the bottom, a sharp left turn, and horrid potholes. The perfect recipe for disaster!

The problem with this is that the car braking dynamics completely changes. It starts rolling freely when you release the accelerator and there is no "regen braking". So you will need to be more alert and brake sooner and more frequently.

After 1 minute or so, the regen re-activates automatically and things are back to normal.

For this reason I also don't like it when regen is turned off after a full charge. This happens even on my TVS iQube. I can understand that when battery is charged to 100% there is no place for the charge to go, but the dynamics of the vehicles become so different that it becomes weird to drive. They should do something to keep the regen mechanism active while throwing away the current produced, or leaving the regen circuit open.

I wonder how this works in premium cars like EQB/EQE, or EV6/Ionic.

3. My OCD kicked up when I was once looking at the steering while turning (maybe?). The steering wheel doesn't feel symmetric around the pivot.

If you see the below video, you will see that the outer circle is stable and doesn't move, however the inner horn part "wobbles" around the center. I can't unsee this now and it is very irritating.

That's it for this edition of my Comet usage review.
herculesksp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 17:50   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post

I was going through my E2O thread and I found that I had a "sound" issue on that car. They had mentioned something about a "spider gear". Are you still facing the issue with the sound on your Comet?
May be I got so used to it now that I don't notice it any more unless I start looking for it. Heard it's a normal sound behaviour in most cars where leaving brake pedal makes a little sound (like it's stopped by something while releasing compared to Gas Pedal) Guess this may be due to relatively quiet cabin of Comet. Same goes for a squeaking sound that my driver seat makes at times. Have to get it checked later. This may be due to some nut / bolt requires tightening.

Switching gears, Just a word of caution to while shifting from driver to passenger seat or vice versa (which is easy on comet compared to other cars) especially when on shorts or formal pants with buttons. If the button goes into seat belt buckle it can jam the assembly where in you have no option but replace the whole seat best buckle assembly which may be a pain.
Old 6th October 2023, 17:46   #309
BHPian

Since MG dropped the price on the ZS EV, does anyone think they might do a price reduction on the Comet EV?

As a former E2O+ owner, I am waiting for the niggles to be fixed before considering the Comet EV for city use. Real world feedback after a year of usage by people and responsiveness of the company in providing fixes, updates matter more than the car itself.
ohaak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 20:10   #310
BHPian

@MG - I hope you listen to you customers. When can we see updates to Instrument Cluster / Infotainment system Software? They are too basic. Need to be on par with others in the leagues. Some suggestions:

* MG recommends shallow charging as per the user manual but there is no option to cut the charging at 80% or less (even some two wheelers have this feature)
* Instrument cluster is too basic and boring. Can use some variety there (other cars have them).
* MG Comet EV has a decent canvas on the infotainment system). Option to watch videos when partked would be a great addition.
* Feature to remotely turn on the AC to cool the cabin from iSmart is missing. Did you even notice it till now? It's advertised in the brochure but over looked while implementation.
* Mutiple Trip meters would be a nifty addition.
* Android Auto is buggy at times and won't connect wirelessly
* Frequent software updates even to fix small bugs than waiting to push major ones would be great
* Wear OS software is bare minimum too and also keeps logging me out and defeats the purpose to unlock the car when needed (using this on Samsung Watch 4)
* Infotainment themes are too colourful on dark theme . Can have more minimalist themes that are classy on both?
There are some more but I guess this is good for now. Looking forward to getting these features soon.
raj3kdell is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 22:04   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
2. This one is more serious! The regen turns off very frequently when you go over a large pothole, or a speed bump at a moderate speed. I think it especially turns off when you are going downhill (i.e when the regen is working, and it encounters a jerk / shock).
Very good observation. This is something I observed too and is rather a serious issue if not fixed at the earliest. I hope this can be fixed with software update by MG.
raj3kdell is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 18:19   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheepmaurya View Post
Steering controls for Volume,
=======
People in this forum should know this info if they face this issue.
Thanks, I have the same problem, I will ask the local service team for a replacement as well!

------
Am I missing something here?
The MG iSMART app will lock and unlock the car. However, it does NOT allow me to start the car unless I have the key with me.
I get "Key not available" error message.
This defeats the whole purpose of using the Phone as a second key!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th October 2023 at 19:56. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Old 19th October 2023, 10:37   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLU View Post
The MG iSMART.....does NOT allow me to start the car
Please activate and use the digital key which is meant for this purpose. You can find this under 'My profile' section of the MG ismart app. Just make sure your phone has enough charge for the journey.
Old 19th October 2023, 11:18   #314

Quote:
Please activate and use the digital key which is meant for this purpose. You can find this under 'My profile' section of the MG ismart app.
Thanks,
Just checked the My Profile > Digital key Section ...
It has a button saying activate engine. This seems to start the car.
The tip section says that keyless start will be activated automatically when the vehicle is unlocked and will remain active for 120 seconds.
However, this does NOT appear to be the case.
Even if I press the brake pedal immediately after unlocking the car, it says "key not found" unless I press "Activate Engine" button on the Digital Key screen.
Is this true for others as well?
Old 19th October 2023, 12:44   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLU View Post
Even if I press the brake pedal immediately after unlocking the car, it says "key not found" unless I press "Activate Engine" button on the Digital Key screen.
Is this true for others as well?
I haven't tried digital key feature for sometime as I felt digital key experience has not been that reliable and in half baked stage. At times the handshake was not at all happening between mobile and car (with execution failed error). I wanted to give it sometime to see some updates fixes the issue but if this is still happening it's not good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks