Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2023, 19:26   #241
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3kdell View Post
It was a breeze installing and using them them and the wiring was simple as I could power it with the USB Port built into IRVM.

I have coupe of questions if you don't mind.

1) Did you also get only one key for Plush like mine? I was shocked.
2) Do you hear a strange sound when you release break like it's hitting something? Is this normal with all cars?
3) Have you tried iSmart? There seems to be no option to turn on the AC remotely as promised (only possible within the bluetooth range).
Huh? IRVM has a USB port? I didn't even notice that. Thanks for letting me know.

1) Yes, I too got only one key. They said that other copies can be made via the app based digital key. This was absurd.

2) I've not noticed anything that drastic like hitting something. When you depress the brake there is a mild humming sound - this is probably the regen at work, and when you lift off it the sound changes. Definitely not something that I would describe as "hitting" something.

3) The lady at the dealership said she'll come home and configure / setup iSmart and My MG. It's been raining heavily since yesterday in the evening, so she's had to cancel. I'll report back once I have it installed.

One of the issues is that I don't think the rear fog light works. Or maybe the switch is broken. The switch seems to be a spring loaded rocker switch and I've never seen a fog light switch that way. Well nothing lights up, so I will ask them to check the switch.
herculesksp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 22:10   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post

One of the issues is that I don't think the rear fog light works. Or maybe the switch is broken. The switch seems to be a spring loaded rocker switch and I've never seen a fog light switch that way. Well nothing lights up, so I will ask them to check the switch.
I too had similar issue but got it to work the other day somehow. Here is what is in the manual: "When the low beam of the headlamp is turned on, the rear fog lamp can be turned on by rotating the fog lamp switch on the wiper
operating lever." Try it let me know if it worked.
raj3kdell is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 17:24   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
I’m a 5’ 5” 13-year-old and I could comfortably sit there for short drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

Are you really!!??
Yes, Arsenic is in the first teen

Arsenic has started some 19 threads and 180+ posts and Thanked for 906 times so far
TeddyBear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 16:01   #244
BHPian

Just got the first service done in person for my Comet EV (Plush Variant). Experience has been decent though had to wait almost 7 hours due to may other cars. No major issues reported. Just got the Door Handle Garnish replaced for free (as it was not stuck properly first time) and 3M under chassis coating done (for 2k).

Was checking if they can move the IRVM position bit higher as it creates a blind spot but as it's factory fitted the answer was no as it's not recommended.

Impressed with the Dry wash/Interior clean quality (yes no pressure wash done any more in MG).

Switching gears on the topic, I feel more comfortable driving in Normal mode with Normal regen. While Eco has power after the vehicle starts moving, it takes little extra leg press to get the vehicle moving compared to Normal (just nit picking).
raj3kdell is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 11:36   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3kdell View Post
I too had similar issue but got it to work the other day somehow. Here is what is in the manual: "When the low beam of the headlamp is turned on, the rear fog lamp can be turned on by rotating the fog lamp switch on the wiper
operating lever." Try it let me know if it worked.
Thanks. This worked. I could swear I had tried all combinations before, but clearly not.

One interesting thing that happened since I wrote the previous post was that - it turns out MG Motor's social media team seems to reading through these posts and proactively stepped in and mediated on some of the points I had mentioned in the earlier post. While it was completely unexpected, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the customer focus that MG Motors is having.

I did not expect this at all and I can safely say that I will be happy to recommend MG Motors as a customer friendly brand and for doing what's right for the customer, proactively.

In between all this, I did turn in my car for the roof painting job and now I have my dual tone Comet.

MG Comet EV Review-img_2111.jpg

MG Comet EV Review-img_2112.jpg

Sharing a few more pics of the interiors (kindly excuse the model featured in the photos).

I am 6 feet, quite large, and I was able to sit comfortably in the rear seat with an inch or so gap between my knee and the seat in front (which was pushed all the way back). The tall window is quite large and let's in a lot of light. There is also 4 fingers worth of headroom for me while seated behind and I'm sure adults will be comfortable for short rides. Short rides because you do have to sit a little knees up and there is limited thigh support on the seats.

MG Comet EV Review-img_2120.jpg

MG Comet EV Review-img_2121.jpg

MG Comet EV Review-img_2122.jpg

Among other nice and unexpected features in the MG Comet EV.

+ The car seems to have a hill hold assist. In a slope when you have the brakes depressed and then lift off the brakes (in D mode at least), the car holds for about 1 sec and then rolls back. This will be super useful on gradients. This is definitely hill hold since the car doesn't have a creep function which could otherwise do the same thing.

Now I do realise that many reviews and posts say that it doesn't have hill hold. Maybe it is not advertised, or maybe it came as a software update, but I can assure you that it works.

+ The other nice thing (convenience) that I noticed was that when you leave the car in D mode and you step out of the car, the gear automatically switches to N. This combined with the feature where the car doesn't have an ON/OFF switch and auto-locks when you walk away means that you can literally just step out and walk away once you park and activate the parking brake. No need to mess about with any dials or switches.

I'm guess this is based on the key fob leaving the car boundaries, but I have to validate. I have a video of this below.

There were a bunch of more Aha moments when I got into the car today, but it slips my mind now. Probably a post for the future?
herculesksp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 14:01   #246
Senior - BHPian

To everyone who has purchased a Comet EV, congratulations on your bold & smart choice.

Haters going to hate, but the Comet is a very decent car for city commutes.
I spent 10 days with it for shoots, and it impressed me all the time.

For 3 days, during my shoot, I drove it from Thane - Eastern Freeway - CST - Asiatic Library - Gateway of India - Bademiya - Marine Drive - Worli Sea Face - Bandra Worli Sea Link - Mount Mary Church - Thane. On all 3 days, after starting my journey at 100%, I would return home with 40% or a little more battery left.

It is such a head turner, that you have 0 privacy inside the Comet. Everyone wants to peep inside.

Compared to the Tata Tiago EV, I would recommend the Comet EV. Tata's quality control, niggles and overall average packaging does not make a cut for me, in any of the segment where they are present.

Some Mumbai nightlife shots...

MG Comet EV Review-mac_0219-large.jpeg

MG Comet EV Review-mac_0190-large.jpeg

MG Comet EV Review-mac_0164-large.jpeg

MG Comet EV Review-mac_0125-large.jpeg

MG Comet EV Review-mac_0122-large.jpeg

MG Comet EV Review-mac_0080-large.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 17th August 2023 at 04:30. Reason: As requested
parrys is online now   (42) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 18:30   #247
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations on your purchase parrys : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
For 3 days, during my shoot, I drove it from Thane - Eastern Freeway - CST - Asiatic Library - Gateway of India - Bademiya - Marine Drive - Worli Sea Face - Bandra Worli Sea Link - Mount Mary Church - Thane. On all 3 days, after starting my journey at 100%, I would return home with 40% or a little more battery left.
I too live in Bombay, could you give some specific numbers on the range please? 100% to 40% or to even lower charge if you've pushed it. Were the conditions bumper to bumper traffic or was it free flowing traffic? does it even matter in an EV?

I am considering this purchase for my mom who is very short and would appreciate a taller seating position, has very little running and drives short distances but still would love to get some real world figures on the range.
Thank you.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 19:00   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Many congratulations on your purchase parrys : )

I too live in Bombay, could you give some specific numbers on the range please? 100% to 40% or to even lower charge if you've pushed it. Were the conditions bumper to bumper traffic or was it free flowing traffic? does it even matter in an EV?

I am considering this purchase for my mom who is very short and would appreciate a taller seating position, has very little running and drives short distances but still would love to get some real world figures on the range.
Thank you.
Have not purchased it, it was with me for a review shoot.

I drove it just the way I drive my Jazz diesel.
Speed ranged between 60-70 kmph on the highway.
Day 1 out of the 3, we were 3 adults on board.

110-115 km drive, ~60% battery charge utilised.
Free flowing traffic mostly, we were shooting at night.

I had it for nearly 10 days with me.
Did not get my Jazz out except for shoot tracking in these days.
It was as effortless as it could get.
AC performance in my opinion, could have been stronger.
Have to be little careful when driving over big potholes or broken roads, as the wheels are small.

For reference, I stay in Hiranandani Estate Thane. For an elderly person, who would mostly commute within 10-15 km radius, this is a good buy.
parrys is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 10:05   #249
BHPian

Quote:
We added an MG Comet (Plush) to our garage a few days back.
Since, the MG comet comes with only Type-2 and not the CCS2, so you will not be able to use any of the 4W EV external charger's. Any 2W EV charger's around your area that you have tried? Something that has the regular 16A socket where you can plug in the comet's portable charger?

Also can you confirm if it has a charger lock functionality? Basically plug in at any open charger and not be worried about the charger theft?
Old 13th August 2023, 10:12   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
Since, the MG comet comes with only Type-2 and not the CCS2, so you will not be able to use any of the 4W EV external charger's.
Why do you say so there are so many type-2 chargers today. It can charge on any of them. It cannot use ccs2 chargers.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 10:26   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
Since, the MG comet comes with only Type-2 and not the CCS2, so you will not be able to use any of the 4W EV external charger's. Any 2W EV charger's around your area that you have tried? Something that has the regular 16A socket where you can plug in the comet's portable charger?

Also can you confirm if it has a charger lock functionality? Basically plug in at any open charger and not be worried about the charger theft?
I haven't necessarily looked for public Type 2 charges or public 15A ports since I plan to drive this within city and I think I can manage the range. I have 15A plugs at office and I carry my portable charging adapter in the car at all times if I need to charge it at work.

However a Google search gave me these results
MG Comet EV Review-screenshot-20230813-10.16.32-am.png

Looks like there are some Type-2 (non CCS?) chargers around. Also I think there are enough Ather charging stations that use the Type 2 (I could be wrong) connectors. So we should be able to use that. 3.3KW and 7.2KW have the same ports and the car will draw the power it can handle.

Essentially any A/C charging station should work, the CCS2 extension is only for DC fast charging.

Regarding locking of charger, absolutely yes!!

Firstly, the car needs to be unlocked for the charging plug to be pushed all the way into the socket on the car. Once the car is locked it locks the charger into the port and there is no way that you can pull it out without unlocking the car.
herculesksp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 10:53   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Why do you say so there are so many type-2 chargers today. It can charge on any of them. It cannot use ccs2 chargers.
So my concern was based on the following observations -
1.) some of the CCS2 charging station don''t have Type-2 guns or 16A sockets
2.) MG comet's port cannot fit CCS2 gun...
3.) 2W chargers that had 16A sockets had limited parking space and if multiple docking stations exist then 2W folks would not take it kindly to a 4W parked and blocking the whole lot.

I hope that clarifies my query...

P.S. verifying the Comet for a friend and i felt this is a minor concern, both Tiago or Citroen won't have this limitation as they are CCS2 compatible...

Quote:
Looks like there are some Type-2 (non CCS?) chargers around. Also I think there are enough Ather charging stations that use the Type 2 (I could be wrong) connectors. So we should be able to use that. 3.3KW and 7.2KW have the same ports and the car will draw the power it can handle.

Essentially any A/C charging station should work, the CCS2 extension is only for DC fast charging.
While it does not matter to most of the folks looking at Comet as they will be charging at home. But i was just looking at the alternate scenario.
So if you check out these 3 locations there could be a probability that any of the above concerns that i had mentioned might be true for these.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-tpe2-vs-ccs2.jpg  

EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 10:34   #253
BHPian

Discovered one more interesting thing on the Comet. The door auto unlocks when you put it into Neutral.

This might look obvious, but many cars don't do this, or would do this when you put it into P (parking) mode. Since Comet doesn't have P mode, it makes sense that it has to be done in N mode.

Small, but useful conveniences.

herculesksp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 12:03   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
To everyone who has purchased a Comet EV, congratulations on your bold & smart choice.

Haters going to hate, but the Comet is a very decent car for city commutes.
I spent 10 days with it for shoots, and it impressed me all the time.
Hi parrys - Have you given a thought about tyre upsize in MG Comet from 145/70/R12 to 165/55/R13 (with variation of 0.77%). Will tyre upsize improve ride quality, comfort and stability will be better?
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 14:47   #255
BHPian

I was able to test Digital Key Sharing and it works fine. Was able to unlock the Car and activate the Drive mode. Haven't driven long though. That's for another day.

Approach unlock (walkaway lock) feature is cool and convenient, works as intended but I have a feeling this may bring down the 12V batter down a bit which in turn impacts the HV battery as it requires constantly checking the proximity of the key within the range.

Some Gripes:
Still missing Remote AC on feature which was promised in the brochure as a part of iSmart connected features. This means I cannot cool the Interiors before I reach the car. I really hope MG incorporates this without further delay.

Moreover, Instrument cluster provides bare minimum details compared to competition. For instance, no Mileage calculation (KW/KM) which can help improve driving efficiency (atleast need it on iSmart), no themes as default theme is boring (anlogue type themes would be fun), Trip Counter reset (by the way only one trip counter for now) option is burried within menu on the Infortainment System (not very convenient).

Quote:
Thanks. This worked. I could swear I had tried all combinations before, but clearly not.

One interesting thing that happened since I wrote the previous post was that - it turns out MG Motor's social media team seems to reading through these posts and proactively stepped in and mediated on some of the points I had mentioned in the earlier post. While it was completely unexpected, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the customer focus that MG Motors is having.
Interesting to hear MG Team is keeping an eye on this thread. Really appreciate that if they do. However, how did you figure that out? Did they reach out to you? Which problems were addressed. Just curious!

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th August 2023 at 14:47. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
raj3kdell is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks