Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 12:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Track your MG Comet EV order on the MyMG App

MG Motor India has launched a 'Track and Trace' feature on the MyMG App that allows customers to track the status of their car booking from their phones.

MG Comet EV Review-track-trace.jpg

The MG Comet EV was launched in April this year. The small electric hatchback comes with prices starting from Rs 7.98 lakh (ex-showroom). Customers can book the car by paying a token amount of Rs 11,000 online or at their nearest MG dealership.

The Comet EV uses a 17.3 kWh battery pack that is said to offer a range of 230 km on a single charge. It powers an electric motor that generates 41 BHP and 110 Nm. According to MG, the battery can be charged from 0-100% in 7 hours using a 3.3 kW charger. It charges from 10-80% in 5 hours.

The Comet EV comes with a 3-year vehicle warranty, an 8-year battery warranty, as well as labour-free services and roadside assistance for 3 years. MG is also offering a 3-year / 60% buyback offer.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 13:57   #167
Senior - BHPian

MG Comet bookings open now, introductory pricing is applicable for first 5000 customers.

MG Comet EV Review-fb_img_1684139097254.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 16:28   #168
BHPian

Final Update

Today I took second test drive for Comet and finally cancelled the booking. This car was much better and had no issues which were in the first car - alignment, brakes all were off in my first test drive vehicle.

Pros -

- Good pick up
- Smooth drive on good roads
- Very nice infotainment (till it lasted)

Cons -

- Suspension was really bad specially at speed breakers
- AC took lot of time to cool the car. Yes it was 42 degrees in Gurgaon still I expected better.
- The nail in the coffin was the infotainment screen died in middle of the test drive. There was no display. Sales member tried to touch the screen and it actually made call from my phone. That means touch was working but display was dead. Also music was still being played.
- Further, sales guys said lets switch off and on the car and see if infotainment works but we cannot do that. The only option was we stop the car and then go away with the key and car will automatically stop. So we cannot restart the car while sitting inside.

This is when I was sure that this is not the right time to buy COMET. Hopefully next year version will fix initial niggles like brakes, infotainment, suspension etc.

MG Comet EV Review-whatsapp-image-20230515-4.07.17-pm.jpeg

MG Comet EV Review-screenshot-20230515-4.27.18-pm.png

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th May 2023 at 12:52. Reason: Fixing caps where needed and typos.
Manuggn is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 09:31   #169
BHPian

Thanks for sharing - this is important and useful information for people sitting on the fence like me to wait longer as this is still an undercooked product that would need time to soften the rough edges. Hope MG does it soon or will hurt its image with people who are willing to give it a shot. Really hope it doesn't treat the first lot of users as Guinea pigs as it might not just affect the brand but the perception of a whole lot of first adopters in the affordable EV space.
TejasV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 09:57   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuggn View Post

- Further Sales guys said lets switch off and On the car and see if Infotainment works but we cannot do that. The only option was we stop the car and then go away with the key and car will automatically stop. So we cannot restart the car while sitting inside.

Attachment 2451606

Attachment 2451608
Actually, there is a way in which you can reset the infotainment system if frozen. The star button on the right side of the steering wheel should be held for 30 seconds & the infotainment system will reboot.

Probably the Sales guy had no idea about it. Further, there is also a way to shut down the car while sitting inside.

MG Comet EV Review-untitled.png

Last edited by graaja : 16th May 2023 at 10:17. Reason: Inserting picture
Harsh_sharma is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 11:31   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsh_sharma View Post
Actually, there is a way in which you can reset the infotainment system if frozen. The star button on the right side of the steering wheel should be held for 30 seconds & the infotainment system will reboot.

Probably the Sales guy had no idea about it. Further, there is also a way to shut down the car while sitting inside.

Attachment 2451748
Thanks for the details. You are right sales guy was not aware about it.
Manuggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 13:29   #172
BHPian

I wish BYD comes out with an affordable EV in India soon given their superior EV tech and market dominance in China. They have already overtaken Tesla in volumes sold and also their battery tech (Blade) is quite advanced as even Tesla apparently has been buying them. The current model introduced by BYD is way too expensive, maybe done to shrug off the "Cheap Chinese" image before they start manufacturing locally to drop prices.
outdoorlover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 14:50   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I had the opportunity to TD a Comet this afternoon, and benchmark it against my E2O Plus P6.
Thanks for this sir! I have forever maintained that Mahindra blew a potentially blockbuster car in the form of the e2O+. It is/was exactly the EV we really needed. A perfectly sized practical EV for city use. They should have kept faith in this project and worked with developing battery technology, to eventually add more realistic range to it. I'd buy one even today with a range slightly lesser than the TiagoEV even. It just trumps the city confines like no other.

Your comparison really shows how wonderful the e2O+ really was, especially for the time when it came to the market. Can't believe that Mahindra is so far behind others now in the EV area.

As for the Comet - indeed I also feel the wheels are tad too small for what our roads tend to throw at us. Especially in my nick of the woods here around Pune. A tall car with such small wheels and wheelbase, is bound to have a bouncy-castle mode on our roads here. I'm also a bit surprised that MG did not think it was necessary to have 4 doors for a car to be accepted more in India. Its like they've kept 2 rear seats, just because nobody will buy a car if it has just 2 front seats. Not for actual use by average sized people.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 14:52   #174
BHPian

MG Comet inspite of its modern day niceties, refinement, range and power (when compared to an E20) lacks the proper adjustable rear head restraints. I think carmakers should save money elsewhere and should not skip life savings items. However, recently i have noticed that some automakers are proactively working on this front by providing adjustable rear head restraints across the range. I would like to request all the makers to provide their cars with adjustable rear head restraints as standard irrespective of the price bracket. As all lives are equally precious rich or not IMHO.
Phantom 510 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 15:57   #175
BHPian

We have a E2O at home and have recently crossed 55,000 kms on the ODO. There have been 3 major expenses - 1) the AC unit, cost about 25 k 2) the gear slot hand lever was not smooth and would not slot, cost about 12-13k 3) battery deterioration and it required assembly which was about 17k. Overall takes about 3.5 hrs from 16 amp charger to charge from 15% to 100%. It has a range of 97 kms on one charge (earlier it was 110 kms) and with AC gives about 75 kms.

The E2O has proper 4 doors, has a boot for cabin size 2 bags or 1 international check in. It has 4 proper seats. Minus seatbelts there is really no safety to write home about. Top speed is 75 or so. I use it as daily commute in Bangalore and in a week I am regularly doing 325-350 kms or so. Sometimes almost 1800-2000 kms also.

I love city cars with small geographical footprint, almost no expense on daily run, service cost of Rs 450 or so. Otherwise just easy ownership. Any Maruti or Comet would do.

I have also explored MG and for now not moved towards it. While neither E2O or Comet will qualify as proper cars, but within the uses of a city the size of Bangalore they serve the purpose. For now, electric cars are good second cars at home, errand and daily commute for 20 plus days in a month. To me, long distance is a good trusted SUV - safety, space, rugged, having all the bells and whistles. For that, I have a Ford Endeavour 3.2.

While I give full marks to Comet for the cuteness quotient and a very good build quality, finesse and workmanship (something Mahindra will need to learn)...I think a 4 door and bigger tires is what I would have wanted in Comet.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 16:43   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
We have a E2O at home and have recently crossed 55,000 kms on the ODO. There have been 3 major expenses - 1) the AC unit, cost about 25 k 2) the gear slot hand lever was not smooth and would not slot, cost about 12-13k 3) battery deterioration and it required assembly which was about 17k. Overall takes about 3.5 hrs from 16 amp charger to charge from 15% to 100%. It has a range of 97 kms on one charge (earlier it was 110 kms) and with AC gives about 75 kms.

The E2O has proper 4 doors, has a boot for cabin size 2 bags or 1 international check in. It has 4 proper seats. Minus seatbelts there is really no safety to write home about. Top speed is 75 or so. I use it as daily commute in Bangalore and in a week I am regularly doing 325-350 kms or so. Sometimes almost 1800-2000 kms also.

I love city cars with small geographical footprint, almost no expense on daily run, service cost of Rs 450 or so. Otherwise just easy ownership. Any Maruti or Comet would do.

I have also explored MG and for now not moved towards it. While neither E2O or Comet will qualify as proper cars, but within the uses of a city the size of Bangalore they serve the purpose. For now, electric cars are good second cars at home, errand and daily commute for 20 plus days in a month. To me, long distance is a good trusted SUV - safety, space, rugged, having all the bells and whistles. For that, I have a Ford Endeavour 3.2.

While I give full marks to Comet for the cuteness quotient and a very good build quality, finesse and workmanship (something Mahindra will need to learn)...I think a 4 door and bigger tires is what I would have wanted in Comet.

Cheers
Rajain
Hi Rajain - I agree with your point about EV. I drive Honda City to office (65km per day) and I am always solo in the car and in last 5+ years, it was just 4-5 days when I had to drop one of my colleague on my way back home.

I observe things around me and realized that most of the cars during office hours (may be more than 75%) on road are solo driven or maximum 2 people at best. I think those who have an ICE car at home can consider EV for daily office run. It offers tremendous savings and drive is just so good.

I was very seriously considering EV as my second car at home. When Comet price announced I was very happy assuming that 7.98 lacs is of top of the line variant. But when I came to know the price of all variants, I found Tiago EV better value. However, I am still not comfortable with interior of Tiago and I still have doubt on Tata handling current gen EV say after 2 years from now.

I am waiting for price announcement of Punch EV and if they launch MR-XT level equipped version at 9.99 lacs ex showroom, I may go for it. I am okay with 160 to 170km range on a single charge because I believe if we can charge our mobile phone every day, we can do same for our EV (once in two days).

The saving I get from an EV, I may recover my buying cost in 6 to 7 years. Currently I am spending around Rs.11000/- on petrol per month (just office & weekend run), which will reduce to Rs.1800/- for EV charging and Rs.1000 for petrol for weekend runs. This is less than if I travel in Metro train for office.

Lots of apprehension we all have regarding battery degradation or battery replacement. I feel that battery degradation may be 5% to 10% after 5 to 6 years (after more than 1 lac km driven) and one may have to change some cells (not the entire battery) after say 8 years or so. The cost of replacing cells may not be as expensive as most of us are assuming.

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 16th May 2023 at 16:51.
GoBabyGo is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 19:39   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
I feel that battery degradation may be 5% to 10% after 5 to 6 years (after more than 1 lac km driven) and one may have to change some cells (not the entire battery) after say 8 years or so. The cost of replacing cells may not be as expensive as most of us are assuming.
Nothing like it if this is true. Is there any example / POC of it already available somewhere? The way the Li-Po/Ion batteries in all electronic devices literally fall off a cliff after 2-3 years of usage, has always been a roadblock for me. Otherwise I just love EVs. Of course I understand its naive to compare a small 4000mAh battery of a phone with a complex multi-cell battery pack of a car. But then - its Li-Ion afterall, how much will it differ, is what the mind worries.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 16:40   #178
BHPian

The rear seat seems to be lacking in space, and considering the need for more room among Indians, it's a bit disheartening. Moreover, with the increasing difficulty in accessing the rear seat, it's becoming harder for me to believe that this design will be a smashing success for that price point.
Old 17th May 2023, 18:47   #179
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Nothing like it if this is true. Is there any example / POC of it already available somewhere? The way the Li-Po/Ion batteries in all electronic devices literally fall off a cliff after 2-3 years of usage, has always been a roadblock for me. Otherwise I just love EVs. Of course I understand its naive to compare a small 4000mAh battery of a phone with a complex multi-cell battery pack of a car. But then - its Li-Ion afterall, how much will it differ, is what the mind worries.
1. Tata is giving 8 years/160000 KM warranty on battery. Other manufacturers also give similar/equivalent warranties on battery.
2. Many studies predict 2000 to 3000 charging cycles life for EV batteries

Both above should soothe our nerves !

Thanks
JLS
JLS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 20:21   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
1. Tata is giving 8 years/160000 KM warranty on battery. Other manufacturers also give similar/equivalent warranties on battery.
Indeed most are going ahead claiming 8 years warranty. 8 Years is a very long time. Current battery (Li-Ion) technology for sure doesn't have the capability to retain similar charge capacity for 8 long years. Now a days, warranty is a rather lame thing in my opinion. There are too many escape hatches for the OEM in warranty terms and conditions.

There is no way that a warranty will cover for a severely depleted EV range after 4-5 years. That will be termed as normal operational decay / usage linked wear and tear. The warranty will only cover for mishaps / total failures / manufacturing defects etc. I'm sure of it. Currently highly regarded car-makers are known to shamelessly decline warranty claims, where there are evident manufacturing defects even. So no way I'm finding peace with warranty promises, especially from new entrants like MG.

And a significantly reduced range after 4 years, for already what is a very limited range on day 1 - will keep me away from EVs as a primary vehicle for now. EV for me, can only be a city run-about, and that means, I would want it at a price that justifies buying a car for "mirchi-kothimir shopping". Currently they tend to be far costlier for this purpose . Especially if one has a hatchback already. New customers - yes surely. But not making a case for an existing car owner to switch to EV by spending nearly a million rupees more.

Anyway - I digress. Apologies for the OT.

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th May 2023 at 20:26.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks