Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2023, 15:31   #31

Re: Unauthorised repair job caused Nexon EV fire: Tata Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
If the vehicle underwent repair at an unauthorized service center, none of these arguments hold good. The manufacturer can always argue that even the failsafe mechanisms were altered. Most workshops that replace headlamps with high-power ones, mess with the fuses too.
If I may disagree. We don't have any of these issues with the Petrol/Diesel etc., cars.

This tells me that the car electrical wiring design has not been as good as it could be. The finger points BACK at Tata.
love_travelling is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 15:46   #32
BHPian

Frankly, if the car is under warranty and insurance is available, why did the insurance company not get it done from authorised service center?

The same insurance company will deny insurance if anything is altered in car in case of road accident.

Last edited by sagsaw : 20th April 2023 at 15:50.
sagsaw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 15:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboy View Post
Vehicle manufacturers always have the habit of washing their hands if in case there is an issue with the vehicle and when the work is done in an unauthorised workshop. All the manufacturers state in the owners manual that if any kind of repair work is done in an unauthorised workshop then the warranty would be void. So it is no surprise regarding the statement that Tata Motors has released regarding this fire incident. There was also an incident of Nexon catching fire last year. Tata Motors has said at that time that there are probing the incident but so far are yet to release their findings on that fire incident which may lead us to believe that they have hushed it up.
The incident of last year has been investigated by TATA and they are ok to release a statement but GoI (Government of India) opened their own investigation into the matter. They are not allowed to do so till the time govt releases their report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
Frankly, if the car is under warranty and insurance is available, why did the insurance company not get it done from authorised service center?

The same insurance company will deny insurance if anything is altered in car in case of road accident.
The insurance company didn't have a cashless tie up with TATA workshop so they suggested a outside workshop which they had tie up with.
Old 20th April 2023, 15:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post

The insurance company didn't have a cashless tie up with TATA workshop so they suggested a outside workshop which they had tie up with.
So then the insurance company shouldnt have done it from outside because the same insurance company will deny claim in case of normal road accident if any changes done some as frivolous as unauthorized speaker fitment from outsode showroom. Am trying to find such horror stpries on internet from my old bookmarks.
sagsaw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 16:08   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboy View Post
All the manufacturers state in the owners manual that if any kind of repair work is done in an unauthorised workshop then the warranty would be void. So it is no surprise regarding the statement that Tata Motors has released regarding this fire incident.

There was also an incident of Nexon catching fire last year. Tata Motors has said at that time that there are probing the incident but so far are yet to release their findings on that fire incident which may lead us to believe that they have hushed it up.
It is industry norm across all manufacturers to not honour warranty if the car was worked on by anyone other than their own A.S.S. Don't know why we are beating this to death then? Tata is not alone. Besides, this was not just routine repair or light fitment. It was an accident repair which tend to be very complex to sort out, on account of the twisted/mangled mess.

Regarding Nexon fire, please look up this thread, right here on teambhp.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5533528 (Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India)

I have spent good amount of time going through this thread, started in 2008. You will find all brands here, from budget hatchbacks to super cars. I have not seen any car maker bothering to release (in your own words) their findings there. If I have missed any, please point that out. Again why single out Tata?

I will blame Tata for different reasons. Halogen headlamps on their Nexons. Are we still in 90s? A hatchback like Maruti Baleno has all-white LED lamps up front. How hard is to give white lights? No wonder most of the Nexon owners rush to aftermarket shops majorly for these lights. I hope they fix this issue in their facelift.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 16:10   #36
BHPian

A fuse is designed for only one purpose, to protect equipment upstream against Over current situation downstream. If a fuse does not blow during over current conditions, then there is a problem with the fuse.

In an electrical circuit, there are multiple fuses. The primary fuse which guards the Battery is rated higher than a circuit fuse which supplies say indicator lamps. Each circuit will have a fuse. The fuse ratings are for specific OEM devices. A Fog lamp by X company will not have the same rating as a similar lamp from a company Y and even if they do, under shorting, they would draw different currents. So, if you are replacing X (OEM supplier) with Y then there is a risk. Usually circuit designers allow for 20-25% loading on existing circuits without the risk of overload.

Nowadays, eFuses are replacing the old Filament tube types as they are more efficient and have a better breaking efficiency than a normal one. I'm not sure what type of Fuses Nexon has. I'm not a buyer if they are still using Filament type for an eVehicle.

From what i understand, it only the headlight portion of the vehicle which is damaged indicating that probably a mechanical short between a current carrying wire to the body causing a spark which ignited a flammable gasket or something. It would be reassuring if the battery held its ground. Most EV fires are due to failure to disconnect during overcharging which results in a battery explosion, a far more dangerous situation.

On a general note, electrical systems, except a motor, are not exactly designed for movement. They prefer to be stationary. Unlike mechanical systems which would simply limp even if you hit them mildly, an electrical system does not not take kindly to such insults. So its important to cover them up in proper mechanical conduits so that they are not exposed.

Last edited by srini1785 : 20th April 2023 at 16:12.
Old 20th April 2023, 16:18   #37
bkc
BHPian

I Have always used 90/100relay kits on my swift. I have done 1,48,000 kms and is on 4th relay kit.

Brands used - Minda, Hella, Eveready and now on Vaishnu.
Vaishnu seems to have good fuse contacts, all the others have issues near fuse box only, the fuse has loose contact, and cause Arc.
The Arc is so bad that, it even burns the wire connecting fuse.
Luckily, didn't cause fire anytime.

Advice to all using relay kits, keep monitoring the wire connected to the fuse box, of the wiring kit.

Can it cause fire? Dono, may be a leaky fuel filter, can spray fuel over engine bay, the Arc can cause fire.

Regarding EV fire incident, Tata has, all the rights to point to the altered headlight.

I'm into construction, in our field, if the interior work is done by the customer and their carpenter drills through the concealed water lines or electric lines, it can be disastrous, leading to grounding, ELCB cutoff, seepage, paint erosion.

If it is informed by the carpenter, it's fine, if he hides, it is troublesome for both house owners and builders.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 16:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Kind of something that is almost bizarre. The manufacturer may have the right to say that the car was serviced at a repair shop outside TAMO but how logical is that? A blown headlight leads to a car catching fire? If that is the case, then these vehicles will never be a full option to Indians. Would they agree that there was a genuine fault with the vehicle if it was repaired at a TATA service center? If the vehicle is so sensitive, it doesn't deserve to be on Indian roads.
Old 20th April 2023, 17:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Kind of something that is almost bizarre. The manufacturer may have the right to say that the car was serviced at a repair shop outside TAMO but how logical is that? A blown headlight leads to a car catching fire? If that is the case, then these vehicles will never be a full option to Indians. Would they agree that there was a genuine fault with the vehicle if it was repaired at a TATA service center? If the vehicle is so sensitive, it doesn't deserve to be on Indian roads.
It is hundred percent logical because they cannot attest to the quality of repair done by someone else. Some simple questions that come to mind - was the wiring loom repaired or changed? was the headlight repaired or changed, were the headlight bulbs used as the correct rating as per the vehicle.

TATA came out with a statement to clarify that the fire was not because the car was a EV, it was because of some shoddy repair work. If it had been a ICE car, then also it would have met the same fate.

I will reiterate no manufacturer release statements on car fire or does investigations. As this vehicle was EV and media / junta starts portraying that it is an EV that is why it burnt, Tata motors wanted to put that thought process to rest.
Old 20th April 2023, 19:06   #40
BHPian

Forget fire issues. Take your car to the service center during warranty period for even a frivolous issue and they discover that you have gone through an aftermarket mod somewhere outside. That is it!.

They jump on you citing it as the reason for all your worries and immediately deny any warranty claims.

Of course, there was every chance of the electrical system screwed up in this unfortunate incident. Even if that was not the case, TATA (or any car maker) will quote it and close the case.

Why talk about warranty period only? Even after the warranty is over, get a routine service done at Bosch or at an FNG and walk into their ASC for the next service a year and 15,000 kms later (with the car running absolutely fine). Expect drama when they check their service records and find one scheduled service missing. Inform them about the 'unauthorized' service and watch their faces!. Pray to God when they start this service!. Expect all kinds of accusations against you with A,B,C and D needing replacements because of your previous service .
Old 20th April 2023, 19:22   #41

Well I have been a TATA Car fan and also own 2 of them (Nexon & Punch), however always taking side for any brand whatsoever would make me sound biased to some extent.

We must all agree that TATA is running way ahead when it comes to the EV segment competing hands down with all its rivals across the country, however when it comes to quality control and RnD against repetitive issues/failures, I found they are responding fast on social media rather they should be actually taking pains to actually find the actual root cause of the issues coming often with their EVs.
Doing so will not only help build consumer-trust over EV vehicles against their reliability, but it will also help us attain the 50% EV target in the coming decades for out country.

Like TATA claimed that it was a result of a third party repair in the lights and this caused to have caused short-circuit causing thermal incident causing fire and hence burning down the vehicle as we can see in the picture.
But my question is, are our vehicles not that smart to discover a spark, short circuit, thermal incident and suppress it with a total circuit-break to avoid such incidents.
Even our homes have complex and huge wiring network running on high voltage lines with countless devices, however with just one MCB, we are insured that it will cutoff and trip down in any such incidents and save everything.

Not just TATA, all car makers must do more RnD to ensure their product reliability to ensure their customer's safety as well as their car's safety because "EVs ARE NOT CHEAP at all."
Old 20th April 2023, 19:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

The fire and related damages appears to have been concentrated around the headlight. I have no reason not to believe Tata's statement.

But I am curious as to why a brand new car was repaired outside the showroom and to the extent of the repairs. Was it just a bulb replaced? The whole assembly?
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 19:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
The fire and related damages appears to have been concentrated around the headlight. I have no reason not to believe Tata's statement.

But I am curious as to why a brand new car was repaired outside the showroom and to the extent of the repairs. Was it just a bulb replaced? The whole assembly?
The car had an accident and insurance company forced the owner to get it repaired outside ASC to avail cashless benefits.

If it was just a headlight replacement then fingers should be pointed at Tata but accident repair outside authorised service centre is the root cause here

Last edited by steadfast : 20th April 2023 at 19:56.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 20:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
The car had an accident and insurance company forced the owner to get it repaired outside ASC to avail cashless benefits.

If it was just a headlight replacement then fingers should be pointed at Tata but accident repair outside authorised service centre is the root cause here
Then claim full loss against insurance and raise a massive fuss, maybe even news coverage against them and the garage for forcing repairs from untrained people and putting people's lives in danger. Maybe even demand return to invoice or a brand new car from the insurance company. For all their problems, this is not Tata's fault.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 21:14   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
What’s so bizarre about this? I have spent a number of years in UAE, and anyone who has stayed there will vouch for what I am about to say:

In summer, tens of cars just go up in flames just standing parked. And these are not cars in poor condition, each car needs to be pass a road worthiness test to renew its registration every year. These cars are Toyotas, Nissans, Mazdas, Fords and every other car make. There is no distinction in the make of car which are involved in these incidents.
PratikPatel is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks