Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2023, 14:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look

Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-1.jpg

Since the Tata Nexon EV Max has already been reviewed by Team-BHP, this report will only focus on changes made to the Dark edition. To read the full official review, click here.

Introduction

Tata has found a way to convince Indian buyers to buy black coloured cars with their ‘Dark’ edition. The Dark edition cars have been hugely popular and continuing with the streak, they’ve introduced the theme on the Nexon EV Max as well. Since the Nexon is slated for a refresh later this year, these editions will help clear out the stock as well. We got a chance to take a close look at the Nexon EV Max Dark edition.

So, what's new on the outside?

True to most Dark edition cars, there are blacked-out elements, but since this is an EV, you also get blue coloured accents. The ‘Humanity line’ and the faux skid plate have been blacked out here:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-2.jpg

Over to the side, the blue coloured window line has been blacked out:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-3.jpg

You get ‘#DARK’ badge on the fenders. Notice that the metallic black shade has plenty of flakes:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-4.jpg

16-inch alloy wheels have a similar design as the regular Nexon EV Max but are finished in a greyish black shade. IMO the regular dual-tone alloys look better (reference image):
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-5.jpg

Roof rails are also finished in black:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-6.jpg

At the rear, Tata’s ‘X-Factor’ strip is also finished in black and looks so much better than the regular car. Chrome ‘Nexon’ badge is all-black here:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-7.jpg

Just like the front, the rear faux skid plate is finished in black:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-8.jpg

So, what's new on the inside?

On the inside, you have an all-black dashboard. Also, the biggest change on the inside, apart from the design, is the new 10.25-inch touchscreen:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-9.jpg

A closer look at the tri-arrow detailing on the dashboard trim:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-19.jpg

The doorpads, including the leather insert near the armrest, also get an all-black treatment:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-10.jpg

Even the door handles are finished in black:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-11.jpg

The Dark edition comes with black leather upholstery:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-12.jpg

‘#DARK’ embossing on the headrest and contrast blue stitching:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-13.jpg

A look at the rear seat with the black upholstery:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-14.jpg

Even the roofliner and the sunroof control panel are finished in black:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-15.jpg

New 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment by Harman has a high-resolution display (1920x720). Tata also claims to have enhanced the audio performance with sharp notes and bass performance. You can have multiple widgets on the homescreen. There’s also an inbuilt air purifier and you can check the AQI at any time. Menu screen is well laid out and you also get quick shortcuts on top of the touchscreen:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-16.jpg

Apart from the physical buttons down below, you can operate the air conditioning through the touchscreen. You can also access various vehicle settings through the touchscreen. A new feature is wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity. Tried connecting through both and it was pretty seamless:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-17.jpg

Tata has also upgraded the reversing camera. Now the display is clearer and you also have a close up angle that you can choose. You get adaptive guidelines and can switch to a full-screen display at any time:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-18.jpg

Another small change to the Nexon EV Max is that Tata has added another level of regeneration. You now get a total of 5 levels - 0,1,2,3 & 4:
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-tatanexonevmaxdark-20.jpg
Omkar is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 14:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 15:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

That infotainment has surely improved the cabin feel, but that speedometer cluster

This is the Tata Manza Club Class from 2012, and I find the speedo needles to be much more premium than what you see in this Nexon. (Of course the old Manza misses out on information in the form of a digital MID)
Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-manzaclubclass015.jpg
parrys is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 15:03   #4
BHPian

Having a dark edition on the Max lineup is a welcoming change.
No major updates except the crispy 10-inch screen which is eventually going to be rolled out on all variants.
Having bought a Max variant last month, I would be happy if this unit can be retrofitted in existing cars as well.
rahul1407 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 15:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition launched; gets larger touchscreen

Tata Motors has launched the Nexon EV Max Dark Edition. The electric SUV is available in two variants: XZ+ Lux and XZ+ Lux, with a 7.2 kW AC charger, priced at Rs 19.04 lakh and Rs 19.54 lakh (ex-showroom), respectively.

Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-exteriormax.jpg

The Nexon EV Max Dark Edition gets a Midnight Black exterior with 16-inch Charcoal Grey alloy wheels, Satin Black humanity line and '#Dark' badges. The front fascia comprises of a blanked-out grille with a blue EV badge flanked by headlamps with integrated tri-arrow LED daytime running lights.

Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-seats.jpg

The Nexon EV Max Dark Edition get an all-black interior with blue accents. The most notable upgrade is the larger 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system. It comes with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, a voice assistant and a new EV display theme. The car is also equipped with features such as ventilated front seats, an electric sunroof, automatic climate control, cruise control, a wireless charger and an air purifier.

Like the standard car, the Dark Edition also uses a 40.5 kWh battery pack, which powers an electric motor with an output of 141 BHP and 250 Nm. It has an ARAI-certified range of 453 km on a single charge.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 17th April 2023 at 15:37.
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 17:22   #6
BHPian

Will the Nexon EV get the facelift expected on the ICE variants as well? If so, why launch a new version at this point in time? Is the expected facelift far off in the future (or at least longer than rumored)?
rroy92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 19:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Going a bit off topic: please forgive me:
Somehow, (and this is a completely personal thing), I just simply cannot fathom the recent car buyers' fascination and love for black coloured cars. It started with Tata, then i think MG(?) did something, then Nexa Maruti and Hyundai also experimented with black on the Creta.

In a country where the ambient temperature hovers close to 40 degree Celsius over 80% of the land mass for 9 months, my feeling is that black cars may heat up more compared to their lighter coloured siblings, (not to mention the extra solar load the HVAC system has to fend off).

Black cars can look extremely sleek and nice if the car has enough length to give "mass" to the "black".
As all of us know, black makes things look more compact, hence on shorter, smaller cars, black does not look good. They do not have the length particularly in profile, to look long and elegant. Also, I have seen these cars are quite difficult to spot in the dark, specially on highways and hilly roads, pmore so if they are parked with their lights off by the wayside.

Being an old codger, I have seen and ridden in many jet black cars my grandfather used to own. Particularly the Amercian one's: Dodge Kingsway, Oldsmobile Hydramatic Rocket 99, Chevrolet Impala(finned version), Chevrolet Bel-Air and the last all black car I rode was the Ambassador Mark-2.
All these cars looked majestic. And had contrasting interiors. The Chevy's had deep maroon leather interiors, the Olds had fawn coloured upholstery and doorpads, the Dodge had some incredibly soft off-white leather on foam with red piping and the Amby had carnation red leather benches. And Whitewall tyres!

Somehow I feel that elegance is missing in today's black models and this i pin it down to styling and the paucity of overall length. Sub 4metre just do not do justice to black.

Hope OEM's start offering some other shades too. The Olive Green on the Nexon looks beautiful. So does the Teal and the Plum shade on offer on the Tiago & Tigor's. About time manufacturers made our roads a bit more "colourful" ?
arjab is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 20:55   #8
BHPian

I love the exterior view of the car, but its too much dark on the interior in my opinion. I won't ever prefer that. For some reason darker interiors means cabin don't feel airy for me.
Old 17th April 2023, 23:40   #9
BHPian

So we have a brand new 10" infotainment screen on an EV, with NO EV specific data to show for! I haven't found one reviewer focusing on this point and are always talking about the aesthetics (paint job).
Why can't they show EV data like:
  1. charging speed
  2. incoming voltage and amps
  3. live wh consumption and regen charge
  4. Total kwh remaining
  5. Nearest charging station (even if it is limited to Tata Power)

But all we get is new media player or new skin..Wow
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 00:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Attachment 2438474
Another small change to the Nexon EV Max is that Tata has added another level of regeneration. You now get a total of 5 levels - 0,1,2,3 & 4:
Attachment 2440733
As per TAMO's website - Multi-mode regenerative braking 4 Levels (Level 0 - 1 - 2 - 3) 0 - No regen, 3 - Max. regen. Looks like there’s no change in regen levels after all.
Old 18th April 2023, 15:09   #11
BANNED

Isn't a facelift on the anvil, for July month? Why is this one launched then? Does it mean facelift is only for ICE versions?

I took a test drive of Nexon EV Prime and Max and both seem to suffer from delayed reaction to inputs. First, when you turn the rotary dial to D, it takes 1.5 seconds to engage D mode. Next, after engaging D, when your foot comes off brake pedal, it takes full 1.5 to 2 seconds to get the car moving. This was very irritating at traffic lights. Honks went off behind me ( 2 seconds is a pretty big time at traffic-lights). In normal ICE automatic cars, as soon as your foot starts to ease on brake pedal, car starts moving. Not even a micro second delay. Is there any way around this problem?

This is the reason why you see Nexon EV losing initially and then catching up, in those youtube drag races videos with other cars. Is this common issue across all EVs like, Tiago EV, Citroen C3 EV, MG ZS EV etc., or is it just a Nexon-specific issue?
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 15:09   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors introduces the new Nexon EV MAX DARK

Press Release

Tata Nexon EV Max Dark Edition : A Close Look-smartselect_20230418150849_drive.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 18th April 2023 at 15:10.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 16:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
. First, when you turn the rotary dial to D, it takes 1.5 seconds to engage D mode. Next, after engaging D, when your foot comes off brake pedal, it takes full 1.5 to 2 seconds to get the car moving.
Agree with your first point. Regarding the second point, hope you didn't have 'auto hold' turned on in the max.
Old 18th April 2023, 17:45   #14
BHPian

Looks nice, but the #dark plastered everywhere is a bit too much IMHO.

As the great Danny Glover said so many times
Attached Images

Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 18:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
First, when you turn the rotary dial to D, it takes 1.5 seconds to engage D mode. Next, after engaging D, when your foot comes off brake pedal, it takes full 1.5 to 2 seconds to get the car moving. This was very irritating at traffic lights.
My Nexon EV Max has never behaved this way. Also, you dont need to change the dial while you stop at traffic lights. All you need to do is break for 2 seconds, and the auto hold activates. When its time to move, just depress the accelerator and the car sprints. One of the complaints that my better half makes is that the car jumps in the traffic lights and that I need to be slow. Due to this, I activate eco mode which dials down the acceleration. Hope this helps.
mug:mush is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks