Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2024, 16:17   #661
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
I had a small incident and that is how I know of the price, but I have decided to hold off the replacement till 1st year service. The scratches on the door , you will have to paint.
Damn, I was quoted 23000 for that arch lol. Thanks. Currently trying to get the arch painted too if they can find the exact color.
Old 16th May 2024, 14:47   #662
BHPian

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...765674670.html

Was anybody part of the Hyundai Soiree event?

Anybody could get them to reveal on the launch of the facelift?
alok9345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 21:21   #663

Hi!

This is my first post. I see this as a very active thread sharing experiences and tips for to make the experience with the Hi5 a more enjoyable one. Kudos to all the active members and keep it going.

I would like to share my overall experience for the last 10 months with the Hi5. To put it in a single word it’s -Mind-blowing. Most of my use is for city drives but it’s the long distance drives which steal the thunder. The drive most comfortable with sufficient power in your hands to overtake whenever needed is what I love when I use it for long distance driving. The living room quality of music provided by the silence of the EV completely changes the quality of the drive . I’m sure most of you will agree to that. My only complaint is that the car will select only 8000 files from my 2 TB media collection. I am trying to figure out how to get around this issue. Would be great if someone else also could share their thoughts on this.

I have used only level 2 charging (15A charging) which I had used for my previous Nexon EV for charging the Ioniq. This is due to the constraints in setting up the 11 KW charger in an apartment complex with all the hassles of paperwork and payments- both legal and illegal. I am able to charge at a rate of 2.8 kw which works out a 10 % increase in SOC in 3 hrs. So an overnight 12 hrs of charge gives me an ample 40 % of SOC hike which translates to 200 km of city drive for me. In case I need to charge up for an emergency trip, I plan to use a nearby DC fast charger (which has not happened so far) also the fact that the ICCU issues experienced in the US and Canadian Hi5s and their link to this higher KW AC charging has influenced my decision not to put up the 11 Kw charger which is still kept in its unopened boxing.

The car has been performing without any glitch so far and I hope it continues to do so. 500km on a full charge in the city and 550 + on long drives have taken care of the range anxiety in a big way! I have checked charging speeds and found it to be somewhere close to the promised speeds.

Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review-img_1871.jpeg

Managed some accessories too over the months - an integrated dash cam, Sunglass holder, Charger cover to take care of charging in wet weather etc. to name a few.

Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review-70453400f07e436bbee25f6c64bdec4a.jpeg

Overall, this car has ticked most of the boxes for my needs. Hope it remains so.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th May 2024 at 22:27. Reason: Spacing
FR69 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 10:51   #664
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Nice post.
Could you share details of your dashcam and where you did the installation.
Please include photos of the charger cover also.

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th May 2024 at 12:05. Reason: Typos
sushanthys is online now   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st May 2024, 09:55   #665
BHPian

Thanks for the lovely update
wheeledwanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 22:09   #666

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthys View Post
Nice post.
Could you share details of your dashcam and where you did the installation.
Please include photos of the charger cover also.
It’s a fitcamx Ioniq 5 specific model purchased online and self installed .
FR69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 11:40   #667

Did a Bangalore - Nilgiris (Kotagiri) trip in the second week of May - Some very exciting and interesting observations/thoughts.

1. Used the Bangalore - Mysore - Bandipur, Mudumalai, Doddabetta, Kotagiri route - About 325 km - Took about 2.5 to Mysore (150 kms) and the rest of the forest /ghats section took the 4.5 hours.

2. Started at Bangalore with 100 percent - reached Mysore and visited family for a few hours and then resumed journey early next morning. Drove out about 20 kms on the Mysore Bandipur route, stopped at a Shell charger and went up from 49 percent to 92 percent in about 15 mins.

3. I did my journey with a spare tyre (after my December tyre incident) - While I would not have still been able to swap the tyre in case of a situation, at least the feeling of having one with you puts you at ease and It can always be swapped by a mechanic (I had bought the tools as well - see the Hyundai Ioniq spare tyre thread for details).

4. I was not sure how much luggage would fit, given the huge spare - but I removed the luggage cover extensible tarp rod and that helped me easily pack 6 bags (medium sized) along with the tire. I was also able to fit a medium bag in the frunk (along with the car charger), so that made me feel really comfortable.

5. The car handled itself beautifully on the hairpin bends and the ascent. Not a single time did I feel the extra weight of the tyre and the tools (About 20 kilos overall). The spare tyre does not roll and move given its sheer girth and weight.

6. Naturally the ascent takes its toll in terms of battery efficiency (Regen level 2 is my standard) and I reached destination with about 48 percent battery - meaning that I have used about 43 percent for the 175 km uphill/through the forest journey. I was noticing almost every 2 hair pins the battery would drop by a percentage! (AC on through out - inspite of the cool crisp air, we had some truck traffic which was spewing black smoke...so)

7. At the property where we stayed, I was able to work with them and connected my extension cord and the car portable charger for it to take its 1.5 days to charge up to about 80 percent. It was raining, so I made sure to safely cover the extension with a plastic bag and hid under the car.

8. On the descent we had warnings for rain in the hills and surrounding - so we decided to take the Mettupalayam, Mettur Dam, Dharmapuri, Krishnagiri, Hosur route back. It was going to be at least 60 km more and probably an hour and a bit more - but I wanted to complete my descent and face the rains on the plains. Here is where I had the most exciting time of the drive - The car was beautifully regenerating - started with 80 percent battery and by the time I reached Mettupalayam - roughly 37 km and 1.15 hour drive - the car had battery UP to 87 percent!.

9. While I knew I was going to get some juice back, I did not expect to end up in a positive gain situation - Effectively I got a benefit of about 35/40 km - in addition to the 37 that I drove to Mettupalayam.

10. There after I stopped at the Relux charging station near Thoppur (just after the Toll booth) - it is a funny "on the road, covered by a tarp/shed" charger. But it works beautifully - I was able to charge up to 95 percent from 45 percent in about 45 mins, while we completely a nice lunch in the Saravana Bhavan (not the real one, but very decent) just a 50 m walk from this shed.

11. After that I had the most difficult highway drive ever - Absolutely dark and apocalyptic clouds and heavy pouring rain from Dharmapuri to the Hosur border (almost about 70 km) - no stop , with severe flooding at all the troughs / down ramps near Krishnagiri and around. It was about 3 pm in the afternoon, but felt like 7 - continuous wipers, hazard lights on, but I was not concerned about the vehicle handling itself beautifully! - After that we were met with rains in Bangalore (this was a Sunday after the RCB miracle, which it was, because it if had rained like this on Saturday, no chance of a game happening!).

Ps:- I did not dare use the car for local trips in Ooty, Coonoor - relied on the taxis and the drivers knowing the right places/parking spots - Overall was about 800 km round trip and a mighty pleasing one.

Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review-img_6260.jpeg

Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review-img_6518.jpeg
v_avinash is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 12:21   #668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_avinash View Post
hazard lights on,
With hazard lights on, you become more of a hazard as you cannot give a signal.

Hazards should be used
  • When the car is stationary so that people are aware
  • Momentarily when you need to suddenly need to slow down due to a hazard ahead
ajmat is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 13:19   #669

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
With hazard lights on, you become more of a hazard as you cannot give a signal.

Hazards should be used
  • When the car is stationary so that people are aware
  • Momentarily when you need to suddenly need to slow down due to a hazard ahead
Fair point Sir! - My profile may say I am a novice, but I have been driving for 22 years, only recently started contributing given my EV ownership. Perhaps the statement seemed to allude that I had hazard on all the time, which obviously wasn't the case. Anyways, I take note of your feedback and will accordingly adjust language in future - Please do read and delete this post - given it adds no value to the thread, I did not have an opportunity to send a personal message, hence writing here . Thank you.
v_avinash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 12:36   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_avinash View Post
Did a Bangalore - Nilgiris (Kotagiri) trip in the second week of May - Some very exciting and interesting observations/thoughts.

I assume you have managed 2.9km per % which involves full use of AC and ghats, inclines and winding roads based on your experience above. I would consider the mileage less. I would expect close to 4 on a car like Ioniq considering the advance BMS which Hyundai uses. I own an MG ZS EV, I have seen 3km/% in the scorching heat at 100kmph with all the other conditions remaining same. If I mildly Hyperbole, I have achieved close to 4km too

Not comparing our vehicles since they are no match in any way. Just wanting to pointing out that Ioniq is capable to give much more!

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th May 2024 at 13:15. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.Please quote only relevant portion.
suryaj1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 15:35   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryaj1990 View Post
I assume you have managed 2.9km per %
Wouldn't kilometres per kilowatt hour (km/kWh) be the better base for comparison of efficiency in EVs?

kilometres per % would vary for each car due to different full battery capacity, which would also reduce over the car's lifetime.

For example, in a car with a 50kWh battery, each % would be 0.5kWh of energy, while in a car with 100kWH battery the same % would be 1kWh.

Not an EV owner, so this is an honest query!
chaotic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 16:47   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic View Post
Wouldn't kilometres per kilowatt hour (km/kWh) be the better base for comparison of efficiency in EVs?

kilometres per % would vary for each car due to different full battery capacity, which would also reduce over the car's lifetime.

For example, in a car with a 50kWh battery, each % would be 0.5kWh of energy, while in a car with 100kWH battery the same % would be 1kWh.

Not an EV owner, so this is an honest query!
Agree kms/kwh is best unit for comparison.

I have accumulated 60,000 kilometers on my Nexon EV Max over the past two years.

On average, I achieve an energy consumption of 130-140 watt-hours per kilometer, which translates to a range of 7.14-7.7 kilometers per kilowatt-hour.

(Single occupant, conservative driving style)

However, due to the recent intense heat in Ahmedabad, the energy consumption has increased to 160-170 watt-hours per kilometer.
vatsal_makadia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 13:01   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryaj1990 View Post
Not comparing our vehicles since they are no match in any way. Just wanting to pointing out that Ioniq is capable to give much more!
There is a good chance I may have underquoted (I did not exactly not the numbers), but a ballpark - that said - it was full load, full luggage and extra 20 kg of Spare tyre+ other peripherals and full ac running (always, even in the hills, given the diesel smoke spewing trucks).

I seem to have worked out around 4/4.5 km/kwh the efficiency dropping to - I had buffered to even lower levels to be honest, given this was the first time that I was doing proper hill driving. Overall my Ioniq with all the variations of driving I get around 7.2km/kwh on an average I would say. With cooler weather now, i also use the driver only ac at night (on my work commute) and that Is naturally helping boost efficiency further.

All in all - my biggest BIG SMILE moment was how the regen worked beyond my expectations. This was Level 2 regen, which is my default - am sure with Level 3 regen things may be better. - so am not exactly driving the car the way it is expected to be driven to maybe extract the max out of it - hopefully I will continue to learn and amend!
v_avinash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 23:14   #674
BHPian

It will take at least five more years before you get enough charging outlets to have a seamless, uninterrupted journey.
I guess it's Diesel for me for the next five years and then onto a Strong Hybrid (PHEV if launched by then). If our Government reduces the taxes for Hybrids, we can see more options.
Old 31st May 2024, 01:46   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabeermohamed View Post
It will take at least five more years before you get enough charging outlets to have a seamless, uninterrupted journey.
I guess it's Diesel for me for the next five years and then onto a Strong Hybrid (PHEV if launched by then). If our Government reduces the taxes for Hybrids, we can see more options.
Hybrids are neither here nor there. The cost of 2 systems, the maintenance of 2 systems and no real benefit over BEVs.
nidhikapoor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks