Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2023, 08:22   #301
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
Found quite an interesting video about Ioniq 5's one pedal driving mode.

Is the same behaviour followed by Indian Ioniq 5?

https://Youtu.be/U0YW7x9U5TQ
This is well explained and answers many questions I had about brake lights. I regularly use adaptive cruise and find it good to have a confirmation that brake lights work proper then.

I have not been comfortable using level 3 regen and iPedal because I wasn’t sure how brake lights would work. Now I know that level 3 regen will be just fine, and I need to maybe still avoid one pedal most times.

I am thinking I’ll still give one pedal another go in bumper to bumper as that would be okay sine the situation will require that the accelerator pedal is let go completely every time. (Usually I use adaptive cruise for bumper to bumper as well, but sometimes full stops are a bit jerky.)
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:30   #302
BHPian

Finally got the mats today, the fit is good, wish they bring rubber mats option also for rainy season.

On another note did anyone get ceramic coating done from Hyundai? If so any reviews?
Old 4th June 2023, 21:09   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkunz View Post
Finally got the mats today, the fit is good, wish they bring rubber mats option also for rainy season.

On another note did anyone get ceramic coating done from Hyundai? If so any reviews?
You’re lucky. Our dealer is still lost. And I would never get ceramic done in a dealership. Always get it from a professional detailer. Dealerships will use subpar products if they even use a proper ceramic. I’ve seen cars that had dealership ceramic wear off in 3 weeks.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 21:46   #304
BHPian

Has anyone done long road trips in a Hyundai Ioniq 5. If so feedback w.r.t to its behaviour, juice capacity, charging challenges will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th June 2023 at 22:35. Reason: Please review the forum rules once more. No acronyms please. Thank you.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 11:40   #305

Should be getting my Gold Gravity Matte ioniq 5 this weekend. Any word of advice on what to explore with dealership before I check out with them. Has anyone gone for extended warranty ? Typically the prices are negotiable. Any luck in haggling the prices down ?

Also - mine was a two car garage till recently. A 2017 GT TSI and and 2016 A4. Have recently sold the latter and since my GT is also close to clocking 1,00,000 on ODO, I intend to replace that too. Any advice on what ICE vehicle should I replace it with ? Hard constraints from my side are - Should be spacious, fun to drive and not a big fuel guzzler. Family grew after I got GT and have heard enough from kids and wife on how congested their drive is.

First post here ! Looking forward to interacting with you all here ! Thank you.
Old 5th June 2023, 11:51   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Has anyone done long road trips in a Hyundai Ioniq 5. If so feedback w.r.t to its behaviour, juice capacity, charging challenges will be highly appreciated.
1000+ kms on my I5 so far - out of which 2 were 200km roundtrips each (Delhi to Sonepat).

It drives insanely good. Acceleration is the smoothest I've ever seen, both on city roads and highways. I hit high triple digit speeds on the highway and on good stretches, triple digit speeds honestly feels more like 60-70 and I say this without exaggeration. (side note: the 120kmph beep is excessively loud and annoying. Would love to tweak/turn it off).

Range isn't a challenge, at least for these distances. I lost 10% extra range because of my significantly high speeds and that was it (battery consumed 220kms for my 200km trip). I even left with only 270km range on my second trip because I'd gotten a hang of how the battery depletes and knew 270 would be sufficient (in terms of battery levels - I left with 60% and returned with 10%, with no charging in between).

Dealer had handed me the car with unusually high tyre pressure (43psi instead of 35), so I hit dangerous levels of 50psi after my highway ride and had to slow down. Problem solved now though since I've fixed the tyre pressure.

The ADAS is good - I enjoy its lanekeep assist although some might find it annoying. The adaptive cruise control hasn't worked reliably for me - once it slows down due to a vehicle ahead, it doesn't always pick up speed again. I'm guessing this is a settings issue though so I need to investigate, since I haven't come across this among other ioniq owners. Does anyone have a fix?

Last edited by huygens : 5th June 2023 at 12:13. Reason: Editing high speed mentions + battery levels
huygens is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 07:59   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huygens View Post

The ADAS is good - I enjoy its lanekeep assist although some might find it annoying. The adaptive cruise control hasn't worked reliably for me - once it slows down due to a vehicle ahead, it doesn't always pick up speed again. I'm guessing this is a settings issue though so I need to investigate, since I haven't come across this among other ioniq owners. Does anyone have a fix?
I use the smart cruise control daily and it works as expected and increases the speed. Perhaps your distance setting might be 4 instead of 1 which is more apt for Indian cities?

There are some dangerous bugs so you have to stay alert. For example, if you are following a car and a bike comes in your lane from left between the two cars, and immediately departs to the right lane, SCC can no longer detect the car in front. I’ve had this happen about 3-4 times in slow moving traffic.

Interestingly, the forward collision warning still sounds an alarm while SCC fails to maintain distance given SCC can detect no car in front. My guess is that forward collision assistance and SCC uses different sensors or the SCC software hangs.

Other situations when SCC might respond incorrectly are described in the manual (vehicles veering into your lane, tight bends, slopes etc).

Not sure how to report it to Hyundai Korea or if Hyundai India will take it seriously. The situation I described would have caused an accident if not for the forward collision warning. (I don’t think the forward collision assist kicked in, only the warning came).
Old 7th June 2023, 18:05   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Hi guys! I am the proud owner of a matte gold Hyundai Ioniq 5. Got the car on the 18th of last month and did a drive from Navi Mumbai to Udaipur on the 21st. The car is amazingly smooth and stable, high three digit speeds can be reached without realizing or effort and the looks from bystanders and other car owners are just too good. My learnings from the long drive are:

1. Plan the trip. Use plugshare app and pick the charging stations.
2. Prefer charging stations with hotels as you could rest there.
3. Tried out different companies and Jio BP fast chargers were best and Xobolt was a very very close second. Unfortunately, Xobolt hasn't reached the west and south yet. Statiq was the worst! Got two not working chargers at two different places, though the helpline tried to sort things out for me!
4. The real world range of the I5 is around 430 to 450 kms. The most practical way that I realised was to stop for a charge every 200 kms or 3 hrs of driving. It takes roughly 30 to 45 mins to recharge back to 90% (I recharged till 90 - probably because I wasn't sure of the range) on a 60kw fast charger and you are good to go.
5. There is a way to drive an EV. As a long term ICE driver, it took me time to realise this. This is most important on highways or plain roads where we are used to putting pedal to the floor. In an EV, regeneration is important and you need to step off the gas regularly, yet maintain speed.
6. I pedal works like charm, especially when stuck in a traffic jam! Lost only 1% charge when stuck in a hour long traffic jam at 1 pm in Udaipur. The climate control kept us very cool.
7. The lane assist needs getting used to and can get irritating at times; but once you get the hang of it, it is useful!
8. Adaptive cruise control works beautifully, but get the dial to 1 or 2. 4 is useless in India.
9. The car is a real stunner! The number of people who come up to you and discuss the car, take photos and pose with the car and actually stop driving to have a look at the car is mind boggling and can get amusing at times. Too many people honk to get your attention and then compliment you for the car!

With this car, I am confident of going on long drives; I drove from Navi Mumbai to Udaipur - Kumbalgarh - Statue of Unity - Navi Mumbai over 8 days.

Its a beautiful car to drive, very spacious, seating everyone comfortably and more than enough boot space!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review-20230521_055615.jpg  

Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review-20230521_101607.jpg  

Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review-20230521_172759.jpg  

Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review-20230525_122306.jpg  

rajivrao is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 10:39   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post
9. The car is a real stunner! The number of people who come up to you and discuss the car, take photos and pose with the car and actually stop driving to have a look at the car is mind boggling and can get amusing at times. Too many people honk to get your attention and then compliment you for the car!
This just doesn't stop haha! I too got my car on 18th so it's been about a month, still getting used to people stopping to take pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_speed View Post

Perhaps your distance setting might be 4 instead of 1 which is more apt for Indian cities?
This definitely helped. Although I'm still not seeing its full utility because while this reduces the distance at stops, it still leaves a decent gap between cars when running. Had other cars squeeze into that multiple times. Nevertheless, decent feature. I'd recommend you repeat to Hyundai Korea - they'd be the ones pushing OTA updates if at all.

Question to both of you (and other I5 owners) though - how are you keeping your rear windshield clean? Clearly its design prevents air from clearing up the dust that accumulates that after every single trip! It's super annoying. I don't want to be dusting the car every time I take it out.
Old 10th June 2023, 20:27   #310

Got my I5 recently. Loving it so far but faced the dead 12v battery issue. Got solved automatically after switching off. Anyone heard anything from HMI yet?
Kk91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 10:05   #311
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post

With this car, I am confident of going on long drives; I drove from Navi Mumbai to Udaipur - Kumbalgarh - Statue of Unity - Navi Mumbai over 8 days.
Could you also share the entire trip distance and the costs incurred due to charging? Thanks!
Old 11th June 2023, 12:39   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huygens View Post
This just doesn't stop haha! I too got my car on 18th so it's been about a month, still getting used to people stopping to take pictures.

This definitely helped. Although I'm still not seeing its full utility because while this reduces the distance at stops, it still leaves a decent gap between cars when running. Had other cars squeeze into that multiple times. Nevertheless, decent feature. I'd recommend you repeat to Hyundai Korea - they'd be the ones pushing OTA updates if at all.

Question to both of you (and other I5 owners) though - how are you keeping your rear windshield clean? Clearly its design prevents air from clearing up the dust that accumulates that after every single trip! It's super annoying. I don't want to be dusting the car every time I take it out.
It’s a fun thing to see people click next to your car instead of GLS parked two slots away. I’ve got thumbs up from Merc and Audi drivers, and of course a fellow I5 owner, but the Bimmers don’t stop for silly reasons I guess.

I find the stopping distance just right. It’s about half car length in bumper to bumper, and 1.5 car lengths at higher speeds. Just about what I do when driving manually. The cars that will want to squeeze in, will do so no matter what.

The way to clean the rear glass is to use the Jopasu duster on the roof and glass before every drive. The accumulated dust is a combination of our summer dust storms and a spoiler that actually redirects air to the glass.
ricky_speed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 12:54   #313
BANNED

I just have two questions on EVs, which I did not the answer elsewhere.

1. What happens if I don't use an EV for a couple of months. Is it necessary to take precautions to avoid complete battery loss?

2. What is the battery replacement interval? Two wheelers I understand its 3 years for most of the them. How about a car like Ioniq?

Help me out with answers. Thanks.
Old 11th June 2023, 17:58   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamThat View Post
I just have two questions on EVs, which I did not the answer elsewhere.

1. What happens if I don't use an EV for a couple of months. Is it necessary to take precautions to avoid complete battery loss?

2. What is the battery replacement interval? Two wheelers I understand its 3 years for most of the them. How about a car like Ioniq?

Help me out with answers. Thanks.
Hello.
I have been a EV owner for the last 3 1/2 years. So may be able to clarify:

1. Nothing happens to the main battery pack. However, the smaller 12V battery can discharge. This 12v battery is periodically charged from the main battery. However, if you are leaving the vehicle unattended for 2-3 months, it would be okay to disconnect the 12v battery.
2. Which battery are you asking about - the 12v one, or the main battery pack.
The 12v one needed to be changed once over the last 31/2 years in my car - a Hyundai Kona. The main battery does not need changing. The warranty is for 8 years, 1.6L km. Even after that, there is no issue with the battery itself, but like with any Lithium battery, it shows some degradation in terms of charging and range. However, this is going to be quite small (10-15%). I would expect that the battery will continue to remain usable for much much longer.
Generally, the battery will outlive the life of the car. And in its after life...may find use in another avtar.
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 17:59   #315
BHPian

For a car like the IONIQ5 or most modern EVs, battery replacement isn't needed at all for the lifetime of a car. It's the biggest myth in the industry. They retain 80-90% State of Health after 3 lakh Kms.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks