Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2023, 15:52   #76
BHPian

Re: Citroen eC3 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
You are right sir, it is the speed, check this gentleman's experiments with Nexon and achieving a real world range equivalent of 400km (98 wh/km) when doing 60 steady speeds in cruise control. If Nexon achieves it eC3 also can and there was some non confirmed info that drivetrain is from BYD (but can't be verified or confirmed yet). If it is BYD then I totally understand since I managed to get 120 wh/km easily on E6 that weights 1900+ kgs Kerb.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=gzrec_mxjd4

For those who don't want to see the video Nexon EV max range variation with the speed: (Aero and speed both affect the range).

Speed | Range
-------------------
90 km/hr | 221 kms
100 km/hr | 213 kms
120 km/hr | 155 kms
80 km/hr | 280 kms
60 km/hr | 400 kms
The information is only partially true. While 60 km per hour would give you close to 400 kms with AC, anything higher will give you much much higher range than claimed in the video. The method he used is also not correct, can't say based on few kms of driving.

I have driven over 10000 kms in EV in last two months. Most of it is highway driving. So I can tell you there are many factors like temperature, elevation etc. While going to Vellore from bangalore, with variable Regen and cruise control and driving between 80-100 kmph, I covered 180 kms with 50 percent of charge. Not the same while coming back. While going to Kanyakumari I got close to 360 kms of range at speeds between 90-110 kmph, but while coming back it was much lower.

Most of the YouTube reviews for EV are not correct, as the drivers hardly have any idea on how to drive EV or specific details. There are some few reviews or content where the owner have posted, and those are more reliable.

Citreon test cars are almost everywhere in South India. The driver says they are instructed to drive at max 75 kmph speed which gives them a range of upto 250 kms. However when asked about heating issues while driving or charging they said it is still under testing.

However this testing has become a real issue for EV road users. These test cars come in groups, and occupy public charging points at a very slow charging rate. Road users have to wait or they get into an argument with the test drivers. Although some test car drivers would stop charging and allow you to charge, some of them are nor flexible.

Current EV charging infrastructure is good for current road users. I hardly had to wait in the charging stations for "actual" EV users. Most of the times it was available. Even if it is occupied, actual users would not charge it to more than 80 percent to 90 percent. Citreon should use their own private charging for these test cars. Most EV users do not use EVs for highway, and not very frequently either. If and when these many actual road users are there, charging companies would be very happy to set up multiple chargers, its revenue for them.
sumannandy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 16:48   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I have driven over 10000 kms in EV in last two months. Most of it is highway driving. So I can tell you there are many factors like temperature, elevation etc. While going to Vellore from bangalore, with variable Regen and cruise control and driving between 80-100 kmph, I covered 180 kms with 50 percent of charge. Not the same while coming back. While going to Kanyakumari I got close to 360 kms of range at speeds between 90-110 kmph, but while coming back it was much lower.
Thank you for this input, I was also wondering how reliable the data can be with such short measurements. To be fair he starts with a clear disclaimer in the video.

I have a trip from Bangalore to Coimbatore and am wondering whether to take my Nexon EV Max for the first highway trip or just play safe and stick to my S-Cross. I just had a not so great first time DC charging experience. (BHPians experience on EV Charging Stations across India (especially non-metros))

Would be great if you can share the reduced range you got on your trip back from Kanyakumari, especially if it was via Coimbatore. In fact it would be great if you can share the range and average speed you got on the highways in and out of Bangalore. Would be very helpful to Bangalore EV owners and even others.

Last edited by wocanak : 11th February 2023 at 16:49.
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 19:34   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The information is only partially true. While 60 km per hour would give you close to 400 kms with AC, anything higher will give you much much higher range than claimed in the video. The method he used is also not correct, can't say based on few kms of driving.
Agrred and valid points.

But, I don't think user in the video was suggesting this is the range to abide by either, when all factors almost equal for a given vehicle and settings and cruise control he clearly demonstrated effect of speed(motor rpm) and wind resistance. Even if it meant for 10-12 kms, ideally he has to repeat the test on the same stretch again and again in short time to prove the point. But it is clear and proven that above certain speed(especially highway speeds of (80-110) the wind resistance alone can amount upto 67% of the required energy to move the vehicle if it is an aerodynamic brick(which Nexon almost is).

True, too many factors affect the range, but just like the useless ARAI range being so ideal that real users will never get in real conditions. Sometimes with some talent and hyper-miling one might even exceed ARAI rated figures but those barely mean anything to the real world user.

Really strange that Citroen test users can mob EV fast chargers that way, pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Old 12th February 2023, 05:40   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Thank you for this input, I was also wondering how reliable the data can be with such short measurements. To be fair he starts with a clear disclaimer in the video.

I have a trip from Bangalore to Coimbatore and am wondering whether to take my Nexon EV Max for the first highway trip or just play safe and stick to my S-Cross. I just had a not so great first time DC charging experience. (BHPians experience on EV Charging Stations across India (especially non-metros))

Would be great if you can share the reduced range you got on your trip back from Kanyakumari, especially if it was via Coimbatore. In fact it would be great if you can share the range and average speed you got on the highways in and out of Bangalore. Would be very helpful to Bangalore EV owners and even others.
Take your MAX. Enjoy the silent drive. Max is an excellent car and has enough range.

Since this is your first highway drive, you would be having range anxiety. Although MAX can comfortably do this trip with one charge stop in between, I would suggest the following.

1. Drive with Regen 3. Use cruise control between 80-85 in highway.
2. If two stops, your first stop could be Surya complex at Krishnagiri. Try to connect to 50KW if available, they also have one 25KW there. They have nice restaurants. If both the chargers are not available, you may try BPCL Krishnagiri next to A2B. BPCL cost is higher and it is usually available. However this is a slow charger at 25 KW. Your second stop would be Zeon Sankari after Salem.
3. If one stop, stop at Thoppur toll plaza, they have two Relux 80 KW charger there. However, there is no restaurant nearby. this is in a toll plaza.
4. If you are connecting to Zeon 50 KW, it would draw 29KW-30 KW till 92%, then upto 96% I think it draws at 20KW or so. So you may charge till 93%-94% and move on. If connecting to other 25KW chargers, charge till 90% after which it slows down.

Once you are familiar with the car, experiment with different Regen levels and speed. I usually drive between 90-110.

For your first drive and above procedure, you can expect a range of about 300 kms. I have got 270-380 kms range in highway with 80-120 kmph speed.

Last edited by sumannandy : 12th February 2023 at 05:44.
sumannandy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 09:43   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Citroen eC3 Type Approval Certificate.

Motor from BYD, LFP Battery from SVOLT.

For commercial ones speed limited to 80kmph

Citroen eC3 Review-20230216_094111.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 16th February 2023 at 09:48.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 18:36   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Citroen eC3 Type Approval Certificate.

Motor from BYD, LFP Battery from SVOLT.

For commercial ones speed limited to 80kmph

Attachment 2419252

Link
Existing 2 variants itself feel like fleet variants. Citroen should launch a true top end with all bells and whistles. It has been a while since I saw a car without electrically adjustable mirrors in the top variant.
saikishor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 21:02   #82

I wonder why the air cooled battery is heavier than Nexon Prime's liquid cooled 30KWh battery. Is Citroen using composite phase change material (PCM) to aid uniform cooling of cells?

Name:  PCM.png
Views: 1076
Size:  168.4 KB

Last edited by aah78 : 18th February 2023 at 06:16. Reason: Typo, image inserted in-line.
Old 18th February 2023, 13:14   #83
BHPian

Saw the car today on Chennai - Trichy highway, looks like lower trim. It looked too small and at first from distance I mistook as Kwid
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen eC3 Review-8c4048f55ff7477ba11ff506d2cc32bf.jpeg  

Citroen eC3 Review-87b062b74678497eb905f3db328b5b5d.jpeg  

Citroen eC3 Review-f1c150fabd5442339beaaf61f3ba9337.jpeg  

Citroen eC3 Review-7b1fbeaabcd04642b477c98bb33a75a4.jpeg  

Citroen eC3 Review-0b96e62af4c645f2aff49c17458b63b1.jpeg  

Citroen eC3 Review-7ad1ee378828478491216b58c45d69f8.jpeg  

vvivek85 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 14:32   #84
BHPian

When is the price reveal? All the hype that was around the car has fizzled out already. There is just no news or energy around eC3 launch at all
Old 22nd February 2023, 19:21   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
When is the price reveal? All the hype that was around the car has fizzled out already. There is just no news or energy around eC3 launch at all
A sales guy at Bengaluru Citroen said price will be revealed on Friday 24th.

But he also said it will be 12 Lac or more, which does not make sense. The car will struggle to sell at high pricing. The range is not good enough for it to be a highway car on a regular basis, and city-wide travel is easily handled by a tiago XT at just 9.29L.
guptad42 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 19:29   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post

But he also said it will be 12 Lac or more, which does not make sense. The car will struggle to sell at high pricing. The range is not good enough for it to be a highway car on a regular basis, and city-wide travel is easily handled by a tiago XT at just 9.29L.
True!
The thing going for eC3 is its quirky looks and will not be as common as a Tiago, but cannot say if it is going to stay this way as they are going to have a fleet targeted version as well
Old 22nd February 2023, 19:38   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
True!
The thing going for eC3 is its quirky looks and will not be as common as a Tiago, but cannot say if it is going to stay this way as they are going to have a fleet targeted version as well
If Tata launches Punch EV at similar prices in the meantime, C3 EV will loose this point too. Tiago is a better city-only car.
souravdas808 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 19:24   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdas808 View Post
If Tata launches Punch EV at similar prices in the meantime, C3 EV will loose this point too. Tiago is a better city-only car.
Citroen must realize they need sales buzz and excitement around eC3 for the model and Citroen's brand to survive in India. Otherwise, people will not take a bet on a relatively unknown brand in India. The less-than-an-year-old C3 now has 50K worth of discounts running.

The barebones specification, air cooled battery, a vestigial organ in the shape of old petrol tank flap, the missing features, front look that matches the petrol base model - so much of the eC3 feels cheap.

If you are generous to eC3, then one way to look at it is that Tiago MR XT is 9.29L with new prices. Add about 1.2Lacs for bigger battery and room in eC3 and you get 10.49L. At that price, the Feel variant will still have less features than the 9.29L tiago! And lacking the leading EV maker reputation that Tata motors has in India.

For the sake of EV adoption and Citroen's long life in India, I hope better sense prevails among their management and they price eC3 aggressively.
guptad42 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 04:16   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
This is not valid anymore since 24th February has gone by. I am not sure if Citroen is waiting for something in particular before revealing prices. They are killing the hype with every passing day for sure.
Sumedik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 14:04   #90
BHPian

@CitroenIndia
has launched the all-electric eC3 at Rs 11.50 lakh.
Live - Rs 11,50,000
Feel - Rs 12,13,000
Feel Vibe Pack - Rs 12,28,000
Feel dual tone Vibe Pack - Rs 12,43,000

Autocar
TorqueIndia is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks