Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2023, 13:54   #16
BHPian

Re: BYD Atto 3 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr08 View Post
Price is going to be a deal breaker for many IMO. Close to 40L on-road for an unknown brand coupled with not so good charging infra, this is going to be tough for BYD to build their dream to outsell any EV or even go close to those sales numbers.
I don't know why everyone keeps repeating that the charging infra is not adequate. There is absolutely no issue in driving or charging an EV across India. There are plenty of fast chargers available in cities, along major highways and at malls and restaurants. I haven't had any issues in driving my MG ZS EV across the country for the past 18 months. Every week new chargers are added to the network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to also include the time it takes to charge in the introduction section? While including range was a good idea, I think a lot of readers would also want to know the duration it takes to charge with various chargers (fast/slow). Apologies if it is already there and I turned blind for no reason.
Charging time is a mistaken obsession for people unfamiliar with EVs. You almost never have to charge from zero to hundred. Most people simply stop after a couple of hours, eat something of have a cup of beverage while the vehicle tops up. In addition, it is not always necessary to reach 100%. So, a 50 to 60KW charger, the common type in India, will get you from 30% to 80% in about 30 minutes. If you are at a 25KW charger then you can assume around 50 minutes. So charging is not a major issue in any EV. At home, using the included 7KW charger, you would need 10 hours from 0 to 100 but again, no one will be at 0%. If you charge from say 30% to 90% then you just need 6 hours. Overnight from say 9pm to 8am is sufficient for charging even with the slow charger using a normal 15A plug.
Lobogris is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 15:53   #17
BHPian

Much awaited Team-BHP review for the Atto3. Wonderful review as always with lot of details.

I would like to parrot a few other member's concerns regarding cons for EVs. Mentioning the same points for all EVs is getting a little boring now, and feel it can be dropped or put into a single statement.

Also, small correction on missing the features, BYD has said wireless AA/CP will be coming soon, and even connected features. Connected features are just being opened up in few countries and should be made available here too soon.

BYD missing out on cooled seats for India is a major sore point and that 36L OTR price is something that will haunt Atto3 always.
TheRandomGuy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 04:26   #18
BANNED

1. In the review its mentioned about comparison of BYD blade LFP battery with regular LFP battery. From the video from BYD website, it shows they are comparing it with NCM (Lithium Nickel Cobalt Manganese) battery.

2. 229,020 BYD Atto 3s Sold In 10 Months Since Launch.

The BYD Atto 3 was launched in several markets around the world, including Australia, New Zealand, Cambodia, Nepal, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Brazil, and Israel as well as several countries in Europe. Recently, the Flemish Automobile Club, VAB, which holds the coveted contest every year for the best family cars in different categories voted the BYD Atto 3 the Electric Family Car of The Year 2023.
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/12/28...r-2023-by-vab/

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/07...-since-launch/

3. Please provide the detail breakdown cost (on road) including insurance in Mumbai.
I hope we see more of 50 to 60kWh battery EV's in India.

4. my opinion, about H2, see how many H2 powered cars we have in USA. Toyota is selling it there, I am sure not many people even know the name.

https://www.toyota.com/mirai/2023/

H2 is cost prohibitive, and thus not feasible, and only Green Hydrogen is good, otherwise it is as good as usual Diesel, sometimes even bad, methane is released in the atmosphere.
And to produce green H2, we have to use Solar, Wind energy.

Some perspectives on H2 by German site " DW Planet A"

Yes H2 certainly has some use cases where it can be used, but way people think getting green H2 is easy, and technology, and infrastructure to build it, store it etc. It is more complicated than that. But it is healthy to have different opinions and perspectives.
vtires2018 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 06:59   #19
BHPian

Thank you for the detailed review. I saw a few of these parked in an ex Ford showroom parking lot yesterday. They don’t seem very imposing on first look.

BYD entering the Indian market is a positive step I believe as they are the world leaders in BEV today. Hopefully we will see a more affordable model in the years to come
ellip5i5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 00:19   #20
BHPian

Great Review. I really like the interiors, it is something very refreshing. Has anyone negotiated on the price in Mumbai? Can we expect some discounts on this? I have scheduled a test drive so I am hoping I will get some offers from the dealer.
Old 10th January 2023, 10:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post
Has anyone negotiated on the price in Mumbai? Can we expect some discounts on this? I have scheduled a test drive so I am hoping I will get some offers from the dealer.
Discounts are unlikely, especially in the initial few months when demand is 2-3x more than supply. However if the demand tapers off (possible due to the high price), discounts are likely.

The situation could also change if they move to local production. Just like Skoda offers good discounts on locally assembled Rapid, but not on imported Octavia and Kodiaq.

Last edited by evolvo : 10th January 2023 at 10:24. Reason: minor edits
evolvo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 10:49   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I haven't had any issues in driving my MG ZS EV across the country for the past 18 months.

So, a 50 to 60KW charger, the common type in India, will get you from 30% to 80% in about 30 minutes.

If you charge from say 30% to 90% then you just need 6 hours. Overnight from say 9pm to 8am is sufficient for charging even with the slow charger using a normal 15A plug.
These points are reassuring, thanks!

Must admit, was of the same opinion (without even owning an EV!) that the charging infra was not there yet and that charging would take up a lot of travel time and require advance planning for stops.

Good to hear that things are much better, and surely will get even better!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 23:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
Discounts are unlikely, especially in the initial few months when demand is 2-3x more than supply. However if the demand tapers off (possible due to the high price), discounts are likely.

The situation could also change if they move to local production. Just like Skoda offers good discounts on locally assembled Rapid, but not on imported Octavia and Kodiaq.
I got a quote of 36 otr mumbai. No discounts. 3 months waiting. I think I am gonna pass
Old 11th January 2023, 13:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

BYD Atto 3 will be available in a special Forest Green colour limited to 1200 units, priced at Rs 34.49 lakh (ex-showroom)

BYD Atto 3 Review-20230111_132033.jpg

BYD Atto 3 Review-20230111_132217.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 11th January 2023 at 13:23.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 17:17   #25
BHPian

Detailed and informative review, thanks! I've been following Atto for a while now and feel that it has everything to make it the first real world EV for India. I actually like the design, and it provides a host of creature comforts, a respectable range and is a pseudo-SUV. And with the backing BYD has, they should be able to scale up production and dealerships.

The price, as mentioned, is high right now and I expect it to come down to MG ZS EV range once they start local production. At that price point I expect it to do pretty decent numbers.
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 02:15   #26
BHPian

I test drove the atto 3 twice in Mumbai in the last week. It’s a great car to drive, interiors are refreshing although some parts of it feel overdone. No discounts currently offered.
OTR comes to 36L Mumbai registration.

I really liked the car but have zero confidence in the brand right now. It is very new and shelling out 36 big ones is a risk.

The salesperson told me they have 8 year warranty on battery, I want to know after 8 years if the battery goes off, how much do you think it will cost?

Will I get good resale value after 8 years?

I have a quote of 42L for audi a4 - i know it’s like comparing oranges to apples but I feel it’s better to spend 6l more and get the Audi?
Old 20th January 2023, 10:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I test drove the atto 3 twice in Mumbai in the last week. It’s a great car to drive, interiors are refreshing although some parts of it feel overdone. No discounts currently offered.
OTR comes to 36L Mumbai registration.

I really liked the car but have zero confidence in the brand right now. It is very new and shelling out 36 big ones is a risk.

The salesperson told me they have 8 year warranty on battery, I want to know after 8 years if the battery goes off, how much do you think it will cost?

I have a quote of 42L for audi a4 - i know it’s like comparing oranges to apples but I feel it’s better to spend 6l more and get the Audi?
In that case Ioniq 5 could be another option?
Old 20th January 2023, 10:12   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Nobody can say how the resale value of EVs will pan out 8 years into the future. That is a risk all EV adopters have to take. Manufacturers, especially unknown/Chinese ones, can make things a lot easier for their customers by offering buy back schemes. This will negate the single biggest point holding back people, especially for these expensive 30L+ cars.

I see the Audi A4 as well as the Hyundai Ioniq 5 as viable alternatives to the BYD. The Audi in particular has infinitely better street cred and is a known quantity - in terms of product as well as what happens when you want to get rid of it. It is definitely the safer choice.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 20th January 2023 at 10:15.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 11:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The quoted price for an Audi A4 2014 is ~15L(in Bangalore where used cars are higher priced) on OLX, probably you could get it for 12L after one negotiates.

By 2031 the resale value of the A4 2023 will be almost the same, in all likelihood all the premium brands will be selling EVs by 2031, the resale value could collapse too with lack of spares and govt bans. With the transition to EVs in peak by 2030s it's hard to predict resale values of either EVs or ICEs.

In summary, the resale value of ICE cars is not great, the value collapses as the cars turn 10years, buying a car based on resale value is not advisable, unless you plan to sell the car in 3-5 years.
SKC-auto is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 15:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Teslas in the USA are the only real-world examples of EV resale value. Recent data showed that they retain up to 50% of their value after 8 years. Therefore, even if we choose a more conservative estimate of 30%, it is still better than ICE cars.

Additionally, the value of ICE cars drops significantly with age because so many of their components are in need of replacement. However, there are very few parts that need to be replaced with EVs. If the battery holds up well, it will undoubtedly command a higher price.
Hawk4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks