Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2024, 13:32   #136

Re: BYD Atto 3 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Let’s treat things as a car problem and not a country problem. Such instances happen across brands.

270km at 120kmph on the DME in this hot weather is very very good. My Nexon LR will empty out in 130-150km at such speeds in this heat. Speaking from experience. Even in daily local running, my car is only just about breaching the 200km mark nowadays. So, what you are getting is pretty great.

You haven’t mentioned the age of the car or the kilometers run. Is the tire wear issue only on the front axle or on the rear axle as well? Did this problem exist from Day1, or did it crop up over time. Most likely, it is a stubborn alignment related issue. Rare, low selling cars like this one, alignment data may not be available outside and you can never trust the dealer to have this corrected. From what you have said, my take is that an old fashioned manual wheel alignment using thread and weights will resolve the issues to a large extent. In case there is a suspension related issue, or perhaps a bent arm due to hitting a pothole at speed, a through inspection by an experienced technician will be able to identify if something is amiss.
Yeah, you are right. Maybe I was frustrated to blame it on the country.
Also, few more facts. 270 km range was in winters, December or something so no air con. The car was pretty new that time, may be around 12-13k KM done over all.

The tyre wear out issue is only with front axle. The first tyre worn out happened when car had done around 7-8k Km’s. Kristan could have checked the cause that time itself but instead they just rotated the tyres and gave it back. They didn’t even do wheel balancing/alignment. In next few thousand KMs the rear tyres that were rotated as front tyres also got worn out and that time, when I questioned a lot, they accepted that there was issue at last time but nothing was checked. The steering rack was faulty and had some issue from the beginning. They changed it under warranty but were not willing to compensate for tyres. My argument was that tyres had worn out because of faulty steering rack. They accepted that but said that tyres are not under warranty and they are not getting any claims from BYD. So I ended up paying for new tyres. I was never shown the faulty steering rack and I dont even know if they changed it. After few thousand more KMs, the tyres got worn out once again. Now, the warranty period is over and they are asking to pay for steering rack. They are claiming that there is bend in the rack. It’s only 5-7k after they replaced last set of tyres. I dont drive recklessly and most of the drive is on same roads. In fact after only 500-700 km of drive when they had changed the tyres and steering rack first time, I had sent the car suspecting wearing out of tyres. That time, they just sent it back confirming that there is no issue.

Anyways, this is getting repetitive and boring. I have not faced similar issue in any of the cars in last 30 years of my driving. May have bought 15 odd cars in these many years, from Maruti to Tesla. This is the only time, I have faced so much of issues with a car. I am not technically very sound and believe that if car is sent to authorized service centers, they will take care of the same. Getting issues multiple times and paying for their problem is something that is hurting me.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th May 2024 at 17:56. Reason: SMS lingo
Akggn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 14:03   #137
GTE
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I don't know what it is with Hyundai & steering racks, they seem to have that problem in a lot of their models. Apart from the rack, on the I 20s the steering motors were notorious for failures. Warranty already over? How old is the car?
Old 16th May 2024, 18:40   #138

Mine was BYD Atto 3. Car is 14 month old 😊
Warranty over after 12 months
Old 18th May 2024, 11:09   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akggn View Post
Warranty over in just 12 months ? werent there options of 5 and 6 years ( 1.50 and 1.60 lakh kms )of warranty or you just chose the lowest warranty available? Anyone must choose the highest warranty available on any car, either its Toyota, Maruti or VAG, Chinese.
Vikash Kumawat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 11:51   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikash Kumawat View Post
Warranty over in just 12 months ? werent there options of 5 and 6 years ( 1.50 and 1.60 lakh kms )of warranty or you just chose the lowest warranty available? Anyone must choose the highest warranty available on any car, either its Toyota, Maruti or VAG, Chinese.
Have you driven over 1.25L / 1.5L KMs in 12 months which caused your warranty to get over? It's pretty common for steering racks to require replacement at such intervals.

In fact, in stating your original case, you have not mentioned this very important fact and are instead blaming China. If your tyres are wearing out after 40K kms ("4 months" ) then you have no reason to complain, honestly.
d3mon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 12:11   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Have you driven over 1.25L / 1.5L KMs in 12 months which caused your warranty to get over? It's pretty common for steering racks to require replacement at such intervals.

In fact, in stating your original case, you have not mentioned this very important fact and are instead blaming China. If your tyres are wearing out after 40K kms ("4 months" ) then you have no reason to complain, honestly.
It’s quite impossible to drive the car this much in 12 months
I dont know how you got these numbers. First time when tyres got worn out, car did 7-8k KMs, 2nd time at 15k and now at 22k. Total car has done till now 25000 KMs.
Also, in my subsequent post I have already accepted that I should not have blamed China
Akggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 12:13   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikash Kumawat View Post
They had standard warranty of 1 year. Now last week they have come up with additional warranty option. Till then, there was no extended warranty option.
Akggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 12:30   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, you are right. Maybe I was frustrated to blame it on the country.
Also, few more facts. 270 km range was in winters, December or something so no air con. The car was pretty new that time, may be around 12-13k KM done over all.

The tyre wear out issue is only with front axle. The first tyre worn out happened when car had done around 7-8k Km’s. Kristan could have checked the cause that time itself but instead they just rotated the tyres and gave it back. They didn’t even do wheel balancing/alignment. In next few thousand KMs the rear tyres that were rotated as front tyres also got worn out and that time, when I questioned a lot, they accepted that there was issue at last time but nothing was checked. The steering rack was faulty and had some issue from the beginning. They changed it under warranty but were not willing to compensate for tyres. My argument was that tyres had worn out because of faulty steering rack. They accepted that but said that tyres are not under warranty and they are not getting any claims from BYD. So I ended up paying for new tyres. I was never shown the faulty steering rack and I dont even know if they changed it. After few thousand more KMs, the tyres got worn out once again. Now, the warranty period is over and they are asking to pay for steering rack. They are claiming that there is bend in the rack. It’s only 5-7k after they replaced last set of tyres. I dont drive recklessly and most of the drive is on same roads. In fact after only 500-700 km of drive when they had changed the tyres and steering rack first time, I had sent the car suspecting wearing out of tyres. That time, they just sent it back confirming that there is no issue.

Anyways, this is getting repetitive and boring. I have not faced similar issue in any of the cars in last 30 years of my driving. May have bought 15 odd cars in these many years, from Maruti to Tesla. This is the only time, I have faced so much of issues with a car. I am not technically very sound and believe that if car is sent to authorized service centers, they will take care of the same. Getting issues multiple times and paying for their problem is something that is hurting me.

You would not have been better off with any brand in this case! I have come to realise EV are notorious for Alignment issues. There are just a handful experienced guys who can this right! I would advice pushing to an alignment expert and have the values matched as per the owners manual data. Have this compared every 2,500km to see the changes or after a highway run. Apart from this, even the electronic steering needs calibration. BYD are known for good range! I am surprised with your findings because I am easily able to attain 230-250km on my MG ZS EV at 120kmph with a 50kwh battery. Although, I have learnt that the weather really affects the range, even air draft due to windows being pulled down. I drove down from Delhi to Mumbai this January and the car managed 180km at 100kmph in 7-8 degrees temperature without the heater. The same changed when we reached Gujarat and managed 300km in a single charge at 27 degrees temperatures and the aircon on

Last edited by Aditya : 19th May 2024 at 17:56. Reason: Quoted text edited
suryaj1990 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 15:52   #144
BHPian

I can't say much about the tire issues since my EV is still new. But range drops like a hot potato once you cross 80. Cruising at 60-80 kmph is where EVs of today will give you a good range. 100 kmph shoots it down quite a bit, and anything above 100 kmph just hogs range like there's no tomorrow. In a brief highway run I took in my Punch EV, it took me approximately 1 percent of charge to cover 2 kms at 80 kmph, same 1 percent covered just a little more than 1.5 kms at 100, and at around 115, it was almost 1 percent of charge for 1 km covered. And I didn't accelerate to 100 or more than that harshly, granted I couldn't maintain 115 for more than 2-3 kms, but the drain was huge. This is just an aspect of EVs that we have to live with. Doesn't matter what brand we are buying, as far as I know, all EVs start losing range sharper once you go over 100 kmph. Some EVs, which are perhaps more aerodynamic, fare better than others, but all suffer.
TorqueAddict007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 19:20   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
270km at 120kmph on the DME in this hot weather is very very good. My Nexon LR will empty out in 130-150km at such speeds in this heat. Speaking from experience. Even in daily local running, my car is only just about breaching the 200km mark nowadays.

So, what you are getting is pretty great.
Absolutely. 270km at 120kmph is very very good.

We own an Atto3, and the worst figure on a full charge is ~360 km (at 100kmph+ speeds), and best I got so far is around ~480 km (at 70-80 kmph speeds). We can average this to ~420km, which is 25% less than marketed range (vs Tata EVs which are notorious for upmarking upto 40%).

If there’s one thing the Atto 3 is very good at, it is real range

The tire situation seems odd, as one should get around 40k+ km easily.
evolvo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 23:50   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
https://www.byd.com/in/service/warranty-policy

BYD Atto 3 Review-screenshot-20240518-11.41.35-pm.png

I'm not sure if the service center tricked you or if this is some PR stunt. If there are any problems with steering, it should be covered under warranty.

The ATTO 3 is FWD and only the front wheels are wearing out and that too equally.
From the speeds you are doing and the range you have mentioned, I'm guessing you are pretty much flooring it every chance you get.
EV tyres wear out very quickly if you drive it hard due to the heavier weight and instant torque. People also tend to drive it faster due to there being no noise that tells you the car is being "redlined" nor the added cost of fuel.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/tyres-...ars-says-study
Cresterk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 00:12   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
The ATTO 3 is FWD and only the front wheels are wearing out and that too equally.
From the speeds you are doing and the range you have mentioned, I'm guessing you are pretty much flooring it every chance you get.
EV tyres wear out very quickly if you drive it hard due to the heavier weight and instant torque. People also tend to drive it faster due to there being no noise that tells you the car is being "redlined" nor the added cost of fuel.
Exactly this. Came here to comment that it is very likely due to flooring the car and the EV torque stressing out the tyres is most likely the explanation for wear.

To OP:

1. Does the tyre have even wear or uneven wear? If the front tyres are getting worn evenly (i.e wear is consistent across the tread of the tyre), then it is low chance to be an alignment issue.

2. What is your driving style like? Do you drive with a heavy foot?

I also don’t think that tyres are covered by any car manufacturer in their warranty as there is little that the car can do to influence anything to go wrong with tyres.

I’m also not sure how steering rack issue could cause tyre wear. If it did, you would very likely feel it while driving because the dynamics should be off. You wouldn’t have been able to clock such miles and drive at such speeds without feeling unstable.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 19th May 2024 at 00:14.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 06:19   #148
BHPian

It's simple physics. The power required to overcome aerodynamic drag increases roughly 200% if you are driving at 120kmph instead of 80kmph( assuming everything else remains same). So it's normal to get lesser range. With ICE even with higher power demands the engine might be tuned to be running at its most efficient or near its more efficient. Winters could be worse because of denser air.

Plus MIDC (certification test cycle) has a too speed of 90 kmph. The entire test also has rural, urban and extra urban cycles with a lot of braking zones. So as many of you know there is a lot of regenerative energy récupération options in the cycle. On the expressway that wouldn't be the case.

As for tyres other than the alignment issues, EVS have been known to chew through tyres because tyre tech has not yet caught up to the really high torque being produced at the wheels.

Last edited by touring_spirit : 19th May 2024 at 06:22.
touring_spirit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 14:27   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
https://www.byd.com/in/service/warranty-policy

Attachment 2607347

I'm not sure if the service center tricked you or if this is some PR stunt. If there are any problems with steering, it should be covered under warranty.
Thanks for this chart. They accepted warranty on steering rack first time but had to pay for tyres as tyres were not covered under warranty. Now this is a tricky situation. As a customer, tyres are not covered but they get worn out because of steering rack issue only, so should be paid for as well.

Second time they are saying that there is external impact and so warranty will not be covered. I believe that there is no external impact, none that I could recall. Also, issue came up immediately 3rd time so I have my apprehensions on their diagnosis.

Also, it’s not that I am driving all the time at high speeds.
Mumbai expressway was newly built and speed allowance is 120. You will rarely see any car running slower and that’s once only in 14 months
Normally in a city like Delhi Gurgaon, how fast can you drive given the traffic situation.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th May 2024 at 22:45. Reason: SMS lingo
Old 20th May 2024, 07:38   #150
BHPian

Oops, sorry to hear about your ordeal, hope better sense prevails with the dealer and he pushes your case with the BYD guys instead of coming back to you with NO as an answer! BYD’s image is not that great on the social media as a reliable car manufacturer! Adding to this, we have not so customer friendly attitude which adds fuel to the fire!

Did you check if you have rust issues in the car? I see many complaining about this! Check with a FNG as BYD dealer will be on denial mode and your car is out of warranty!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks