Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2023, 21:13   #16
th2
BHPian

Re: Should Tata Motors build a supercharger network like Tesla?

Consider the following:

- On the highways, folks would not want to wait for more than 15-30 minutes at a charging stop.
- We need enough charging bays at a location (say 10 or more) so that there is a good chance that an empty slot is available whenever a car drives in.
- As number of EVs increase - they are already more than doubling every year - demand for highway charging is going to grow exponentially.

The point is that it is not only Tata Power or any other entities capabilities in question here. The discoms have to have the capacity to provide reliable power to charging locations on the highways. 20 bays at 50KW each or 10 at 100KW is 1 MW of power. It is equivalent to the power consumed by 100 middle class homes at peak times I guess. Or a mid sized apartment colony.

The state governments have to up their game and build out the distribution network and capabilities. It needs to be reliable too. Can't rely on fossil fuel based captive power generation even as backup - defeats the purpose. I don't know how reliable power supply is outside of the cities. Lots of industry do have their own captive power generation capabilities.

Tata Power will need to coordinate and work with the discoms to ensure both capacity and reliability. I suspect this is the reason it will take longer than it should before we see widespread high-speed charging infra on our highways.

Maybe India will evolve differently. Solar/Wind --> Green Hydrogen --> EV charging. Who knows?
Old 8th January 2023, 21:59   #17
BHPian

Re: Should Tata Motors build a supercharger network like Tesla?

It should be like those multi point mobile chargers which support all types of mobiles. Without that won't be a success.

Most Viewed