Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2024, 09:53   #781
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Now getting range of a meagre 100-120 kilometers approx in from 100% to 22% SOC.

Usage of AC all the time must be the reason.

Stats shown in Zconnect app. Note : SOC from 100% till 22%. So for 78%, I drove for 99 kms.

Screenshot 1Tata Tiago Electric Review-66b641015f2d40a8b7d5b4ed4684d910.jpg

Screenshot 2Tata Tiago Electric Review-0b461426c5424f43b2dbbd25d9dc243e.jpg

Its times like these I wonder if I should have waited for Punch EV (long range model).

Also I remember during rainy days, even slighty opening windows (yes I have installed windows visors) still wasn't enough to pull out the fog inside windshield.

I wonder if only using fan as a defrost will work and won't have impact on using battery ?

Last edited by userAditya : 13th April 2024 at 10:14. Reason: Attaching screenshots of Zconnect....
Old 13th April 2024, 11:12   #782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by userAditya View Post
Now getting range of a meagre 100-120 kilometers approx in from 100% to 22% SOC.

Stats shown in Zconnect app. Note : SOC from 100% till 22%. So for 78%, I drove for 99 kms.

Screenshot 1Attachment 2594051

Screenshot 2Attachment 2594052

Its times like these I wonder if I should have waited for Punch EV (long range model).

Also I remember during rainy days, even slighty opening windows (yes I have installed windows visors) still wasn't enough to pull out the fog inside windshield.

I wonder if only using fan as a defrost will work and won't have impact on using battery ?
The issue is heat. Summers having truly set in, the car diverts a lot of energy to keep the battery and cabin cool. Look at your graphs, it says 25% energy is being used by climate control.

The range of my Nexon LR has also dropped from 280km to 200km over the past few weeks as temperatures have soared. LR gives range of MR, and MR people are, well, screwed.

Investing in a good quality sunfilm for the front windshield will be beneficial.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 13:24   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Investing in a good quality sunfilm for the front windshield will be beneficial.
Any recommendations ?

I remember someone at the showroom saying we have a UV blocker film installed on all glasses at the time of buying. We never really spoke about it tbh.

Also a good sunfilm means a darker shade ? That would be a problem at night /??

Regarding battery cooling I thought, the coolants installed at the front would be the one to cool down the battery... I understand about the cabin thing though!

Last edited by userAditya : 13th April 2024 at 13:25.
Old 13th April 2024, 15:42   #784
BHPian

Quote:

You would have had lower power consumption by AC had you bought a white color car.
Your Blue car is the next worst color after black for solar reflectance, it only reflects 27 to 29% compared to 24 to 26% for black. Blue shade is also performs one of the worst even with specially made reflective paint.

A red color car will reflect over 40% of the solar while a white color car would reflect more then 70% of the solar.

I really wonder whats the logic of Tata to launch dark edition in a hot country like ours.
DIY410 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 16:34   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
You would have had lower power consumption by AC had you bought a white color car.
Your Blue car is the next worst color after black for solar reflectance, it only reflects 27 to 29% compared to 24 to 26% for black. Blue shade is also performs one of the worst even with specially made reflective paint.

A red color car will reflect over 40% of the solar while a white color car would reflect more then 70% of the solar.

I really wonder whats the logic of Tata to launch dark edition in a hot country like ours.
Approximately how much does repaint cost, say for the TIago EV itself....
Old 13th April 2024, 18:25   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Approximately how much does repaint cost, say for the TIago EV itself....
You can probably wrap the roof white or get the roof painted.

In fact PluginIndia had asked the head of Tata EV why they don't offer cars with white roof. I guess Tata has recieved this feedback and is offering white roofs in certain models like Nexon and Punch EV. Even Citreon sells eC3 with white roof option.
A white car is 6+ Celsius cooler inside, when parked under the sun. This kind of difference is a lot for any AC compressor to overcome.
DIY410 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 22:27   #787
BHPian

Forgot to put down the handbrake today, and I pressed the accelerator and the car did move, well not so much but like at 3/4 kmps. I immediately stopped though.

Should I get it checked out?

Also there have been instances at 100% SOC where crawling doesn't work at all even when handbrake was already down before starting the car by pressing the brake pedal ofcourse!.
Old 23rd April 2024, 11:36   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to put down the handbrake today, and I pressed the accelerator and the car did move, well not so much but like at 3/4 kmps. I immediately stopped though.

Should I get it checked out?

Also there have been instances at 100% SOC where crawling doesn't work at all even when handbrake was already down before starting the car by pressing the brake pedal ofcourse!.
Your question is not very clear. Your handbrake was down and car moved on pressing accelerator. what were you expecting and what are you suggesting is wrong?

Crawl mode in many cases activates only after you demonstrate your intent to move to the car. meaning, you have to press the accelerator once and then the car will get into crawl mode. if you just drop the handbrake and put it in drive mode, it wont move.

Edit: I read again and you are saying that the handbrake was engaged and it still moved. It's normal and depends on how tighly you engaged the handbrake also... If you didn't know many people drive for several kilometers without realizing that the handbrake is engaged and this is not specific to EV's. The handbrake is strong enough to hold a stationary car in its place but it not strong enough to resist accelerate from the engine especially if the handbrake is not engaged hard enough.

Last edited by vj_v3 : 23rd April 2024 at 11:40.
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 17:45   #789
BHPian

Insane heat wave man, today our car's AC was making insane noise while driving. I switched it off for some and started again and that noise was gone.

NGL was scared a bit with that roaring vibrating noise coming from the front. Its showing 43deg C. in the dashboard.

Has to be the coolants and AC working intensely.
userAditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 18:32   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoctor View Post
One of my friend's 4 month old (12k on the odo) Tiago's motor just got replaced under warranty.
So call it co incidence, poor fate, poor car quality or god knows what. The same car's axle broke without any accident or physical damage. My friend told, he was at a red light, as the signal turned green, he put the car in Drive and heard a solid breaking sound. He thought something might have been under the car which broke when the car moved. The car barely moved from the spot and it stopped to go further. Releasing the brake was not initiating a crawl. Called RSA, got it towed to the service centre who diagnosed it as a broken axle (Shaft connecting the motor to one of the front wheels).

The ordeal did not end there. The SC guys said that this will not be covered under warranty and insurance claim will be raised to fix the same. My friend argued that where do you see accidental damage to raise a claim. He had to put his foot down and then they agreed to call an engineer who inspected the vehicle and gave a go ahead for under warranty repair.

He has got the car back and run around 500 kms without any troubles so far. Point is how poor can Tata quality get?
idoctor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 18:40   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoctor View Post
So call it co incidence, poor fate, poor car quality or god knows what. The same car's axle broke without any accident or physical damage. My friend told, he was at a red light, as the signal turned green, he put the car in Drive and heard a solid breaking sound. He thought something might have been under the car which broke when the car moved. The car barely moved from the spot and it stopped to go further. Releasing the brake was not initiating a crawl. Called RSA, got it towed to the service centre who diagnosed it as a broken axle (Shaft connecting the motor to one of the front wheels).

The ordeal did not end there. The SC guys said that this will not be covered under warranty and insurance claim will be raised to fix the same. My friend argued that where do you see accidental damage to raise a claim. He had to put his foot down and then they agreed to call an engineer who inspected the vehicle and gave a go ahead for under warranty repair.

He has got the car back and run around 500 kms without any troubles so far. Point is how poor can Tata quality get?

Heard a couple of instances of this last year for nexon's. First time for Tiago I think.

It's the drive shaft like you clarified and not the axle. Sounds like the shaft was unable to handle the high torque of EV motor. Is it possible that he has the handbrake engaged and tried harder since the car wasn't moving?

And oh ya. This is absolutely a manufacturing defect and the company is liable for warranty.

Last edited by vj_v3 : 26th April 2024 at 18:41.
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 10:14   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Insane heat wave man, today our car's AC was making insane noise while driving. I switched it off for some and started again and that noise was gone.

NGL was scared a bit with that roaring vibrating noise coming from the front. Its showing 43deg C. in the dashboard.

Has to be the coolants and AC working intensely.
The Tiago AC makes a high pitched noise when ambient temperatures are extremely high (42-43 degrees) and the car is stuck in traffic. The cooling also appears to be diverted to the battery as i could sense reduced cooling in tbe cabin during such conditions. Under such conditions the fans appear to be running run at the highest speed and can sound quite concerning

Effective sunfilms (with atleast 40+ heat rejection) can definitely help decrease the load.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 16:47   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
Is it possible that he has the handbrake engaged and tried harder since the car wasn't moving?
Confirmed from him, nothing of that sort.
Old 29th April 2024, 11:05   #794
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
30,000 kms update:

4. I charge almost daily from 40% to 100%. No drop in range noticed as of now. In summers, the battery cooling system turns on when the I put the car for charging and stays on for 30 minutes or so. Neighbours have called me to say that my car is making sounds while getting charged; it’s always the A/C working to cool the batteries.
Looks like it drops to 40% from 100% daily? What is your daily usage in kms? Is it very high?
Old 29th April 2024, 14:09   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Looks like it drops to 40% from 100% daily? What is your daily usage in kms? Is it very high?
I have 120 kms daily commute. 80% highway and 20% city.
anshumandun is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks