Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2024, 20:38   #706
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Tata definitely needs to do something about the Heating setup on Tiago EV!
The AEC goes from an average of circa 110 wh/km to nearly 200 wh/km with the heater on.
That means that I have to keep a couple of my windows open a notch to prevent fogging.
So my list of serious negatives with this car over the 9-10 months of ownership:
- Poor front seats with zero lumbar support
- Under-tyred
- Heater energy consumption

Plus one to this. I am struggling due to this. The temperature here is less than 5 degrees and the heater consumes the power like anything. On top of that the heater is very ineffective. I have started keeping a heating pad in the car to keep my feet warm.

On a side note there’s something wrong with my car. I drove 22 kms today and didn’t touch heater or AC. Still I kept losing 1% every one KM. And on the zconnect App it’s showing 50% energy consumption by climate control. Can anyone suggest what is wrong with the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_2719.png  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_2717.png  

Old 16th January 2024, 10:26   #707
BHPian

Looks like the thermal management to heat up the battery to optimal temperature is causing the massive WHKM jump,

Just curious is this a Tiago EV problem or a LFP chemistry problem or a TATA EV specific problem
mally2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 10:44   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Looks like the thermal management to heat up the battery to optimal temperature is causing the massive WHKM jump,

Just curious is this a Tiago EV problem or a LFP chemistry problem or a TATA EV specific problem
This is not a problem that has anything to do with the battery, it’s thermal management or BMS. This is happening because north India is in midst of a freeze and the car uses power hungry resistive heating. Use the heater, and the battery drains. This is something which affects every mass market EV sold in India. This is a non issue for the coastal parts for the country where temperatures don’t dip into single digits, but a problem for us here in the plains and those further up in the hills.

Refer my thread for more details. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...er-months.html (Effect of climate control on EV range in the winter months)
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 10:52   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This is not a problem that has anything to do with the battery, it’s thermal management or BMS. This is happening because north India is in midst of a freeze and the car uses power hungry resistive heating. Use the heater, and the battery drains. This is something which affects every mass market EV sold in India. This is a non issue for the coastal parts for the country where temperatures don’t dip into single digits, but a problem for us here in the plains and those further up in the hills.

Refer my thread for more details. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...er-months.html (Effect of climate control on EV range in the winter months)
Correct, its what I thought too, every other EV here in India would react the same way. I guess nothing to be alarmed here then.
Old 17th January 2024, 11:07   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep M View Post
Anyone swapped their headlights to a better unit from the dealer itself? I enquired about this and from what the accessory staff told me, they can only change the high beams instead of low beam for Tiago EV. Is this true ?
I swapped stock halogen headlights with the Blaupunkt LED units from their genuine accessory catalogue. I think you have the picture of the same model. Based on your car variant the dealer would suggest H4 or H7. Since mine is the Tech Lux with projector for low beam and reflector for high beam, they suggested installing H7 on reflectors and leave the projectors as stock as they don't have compatible replacement accessory in stock. Since I insisted on not cutting the gasket, they removed the entire assembly and shoved the unit inside. The dealer charged me for labor, but I think they did a good job, and it took them an hour to get this done. Don’t think I would have been able to do this as a DIY as you can’t easily access the passenger side unit without removing the 12V battery. Damage to my pocket was 7k.

Though I’m happy with the performance, I can’t vouch for the safety of these since I feel they might be blinding. I can probably comment on this once I have a proper highway run.
thomahawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 11:51   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
Though I’m happy with the performance, I can’t vouch for the safety of these since I feel they might be blinding. I can probably comment on this once I have a proper highway run.
Please also try it out in rains. I have always felt that the halogens are better even for the one driving. Recently drove 2023 Brezza that comes with LED lights. While things are bright something about it makes we feel uncomfortable (frequency spread of the resultant light may be). Or may be it is just me.
Old 17th January 2024, 12:03   #712
BHPian

Alright. Another two issues I noticed today.

1.While we go over bumps, breaks engaged, the car tends to leap forward!

2. When breaks are engaged, I hear a shudder sound. Not the way abs kicks in. Can’t feel it on the pedal. Just the noise.

Loving the ‘S’ mode to the core!
Old 17th January 2024, 13:31   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinDev View Post
Alright. Another two issues I noticed today.

1.While we go over bumps, breaks engaged, the car tends to leap forward!

2. When breaks are engaged, I hear a shudder sound. Not the way abs kicks in. Can’t feel it on the pedal. Just the noise.

Loving the ‘S’ mode to the core!
Yes the leap forward is annoying and a bit scary at times, I can reproduce this almost everytime, now I have learned to master it, crazy !!

Point 2 is related to the earlier issue too
mally2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 23:40   #714
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Shreyans,

Makes sense to an extent but why would it show the consumption under climate control. It should go under battery conditioning. Right?

Also I see your location as Faridabad. Could you please confirm what range you are getting these days in NCR ?
Old 21st January 2024, 02:13   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hey Shreyans,

Makes sense to an extent but why would it show the consumption under climate control. It should go under battery conditioning. Right?

Also I see your location as Faridabad. Could you please confirm what range you are getting these days in NCR ?
That’s because the energy is going into maintaining the cabin’s temperature, not the battery’s temperature. Battery doesn’t need any serious temperature maintenance, certainly not in the cold.

Nowadays, I am getting approx 220km to a full charge. If I don’t use the climate control(heater), I get close to 300.
Old 21st January 2024, 10:36   #716
BHPian

Quote:
That’s because the energy is going into maintaining the cabin’s temperature, not the battery’s temperature. Battery doesn’t need any serious temperature maintenance, certainly not in the cold.

Nowadays, I am getting approx 220km to a full charge. If I don’t use the climate control(heater), I get close to 300.
What is your whkm usually when you get the sub 300km range
Old 21st January 2024, 10:39   #717
BHPian

On a side note I have been monitoring my whkm for over 1000 km and it’s averaging at 109 which is 220km range for average city use per 100-0% with AC that is 70% of the advertised range. If I don’t use AC we are talking 240-250 which is 77-78% of advertised range
Old 21st January 2024, 14:16   #718
BHPian

Quote:

This is exactly my concern. I have mentioned in my previous posts. I haven’t switched on AC or heater in last 200 kms. Still the whkm is very high and it is showing 50% energy is being consumed by climate control.

My last charge cycle is showing an average AEC of 135 plus without the usage of heater or AC. I barely got 165 kms range.
Old 21st January 2024, 15:05   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
This is exactly my concern. I have mentioned in my previous posts. I haven’t switched on AC or heater in last 200 kms. Still the whkm is very high and it is showing 50% energy is being consumed by climate control.
If you have kept the AC and Auto mode off, please make sure the temp is set to something like 22. Becuase on a chilly morning with everything off and fan set to 1 speed and temp set to 24. I still feel the hot air coming from the fan.
Old 21st January 2024, 16:26   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
If you have kept the AC and Auto mode off, please make sure the temp is set to something like 22. Becuase on a chilly morning with everything off and fan set to 1 speed and temp set to 24. I still feel the hot air coming from the fan.
Hi ferrarirules,

No Ac, no heater, no fan whatsoever. That’s what I have been trying to say in my posts. The climate control is completely off. Still the car is showing 50% energy consumption by climate control system. The car has 240 kms on odo. And I have only used climate control in first 10-15 kms. The climate control is completely off since then. Still I am barely getting 165 kms. I even visited the service centre. The head technician didn’t even look at the car and told me to discharge and recharge the car four times at least and then range should be settled. I asked him why it is showing battery consumption under climate control he had no answer. All he said was just go and discharge and recharge the car four times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks