Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2024, 19:58   #691
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hey Almetal,

What’s the range you are getting with 185 section tyres. I just took delivery of a Tech Lux and also want to upgrade. However not sure what would be the impact on the range. My daily drive would be little over 100 kms so little worried on the range. I have to face frequent power cuts in the area so want the car to last two days at least. Looking forward to the inputs . Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I'm getting a range of about 200 kms with a full charge after I switched over to Yokohama.
You might think of Bridgestone as well, they may give you a better range than the Yokohama, since they are of harder compound.
Almetal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 00:04   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post
Hi,
I'm getting a range of about 200 kms with a full charge after I switched over to Yokohama.
You might think of Bridgestone as well, they may give you a better range than the Yokohama, since they are of harder compound.
200 is good for me. Thanks a ton man. The car is parked for last five days since I couldn’t decide on tyres. Not a fan of Bridgestone. It’s has always been Michelin and Yokos for me. Will look for the options this weekend.
Old 8th January 2024, 10:45   #693
BHPian

So finally did a proper highway run with the Tigor EV on Sunday, 7th January.

Route:

Trivandrum Central - Thiruvallam - New NH all the way to Karode- Kaliyikkavilai- Mandaikadu Temple - Kumarakovil Temple - Nagercoil

Back via the same route

Specs before start off

Charge : 100 % ( slow charged previous night)
Regen Level : Set to 1

Tyre Pressure : 35 PSI ( Front), 38 PSI ( rear)
Tyres: Stock Apollo ones
Wheels: Updated to lighter Uno Minda Alloy wheels with negative offset, so the front track is a bit more wider

Passengers : 2 people with a combined weight of 150kg
Luggage: Nil

Start time : 9.15 am
End time : 3:00 pm

Ambient Temperatures ( per car reading) : 35 to 37 degrees

Average speed ( as per Z connect app) : 31 km/h

Driving time : 5 hours

Top speed : 93 km/h

Aircon Setting - 24 to 26 degrees depending on our comfort

Travel Purpose:

The main purpose of the visit was of course temple darshan plus to try out the newly opened section of the NH from Kovalam to Karode. Also the Tigor EV has never had a proper long distance non stop journey till date and wanted to see how much kms we can safely travel without hypermiling or eco driving.

Trip Details:

The NH road section is a beauty and sparsely trafficked, so a joy to drive. However, things come to an abrupt stop at Karode and you are back to single lane slow moving old highway where traffic was surprisingly thick for a Sunday ( mainly due to Sabarimala season i think).

One point to note is that the weather was super hot and humid , so AC was on full time and set to cool us properly ( no Eco mode) , as the sun was beating down on us from the front glass onwards and during return.

As many people from Trivandrum know, we took the detour via Thiruvallam ( to avoid the toll!) and joined the NH before Kovalam. I was NOT looking for max efficiency, just drove in regular fashion anticipating traffic and trying to maximize energy recovery from regen without using friction brakes.

I had to use occasional bursts of sport mode ( 10 times in total from 10 seconds to 30 seconds) for quick overtakes on single lane stretches and for getting up to speed quickly on the NH.

Fuel or rather Charge Efficiency details:

Total Distance Covered : 177 kms

Efficiency ( see pic below) : 117 wh/km

Remaining charge : 17%

Average km obtained per 1% drop n charge : 2.13 kms per 1% charge

So, THEORATICAL range one can safely travel with AC on ( 100% to 10%) - 192 kms

** I never see the point going below 10% as it goes into limp mode with snail's performance and no AC, this is not a practical point to measure range at the cost of discomfort and inconvenience to fellow passengers.

Driving Comfort:

Now, the biggest advantage after the operating cost , is the drive comfort. Absolutely no vibrations or engine noise or clunks when changing gears. Not to mention the butter smooth steering and the joy of ALMOST one pedal driving. In fact this is felt most in constant stop start traffic conditions peculiar to Kerala where much of the roads are still narrow and single lane.

Next is the comfort for the co passengers. First they are not aware of what speed you are travelling at (hihi!) and since there are no jerks, my dad was sound asleep after lunch on the return leg ( he never sleeps and is usually super vigilant on kerala roads).

This is over and above the usual Tigor advantages of compact size, good aircon and stable highway manners ( further enhanced by the new alloy wheels)

Only minus is tyre roar on the concrete sections of NH and the odd trim rattle over rough roads ( the trim rattles on my Tigor are not fully fixed yet).

Overall the impression is akin to driving a much more expensive car

Savings:

If i had to take my Brezza for the similar journey, assuming I will get 15 km/l ( at best), I will have to spend at least 12 liters of petrol

12 liters of petrol : 109.42*12 = 1313 rupees

180 kms of electric ( I am going for the higher delta of 1km = 1.5 rupees) : 180*1.5 = 270 rupees

Savings : 1313 - 270 = 1043 rupees !

Remember , this is the saving over just ONE small local trip.

Conclusion:

Petrol and diesel cars are indeed fun as I grew up in it ( everything from Matador Ambassdor to BMW) , but now I am at a point where I struggle to appreciate their benefits apart from nostalgia sake, especially for a crowded city guy like me.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20240108-10.19.56.jpeg  

Last edited by Nanolover : 8th January 2024 at 10:50.
Nanolover is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:14   #694

I am facing a minor range issue my Tiago EV. I recently got 242kms in December with 3% battery remaining, without AC (I live in NCR). It felt optimistic after that, and have been trying to reach the 250km goal, which can only done in the winters.
Unfortunately, now I only get upto 230km without AC (I recently got 228km with 2% remaining). I don't think my drive pattern has changed much, and wonder if the battery has deteriorated as much. It's making me quite anxious. The efficiency for last 5k kms is displayed as 87Wh/km. That would translate to 270+km range. I'm not able to understand why the displayed efficiency is so much different from observed one. Should I measure the charging units consumed by the car in a full charge?
EVwaleGgn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:51   #695
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVwaleGgn View Post
I am facing a minor range issue my Tiago EV. I recently got 242kms in December with 3% battery remaining, without AC (I live in NCR). It felt optimistic after that, and have been trying to reach the 250km goal, which can only done in the winters.
Unfortunately, now I only get upto 230km without AC (I recently got 228km with 2% remaining). I don't think my drive pattern has changed much, and wonder if the battery has deteriorated as much. It's making me quite anxious. The efficiency for last 5k kms is displayed as 87Wh/km. That would translate to 270+km range. I'm not able to understand why the displayed efficiency is so much different from observed one. Should I measure the charging units consumed by the car in a full charge?
Your battery has not deteriorated, you see varying range as there could me multiple factors not just driving style

Try to rest trip meter for every full charge and calculate the displayed WHKM and measure against 24000w*used % divided by AEC, max its should be off by 5% deviation as it could be emergency reserve battery
mally2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 13:40   #696
BHPian

Anyone swapped their headlights to a better unit from the dealer itself? I enquired about this and from what the accessory staff told me, they can only change the high beams instead of low beam for Tiago EV. Is this true ?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-img20230809wa0014.jpg  

Sandeep M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 21:35   #697
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have two questions for the fellow Tiago Ev owners.

1. I live in Chandigarh and weather here is very cold. All the glasses in the car get fogged within minutes of starting the journey. I have to use defogger every 3-4 minutes. I don’t have this problem in my other cars. Is this because the cabin of Tiago is smaller as compared to my other cars? Do you guys also face this problem if yes is there any solution.

2. Because of the cold weather I am used to using the heater in the car. I went for a drive few days back with heater on . It was a 10 KMs to and fro journey and the car showed a whopping 300+ wh/km on my return. Is it normal?
Old 11th January 2024, 21:39   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have two questions for the fellow Tiago Ev owners.

1. I live in Chandigarh and weather here is very cold. All the glasses in the car get fogged within minutes of starting the journey. I have to use defogger every 3-4 minutes. I don’t have this problem in my other cars. Is this because the cabin of Tiago is smaller as compared to my other cars? Do you guys also face this problem if yes is there any solution.

2. Because of the cold weather I am used to using the heater in the car. I went for a drive few days back with heater on . It was a 10 KMs to and fro journey and the car showed a whopping 300+ wh/km on my return. Is it normal?
Yes to both.
Though 300wh/km seems very high. I have never seen 200+ with ACC set to 27 this winter so far.
Old 12th January 2024, 08:57   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Yes to both.
Though 300wh/km seems very high. I have never seen 200+ with ACC set to 27 this winter so far.
I agree that heating uses a lot more kw than cooling, however though the max the MID shows is 250whkm AEC. very surprised to see 300whkm.
Old 12th January 2024, 15:17   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
I agree that heating uses a lot more kw than cooling, however though the max the MID shows is 250whkm AEC. very surprised to see 300whkm.
I am new to the car. Don’t know where it shows up in MID. I checked the Zconnect App. And it was showing a whopping 300+. Infact on the energy consumption it was showing 48% consumption by driving and remaining 52% by the climate control system. It is very heartbreaking. I have a habit of keeping the blower on and the airflow towards bottom to keep the feet warm.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_2702.png  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_2703.png  

Last edited by nik0502 : 12th January 2024 at 15:22.
Old 12th January 2024, 17:54   #701
BHPian

Quote:
I am new to the car. Don’t know where it shows up in MID. I checked the Zconnect App. And it was showing a whopping 300+. Infact on the energy consumption it was showing 48% consumption by driving and remaining 52% by the climate control system. It is very heartbreaking. I have a habit of keeping the blower on and the airflow towards bottom to keep the feet warm.
This is more prevalent for short distance drives as the cabin doesn't reach the optimum temperature by the time the drive is over.
Old 13th January 2024, 00:11   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Though it was a short drive the duration of 1.05hr seems to be the reason. Were you using heater for an hour. That could be reason for such a large whkm. EVs don’t have engine heating so they use a lot of energy for heating. Continue driving until the battery is about 30% and then measure the whkm
Old 13th January 2024, 03:10   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Though it was a short drive the duration of 1.05hr seems to be the reason. Were you using heater for an hour. That could be reason for such a large whkm. EVs don’t have engine heating so they use a lot of energy for heating. Continue driving until the battery is about 30% and then measure the whkm
The drive was for ~ 10 KMs in dense traffic. If you look at the average speed it was ~10 KMs per hour. The car was being used and heater was on. Not in the stationary vehicle. I am aware the car doesn’t have engine heat like conventional ICE cars however I would still say 50% drop in efficiency because of heating is unheard of. The AC drops only 10% efficiency.
Old 13th January 2024, 07:54   #704
BHPian

Quote:
The drive was for ~ 10 KMs in dense traffic. If you look at the average speed it was ~10 KMs per hour. The car was being used and heater was on. Not in the stationary vehicle. I am aware the car doesn’t have engine heat like conventional ICE cars however I would still say 50% drop in efficiency because of heating is unheard of. The AC drops only 10% efficiency.
Was this drive started with a fully charged battery i.e from 100%? If so the energy consumption figures give scary readings till the charge drops to around 95% ( this is when regen kicks in). For me also it's the se case with the tigor, when I reset the trip meter after every 100% charge. The first 10kms give very high energy consumption readings ( around 280 to 330) before it settles down.

On a different matter, if the overall range per charge doesn't vary much there is not much to fret and this reading is more of a variable ( like instantaneous fuel consumption).
Old 15th January 2024, 10:45   #705
Senior - BHPian

Tata definitely needs to do something about the Heating setup on Tiago EV!
The AEC goes from an average of circa 110 wh/km to nearly 200 wh/km with the heater on.
That means that I have to keep a couple of my windows open a notch to prevent fogging.
So my list of serious negatives with this car over the 9-10 months of ownership:
- Poor front seats with zero lumbar support
- Under-tyred
- Heater energy consumption

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks