Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 10:36   #616
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Hi,
I'm getting the delivery of the XT LR model next week and wish to change the steel wheels to alloys.
Presently the Tiago comes with 14" Steel Wheels and I wish to upgrade to 15" alloys.
Would 15" be recommended or should I just stick to 14" Alloys.? And would 15" void the warranty?
Old 17th November 2023, 12:10   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Yes the newer batches have both which is a bummer for folks like me who cant even retrofit it as an accessory
Yes, has anyone you know got this vehicle delivered?
I've spoken to two big dealers in Chennai and both of them are flatly refusing to accept that this is available.
They continue to come up with poor explanations to justify that only camera is being provided ( despite me showing them the above video and the lastest brochure from Tata's website)

I have told them that I will not proceed with the booking unless a vehicle having both camera and sensors is alloted to me.
Old 19th November 2023, 17:22   #618

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

So, we have been driving the top variant since first week of April. We have driven close to 11k km now. The car was giving great mileage till the second service done at around 8500 km.

Below is my account of when the trouble began.

So before the second service was done, in an isolated incident, I was sitting in the car with the car turned on and parked with the ac on. I turned off the ac, and then the car. Within moments, I turned on the car again. The backlight for the buttons and the ac stopped working. I turned off the car, waited for 5 minutes and then when I started the car again, everything worked. Few days later, my dad was driving and the car started giving overheating error. He didn't note down the exact error or take a picture, so I can't say for sure what the exact error was. The same day we sent the car for the second service, as it was due anyway.

The service center informed us that they fixed the overheating issue, and sure enough, it was gone.

Now, before this second service, we were getting 200+ km with ac in Delhi summers. Wh/km was rarely ever above 120. Without a, it stayed below 100. After the service, the wh/km went up to an average of 140 and the range dropped. We informed this to the service center, and they insisted that it is purely based on driving habits. However, nothing had changed. Same people still drove the car in the same way that they did before.

We drove for another 2k km, with range not being the best, but with being more light footed, we were able to get close to 2 km in 1%, which is without ac and still lower than what it used to be.

A few days ago, I was driving back home and I was at around 150 km from 68% with Wh/km around 111. Then the battery started dropping rapidly, and at 166 km it was down to 16%. That's 16 km in 16% battery. Then, limp mode activated at 16% and at 15%, the dreaded HV Critical Alert showed up. I would like to add that for 15-20 minutes, I tried using the heater(there doesn't seem to be a dedicated button, but the temperature dial can go up to 30 degrees).

I restarted te car, and it was gone. But the limp mode continued, and at 15%, the HV Critical Alert was back.

We gave the car to the service center, and initially they said there is nothing wrong with the car and we should collect it. We asked them to thoroughly check everything. A few hours later, on the same day, they called back saying the battery pack is faulty and will need to be replaced. They already placed the order for a new battery pack, which will take 15-20 days to arrive.

Since our car was in driving condition, they told us to collect it and ensure we don't take it below 20%.

Now, one thing I would like to confirm with anyone else who faced this error is their usage of fast chargers(both AC and DC).

Before any of the issues came up, I took the car to Jim Corbett and Nainital from Delhi. A trip where I had to DC fast charge a good number of times, and AC fast charge once. With DC fast charging, I charged till 100% a few times. The service center is telling us that we should never use fast charging more than 4 times without slow charging to 100% at least once in between.

I don't know how accurate this information is, but is there a correlation between the two?

My other theory is the issue being with the AC somehow.

Anyway, I will update once the battery pack is changed.

P.S. Other niggles I want to mention include the really terrible shockers. My 10 year old i10 with CNG kit still has better shock absorption than Tiago EV. Also, I read other users report this before, but if you happen to pass a pothole while applying brakes, there seems to be a sudden acceleration and the car speeds up for a moment. This, I believe is dangerous. Also, hard braking seems to cause some sort of turbulence. I know it's the ABS activating, but it's just so bad and does not instill any confidence.
Invictus13 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 09:18   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus13 View Post
So before the second service was done, in an isolated incident, I was sitting in the car with the car turned on and parked with the ac on. I turned off the ac, and then the car. Within moments, I turned on the car again. The backlight for the buttons and the ac stopped working. I turned off the car, waited for 5 minutes and then when I started the car again, everything worked.

Now, before this second service, we were getting 200+ km with ac in Delhi summers. Wh/km was rarely ever above 120. Without a, it stayed below 100. After the service, the wh/km went up to an average of 140 and the range dropped.

A few days ago, I was driving back home and I was at around 150 km from 68% with Wh/km around 111. Then the battery started dropping rapidly, and at 166 km it was down to 16%. That's 16 km in 16% battery. Then, limp mode activated at 16% and at 15%, the dreaded HV Critical Alert showed up. I would like to add that for 15-20 minutes, I tried using the heater(there doesn't seem to be a dedicated button, but the temperature dial can go up to 30 degrees).
Firstly welcome to the forum Invictus13.

I have driven close to 12K kms and have faced exactly the same AC blank out issue once but I cant remember at what km, could be around the same 7-8k km mark, after the second service the range has definitely gone downhill. I used to easily average 110-115whkm until the second service, now even though we are in winter and I am using much less AC. I am hardly able to do 125-135whkm. This means my range is down by 15-20% overall.

Another thing I have noticed is the whkm on the MID is off by 7-8% wit reality, meaning @120whkm we should get a 200km range but actual is 180-185. Let me elaborate with your example ( 150 km from 68% with Wh/km around 111) 68% of 24kw = 24000*68% =16320w or 16.32kw. Further divide that with the predicted WH (111whkm ) = 16320/111 = 147whkm

In your case you are averaging a better WHKM compared to the MID, in my case my MID is over optimistic. if my MID says 110whkm the reality is 117whkm for example I travelled 186km for 98% ( yes i got my battery down to 2% ) @ 119whkm as per MID, reality should be that I should have done 197.6km @119whkm with 2% remaining or inversely I should have done 186km @ 126whkm and not 119whkm as the MID claims

I have tested this across multiple charge cycles and im getting quite frustrated. I don't want to hand the car to TASS as I am not facing any other issue :/ no HV or limp modes at wrong soc
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20231120-9.16.51-am.jpeg  

mally2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 09:56   #620
BHPian

Quote:

I have tested this across multiple charge cycles and im getting quite frustrated. I don't want to hand the car to TASS as I am not facing any other issue :/ no HV or limp modes at wrong soc
A very distant relative of mine had come to palakkad (in their tiago ev) and had come to my home to get their car charged because their fast charging is not working (charges for 2% and then stops). It has been so for some time and when they went for the last service, it seems the service centre said that water had got into the charging unit/battery pack while say washing the car. Of course I told them it is bullshit because if that is true then they would be facing much bigger problems. And I asked them to escalate the issue. Most likely it is some simple problem which the service center is not able to diagnose. Of course they had the standard "lid not closing problem" which I told them can be solved by bending the latch.

Tiago ev, a killer product from Tata unfortunately seems to have too many niggles that they will kill their low cost ev portfolio. And from the face of it these are silly issues that could be easily sorted out if they had a better trained technical staff.

Last edited by electric_eel : 20th November 2023 at 09:57. Reason: typo
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 13:39   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Before any of the issues came up, I took the car to Jim Corbett and Nainital from Delhi. A trip where I had to DC fast charge a good number of times, and AC fast charge once. With DC fast charging, I charged till 100% a few times. The service center is telling us that we should never use fast charging more than 4 times without slow charging to 100% at least once in between.

I don't know how accurate this information is, but is there a correlation between the two?
Can you please share the charging graph from zconnect for last one month?
Old 20th November 2023, 16:52   #622

Quote:

I have driven close to 12K kms and have faced exactly the same AC blank out issue once but I cant remember at what km, could be around the same 7-8k km mark, after the second service the range has definitely gone downhill. I used to easily average 110-115whkm until the second service, now even though we are in winter and I am using much less AC. I am hardly able to do 125-135whkm. This means my range is down by 15-20% overall.

Another thing I have noticed is the whkm on the MID is off by 7-8% wit reality, meaning @120whkm we should get a 200km range but actual is 180-185. Let me elaborate with your example ( 150 km from 68% with Wh/km around 111) 68% of 24kw = 24000*68% =16320w or 16.32kw. Further divide that with the predicted WH (111whkm ) = 16320/111 = 147whkm
Thank you for welcoming me!

So, from what I have noticed, you need less than 120 wh/km to get 200 km. While as per the math, it makes sense from a 24 kwh battery. And I could be wrong but I think there is some energy loss that happens. So realistically, you need less wh/km than 120 to get a range of 200. But you are right, the MID does not do a good job of accurately showing information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Can you please share the charging graph from zconnect for last one month?
This is for the month of August. I went towards the end of the month.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-smartselect_20231120_163726_tata-motors-zconnect.jpg  

Invictus13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 18:15   #623
BHPian

Quote:
This is for the month of August. I went towards the end of the month.
This is a very bad charging pattern. I will explain (points below correspond to point number on the image)

1. Too many opportunity charging sessions - Opportunity charging is were you didn't reach 100% in previous charge cycle and used the car and then charged again. In your case you did this thrice before charging it to 100%

2. No charging session below 20% - In more than 9 charging cycles, you did do one cycle from below 20% in the beginning of the month but you didn't let it go to 100%.

Ideally below is what should be done for best battery health

1. Always charge to 100% as much as possible. Not necessary on a fast charger.
2. There should be one charge below 20% to 100% in every 4 charges
3. There should be one charge below 10% to 100% once in a month

If you are not able to follow this when on a outstation trip, it is not a big deal. You should try if you can do overnight destination charging at your hotel rather than doing a fast charge. Any type of AC charging (3.3 kw or 7.2 KW) is considered a slow charge (denoted by green line on zconnect graph).

Please note: This is true for LFP batteries used by MG and Tata. LFP batteries have many more discharge cycles than NMC batteries and don't have an issue to be charged to 100% often.

Lastly, I will request you to join TataEV.Club that will help you in getting access to EV community. There are EV long timers with good contacts in Tata who can help in getting your case escalated.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-smartselect_20231120_163726_tata-motors-zconnect.jpg
ferrarirules is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 14:16   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post
Hi,
I'm getting the delivery of the XT LR model next week and wish to change the steel wheels to alloys.
Presently the Tiago comes with 14" Steel Wheels and I wish to upgrade to 15" alloys.
Would 15" be recommended or should I just stick to 14" Alloys.? And would 15" void the warranty?
I've put the petrol Tiago OEM 15" alloys on my car. You can see the details here (Tata Tiago Electric Review).

I got the MCU and wiring harness changed under warranty so the alloys don't void the warranty on electricals for sure. Not sure about the warranty on suspension due to this change.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 15:31   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
I've put the petrol Tiago OEM 15" alloys on my car. You can see the details here (Tata Tiago Electric Review).

I got the MCU and wiring harness changed under warranty so the alloys don't void the warranty on electricals for sure. Not sure about the warranty on suspension due to this change.
My Tiago EV Alloy experiment here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5665531 (The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!)
mally2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 07:59   #626
BHPian

Hi there,

Never thought I would step into a TATA showroom, especially so into KEY motors on Mysore road, Bangalore. Especially after my Nexon fiasco. Everything that can be broken is broken with these guys, from sales to service.

As life would have it, we got super busy on personal and professional front. Urgently had to pick a city car to replace my wife's Nexon, and Tiago Lux Tech fit our needs better than competition. Circumstances forced us to walk into Key motors again! I had zero expectations and they did not fail to disappoint me. They followed their SOP to the T and goofed up everything they could, from booking, insurance, loan, registration to charger installation (still waiting).

Tata did not disappoint either, the fit and finish, the paint job, the panel gaps, the structural rigidity... Paid 12+ big ones for a product which feels like prototype.

Long story short, car is home and to TATAs credit, the car is serving my needs and giving me good range in Bangalore traffic with multiple short drives etc. it's small size with 4 doors, good ride, AC and frugal running cost is serving our needs. Have been driving with default factory mode, regen 1 with AC on and off, depending on weather (windows rolled up all the time) and in D mode.

Any suggestions on half decent Tata service centre in Bangalore is appreciated, my expectations is not much, for them to not break anything that is not broken
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-20231119_121118.jpg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-20231126_080619.jpg  

dr.dre is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 13:23   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Wanted know your longterm ownership view of CEAT tyres on 15” wheel, in terms of road noice and grip. EV being silent car, does the tyre have lot of road noise?
Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 15:08   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Wanted know your longterm ownership view of CEAT tyres on 15” wheel, in terms of road noice and grip. EV being silent car, does the tyre have lot of road noise?
Thanks
I don't have a frame of reference as I never used the stock tyres. The Ceat secura drive is a decent tyre. No problem with the grip unless you try to accelerate hard from a standstill which is probably more of an "instant electric torque" issue rather than a tyre grip issue. There is some road noise; it is more pronounced in the EV due to the silent drive-train but it can be easily masked with some music.
anshumandun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 00:04   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Lastly, I will request you to join TataEV.Club that will help you in getting access to EV community. There are EV long timers with good contacts in Tata who can help in getting your case escalated.
Hi, I'm getting my new Tiago EV delivered tomorrow. Would really appreciate if you could let me know how to join this ev community
Old 3rd December 2023, 22:59   #630
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi5hek View Post
Hi, I'm getting my new Tiago EV delivered tomorrow. Would really appreciate if you could let me know how to join this ev community
The webpage has instructions but it's telegram-only so, for now, I have not joined.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks