Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2023, 23:46   #541
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Congrats Sir, welcome aboard the wait train.
Just a noob question how are we supposed to decode the manufacturing date/month of the vehicle? Is it based off of VIN number embossed on the chassis. Thanks!
Thanks!

Yes, You can check the VIN against this guide. When I pointed out that the manufacturing would be May, the sales executive initially claimed that it wasn't that old but eventually gave in (after verifying on his phone).
crodjer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 11:49   #542
BHPian

Both my Tiago EV and Grand i10 Nios have fuel lid opening problem. How did engineers at respective companies failed to spot design issue at such a basic component for a mass market car?

Just dumbfounded by my luck.
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 12:02   #543
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post
Both my Tiago EV and Grand i10 Nios have fuel lid opening problem. How did engineers at respective companies failed to spot design issue at such a basic component for a mass market car?

Just dumbfounded by my luck.
Don't know about Grand i10 Nios, in Tiago EV I think they reduced fuel lid quality as a cost cutting measure, to improve the margins, as the car is very competitively priced.
Old 17th August 2023, 16:34   #544

Drive - Absolutely fantastic. But one thing, after doing these Regen Exercises, i did drive it with Zero Regen yesterday and it just felt so more comfortable and like any other car. In Regens, the vehicle slows down without any rear Red light warning and I have a sense the motorists behind in close traffic are caught off guard. I could see on more than few occasions that they apply brakes too close to my car because they do not get the Rear Red light connect.

Great point !
It's a safety miss. but can be fixed via a software upgrade. Check with Tata group if they already have a patch for this.
tkumarabhishek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 08:09   #545
BHPian

Yesterday we booked our Tiago EV(Xz plus Tech plus) white colour. Awaiting delivery in the next 4 weeks.It will be replacing our 9 year old Maruti Ritz VXi MT.
YashodhanGanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 21:28   #546
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishnansp View Post
While I do agree that cars have their niggles during initial batches, the problem is the way TATA ASC's handle these issues by blaming the customer. The customer closing the fuel lid is not as "professional" as a petrol pump attendant..?

That's the mother of all excuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Well you should check this to know about what is actually happening. Tata does have a problem, but other companies too have numerous issues in their vehicles. But those companies especially Kia, Hyundai, and MG are removing all the posts of the troubled customers from the web wherever possible with the help of their media partners(read as reviewers) while Tata is not doing the same. With the help of media, on one side they are hiding their ugly things under the carpet, on another side with the help of the same media they are targeting Tata.

My post is in no way writing off the issues of the Tata vehicles, but trying to show the full perspective. There are happy Tata customers and there are unhappy Tata customers, likewise there are happy and unhappy customers of other brands like Kia and Hyundai etc. But unhappy customers of Tata and their complaints are publicized heavily to monger fear among the current and prospective customers of Tata. While only happy customers of other brands are shown on the web, unhappy customers of these deceiving brands and their complaints are removed from the web!
This is exactly what I've been pointing out, and here's a recent example to illustrate my point:

A brand-new Kia Sonet, with only 1160 km on the odometer, experienced a breakdown on the road due to a broken axle. The owner reported this incident in a group, which is shown below. Remarkably, this issue remains known only to the members of that group. Conversely, if a similar issue were to occur with a Tata or Mahindra vehicle, platforms like RushLane would promptly pick up the news from the relevant owner groups. They would then write an article on their website and proceed to spread it across social media platforms. Strangely, these same platforms seem to remain quiet when troubled Hyundai or Kia owners share serious issues they're encountering with their cars. Rather than addressing these concerns, they attempt to suppress negative content about Hyundai, Kia, and MG. This is achieved through actions like banning or blocking members or deleting posts on their respective platforms.

This is the state of things in India. In USA, for a similar issue of broken axles involving 2 cars with less than 5000 miles on odometer, NHTSA launched a probe and forced Hyundai to recall 259000 cars.

Clearly, in India due to lack of proper consumer protection laws and enforcement, these companies are ganging up with online portals and reviewers to manipulate consumers and throw mud at their competitors. The latest incident involving brand new Kia Sonet with a broken axle shaft that I'm talking about:

Tata Tiago Electric Review-kia-sonet-axle-broken-breakdown.jpg
Tata Tiago Electric Review-kia-sonet-reliability-issues.jpg
Tata Tiago Electric Review-kia-sonet-niggles.jpg
wheelguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 00:34   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
Booked my Tiago EV XZ+ in Tropical Mist color yesterday. Hoping to get it within this month.
They also had the same variant in stock, but it was May build and the stockyard was basically an open sandy plot. So, I imagine it has been through the damp monsoon sitting there. Moreover, I imagine Tata _may_ have made improvements in production (purely speculation).
Got the vehicle delivered yesterday. The process from dealership was very prompt. I inspected the vehicle few hours after they received it from Tata. After which they were ready with accessories and RTO the same day! So was the charger installation. I received the vehicle with 18km on ODO. An August VIN delivered in August.

The car looks great to me so far. Some initial thoughts:
  • Coming from petrol, the lack of noise and vibrations give me a feeling as if I am coasting with the engine off - unnerving.
  • I like the re-gen. The dealership told me that it'll only kick in at 80% battery level - which isn't true. It seems to be working fine under 90%. Not yet sure of the cutoff.
  • They also have added parking sensors in XZ+ variant (thankfully). The lack of parking sensors in the test drive vehicle was surprising to me. I almost rear-ended it when reversing because of my old Tiago habit.
  • Also, I only came to know today that they removed one of the reversing lights from Tiago as well. Looks hideous - but not enough to cancel the delivery of course.
  • The range shown at ~90% charge was ~190km. But I'll be wait a bit to start monitoring the range so that the car and I have had some time to learn to each other.
  • I didn't realize that Tiago doesn't get the side cladding by default. I had it in my older Tiago Petrol. I guess I must have had it installed. I wonder if I should install it.
Does it make sense to get the car coated as I expect scratches? Traffic in Jaipur doesn't move in the direction of the road, even cars - all angles 0-180 may be expected.
People are extremely impatient - even 0.5 seconds of wait is intolerable to them.

Will share more updates when I find something interesting.
crodjer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 15:54   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkumarabhishek View Post
Drive - Absolutely fantastic. But one thing, after doing these Regen Exercises, i did drive it with Zero Regen yesterday and it just felt so more comfortable and like any other car. In Regens, the vehicle slows down without any rear Red light warning and I have a sense the motorists behind in close traffic are caught off guard. I could see on more than few occasions that they apply brakes too close to my car because they do not get the Rear Red light connect.

Great point !
It's a safety miss. but can be fixed via a software upgrade. Check with Tata group if they already have a patch for this.
I couldn't check myself on my own car but if speed from which regen is deceleratign is above 35 kmph, apparently the brake lights do turn on.

Quote:
[*]I like the re-gen. The dealership told me that it'll only kick in at 80% battery level - which isn't true. It seems to be working fine under 90%. Not yet sure of the cutoff.[*]They also have added parking sensors in XZ+ variant (thankfully). The lack of parking sensors in the test drive vehicle was surprising to me. I almost rear-ended it when reversing because of my old Tiago habit.

regen 1 starts from 98%. regen 3 starts from 87-88%. regen 2 somewhere in between.

Oh did they add parking sensors. didn't know.
vj_v3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 21:52   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post

One interesting thing that happened since I wrote the previous post was that - it turns out MG Motor's social media team seems to reading through these posts and proactively stepped in and mediated on some of the points I had mentioned in the earlier post. While it was completely unexpected, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the customer focus that MG Motors is having.
I found this in the MG Comet thread. I wonder if Tata does the same.
Old 22nd August 2023, 22:29   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
I couldn't check myself on my own car but if speed from which regen is deceleratign is above 35 kmph, apparently the brake lights do turn on.
I did try this out today, but I couldn't confirm it. Break lights do get reflected
in my new car's decorations, but I couldn't actually pay enough attention
during aggressive regen (for obvious reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
regen 1 starts from 98%. regen 3 starts from 87-88%. regen 2 somewhere in between.
Ahh, I see.

I think I'll actually not use Regen level 2 / 3 in general drives for some time
- at least until I can positively verify that break lights do turn on.
On Regen 3, it feels like medium level breaks (my co-passengers could bet
that breaks were applied in multiple instances when they actually were not),
which is nice but is dangerous without the break lights.

I don't believe this is a software fix though. I'd not be surprised if the break
pedal is the only switch for break lights - without any electronic circuitry.
That's actually the case in a few western cars as well. Moreover, Tiago is an
ICE platform car anyway.

Last edited by crodjer : 22nd August 2023 at 22:30.
crodjer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 20:16   #551
BHPian

Update

I have been driving with regen1 and after coming home, when required, I give an hours time and start charging. When I do, the fan starts up and I can feel hot air coming out on the floor from battery area, meaning it is cooling down the battery. The fan stops after 10 minutes or so and then it is normal charging.

Today I drove without regen, gave the same time, put it on charge, no fan and started charging normally.

I understand when regen is happening, while the battery gets charged back, it also gets heated up. Not sure whether this detrimental to the battery or OK.

For saving some electricity, if battery deteriorates faster, hmm it is a trade off.

Need to investigate more. Thought of sharing this observation

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 21:58   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
I understand when regen is happening, while the battery gets charged back, it also gets heated up. Not sure whether this detrimental to the battery or OK.
The battery gets heated up with general use and that is why batteries are liquid cooled. It depends on the length of the drive, the ambient temperature that the car fan turns on or not at start of charging. The fan can even turn on during the charging session to keep the battery temp in check. Regen does not cause any extra heating of the battery.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 20:28   #553
BHPian

Anyone knows if we can get an extended 3.3kw charging cable ? Or it comes in fixed size only ?

I am aware the current length of the 3.3kw charger is decent enough, was just aware if a longer one is availabe for sale from Tata themselves !
Old 26th August 2023, 23:44   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by userAditya View Post
Anyone knows if we can get an extended 3.3kw charging cable ? Or it comes in fixed size only ?

I am aware the current length of the 3.3kw charger is decent enough, was just aware if a longer one is available for sale from Tata themselves !
No, there is only a standard size cable from Tata. There may be a longer one from an external vendor or you can go with a custom made extension to use with existing charger.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 10:14   #555

Quote:
[*]They also have added parking sensors in XZ+ variant (thankfully). The lack of parking sensors in the test drive vehicle was surprising to me. I almost rear-ended it when reversing because of my old Tiago habit.[*]Also, I only came to know today that they removed one of the reversing lights from Tiago as well.
These were two of the biggest gripes I had with the car since I own a petrol 2017 Tiago XZ which has these features.

I am surprised they added parking sensors now and not at the launch, quite a surprising omission.
At least on the plus side i should be able to get it installed at the dealer now since I wasn't going to go down the aftermarket route.
Once you get used to parking sensors you can easily get caught out without them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks