Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2023, 11:22   #256
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Are you saying that you don't want to buy the car because the Zconnect app has bugs? Sorry but I don't quite agree with this opinion. Of course Tata should work to improve the app but I would not stop myself from getting a wonderful city car (if I want one) because the app has some bugs.

Except the app, the Harman system works perfectly. I have not experienced anything 'faulty' and 'buggy'.
Its more to do with the attitude that Tata is building. The system is connected independently to 12V Acid battery. The cost difference between the XT and XZ is 80K which doesnt really add much value. Why shouldnt I have option to buy XT and install a better after market device when they dont have direct connectivity to electronics of car mobility?

Car battery comes with 8 year warranty, and lot can happen in 8 years. Unable to upgrade/update for 8 years is kind of locking you to live with already known buggy device. Thats my point.

And you are right, its a tradeoff with luxury and type of car. I'm ok to pay for its engine but exploiting consumers on faulty accessaries that arent the key feature of the vehicle is disappointing.
Old 17th March 2023, 22:34   #257
BHPian

TL;DR version -- a new vehicle has been allotted, and the delivery is scheduled for this Sunday.

Was AWOL during a very busy week with work commitments, but thankfully there has been some progress for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
Fed up and with patience running thin at the end of the day, I have shot off an email to all Tata customer care handles, and also to respected Mr. Shailesh Chandra and Mr. Anand Kulkarni.
Friday 10 March

The very next day after I sent in the email, I received a short email from Tata customer care with a complaint case ID saying that my case has been forwarded to the regional office and I should be hearing from them soon.

I was visited in the afternoon by one of the senior managers from Tata Motors responsible for Ahmedabad, along with a delegation from the dealership.

With a bouquet of roses ()and apologies for my troubles, I was offered an alternative vehicle that the dealership had, which had already been allotted to another customer but which they were willing to "re-allot" to me. I politely but firmly insisted on a fresh allocation from the plant as I did not want to cause inconvenience to another customer (which should have been their lookout in the first place SMH).

They requested time till Monday evening so that they could co-ordinate with the plant and inform me when earliest would a vehicle with my trim and color be available. I agreed. There was no further discussion regarding anything else, and I made it abundantly clear in my conversation that I was not looking to exploit or ask for a discount / freebies, but I just wanted what I had rightfully paid for, and I was not willing to compromise on that.

Fifteen minutes after they left, the senior manager phoned me again and offered me a loaner car which I could use till they deliver my car. I accepted, and in the evening the dealership sent in their test drive vehicle of the Tigor EV facelift with 65% SoC.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-pxl_20230310_131143605.mp.jpg

Monday March 13

Evening 5:30pm I receive an email from the senior manager, mentioning that a new Tiago EV XZ+ Tech Lux in Tropical Mist color has been allotted to me and has been dispatched from the plant to my dealership.

Tuesday March 14

The dealership called me in the evening and informed me that the car had reached their stockyard and they would be doing their inspection, after which I would be free to visit them for a PDI. As Wednesday was very busy for me, I scheduled a PDI for Thursday morning 10am. I requested that the technical team remain present during the PDI so that if I had any queries they could be resolved at that time itself.

Thursday March 16

The car was clean and ready for PDI when I reached the dealership showroom. Checked the VIN and confirmed it to be of March 2023 manufacture. There were obviously a few minor fit and finish issues esp. with the plastic bits on the window, the roof liners etc. but they have been well documented on this forum already so I was not very surprised. Apart from these, the color finish and rubber linings were satisfactory. I took a short test drive to their workshop nearby where I requested them to connect their OBD scanner and show me the last ten DTCs. The service team obliged, and there were two errors on scanning, one with the climate control unit and one with the vehicle control unit / ECU. However I was told that these codes are routine and do not indicate any issue with the vehicle.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-20230316_102040_hdr.jpg
Tata Tiago Electric Review-20230316_102640_hdr.jpg

The vehicle passed the TeamBHP PDI checklist, and the test drive did not show any further issues so I was happy with the vehicle. I asked them to prepare the vehicle and I will be taking the delivery this Sunday.

Meanwhile, I shopped around for some insurance quotes and I opted for Kotak's insurance which was almost 10K cheaper than the dealership insurance, and it also gives 100% amount of battery value in case the HV battery needs to be replaced under insurance (for cases where the warranty does not cover it). The dealership counter-offered me an even cheaper insurance at 29K thru New India Assurance, but they were not willing to give the battery coverage percentage in writing (don't worry sir, even if provider is New India, service is from us, you will get all money of battery, you don't need it mentioned in written anywhere )

Invoicing is done, invoice dated 16th March. Insurance policy is issued. I want to make sure that all the formalities are completed before delivery, so that there are no further hiccups. The Legrand charging box was also installed at my home today late evening.

I tried to log in to the Z-connect app using the VIN but it throws an error that the chassis number is unlinked.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20230317-22.23.30.jpeg

I emailed the Tata Motors team and requested that they activate the Z-connect app for me. I got a bog-standard response from the dealership -- "sir, after you take the delivery, we will do the KYC and paperwork formality and send an OTP to your number, after verification the app will be activated after 48 hours". Tried very hard to explain -- since I have made the full payment, the invoice has already been generated, and the only thing left is actual delivery of the car, can you please complete that paperwork and KYC as well so that there are no pending things at the time of delivery? Somehow I fail to understand the logic why they cannot do it right now.

To my surprise, when I entered the VIN of the defective vehicle which was allotted to me before, the app instantly recognized that it was linked to my number and added it to the Z-connect app. It has got the color wrong, but rest of the details match. Dug in a little bit more, and found some surprising driving statistics from last month, including a top speed of 119 kmph, driven 99% at night with 7 counts of harsh braking. However the info is old, with the last update date of 6 March, and the app keeps popping up a connectivity issue error whenever I try to update.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20230317-22.15.10.jpeg
Tata Tiago Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20230317-22.15.09-1.jpeg
Tata Tiago Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20230317-22.15.09.jpeg
Tata Tiago Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20230317-22.15.08-1.jpeg
Tata Tiago Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20230317-22.15.08.jpeg

Hope Tata takes notice of the multiple complaints of the buggy Z-connect app and resolves them soon, or else I don't think there would be any takers for its subscription.

Next update on Sunday!
crazydevil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 22:41   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick.vkv View Post
I did PDI on Saturday but there were shortcomings and overall fit & finish is below par.
I am going tomorrow & if everything is ok, I would take delivery, else I would reject & opt for a new vehicle. Hope, it helps.
My experience at the PDI was quite similar, I think "below par" is "par for the course" when it comes to Tata, but we have little choice. Do share how your delivery went.
Old 19th March 2023, 19:56   #259
BHPian

XT model extra fitting done outside.

Came across this video. Interesting to read the comment. Wonder how did the owner get it fitted when the warranty was to get void. Is the owner here in the forum?
Old 20th March 2023, 09:28   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
High-voltage cables should've been covered up properly. Leaving them exposed is unsettling:

Excellent review, thanks for sharing! Tiago EV can be a good city car for folks with 100-150 km of daily commute. While it is good to know that TATA is updating its cars based on customer feedback, wish they could have rectified High-voltage cable cover up issue as well.
This image is slightly unsettling for me, is the border of the underhood slightly rusted or finished incompletely?

I am slightly concerned with various TATA users posing about car rusting problems on internet.

Also is there some solution to cover up those cables?
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:49   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli.ferns View Post
Continuing to share my ownership experience yet:

Came across two issues, probably more of a learning experience:

1. The tata power guy installed the point (yesterday) near my parking and after plugging in the charger for the first time, only the first green light on the brick kept blinking. The tata power installation tech told me that this indicated that the power is being received properly but its unable to charge the car and maybe an issue with the charger or the software in the car itself and that I had to drive the car to the service center. He too tried inserting the charger multiple times to ensure that it was plugged in properly but no luck. I pointed out to him that it maybe an issue that the car hasn't fully powered off (as I could see the brake lights on but he said that it should not be a problem) Next day (today) I drove to the service center and to my surprise, the charger worked over there. There was a moment I felt that I may have gotten myself into a problem as I have fitted rear and front parking sensors to aid my wife and I heard the advisor at the tata service make special note that I had those installed. However, since it worked, all is well and I didn't have to argue with anyone . I then got back home, parked the car, ensured that the car was completely turned off (had to turn the dial for the auto headlamps for all the lights to go off) and then plugged in the charger and it worked.
I am a Nexon EV (Max) user and have both the 3.3 kW (normal 16 Amps plug) as well as the 7.2 kW. The 3.3 kW worked instantly. The first two instances when I used 7.2 kW. It did not work but after ensuring that the charging gun is correctly connected it started working.

Also you need to make sure that the car is properly parked (i.e parking brake is engaged). In Nexon EV (Max) it is an electronic parking brake. I am not sure what is it in TiagoEV.

Quote:

2. The other issue I see is that the brakes don't work when the car is off. So I park on a bit of a slope and have a habbit of releasing the hand brake with the car turned off and using the regular brake. Only when the car is turned on, you can feel it getting pressed on applying pressure, else its hard (hadly moves and the car moves forward). This behavior is completely different from what I've seen in ICE automatic cars that I've owned.
Even for ICE cars it is a bad idea to release the handbrake before starting the car precisely for the reason that the normal brakes for many models do not work well when the car is off. Once when I was driving an alto and had to do a tricky parking on
an inclined I stalled the engine and suddenly found the brake is not as effective as it is when the engine is on. Thankfully I have the habit of only always having my hand on the hand brake; One of the best lessons I have learned is that even when moving
out it is best to release the hand brake at the very last point just as the clutch reaches the biting point. This has two advantages, (1) the fact that you will never roll back and (2) (counterintuitively) you will never forget to disengage the hand brake.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th March 2023 at 09:56. Reason: Removing unwanted spaces. Please type into the editor directly instead of copy-pasting from a word processor. Thanks!
electric_eel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 15:33   #262
BHPian

I did my PDI today. Everything was fine except for one issue. The ac was not working when the car was not moving. SA says that the AC works only when the car is moving.

Is it correct?
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:12   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_xyz View Post
I did my PDI today. Everything was fine except for one issue. The ac was not working when the car was not moving. SA says that the AC works only when the car is moving.

Is it correct?
Not correct. I have noticed that it takes about 2-3 minutes to start blowing cold air if the AC is turned on when when the car is stationery when set to 25C
coldice4u is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:45   #264

Where did you source the weatherproof box?
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:18   #265

Hello, did anyone get a jack with the vehicle? The owners manual mentions a Jack as Item no. 5 on the first page, but my SA says that TATA does not provide one.
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:22   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivasblue View Post
Hello, did anyone get a jack with the vehicle? The owners manual mentions a Jack as Item no. 5 on the first page, but my SA says that TATA does not provide one.
Hi Chivas

Can you kindly check under the driver seat?
coldice4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 20:44   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Hi Chivas

Can you kindly check under the driver seat?
Bingo! Thanks, any idea where rest of the toolkit (if any) is hidden?
I have found First Aid Kit/Warning Triangle/Charging Cable and Jack now.
chivasblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 21:19   #268

Hi

I am under a dilemma, whether to go for XZ+ or XZ+ Tech Lux? I will get both at introductory price. But XZ+ is already available and I can take delivery right now. XZ+ Tech Lux is uncertain, and I might get it in 7-10 days.

Factors are
1) EV loan in next FY (No income tax benefit).
2) Banks will raise rates starting April

How downgrade is XZ+ from XZ+ Tech Lux in terms of practicality? Is 50k worth it for given features? Current Tiago owners can also share their inputs please.
Old 24th March 2023, 06:49   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I am a Nexon EV (Max) user and have both the 3.3 kW (normal 16 Amps plug) as well as the 7.2 kW. The 3.3 kW worked instantly. The first two instances when I used 7.2 kW
it did not work but after ensuring that the charging gun is correctly connected it started working.

Little off topic but, since you are Tata EV owner, just curious to know. How is the rattling inside the car? I'm a E2O user, since the very first service the rattle in the car is too much. And has become worst over years. Could be due to fibre body of E2O. With very less vibration and engine noise of EVs, small loose part can easily be heard in EVs. Wondering if its same with Tata too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivertriver View Post
How downgrade is XZ+ from XZ+ Tech Lux in terms of practicality? Is 50k worth it for given features? Current Tiago owners can also share their inputs please.
Tech LUX I feel is not worth the money. Dual tone, dont even feel its a feature to even consider.
1. Push button start: Not sure how much of difference will it make to on using key, vs push button.
2. Key less tail gate: This I feel is a feature I would think I miss. Operating with just button gives lot of ease specially if you need to open it often for various reason.

This is my personal opinion.
Old 24th March 2023, 07:22   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
2. Key less tail gate: This I feel is a feature I would think I miss. Operating with just button gives lot of ease specially if you need to open it often for various reason.
Without key less entry, do we always need to insert key in dicky? Is there any control from driver's seat to open the dicky?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks