Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 09:11   #196

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Petrol or EV - you need to decide. The only point I would say is not think too much about the size. You will get used to it quite quickly.
Thanks a lot. This is a very good and much needed advice. I would also like to add that currently installing a charging point at my parking is not possible as I have an external parking and there are no covered parking area available in our society. So, will it be practical to depend solely on public chargers ?
Old 4th March 2023, 11:24   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satypal View Post
Thanks a lot. This is a very good and much needed advice. I would also like to add that currently installing a charging point at my parking is not possible as I have an external parking and there are no covered parking area available in our society. So, will it be practical to depend solely on public chargers ?
Currently Tata mandates slow A/C charging (3.3 or 7.2 kW) once every 3 DC fast charging. Since slow A/C charging takes hours, it is not practical to do with public charging. You need to have slow A/C charging at either your home or office parking, otherwise it will be difficult.

Another option is you can check out Citroën eC3, they claim you can DC fast charge all the time. Though there are concerns about it having air cooled battery and higher price.

Very likely future EVs will allow DC fast charging all the time, only then it would be feasible for people without slow charging options to buy EVs.

Last edited by wocanak : 4th March 2023 at 11:25.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 12:02   #198

Quote:
Hello everyone. I need an advice on the purchase of my first car. I took a test drive of both punch and tiago ev and now I am super confused between both of these. I am a new driver (started learning to drive a few weeks back). Any car that I would buy will be my only car and will be driven by me and my wife. My usage would only be on weekends for most part of the year with maximum drive of about 20 KM's or so and some weekend long drives. Both. Tata punch and tiago ev checks a lot of boxes for me but if I compare tiago ev with punch then there are somethings where punch excels and some where tiago ev excels.

Punch pros-
• Higher ground clearance.
• Larger boot space
• Taller sitting position.
• Comparatively stable cabin over bad roads.

Tiago ev pros-
• Small size. So, parking driving etc. is easier for a new driver like me.
• It is an ev. So, it's lot smoother than a petrol car. Now this can be subjective as my knowledge of cars and driving experience of cars are limited.

• Then there's lower maintenance as well.

From what you write I believe you will be doing at max 150 to 200 kilometers a month. Hence there is no point taking an EV just for the economics/environmental concerns as thats not important for you with this amount of running.

I would say, specifically for you between the 2 of them go for the Tiago EV if:

- you are an enthusiast and likes to drive. The Tiago EV is a much better drivers car than the Punch. In case you are looking for the Punch automatic (AMT) then the difference will be even more pronounced.

Go for the Punch if:
- this is going to be your only car, the Punch gives you a better flexibility to go for longer outstation trips without worrying about the charging stations on the way etc and better boot space

- better seating comfort for driver and passengers

- you will need to check with the dealer or an expert that in case of monthly running of only 150-200 kilometers means you will be charging the battery of the Tiago EV only once or twice a month - could this have a detrimental effect on the battery? My dealer recommended me to charge to 100% atleast once a week and ideally via a slow charger only if possible.

- Assuming that battery costs remain the same over the next years, the resale value of the Punch ICE might be better in case you are going to sell after 5-6 years. Thus due to your low usage you are not gaining from the EV via lower running costs per kilometer + higher depreciation as the battery warranty expiry nears.

In a nutshell based on your running and usage, an ICE car is a better option IMO.
BS777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 12:46   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Currently Tata mandates slow A/C charging (3.3 or 7.2 kW) once every 3 DC fast charging. Since slow A/C charging takes hours, it is not practical to do with public charging. You need to have slow A/C charging at either your home or office parking, otherwise it will be difficult.

Another option is you can check out Citroën eC3, they claim you can DC fast charge all the time. Though there are concerns about it having air cooled battery and higher price.

Very likely future EVs will allow DC fast charging all the time, only then it would be feasible for people without slow charging options to buy EVs.

Ah I see. I didn't knew about this thing. Then it looks like for me right now owning an ev is not an option.
Old 4th March 2023, 16:01   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
In Gujarat we are still waiting for the deliveries to commence!
I am thrilled to share my PDI experience with you all. After waiting for months, I was finally able to see my new Tiago EV at the Tata workshop. The sales team was very helpful throughout the inspection process, and I was able to thoroughly examine the car before taking delivery next week.

During the inspection, they even raised the car up on the platform so that I could inspect the underside, which was very helpful. I was pleased to see that there were no significant scratches or dents on the car. The "Tropical Mist" color looks even more awesome in person than in the pictures. I have attached some pictures of the car for you to see.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-img20230304wa0007.jpg

Tata Tiago Electric Review-img20230304wa0006.jpg

Tata Tiago Electric Review-img20230304wa0000.jpg

One thing that I wanted to ask the community about was the numbers on the sticker in the picture. Can anyone tell me what they mean? This sticker was inside the front bonnet, next to the ECU.

In an earlier post, another member was asking how to know which variant of the car it is. You can see clearly in the pictures that the variant is mentioned on the VIN plate itself.

The odometer reading was only 15 kilometers, and I was delighted to see that the car was brand new. However, the only issue I encountered was with the charging port lid open/close mechanism, which didn't work properly. The executive assured me that it would be corrected before the delivery, so I wasn't too worried about it.

I am very excited about taking delivery of my new car on Tuesday. It's been a long wait, but I know it's going to be worth it. Overall, my pre-delivery inspection experience was fantastic, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's getting a new car.

P.S. : ChatGPT generated the text for this post!
crazydevil is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 19:06   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post

Sorry that is just plain wrong, Tata cars all use LFP battery which can be charged using DC all the time to 100%. My first few charges on my Nexon EV was all on DC. It can happily do it. However, what needs to be is to ensure you take your SOC to below 10% once in a while and charge all the way to 100% to ensure cells are calibrated. You can do an occassional top up to 100% on slow charger.

I don't have that 16A socket that TML puts up at my house, I rely on charging at BESCOM charging station and office's 16A socket.
DarthVeda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 01:44   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Sorry that is just plain wrong, Tata cars all use LFP battery which can be charged using DC all the time to 100%. My first few charges on my Nexon EV was all on DC. It can happily do it. However, what needs to be is to ensure you take your SOC to below 10% once in a while and charge all the way to 100% to ensure cells are calibrated. You can do an occassional top up to 100% on slow charger.

I don't have that 16A socket that TML puts up at my house, I rely on charging at BESCOM charging station and office's 16A socket.
ok I see. But slow charging will take upto 8hrs. isn't it? That's the one thing which is nagging because you see I don't have access to a 16A socket at my parking (which is an external one). So, to slow charge I will have to again rely on some public charger which I think is somewhat nit practical. For fast charging I do have a goego fast charging station at 5kms distance from my home.

By the way when you said "However, what needs to be is to ensure you take your SOC to below 10% once in a while and charge all the way to 100% to ensure cells are calibrated. " did you mean that I will have to slow charge it in this manner once a while ? or can I fast charge it this way .
Old 5th March 2023, 02:17   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS777 View Post
From what you write I believe you will be doing at max 150 to 200 kilometers a month. Hence there is no point taking an EV just for the economics/environmental concerns as thats not important for you with this amount of running.

I would say, specifically for you between the 2 of them go for the Tiago EV if:

- you are an enthusiast and likes to drive. The Tiago EV is a much better drivers car than the Punch. In case you are looking for the Punch automatic (AMT) then the difference will be even more pronounced.

Go for the Punch if:
- this is going to be your only car, the Punch gives you a better flexibility to go for longer outstation trips without worrying about the charging stations on the way etc and better boot space

- better seating comfort for driver and passengers

- you will need to check with the dealer or an expert that in case of monthly running of only 150-200 kilometers means you will be charging the battery of the Tiago EV only once or twice a month - could this have a detrimental effect on the battery? My dealer recommended me to charge to 100% atleast once a week and ideally via a slow charger only if possible.

- Assuming that battery costs remain the same over the next years, the resale value of the Punch ICE might be better in case you are going to sell after 5-6 years. Thus due to your low usage you are not gaining from the EV via lower running costs per kilometer + higher depreciation as the battery warranty expiry nears.

In a nutshell based on your running and usage, an ICE car is a better option IMO.
Hey thanks a lot for the detailed thought. Yes, this would be my only car. Earlier I had no plans for an ev and I had shortlisted Punch and Altroz . The day I got to the dealer, they didn't had any test unit of Altroz so I did a test ride of the punch AMT and then the tiago ev. That's when I felt that the ev's drive experience was much better than the punch.

As this would be the only car for my family of three and we are planning to keep it long term, my choice was split between two things (in addition to the charging related to issues/requirements if I go for an ev)

1. Should I go for better drive experience

or

2. Should I go for better comfort/utility/overall flexibility
Old 5th March 2023, 13:09   #204
BHPian

Quote:

ok I see. But slow charging will take upto 8hrs. isn't it? That's the one thing which is nagging because you see I don't have access to a 16A socket at my parking (which is an external one). So, to slow charge I will have to again rely on some public charger which I think is somewhat nit practical. For fast charging I do have a goego fast charging station at 5kms distance from my home.

By the way when you said "However, what needs to be is to ensure you take your SOC to below 10% once in a while and charge all the way to 100% to ensure cells are calibrated. " did you mean that I will have to slow charge it in this manner once a while ? or can I fast charge it this way .
Fast charge to 90% and then for remaining, do it via 16A socket, you can also do it through Type2 charger also, like at IKEA.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 18:24   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
I am thrilled to share my PDI experience with you all. After waiting for months, I was finally able to see my new Tiago EV at the Tata workshop. The sales team was very helpful throughout the inspection process, and I was able to thoroughly examine the car before taking delivery next week.

During the inspection, they even raised the car up on the platform so that I could inspect the underside, which was very helpful. I was pleased to see that there were no significant scratches or dents on the car. The "Tropical Mist" color looks even more awesome in person than in the pictures. I have attached some pictures of the car for you to see.

Attachment 2425006

Attachment 2425007

Attachment 2425008

One thing that I wanted to ask the community about was the numbers on the sticker in the picture. Can anyone tell me what they mean? This sticker was inside the front bonnet, next to the ECU.

In an earlier post, another member was asking how to know which variant of the car it is. You can see clearly in the pictures that the variant is mentioned on the VIN plate itself.

The odometer reading was only 15 kilometers, and I was delighted to see that the car was brand new. However, the only issue I encountered was with the charging port lid open/close mechanism, which didn't work properly. The executive assured me that it would be corrected before the delivery, so I wasn't too worried about it.

I am very excited about taking delivery of my new car on Tuesday. It's been a long wait, but I know it's going to be worth it. Overall, my pre-delivery inspection experience was fantastic, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's getting a new car.

P.S. : ChatGPT generated the text for this post!
Hi, would you mind sharing when you had booked? Was this the XZ+ Lux or just XZ+? Did you receive an email from TML about the allotment? I'm being told by my SA that will receive direct emails from TML. Any details you can share would be helpful, thanks in advance
Old 5th March 2023, 19:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT_Dwarka View Post
Hi, would you mind sharing when you had booked? Was this the XZ+ Lux or just XZ+? Did you receive an email from TML about the allotment? I'm being told by my SA that will receive direct emails from TML. Any details you can share would be helpful, thanks in advance
Sure buddy. Mine is an XZ+ LR Tech Lux 3.3 kW. My initial booking was for the Nexon EV Max way back in May 2022. When the Tiago EV was announced, i requested the dealership to switch my booking immediately. I did get a confirmation email from Tata that my booking was included in the introductory price group. No further emails from TML after that. All follow-ups were handled by the dealer sales team. Hope this helps!
crazydevil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 07:15   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
All the car's electrical systems (headlights, central locking etc) work on 12V and the exide battery is for that. Even Tesla uses a 12V battery for all its electrical requirement. This battery is also used to switch on the motor when you 'start' the car.
This is exactly my argument with the SE. I already own Tata's Flagship product Safari top end model, and trust me their infotainment system is extremely low standard for the car of that price and you can imagine how it would be with budgetted car.

The SE showed me the items that are included in extended warranty, electrical items, start/stop equipment, suspension etc etc.. If any modification done to wiring all that is void, including the suspension. That was ridiculous. They neither have those as accessories nor do they allow us to have after market. Live with flaws! is the attitude I am not liking.

Another attitude I did not like by SE is, he says only after full payment will the vehicle be dispatched. When will the PDI happen? He says EVs are following this model. I think SE is either faking or Tata has made it as new policy either ways its the attitude that is making me think twice.

I am also long time EV car owner. The M&M E20, driven it for 9 years and it did what it promised when launched but age is showing up and I am looking for his replacement. Tiago EV fits the place well and I should say its more than what E20 has ever offered all these while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aishven View Post
On delivery day odo was on 26kms. First day on hundred percent charge it displayed 170 kms of range. With 10 battery left it covered 157 kms. I was worried. When I charged it to 100% with 3kw charger it displayed 230 kms with 3 level regen. Today I covered 32kms with 22 percent battery usage. Was using AC all times and even stopped for 20 minutes with AC running for an icecream.
170km for 100% on LR edition is extremely low isnt it? Even with 230km. display for 100% is wrong. The range estimates depends on the driving pattern. It should set it to 315 as claimed at every full charge done and change as we drive. If it starts with low then it creates lot of charge anxiety.

Can owners please update their real range for benefit of many like me? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Hello everyone. I need an advice on the purchase of my first car. I took a test drive of both punch and tiago ev and now I am super confused between both of these.
I own a electric car for 9 years. EVs cannot be your first car they are more suitable for city drives. There are lot of issues with station charging yet. Like you already seen some one posted that their car failed to charge at Shell charging stations. Even if the range is like 400+ like the Nexon EV Max or MG ZS EV, you are not free from charge anxiety.

However, all these are valid if you are only city driver and wont ever have need to travel outside city. If you intend to travel outside the city and you are really passionate about owning an electric then buy long range that can take you one destination in full charge(Nexon EV Max etc).

I wouldn't suggest EVs as primary car.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th March 2023 at 10:00. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
abacusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 08:02   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Another attitude I did not like by SE is, he says only after full payment will the vehicle be dispatched. When will the PDI happen? He says EVs are following this model. I think SE is either faking or Tata has made it as new policy either ways its the attitude that is making me think twice.
I believe it might depend on the dealer. I had paid 1.5 lakh, did the PDI and then paid the balance amount of 11 lakh after the PDI.

The response to my request for a PDI before full payment was also accepted corteously, without any arguments or insistence for payment before PDI. It made me believe that giving a PDI to the customer must be a part of routine for them now, with the infamous QC niggles at the Tata factory.
crazydevil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 09:37   #209

Did a test drive of the Tiago EV 3 weeks back. Was very satisfied with its performance. It ticked all my requirements. But then, the focus shifted towards the roll-back concern since it was the hot topic. While it was pretty less with 2 pax onboard, I still felt it was not convincing enough for me to go ahead with the purchase (personal choice). Primary reason being, my wife will be driving the often, and I don't want her to land in any trouble.
So, after quite a few discussions test drove the Nexon Max and fell for it.

3 weeks later, she's home now . Luckily, there was a Nov 2022 manufactured Nexon Max XZ+ Lux variant readily available.

Will be posting my experience in the Nexon Max thread soon.
gsriram.avis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:39   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
This is exactly my argument with the SE. I already own Tata's Flagship product Safari top end model, and trust me their infotainment system is extremely low standard for the car of that price and you can imagine how it would be with budgetted car.

The SE showed me the items that are included in extended warranty, electrical items, start/stop equipment, suspension etc etc.. If any modification done to wiring all that is void, including the suspension. That was ridiculous. They neither have those as accessories nor do they allow us to have after market. Live with flaws! is the attitude I am not liking.

I am also long time EV car owner. The M&M E20, driven it for 9 years and it did what it promised when launched but age is showing up and I am looking for his replacement. Tiago EV fits the place well and I should say its more than what E20 has ever offered all these while.

170km for 100% on LR edition is extremely low isnt it? Even with 230km. display for 100% is wrong. The range estimates depends on the driving pattern. It should set it to 315 as claimed at every full charge done and change as we drive. If it starts with low then it creates lot of charge anxiety.

Can owners please update their real range for benefit of many like me? Thanks in advance.

I own a electric car for 9 years. EVs cannot be your first car they are more suitable for city drives. There are lot of issues with station charging yet. Like you already seen some one posted that their car failed to charge at Shell charging stations. Even if the range is like 400+ like the Nexon EV Max or MG ZS EV, you are not free from charge anxiety.

However, all these are valid if you are only city driver and wont ever have need to travel outside city. If you intend to travel outside the city and you are really passionate about owning an electric then buy long range that can take you one destination in full charge(Nexon EV Max etc).

I wouldn't suggest EVs as primary car.
I am in the same boat. I am planning to buy my first car and this would be the only car, I am a bit hesitant about the real world range. My wife would be the primary driver and from the discussion we had she is a bit worried about finding chargers in case one public charger is not available or working. If owners can share what real range they are getting then it would be very helpful. Also, I can't decide if it's a good idea to have an ev as the only car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks