Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2022, 20:21   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors EV customer database hacked | Scammers on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbotechnixx View Post
Recently, a lot of TATA Nexon EV car owners (including me) started to get calls from scammers pretending to be calling from TATA Motors who have all the details of vehicle ownership asking you to renew or buy their RSA for a meager sum of Rs. 3500.00 for 3 years.
It's not limited to their EV products. I received the exact call regarding my Altroz purchase, as well. Unsurprisingly, they knew the detailed information like colour, model, date of purchase, etc. I suspects incredible laxity on part of the dealerships that such sensitive data is available to scamsters, not more than a month after the purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO28 View Post
This is also happening with the so called reliable brand Toyota.

This is kind of becoming a serious issue, don’t really know from where the data is leaking, is it from the sales or the service?
Yep, and with Hyundai, Mahindra, Kia, MG, and many others, as confirmed in my circles. What's alarming is that the scamsters know about one's other / older cars, too. In the same aforesaid communication chain, they also offered an RSA card for our 14-year-old Hyundai i10 that we just sold off.

India really needs a strong focus on data privacy and protection. Although implementing something akin to the GDPR would be a mammoth task for us, there must at least be strict penalties associated with data breaches that would act as deterrents to the lackadaisical attitude of firms.

Last edited by RoverX : 28th December 2022 at 20:24.
Old 2nd January 2023, 03:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
Yep, and with Hyundai, Mahindra, Kia, MG, and many others, as confirmed in my circles. What's alarming is that the scamsters know about one's other / older cars, too. In the same aforesaid communication chain, they also offered an RSA card for our 14-year-old Hyundai i10 that we just sold off.
Now Toyota joins this list as well.
Old 2nd January 2023, 09:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO28 View Post
This is not only going on with TATA. This is also happening with the so called reliable brand Toyota.
Don't understand the diss towards Toyota here. We don't think of Toyota's as reliable because of their commitment to data security and PII regulations. It's because of their engineering team following the principles of Kaizen, Hansei and Nemawashi (don't remember the others).

In the same vein, TATA has earned its reputation for absymal customer service at the dealer level. Let them make the effort of fixing it.

You are right that this is happening with all the brand these days.
Old 17th January 2023, 18:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Don't understand the diss towards Toyota here. We don't think of Toyota's as reliable because of their commitment to data security and PII regulations. It's because of their engineering team following the principles of Kaizen, Hansei and Nemawashi (don't remember the others).
Don’t get me wrong here. Of course we consider Toyota as reliable when it comes to their vehicles. Please do read my post, when did I ever mention that I consider Toyota as reliable when it comes to their data security or whatever.

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks