Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 15:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla drivers can soon take Zoom calls using the car's infotainment screen

Tesla is said to be partnering up with Zoom to allow drivers to make/attend video calls via the car's infotainment system.

Tesla drivers can soon take Zoom calls using the car's infotainment screen-teslazoom.jpg

According to reports, the Zoom call app will be directly available on Tesla's central touchscreen infotainment system. The software will make use of the in-car camera located on the rearview mirror. Zoom released a demo video as an example of how the application would work, which showed a Tesla owner in a Zoom meeting while the car was charging.

Reports state that initially, the app would integrate with only Tesla vehicles to attend video and audio conferences from their cars without having to use their phones or tablets. While there is no official release date yet, Zoom did mention that the app will debut on "all new Tesla models soon".

Source: Autoblog

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 17:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla drivers can soon take Zoom calls using the car's infotainment screen

I hope it is allowed only when the vehicle is in park mode. Otherwise it will lead to distracted driving inspite of the self driving technology being present. I have seen drivers typing on their laptops and looking for files while driving on highways in the US as they feel that the vehicle would automatically stop as needed.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 01:40   #3
BHPian

There are various ways to start seed testing a product. This probably is a one that is testing three things in a controlled environment. Firstly connected car tech on 5G+ networks, you don't need a phone to get connected car features. This is not the first application to use it, but video requires a consistent QoS data service. Secondly, the app ecosystem that Tesla is trying to build beyond the walled garden from the app store / play store duopoly. This is a growing area. Three beta uses for driverless car experiences. Today you need the hand on the steering, but eyes off the road might not be far. Once you establish user behaviour of in-call meetings, rolling out the self drive with eyes off the road is an increment. Laws, don't fully allow is, but these laws are evolving, and adopting, fast. I would prefer if cars in India offered similar electronics and tech in the real seats of cars. That will itself be such a leap. Probably more useful that the current ADAS tech.
Old 11th November 2022, 01:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I hope it is allowed only when the vehicle is in park mode. Otherwise it will lead to distracted driving inspite of the self driving technology being present. I have seen drivers typing on their laptops and looking for files while driving on highways in the US as they feel that the vehicle would automatically stop as needed.
Probably will disable video but keep the audio going. It makes a lot of sense to do it this way instead of phone + Apple CarPlay/Android Auto which is what happens now.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 02:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quite frankly the Infotainment screen is anyway a Mini-Computer. It should be able to do all tasks seamlessly. The integration I would find most use of would be outlook Calendar+Teams. I am already managing to be productive using Outlook+Teams on phone while driving- Voice typing to reply to messages and take Teams calls. No Video calls.
Zoom is 1 step closer but not the full integration.
Screen sizes are becoming bigger but truth be told, the novelty wears off rather fast. Nobody is staring at full screen maps on a large center display all the time.

Another key area where I find screen under-utilized is with Taxi's. Case in point the Tesla Mode 3 I was riding in earlier this evening. He has a large Taxi-company provided telematics + Booking + navigation device on the dashboard and an additional taxi Fare meter above the already big center screen.

All it needs is for OEM's to open up a channel for 3rd party integrations that could use the already big screen.

Just a thought. Will take a photo of this setup next time I ride a Taxi with a large center display.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 07:38   #6
BHPian

I read the title and was shocked at the huge safety risk, till I read this
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
... which showed a Tesla owner in a Zoom meeting while the car was charging.
I hope this feature is enabled only when the car is in charging mode.
Recently, while travelling on the Expressway at night, I was shocked to see a car with a tab/iPad mounted under the RVM and the pax including the driver were happily watching some movie...while driving. I immediately sped up to pass them towards safety.

The level of human stupidity has ceased to amaze me anymore.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 21:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Well, those Tesla's do have subscription based full self-driving mode, no?
Old 18th November 2022, 12:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
. I will take a photo of this setup next time I ride a Taxi with a large centre display.
This is what I'm talking about. The car is a Volvo S60. Look at the sheer number of displays in the dashboard. What a clutter. It is worse in Tesla's. So much for Tesla's intention to go minimalistic in their design.

Tesla drivers can soon take Zoom calls using the car's infotainment screen-20221116_222016.jpg

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th November 2022 at 15:22. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Old 26th January 2023, 23:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at the sheer number of displays in the dashboard. What a clutter....

More screen clutter. 2022 Mercedes C Class

Tesla drivers can soon take Zoom calls using the car's infotainment screen-20230123_061635.jpg
Old 26th January 2023, 23:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
What a clutter. It is worse in Tesla's. So much for Tesla's intention to go minimalistic in their design.
Not sure what you are referring to about the Tesla. It is the same one screen, on the Tesla. If you dont care for it, dont install/launch the Zoom app. There are games, browser, Netflix, fart sounds and what not on a Tesla - but I never venture into any of these. It changes nothing about the car for me.

People already attend meetings in their car, while driving to work. This integration may make it easier, and there may be people interested in it. Personally, I like in person meetings, I still go to work/lab everyday and meet people. The feature is not for me, but I am sure there are others who appreciate these features of viewing meeting and attending them with a click on the steering wheel - as opposed to entering meeting ID, password and what not on their phone.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 26th January 2023 at 23:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks