Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2022, 16:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)
Re: Tata Motors rolls out 50,000th EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Krishna View Post
Though I'm happy to see the 50,000th TATA EV rolling out, I'm appalled by the lack of interest from general public towards EV cars.
I think that's unfair, 70k+ EVs from Tata plying on Indian roads is an evidence of the faith people have placed on both Tata and the technology. Plus lets not forget there's a 30% purchase price premium when buying an EV. 20k+ bookings of the Tiago EV even though people haven't even seen the car in person. The interest is definitely there.

Tata's EV business currently isn't being held back by lack of demand but the exact opposite, they aren't able to ramp up production to meet increasing demand.

Ofcourse there will be people who are lethargic to adopt new technology and will have excuses at hand, but that isn't a India only phenomenon. Lets not forget the biggest vaccine deniers exist in the West.

Look at all the cheap electric scooters plying on Indian roads, people lower down the purchasing power index are the ones placing trust in the technology despite having to invest their hard earned money in some dodgy scooter brands. Indians are read to accept new technology.

EV adoption in India is being held back by lack of options and supply issues, Tata are the only ones ready and capable of changing this.
shortbread is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 17:23   #17
BHPian

Tata Passenger Electric Mobility Limited
(TPEML) , a subsidiary of Tata Motors Limited (TML) & Ford India Private Limited (FIPL) have decided to proceed towards completion of transaction with regards to the acquisition of FIPL's manufacturing plant situated at Sanand, Gujarat, on 10th January 2023.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors rolls out 50,000th EV-63db092cea814393bc9bfe076c0ca1d5.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 20:53   #18
BHPian

"The Nexon EV is available with two battery options offering up to 437 km of range."

437 kms range. Seriously? It is just 200+ kms and not even 300kms in real life. Btw, what kind of marketing stunt is this? Especially, when we see many complaints with Nexon EVs in the recent times. He is not at all going to drive this car for sure let alone if he wants to drive a car. Tata should focus on improving the mechanical and electrical reliability in their cars rather than these stunts and introducing sticker editions. Yes, I know this is to keep the momentum but more important is to bring the confidence to the customers who pays almost 30 lakhs for Safari's. They lag behind even Mahindra when it comes to reliability and niggles.

Side note, what about Ford plant in Chennai? Tata, why not please acquire that as well as a deal and provide some jobs here in this part of the region as well.

Last edited by sgmuser : 30th December 2022 at 20:54. Reason: typo
Old 30th December 2022, 21:47   #19
BHPian

I hope Tatas can provide a higher level of reliability in both the product as well as the post-sales service. Recently I broached the topic of an EV and my wife ruled out Nexon Max out of hand. She is still scarred by the ownership experience of the Indica that we owned many, many moons ago. I think there may be more folks like us.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 13:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
With the frankly horrendous after sales and horror stories, not gonna touch Nexon EV with a barge pole right now. The EV issues are frankly disconcerting, poor QC and engineering with poor after sales make for a really bad combo. Let them sort those out first and win people's trust. Plus shocking issues like rollback in Tiago. Only Nexon EV Max makes sense for me, but a lot of us don't have the money to shell just to be early adopters, especially with the kind of money
I am one of the 'early adopters'. My Nexon EV has run 25000 km in just over 18 months, and I am loving it. I have owned petrol and diesel cars earlier; in fact, this is my 5th car ownership.

From the time the Hyundai Kona came to India, I knew I wanted a EV next. It's amazing that Tata was able to give us a EV that a middle class, NGO-employed person like me could afford. Unless these technologies reach the mass-market, it will not make an impact - take Hybrid tech for instance.

My EV experience has been good so far. My primary usage is to office and back everyday. But it also involves trips (many of them are day trips) to Chennai, Kanchipuram, Tiruppur, Coimbatore, Vellore, Ambur, Kolar, KGF and Mysore - all of these have been great with the EV. When Tata launched the EV max last year, what I wanted the most from that was Variable Regen and Cruise Control, both of which came in the Prime update, and so I am glad that Tata has not forgotten people like me who trusted Tata.

Charging infrastructure on the highways is improving. I see more and more chargers every time I travel. My wife has travel sickness, and the smooth drive (with low CoG) of the EV has really helped her overcome it and join me on long drives. My elderly parents and my MIL also appreciate the noise-less and smooth drives. I am a music-lover and absolutely enjoy the noise-less cabin where I can hear every note with clarity. All these are not found in most reviews, and these are from real-world usage.

So would I buy a Tata car again? May not be - but that's not because its a EV. I would not buy a Tata car. Period. That is because of their service networks. I feel that Tata should create a seperate brand for their EVs and set up seperate service centres, or create seperate drop off and delivery zones for EVs. Tata service centres are over crowded and their staff have a poor attitude, but this applies to all their cars.

So do I regret buying the Nexon EV? Absolutely not. I love it. Everytime I park the car and walk away, it makes me turn back. I have a grin every time I drive it, even after 18 months. My first paid service cost me Rs.911. My drive-savings have been significant, although I am not going to engage in some comparison with ICE cars. I'm proud to be a early-adopter, and I hope to remain a EV-person for life.

Congratulations Tata - from one of your proud customers.
RogerEphraim is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks