Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2022, 10:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Tiago EV vs other Petrol AT hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I am still against use of the EVs unless one plans to use them only for the first three years. Major reason being the battery is extremely suspect to long term durability. If you think a new Tiago EV will have a realistic range of 150 kms, what range would a 20 K driven 2 year old Tiago EV have ? Just like our phones and many other electronic devices won't the battery decline overtime reducing the range further ? I am sure you are also aware of the battery replacement costs in such situations which would be quite hefty.
Where is this 3 years coming from? There is very little concern about battery for the reasons below:
  • Automotive batteries are not comparable to mobile batteries for multiple reasons:
    • The battery chemistry is different
    • Modern automotive batteries are liquid cooled (some older generations were air cooled) to keep temperatures within limits, not maintaining temperature is a major cause for degradation
    • Automotive batteries have much more sophisticated battery management system (BMS) to manage charging and discharging
  • Manufacturers are providing 8 years/1,60,000 kms warranty.
  • All TATA EVs (and many other EVs in India) use LFP, where 80% degradation required minimum 3000 cycles. Even for Tiago MR assuming 150 km range, this means 4,50,000 kms. They could have easily given more, they just decided to keep what earlier generation battery cars manufacturers were giving (Kona and pre-face lift MG ZS). See graph below.
  • LFP is much safer and more suited to higher climate regions. Its main drawback is lower energy density, which is not a big deal for smaller cars/smaller range batteries.
  • All indications are LFP batteries will outlast the other parts of the car and will get repurposed for other applications before needing to be recycled.
Degradation of Commercial Lithium-Ion Cells as a Function of Chemistry and Cycling Conditions
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...45-7111/abae37
Figure 1, in the above paper.
Tiago EV vs other Petrol AT hatchbacks-lfpnmcnca.jpg

There are also other studies based on real world data of EV capacity reduction, which align with these results.
wocanak is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 18:25   #32

I have few things to say against the general trend of answers here.
1. You have a Diesel Creta that needs to be sold in coming 2-3 years to get a good value out of it.
2. The Tiago EV according to me is the not the right one to start your EV ownership.
I will suggest to right now go with any of the petrol automatics that suits your case and then once the Creta is sold, plan for a real EV. And let's hope till then better choices are available in the EV segment.
Marx1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Only consider the Tiago EV for city use at present. Currently it is very impractical to do a highway drive unless it is a 100 km radius drive and back to your house for charging.

Yes, the EV costs more upfront but if you intend to keep the vehicle for about 10 years, it will really pay for itself with about 1 Re per km rates. Plus, the acceleration in an EV is far more impressive than similarly sized ICE engines if my friends Nexon is anything to go by. And city driving is more about acceleration than anything else.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 23:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I am still against use of the EVs unless one plans to use them only for the first three years. Major reason being the battery is extremely suspect to long term durability. If you think a new Tiago EV will have a realistic range of 150 kms, what range would a 20 K driven 2 year old Tiago EV have ? Just like our phones and many other electronic devices won't the battery decline overtime reducing the range further ? I am sure you are also aware of the battery replacement costs in such situations which would be quite hefty.

Also do note while calculating difference in costs, make sure you also calculate if the differential amount was invested somewhere what returns would you get in 4-5 years time ?(supposed breakeven point of EVs).

My suggestion therefore remains to go for a petrol car. I have a Sonet IMT HTX and found the suspension to be perfect for city and highways alike. The gearshift is pinky finger light and the steering also has good feedback. Do test drive the IMT cars once before you make the decision. Happy shopping!
Am I allowed to While your suggestion for rhe iMT equipped cars is really good, I must say the logic behind the EV battery issue is wrong.
As already explained there is a number of cycles that a battery is designed to take. Also in a car you have a battery bank and not a single battery.
As we charge - especially during slow charging, the BMS system will do what is called as cell balancing. Consider you have 100 bottles of water to fill. At first you use a large hose to just fill them up as quickly as possible to almost full. (90% or thereabouts) Then you turn off the big hose and take a small straw and keep filling each bottle till they go to about 100% - this allows all bottles to be equally filled at the same time.
Cell balancing increases the life of the battery. Most manufacturers recommend a slow charge after every few fast charges ( Tata recommends a 4:1 FC to SC ratio).
If I charge the car daily - for a 3500 cycle battery it will
Take about 10 years for the battery to begin loosing capacity.

Also your insinuation of a 20K run Tiago losing range is not based on reality. In our Tigor owners group we have a few who have crossed 40K kms and surprise! Their range has increased as they get to know how to drive an EV better. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Only consider the Tiago EV for city use at present. Currently it is very impractical to do a highway drive unless it is a 100 km radius drive and back to your house for charging.
Yes, the EV costs more upfront but if you intend to keep the vehicle for about 10 years, it will really pay for itself with about 1 Re per km rates. Plus, the acceleration in an EV is far more impressive than similarly sized ICE engines if my friends Nexon is anything to go by. And city driving is more about acceleration than anything else.
I have taken the Tigor to mumbai and back (same day) from Pune - Viman Nagar to Mira Road, fort and back. Multiple chargers are now available. Some
Tigor owners regularly do 600-700 kms long drives. So for a 150 km range you can actually drive 500-700 kms - with 2 charging halts (snack and
Food breaks). Recently one Tigor user did a Mangalore to Mumbai - Jaipur -
Nagpur - Orissa drive.
torquecurve is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 10:52   #35
BHPian

EVs in India are in the fledgling stage and nobody including the manufacturer knows the kind of issues one is going to face in the future maybe 4 to 5years later regarding the EVs. It is always better to wait for 3 to 4years and then go for EVs because by time we would have some knowledge and feedback about issues or problems one can come across with the vehicles. Also there is no guarantee that the government will not raise the cost of electricity per unit in future if more EVs are on the road. So then we don't know how it will impact the running and maintenance costs of the EVs.
Joeboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 15:21   #36
BHPian

I thank each one of you who replied. I think it would be very useful for me/people in a similar situation to me to decide on the Tiago EV. Overall Out of the 34 responses I see 22 people are in favor of going ahead with the Tiago EV and only 5 negative and some neutral responses are there. I am now waiting for the car in actual and a test drive to decide this.
Thanks once again
RaSing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 16:11   #37
BHPian

I successfully booked a Daytona Grey XZ+ on 10th Oct at around 1pm on the portal. Faced the same issues that others have mentioned while attempting to book.
I got confirmation from Tata Motors confirming the introductory price on the booking. This was after the dealer confirmed the booking on their system with my PAN and Aadhar. The confirmatory email was found in the Gmail spam folder as detailed in a post above.

Use case:
To be used exclusively as a city and office run about. I am unable to put a number on how much will this car run but i expect a number under 1k a month. Our family has grown in recent years and planned for the Tiago to be the second car with increased usage with lower operating costs and greater convenience due to the petite size.
I already have a 7 year old petrol Tata Bolt at 74k. Planning to dispose this car for a 7 seater after it completes 10 years in 3 years.
Also considered the CNG versions but the long queues at CNG stations in Delhi and the inferior NVH of the Tata petrol motor were a concern. Plus the added convenience of an maintenance free automatic drive.
The equivalent CNG XZ plus model is cheaper by approximately 3.75 lakhs than the EV version. Considering a premium of 1lakhs for the automatic drive, I'm paying around 2.5 lakhs more for slightly lower operating months and convenience.

Also for a city run about, everything moves at almost the same pace of 60kmph courtesy the proliferation of speed cameras everywhere in Delhi and Gurgaon.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 12:33   #38
BHPian

I feel like adding my 2cents here as I am debating the same options. I am looking for a sub-11 Lac, small city-runner 2nd car for daily errands, school pickup-drops and work runs. We have a Superb for our family and outstation trips and a Wagon-R which we will replace. Ideally, I want my garage to have a small city runner (under discussion) and a SUV (a replacement for Superb).

I have booked a Tiago EV XZ+ LR Daytona Grey.

Personally, I don't want an entry level hatch like santro, ignis, i10 etc mainly for safety and build quality. I did not like the Baleno/Glanza for their drive, safety and looks.

My 2 category shortlist are: 1) Petrol Automatic Hatch and, 2) sub-10 L EV.

I am considering the i20 CVT Sportz (~10 OTR) and now the Tiago EV (11.5 OTR). As of now I am leaning towards the i20 because of its known quality and facts. The unknowns of a EV and of Tata's entry EV make me a bit wary. Specifically, the range anxiety, charging infra, monsoon issues, service, end value are some factors which are a bit grey for me.

However, I will reserve my decision till I have seen and driven the Tiago and will be following TBHP and other forums for information and facts about EV's.

Hopefully a few other cars will also get launched: The Honda CSUV and the Swift or a new i20.

As of now I don't have any bias against an EV, especially as a 2nd car. I just want to make sure I have as much info and issues around them before I buy them.
VPJ74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post

Personally, I don't want an entry level hatch like santro, ignis, i10 etc mainly for safety and build quality. I did not like the Baleno/Glanza for their drive, safety and looks.

My 2 category shortlist are: 1) Petrol Automatic Hatch and, 2) sub-10 L EV.

I am considering the i20 CVT Sportz (~10 OTR) and now the Tiago EV (11.5 OTR). As of now I am leaning towards the i20 because of its known quality and facts. The unknowns of a EV and of Tata's entry EV make me a bit wary. Specifically, the range anxiety, charging infra, monsoon issues, service, end value are some factors which are a bit grey for me.
I have almost the exact same requirement and booked same Tiago EV. My ICE short list is 2022 Baleno/Glanza manual, since I am not particular about automatic. The new Baleno should score better in safety, Zeta and Alpha come with 6 airbags and as a bonus it offers very good mileage.

Since this is the 3rd EV for Tata, I am not worried about the vehicle and Tiago is a well proven car. Instead I am worried about poor after sales service from Tata dealers. They aren't even responsive while selling, I dread what will happen for service. Another worry is if delivery takes too long, say 6+ months, my current city beater many not last that long. I don't want to buy another ICE, nor do I want to spend more for Tigor/Nexon EV.

It is a shame that there really is no competition to Tata in the sub 20 Lakhs EV market.
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks