Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2022, 15:47   #241
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview

Just an attempt to answer above queries :

1. Tigor & Tiago are what tata motors call Gen-1 electric vehicles essentially ICE later on converted to an Ev and by doing so manufactures can achieve an Ev line up faster as , no new architecture is involved nor they have to build a car from scratch thus Gen-1 vehicles can be in market before dedicated ev architecture is launched therefore you can get first mover advantage along with the crucial data & customer trust as well.

2. No major disadvantages of this approach if we have to net pick rear space management & ground clearance may be an issue.

3. Few have taken this approach successful examples are Hyundai Kona & MG Zs ev they are ICE to Ev converts. Eventually it’s the oem which has to take the call.

Last edited by XRoader_001 : 8th November 2022 at 15:51.
XRoader_001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 17:34   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Maybe this has been answered before:
1) Was the Tiago/Tigor always designed to house a internal combustion engine and batteries + motor?
Tiago and Tigor are based on Tata X-0 legacy platform. Known as the original Indica to you and me It was never designed for an EV powertrain

Quote:
2) What are the disadvantages of this approach - using an existing ICE platform to build an EV?
Packaging inefficiencies when converting existing ICE to EV's.
In a grounds-up, bespoke EV platform, you can have a flat floor,(no fuel tank), make the centre tunnel much thinner, push the door sills(rocker panels) out even further, reduce engine bay size. Result is large occupant packaging space which translates to greater comfort.

Quote:
3) Why aren't more manufacturers able to do this?
You mean Indian OEM's? If that is the case, both have done it. Tata and now Mahindra with their XUV 400 Electric.
Other OEM's operating in India are all offshoots of their foreign counterparts and "Head Offce" would loathe to hand over credit to their regional underlings.

Ideal would have been a NANO EV. Whichever way you look at it, the NANO's packaging, (forget about other things), is simply brilliant. Occupant to Vehicle Footprint ratio, the NANO is still tops.
The rear engine layout liberates huge space and stuffing in a 15-20kWh medium power motor, capable of 150-180 kms on a full charge is no big deal in the existing NANO.
The problem lies elsewhere. The NANO is an outlier. The only rear drive unique platform in TML's fold. Also it will not meet the latest crash regulations. To upgrade the NANO platform to current safety levels will swallow almost an equivalent amount of money, if TML wants to shorten the existing Altroz wheelbase into designing a smaller car and make that an EV.

Last edited by arjab : 8th November 2022 at 17:36.
arjab is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 17:42   #243

Cancelled my Tiago Ev Booking and gonna take the delivery of a Nexon EV Prime.
I was one of the first 10,000 customers who would receive the Tiago EV in the introductory price protection.
There weren't any cancellation charges. Guess the dealer would be keeping the booking as they said they're receiving enough inquiries for Tiago EV.
bharathrb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 10:18   #244
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tiago EV media drives to be held next month

We got our first chance to take a close look at the new Tata Tiago EV in September this year. Stay tuned because Team-BHP will review the most affordable electric car from Tata Motors next month.

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-tiago-ev.jpg

The Tiago EV range starts at Rs 8.49 lakh and is said to offer a range of 250 - 315 km. This has created a lot of interest in the car.

The Tiago EV is based on Tata’s Ziptron high-voltage architecture, much like the Tigor EV and Nexon EV. It uses a permanent magnet synchronous electric motor and comes with a choice of two battery packs: 19.2 kWh and 24 kWh. They can be charged from 10 - 80% in 57 minutes using a DC fast charger.

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-tiago-ev2.jpg

The Tiago EV is decently equipped too. The car comes with automatic projector headlamps, automatic climate control, cruise control, rain-sensing wipers, rear parking camera, multi-mode regen and ZConnect connected car features.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 10th November 2022 at 10:20.
TusharK is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 19:34   #245
BHPian

Horrid Tiago.EV booking experience

I was excited about the Tiago.EV and wanted to ensure that, if i like the car on a test drive, i get the car quick and at the introductory price. To this end, I sat on my computer on the day bookings open; ready to book one as fast as possible. This excitement died very quickly and now i'm stuck with money deducted and no booking. I'll briefly write down my experience here.

Timeline:

10 Oct 12.00pm: I was ready just before 12pm to make this booking. At sharp 12, I open the booking site and nothing really works. I keep trying and hit multiple points of failure (these are well documented by me and others above in this thread).

10 Oct 12.36pm: I finally get through to the payment page, make a payment of ₹ 21,000 and i'm happy thinking that i'll be ahead in the queue and should get my car early.

10 Oct later in the day: I have got a payment confirmation email from RazorPay (their payment gateway | Screenshot below) and my bank and that's it. No other email/SMS from Tata Motors. Eventually, I write an email to customercare@tatamotors.com about my booking in the afternoon. Later that day, Tata Motors releases a statement that they had issues with the booking portal and request affected customers to write an email to the same ID.

11 Oct: I wait for 24 hours and get no response on email and hence tweet to @tatamotorsev.

12 Oct: I get a response on twitter that they will look into it.

14 Oct: Get a call and email from Wasan motors Borivali that tata has forwarded my complaint to them and that they have no booking information. They will look into it. This was in response to my email complaint.

A few days later: Get a call from Wasan Motors Chembur that they have the amount in their bank, but there is no booking information from Tata and hence they request me to share my details to enable them to make a fresh booking. On 27th October i get an email from them stating the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, obviously my hopes of being in front of the queue are dashed. They can't even confirm if I'll be one of the first 10,000 or even 20,000 customers.
I could have just given in and asked them to make a fresh booking, but I felt like a fool wasting my time at 12pm on the first day to make this happen. I would have been better off booking at 2pm and everything would have worked smoothly.
I wanted to ensure that someone higher up in Tata motors takes cognizance of the issues that the most enthusiastic customers are facing. I hoped that maybe they make a special case of such situations.

To this end, i asked the Wasan motors representative to give me in writing the following before i could approve a fresh booking:
  1. Acknowledge that my payment was done on 12th Oct at 12.36pm
  2. Acknowledge that due to a failure on Tata Motors end, they could not generate a booking ID for me.
  3. Acknowledge that i was inconvenienced due to their incompetence and that they cannot do anything about it and hence request me to make a fresh booking which wouldn't be dated 12th October.
I know very well that Wasan cannot issue such a letter without going to Tata Motors and that someone at a decision-making position at Tata Motors will have to sign it off. I want this to happen because many a times the higher ups have no clue what's actually going on at the bottom.

It's been a month and I still haven't got this letter. My money is still lying with Wasan Motors and I have no booking. I'm unsure of what decision i will take on this matter now. Just sharing here for everyone's benefit and hoping that someone takes notice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot of the Payment email from Razorpay
Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-tiago-ev-booking_masked.jpg
jalsa777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:39   #246
Senior - BHPian

Re: Horrid Tiago.EV booking experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
I was excited about the Tiago.EV and wanted to ensure that, if i like the car on a test drive, i get the car quick and at the introductory price. To this end, I sat on my computer on the day bookings open; ready to book one as fast as possible. This excitement died very quickly and now i'm stuck with money deducted and no booking. I'll briefly write down my experience here.
I feel bad about the situation you are in. I do believe that it is within dealer's purview to include you in the first lot, if they want to during the sale although your booking isn't official with tata motors. You have paid them the booking amount and there will be some cancellations which will allow for that. You may want to ask them if this is possible.

Although convenient I do not book cars online because I am wary of such incidents happening during the hype fueled rush, and then for the money to end up in trishanku's heaven, and then having to run from manufacturer to dealer to cc/dc/bank to sort it out. So direct with dealer is my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Tiago EV media drives to be held next month
Test drive Tiago EV's are also supposed to come by next month as informed by the sales executive during booking.

It will be neat if tbhp can do a actual driving range evaluation during the media drive. Or atleast note down the kwh/km (in normal mode) during typical driving conditions inside city and on open roads.

Last edited by Sankar : 14th November 2022 at 11:46.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 12:17   #247
BHPian

Re: Horrid Tiago.EV booking experience

Quote:
It's been a month and I still haven't got this letter. My money is still lying with Wasan Motors and I have no booking. I'm unsure of what decision i will take on this matter now. Just sharing here for everyone's benefit and hoping that someone takes notice.
I am also in the same boat as you are. Got an email from TML at 12.15 PM Oct 10th stating that booking is confirmed. Did not get a follow up email, so visited the dealer on Oct 20th and to my shock, they do not have my booking details from TML. Asked them to check for payment receipt and they confirmed that payment was received by them on Oct 10th, 12.16 PM.

Got back home and wrote an email to customercare@tatamotors.com clearly explaining the fiasco, which they forwarded to the dealer. I do not understand what will the dealer do to resolve the issue when TML itself has not shared the booking details.

I asked the sales advisor at the showroom about the number of bookings and he has confirmed that they had over 200 bookings by Oct 20th. I asked him to go ahead and make another booking on my name as they already received my payment, to which he obliged and made the booking on Oct 22nd. I received a text and an email on Nov 8th that my booking part of introductory pricing. I am now confused if this email is for the online booking I made or the booking made by the dealer. I am more interested in earlier delivery rather than pricing.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th November 2022 at 12:20. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
nish6474 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 23:48   #248
BHPian

The TML booking sales fiasco works both ways. Above we have two stories of online booking which never reached the dealer. Mine is the opposite - dealer booking which hasn't reached TML. I pre-booked on launch day through a dealer. Dealer conformed to me over email and showing screenshots of their booking booking system of my order punched on 10th before 1 pm. However, no email/sms from TML yet. Not even the booking confirmation one, let alone the introductory price one. When emailed customercare, they fwd the complaint to the dealer who is extremely responsive. Right from the sales exec to their GM calls me saying to take back the complaint as they have done what they can, even showing me the booking in their software and assuring me in written that they hold my booking dated 10th. When I try to explain to TML customer care over email or phone that issue is with non conformation from TML not dealer, I get standard response of either to wait a few days ( no end date given) or to talk to the dealer. Extremely poor experience and I've now stopped following up for now with them, accepting that the booking is in limbo.
Jekyl87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 20:08   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Official Statement from Shailesh Chandra, MD, Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles and Tata Passenger Electric Mobility.

“We are overwhelmed with the response to the Tiago.ev at our dealerships and on our website. With thousands of customers rushing to book online at the same time, the website slowed down for a bit and is restored. We regret the inconvenience to our customers. All customer enquiries and bookings related concerns are being suitably addressed. India can now go.ev with Tiago.ev."

Meanwhile I just received the booking confirmation via email from Tata motors in my previous booking receipt it’s correctly mentioned as Daytona Grey but have no idea why they have mentioned my booked Color as TEABLU GLSBK in the email ,same is the case with my colleague as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
Same here, i got 2 mails from Tata. First one was booking confirmation which had the correct color i booked.

2nd was "Congratulations on booking" email which came in an hour later and had the wrong color mentioned on it. Not sure what i messed up.

The dealership guys called, so i asked him to check the color and confirm. He said, i checked yesterday sir, everything was correct. Not sure, what correct he meant but didn't seem like i would be able to persuade him to check now on the phone. So, will check when i next visit the dealership later, no hurry.

He also asked for PAN, aadhaar etc., So i am guessing he is filling up the kyc form or something. So, i am hoping i will get an email again from TATA and will be able to see my booking details.

Anyone knows if there is a way to tracking booking etc somewhere? I think i read somewhere that there is some app and we should be able to track our booking a couple of days after they update kyc.
Alert!!! If you have booked online, please double check you color and variant with the dealer.

So, on 10th oct like i mentioned above, i got 2 mails from Tata.

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-select-1-png.jpg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-select-2-png.png

Do you notice the difference in Color? So, Signature Teal blue is what i booked online and got an immediate confirmation which is the first screenshot.

2 hrs later the 2nd mail arrived and has the wrong color (Dynamic Grey). God knows who and what messed that up. I was hoping its a bulk mail mess up from Tata and they will send correct details in a future email and i can double check.

A few days later, Tata sent an email about the promo pricing eligibilit etc. but never went into specifics of our booking variant/color in any of their communication and i had been planning to avoid interaction with the dealer (to avoid getting frustrated) until test drives etc are available, so i did not reach out to them as well to reconfirm color/Variant.

Since its been a month since booking, About 4-5 days ago i decided to write an email to Tatamotors and ask them to confirm my booking details since i got 2 conflicting emails about the color i booked. No one responded for 4 days, so i sent a reminder yesterday.

They woke up from their slumber and CC'd the dealer. The dealer called in today afternoon and asked what my concern was and why i complained. I had to clarify that i was trying to get by booking details and there is no complaint. She mentioned all emails to Tata are considered a complaint only.

Anyway, explained the problem and she said she will verify and call back in a few minutes. 5 mins later i receive a screenshot on my Whatsapp As i was fearing their CRM had by color selected as dynamic grey while i actually booked Teal blue.

I asked if she can change color without messing my booking priority. She asked me if i got a mail with date mentioned for color change. I did remember i got something, checked and found that color change is allowed until Nov 30. Sent her the screenshot.

She said she will change the color. I asked her to ensure she does not mess up anythign she responded that they can't change anything else even if they wanted to.

She confirmed back with a screenshot of the color change she made a few minutes later. The variant was all correct and FC at the end apparently means Fast charger (7.2KW charger).

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-select-3.png

So much for the online booking drama. I hope they did not mess up 1000's of booking like this and are in soup when several customers who booked online get the wrong color after this long wait. Total stupidity.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2022 at 04:56. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
vj_v3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 12:12   #250
BHPian

Considering that we have so many people complaining of the screwed up online booking system here on team-bhp, I wouldn't be surprised if there are 1000s of people with botched up bookings out there. Tata Motors really ought to do an internal enquiry into this to not repeat such mistakes again.
Old 16th November 2022, 12:28   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Considering that we have so many people complaining of the screwed up online booking system here on team-bhp, I wouldn't be surprised if there are 1000s of people with botched up bookings out there. Tata Motors really ought to do an internal enquiry into this to not repeat such mistakes again.
My guess is Tata wont even realize the mess until 1000's of people complain during delivery that they have been assigned the wrong color.

The only way to tell Tata now is to find some high official and tell him there is a problem. Or, 100's of people write emails to tata complaining about the same problem and hope the customer care executives realize there is something wrong and escalate higher up instead of just forwarding the request to the dealer to deal with the customer.

If all customers just get this corrected at the dealer level directly, Tata won't even know and given dealer reputation, i don't think they will bother to report to Tata. For example: my dealer was like " don't know what went wrong sir, can't trust online booking. thats why just book with us and we will do everything correctly"

i was when she said this because i have heard of so many offline bookings that were messed up with wrong email id's entered by dealer etc.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2022 at 04:57. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 16:06   #252

Not sure about others who booked through dealerships. Last week my SA called me and clarified the booking details and said its for a re-confirmation. Correct me if I'm wrong, online booking should ideally be assigned to some dealership or the other. Who in turn must do similar data check before allotments.
So, this process might well happen at the time of allotments to customers.
Old 16th November 2022, 16:48   #253
BHPian

So, our online payments did go to the dealership directly and i got a call from the dealership and they asked me to send aadhar, pan pics and i did. All this happened within the first hour of booking.

I asked the dealer about my booking and the dealer said "you filled in everything correctly na sir, i don't have to do anything". Both them and i did not anticipate that the color would get messed up, so we did not cross verify obviously. Is this is a lapse on the dealer side is arguable, so i won't blame them.

However, i would blame TATA because, as a customer i filled in everything as per my will. All they had to do was to ensure their software does not screw up the data. I will still give them some slack for their server crashing when 100's of people tried to book in one go, but i will not forgive them for messing up the data.

Different people might have different levels of trust on technology here but, i for one intentionally booked online because i did not want the incompetance of some admin staff at the dealer cause a delay in punching in my booking on their CRM and me losing the fastest finger first battle of getting the car delivered earlier, But what Tata did is disappointing.

To the dealers credit, the person i spoke to yesterday did mention that they should have cross verified all details with me before hand and avoid this situation all together. Hopefully, they will call all customers who booked online for their dealership and cross verify colors now after i have pointed out the issue to them.
Old 17th November 2022, 09:34   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyl87 View Post
Extremely poor experience and I've now stopped following up for now with them, accepting that the booking is in limbo.
While I've stoll not gotten any mail/sms confirmation of booking from TML I did get a call few minutes back from a call center congratulating me on my booking of tiago EV and to ask me some survey questions like my demographics , who and what would be the primary user, where am i located, my daily and monthly avg commute, kind of parking, where should the FC be concentrated, what more features should be added, etc.

The guy seemed to be reading off a form with drop down menus and gave options for all questions. I asked at the end if he had any section where he could add comments/feedback/suggestions and he dtruthfully said he did not. Anyway, at least the call confirmed to me that booking has reached TML, for which I've been writing mails to the customer care for days.
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:21   #255
BHPian

The tigor ev should be getting some (if not all) of the features that the tiago gets in two days as per tata electric's post here. Leatherite seats and cruise control can be seen in this teaser. Pricing of the updated tigor might be interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-capture.jpg  

Last edited by oli.ferns : 22nd November 2022 at 17:22.
oli.ferns is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks