Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2024, 08:25   #316
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV400 EV Review

To add on my first hand experiences of
Tata Nexon EV Prime v/s XUV400 - Expected Range

So both these cars frequently do an early morning Mumbai to Pune run - same driver, different driver, heavy foot, light foot, lots of traffic, little traffic - a lot of variables covered in tens of trips. The destination is Hadapsar in Pune.
The Nexon EV (smaller battery version) is usually at limp mode by the time before it hits Pune station area.
The XUV400 reaches destination with 20%+ juice left.
Distance= 160-170km, but steep ghats.
On a hot day, the prime is absolutely not an option for this trip.

I'm sure the Nexon Max will deliver a slightly better range wrt XUV400. It's efficiency is higher owing to lighter weight and smaller size, no doubt. Also the battery pack is notch bigger. However, the XUV400 will be closer to the Max, not Prime in this regard.

Another significant underrated game changer in the XUV400 is no drop in AC performance till atleast 5% (Don't think we have taken it lower) so actual usable range is much more compared to Tatas, as this ends up being the real range limiter.
sidoxic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 13:35   #317
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster View Post
Also, I have noticed that the fan under the hood switches on and off after a few minutes while the car is in locked condition. This also happens while the car is charging.
This must be because NMC batteries run hotter than LFP and hence they require more cooling.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 00:01   #318

I own a 2024 EL Pro XUV 400 EV Variant. The range I've observed is about 233 odd kms to 236 kms max even though it shows 280 kms on the dash.
I keep meticulous mileage records from Day one.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th May 2024 at 09:39. Reason: Please maintain a polite language while posting. Thank you!
parasparmar is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th May 2024, 00:43   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
This must be because NMC batteries run hotter than LFP and hence they require more cooling.
I am not aware of the rca but yes I drove the the car in the morning say 10am. In the evening around 5pm I went near the car and the fan from the motor was on
Old 5th May 2024, 13:51   #320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasparmar View Post
I own a 2024 EL Pro XUV 400 EV Variant. The range I've observed is about 233 odd kms to 236 kms max even though it shows 280 kms on the dash.
Hello
Can you share your ownership review of this machine as I am very positive about Electric car.
Also pls share for info about the features it offers if possible.
Old 5th May 2024, 17:29   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasparmar View Post
I am on the verge of making a purchase. I would love your updated inputs based on your experience.
Old 5th May 2024, 20:13   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
I am on the verge of making a purchase. I would love your updated inputs based on your experience.
Brother, I won’t suggest the 400 to anyone. You’ll just be a beta tester for Mahindra with a car that will become totally obsolete even within Mahindra’s own ecosystem the day their new gen EVs launch. Long term, this car is destined to go the eVerito and e2O way.

You’ll get a better EV experience with the Punch LR at a lower price. There is also the ZS EV which provides the most mature and well rounded EV powertrain at 20L rupees. Why the 400 when these two exist?
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 20:38   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Brother,
You’ll get a better EV experience with the Punch LR at a lower price. There is also the ZS EV which provides the most mature and well rounded EV powertrain at 20L rupees. Why the 400 when these two exist?
Good points. I was considering the XUV400 due to its wide rear seat and a better rear seat ride. The car will be almost entirely chauffeured - ferrying children to/from school, my wife to/ from office etc. But yes, its a tough choice between this and the lowest trim ZS EV
Old 6th May 2024, 11:55   #324
BHPian

There are several points in favor of the Xuv 400.

The mechanicals and interiors are shared with the 3xo which is a running platform. This is similar to tata nexon and punch with their ICE counterparts.

The mahindra born again platforms in development are larger cars with larger 60 kW and 80kw battery packs. Unlikely to be at price points with the smaller ICE based Tata nexon, punch and mahindra xuv 400.

The battery and service issues plaguing the tata ev platforms have not been reported with mahindra.

The Xuv 400 is a larger, well sorted car with a comfortable rear seating and excellent ride quality due to FDD suspension as compared to other ev cars in the segment. The city driving experience is very good.

The downsides are the missing bits like android auto, apple car play, reversing guidelines, 3d camera, etc compared to the tata ev platform.

For city use @op needs to seriously consider the Xuv 400.
KeepItSimple is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 18:54   #325

I agree with Keepitsimple, let me add my own points, I'll edit this post at home for both Contrapunto and Vishnu_Nellutlas benefit.
Till then I leave you with this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-img_20240320_1644342.jpg  

parasparmar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 16:22   #326

Hey @all,

This is that longer post I was talking of. The XUV 400 is a beast of a car and I'm pleased as punch with it. Although, I'm pretty experienced having driven a wide range of sedans, SUVs and light trucks. My 10+ years love affair with the Honda City came to an end with this Lady Beast.

The points are listed below in no order of importance, of which you very well may know of some already. You got to forgive me for some of the language, but here goes.
  1. Quick on its feet, massive acceleration and performance. And that's the lowest "Fun" level, I dared to open up "Fast" on an empty highway and it gave me the willies at the bottom of my stomach. It felt like a massive airplane when taking off. Bit hard to shake off that speed and control the line and length of the takeoff. Now, to come back, you have to compulsorily progress to the "Fearless" level and that felt insane, trust me I have never seen cars being driven away from you at high speed; come barelling down on you so fast. You have to positively brake so fast and dance light on the pedals. I promise never to do it again. I now equate "Fearless" with insane.
  2. Braking is a bit soft, but I like that. Unlike some cars, it comes to a stop a a dozen or so centimeters after my previous Honda City ZX (Dolphin) used to, sigh!. Now I dont drive so close to the driver in front of me. Let me assure you, I've never hit anyone with this beast but I do drive bumper to bumper with the rider in front. In Mumbai, everyone understands this.
  3. Family is pleased as soft kittens lounging on a nice large, warm, shared basket. They positively purr when we drive an absolutely silent, noiseless, firm and large beast through the nice roads we have in our neighbourhood. And trust me, obtaining this level of appreciation from any family that counts you as its bloodline is extremely bloody difficult. Absolutely spoilt lots they have become. My young one at seven now wants me to take him out for a drive alone. He sits on the Captain's seat on the left and extends his legs on the dashboard. The rest dont move out of the home unless the XUV400 is under their warm backs. You know what I mean. Given, that its a bit bouncy, having a variable but good amount of damping at high speeds on rough roads and a slight bit of understeer on corners coming at you on speed, but hey I do sometimes drive like a race car driver and my experiences are coloured by 10+ years on a very agile, sporty Honda City.
  4. Bright Lights for the night, sedate running lights for the day. Auto dimming rear view mirrors that save me the frustrating hassle of toggling them for drivers who keep flashing at me.
  5. Extremely cheap, dirt jugaad cheap cost of operations. 70 % charge at Rs. 325/- (From 30 to 100%). I charge now at 30% which is a good 88-92 Kms left on the tank, er..odo? Whatever we call that range which is still in reserve.
  6. The range is easily 275-280 if you drive down to Zero % at my estimate, however since I've never gone down below 10%. The one time that I did was an exception, the first day when the dealer had given me the bare minimum to reach home. I will be safe and say 245-250 Kms till you reach 10% and limp mode kicks in.
  7. I keep my records on an app known as Fuelio and you should too. I know everything that is to know about range, cost, time and distance and I credit this Fuelio chap with the mentorship.

Ok, and... here's the rub.
  1. I acknowledge that the range is ultra-short if you travel intra-state. However within the state or the equivalent ranges it is an absolute delight to drive, clean, charge and operate.
  2. The charging is frequent at 3 days after a daily 70 KM ride but the flip side is that it will be at home. No more visits to the Petrol Pump. You are free of that bit of drudgery.
  3. The rear ride is very different, it's quick and can cause motion sickness if someone is on the screen, whether laptop or mobile. Although my younger brother experienced the same symptoms on the Captain's seat after a 3 hour ride through stop and go traffic while he was dealing with some stress from the office on an open laptop and a consistently busy phone. He's never experienced that except on a ride on a giant ferris wheel. Oh! well...
  4. I've had one ocassion when I burnt out a fuse on the 3rd day and had to ask for Mahindra's Roadside assistance. They have a whole truck with a ramp that is used for the purpose and its a joy to watch the care they take to load your car on to it. Oh! its free as well. And that just adds to the joy. The Service Center is an absolute delight and were able to fix this overnight. Courtesy Mahindra Technicians. That was free again.

Boy! I'm going to be spoilt if this is the treatment. I do realize that it may have been exceptional, but still. What treatment!!
And that my folks is an honest opinion on the love affair I fell into.
I'm competely biased now and I've never been happier. So please form your own opinions and make your own decisions.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-xuv400.jpg  

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-fuelio.jpg  

parasparmar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 22:20   #327

The only issue I have been facing with the XUV400 is air conditioner. It just doesn’t offer the work it has been given!

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th May 2024 at 22:57.
Old 24th May 2024, 11:40   #328

Hey Guys, did anyone receive update for apple CarPlay and android auto? My dealer has no idea about it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimalayanDoctor View Post
The only issue I have been facing with the XUV400 is air conditioner. It just doesn’t offer the work it has been given!
It’s working well for me here in Jaipur at 45-46 degrees.. i set it up on 25 and turn off the dual zone.. I didn’t feel it inadequate so far..

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th May 2024 at 12:13. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
Old 30th May 2024, 20:09   #329
BHPian

Fellow Bhpians, I am relocating to Mumbai in July, after having spent 22 years in the UK. Looking to avoid using public transport (local trains and buses) as I doubt I would survive the experience.

Need to get a small SUV that is comfortable enough to ply around and deal with Mumbai traffic but also good for occasional outstation trips. Current thinking is to opt for a sub 4m SUV. Mostly 4 passengers (2 kids) or occasionally 5. Budget around 15L on road in Mumbai.

Have been considering the following options/questions:

1. Would it be wise to go green and get an electric vehcile as our only car? Is that a risk when doing highway runs, interms of charging networks and range anxiety? Have a cousin in Mumbai who uses his Nexon EV for frequent trips to his hometown in Kerala and he absolutely loves it.

2. If going for an EV, considered
  • Tata Punch LR - Looks good but is it too small? Hows the interior quality? What about the ubiquitous Tata ASS issues and bugs?
  • Tata Nexon LR - Right size I feel, great looking, but worried about TATA ASS and niggles/issues. There are loads of these on the forum but mainly for ICE version I think
  • Mahindra XUV400 EL Pro - And finally this. Looks decent, 5 star rated like the above, but interiors feel a bit dated. Smaller boot size compared to the Nexon? Will this be phased out any time soon?

3. Any other EVs on the horizon that I should wait for?

4. If going ICE route, my eyes are on the new XUV 3XO - but worried about niggles in a fresh product. Otherwise AX5 AT or AX5 L AT fits the bill perfectly I think

Yet to take a test drive on these, but would appreciate feedback from the forum. Thanks.
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 21:59   #330
BHPian

All depends on usage pattern.

If daily city driving about 25-30km daily (like me), then I recommend Tata Punch EV. However, if it's for family, then a bigger vehicle is recommended, if occupants are 4 or 5 regularly.
Quaser is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks