Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 13:16   #16
BHPian

re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

How do people living in apartments charge EVs?

And if they still don't have a easy solution, then it would continue to limit the reach of EVs.
rjainv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:25   #17
BHPian

re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post

And if they still don't have a easy solution, then it would continue to limit the reach of EVs.
If the product is good and viable, people will find ways to charge the car, don't understimate the power of Indian jugaad.

I reckon most of the new apartment complexes have the electicity meters in the ground floor/basement and it's a matter of running cables from this point to the parking slot, And then, we also need a charger socket which can be locked out to prevent neighbours misuse.
skumare is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post

Put up chargers in common areas. That's what we did, though our apartment does not have a single EV 4Wheeler yet. It is used by 2Wheelers now.
We went for ElectricPe, but there are several players in the market.
fordday is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:44   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

This is something which many would have been longing for. A small city car, in its electric guise. The size of Tiago is perfect for smaller cities, better than Altroz due to narrow lanes and bylanes. If I look at it as a replacement for my Wagon R, it ticks so many right boxes. My daily running is around 12-15 kms and my Wagon R gives me an average of 7.5-9kmpl in summers and around 9.5-10.5kmpl in winters. My monthly expense on petrol is around 5K. Yes, the traffic is so pathetic. This car can certainly keep my running costs low.

Question is, will I go for it? Definitely, if I'm looking at changing my car. But as of now, will wait.

Thank you TATA.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:58   #20
BHPian

Tata should do Altroz and Tiago both in EV guise. Altroz EV will find crazy takers but Tiago EV can certainly break a glass ceiling in EV sales.

Looking forward. Exciting product to replace my Beat Diesel.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 14:18   #21
abg

This news put me in a predicament. Should I go ahead with my Altroz DCA booking, wait for the Tiago EV or wait even for a soon-to-be Altroz EV?
abg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 14:42   #22

This is going to be a spectacle to watch if Tiago is priced at sub 10L by Tata. What Ambani did for a surge in adoption of mobile phones, can only be emulated by Tata by pricing this vehicle within 10 lacs. I'm sure fence sitters like me will jump into EV adoption, which will spur the market moving towards EVs. What MSIL did with M800 could be repeated by Tata making EV adoption a cult!
mikepapa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 15:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to TATA and very excited to hear this. I hope they have Tiago selling in 2-3 variants as per price and distance range. With Tigor's pricing as reference, this one should be around 10lacs ex showroom.

For lot of people to buy an electric vehicle, we need one close to 5-6 lac mark. Something like a Wuling Mini EV. We dont know how reliable that car is but Tata can really have the first mover advantage if they bring a genuine 2 seater electric car with all bells and whistles required for millennials.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 15:58   #24
BHPian

All the best to Tata for single handedly addressing the mass segment in EV's!

Now, how about a Tata Punch EV! That would be the perfect city-sized SUV + EV
InControl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 17:10   #25
BHPian

Thinking about the battery integration and it's effect on boot space. For reference, the Tiago's boot space is ~240L.
lonetraveller89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 18:11   #26
BHPian

This would be great move IMO!. However, I am not sure if the pricing can be siginificantly low if the range offered is similar to that of Tigor EV or the Nexon EV (the non-Max variant).

Considering that the biggest cost component of EVs is the battery itself, I think there might be a compromise on the range to keep the price significantly lower.

I am eager to see how Tata Motors plays its hand on this one. Interesting times ahead!

In-fact, it would be interesting to see if manufacturers start offering EVs with different ranges (Like Tata has done with the Nexon) catering to the needs of different types of customers (a City variant with 100+ Kms real world range, 200+ km variant for mixed use , 400+ km variant for highway runs etc).

Last edited by naut : 9th September 2022 at 18:12. Reason: updated
naut is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 18:13   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
BTW how many long trips do an average joe usually take in a year??
If car has some limitation (range in this case) then it will force the average joe to reduce his outstation trips. Car should provide a freedom to move anywhere anytime & take full control in your travel decisions rather than posing some restriction.

The average weekends trip these day can range 200-250Kms (or even longer) both ways, so low cost, low range vehicle might pose some deterrence. My case- i go out every week once (these days to witness some excellent waterfalls around western ghats - a separate thread soon), from pune my average travel distances around pune (not too far) are ranging 200 Kms to 300Kms both side + locations are aloof - so no possibilities for charging. I would have never tried these trips with a 250 Kms range EV even if i start at 100% SOC.

Last edited by UD17 : 9th September 2022 at 18:16. Reason: comma addition
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 18:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
If car has some limitation (range in this case) then it will force the average joe to reduce his outstation trips. Car should provide a freedom to move anywhere anytime & take full control in your travel decisions rather than posing some restriction.
. I would have never tried these trips with a 250 Kms range EV even if i start at 100% SOC.
These cars are generally positioned as 2nd car / beater car for primarily city use. They should not be considered primary movers due to their limited range. In fact, even the target audience for such vehicles is a relatively niche but steadily growing population group.

If priced aggressively, the combination of low cost plus high "environmentally conscious" tag value, topped with practically 0 competition, will make this product an almost instant success. I myself would consider it, given above reasons.
kosjam is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 19:48   #29

This is a good step in the direction of affordable EVs if its priced right. However, the sweet spot for me is, if Tata plans to bring Nano EV with around 200-250 kms of real world range. The size of the car is just perfect for city commute. In my opinion, it will be a big hit in India.

I also feel that indian urban class also have an appetite of affortable and small 2 seater EVs as well.
AB737Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 19:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Tata is milking the X0/X1 platform to the max. Now they have three products(Tigor EV, Nexon EV and Tiago EV) from it. Very good move. Price is one of the major factor that is keeping the middle class away from EVs. If Tata can manage to price it between 8-10L on the road and 150KM - 200KM range then it will be runaway hit.
Price is not deterring anyone from buying cars. Cars worth 30L have waiting periods of 10 months+. The EV wait list is quite long for all cars except Kona. The only thing keeping EVs away from consumers is production capacity.
lina is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks