Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 22:17   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Electric vehicles have instant torque. These will be much better to drive than their ICE variants.
Agreed about the drivability part, no doubts there. But even on the higher powered version, the motor delivers almost identical peak torque to the ICE, but develops lower power. Now as power is essentially torque multiplied by RPM, It logically follows that the motor spins at a lower RPM, which other things like the gear ratio etc being equal, should result in a lower top speed. It's a guesstimate that it'll be just above the 100 KMPH mark for the higher powered variant
Old 28th September 2022, 22:31   #182
BANNED

Re: Charging time of 15A vs 3.3Kwh charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
That could be a possible reason. However, if a proper sized wire is used for a 15A plug then it should not be a problem. For example, in my home, we have ensured that 15 Sockets have 4sqmm wire which can carry upto 20A easily.

So, for a 3.3 KWh charger, the proper sized wires(4 sqmm) have to be drawn from the meter. I for one would tap from existing 15A socket for the 3.3 KWh charger since I know that wire is of the required thickness and not from the meter box.
Even if you have 6sq mm wire like in my house. The fact is 16A plug will get really hot at 15A of load. My convection oven pulls 2700w or 12A and after some 20min of use, the appliance wire is luke warm but the plug contact points are hot to touch for 5 seconds or more.

A 15A plug contact points can take 17A too, but if do this the plastic in the plug and the wire sleeve near the plug contact will melt.

If you can make this plug out of ceramic like a fuse carrier you should be able to pull even 32A.

Also most AC chargers use industrial plugs, those plugs have longer contact points, even if they are rated for 16A.
In industrial plugs you get 16A, 32A, 64A etc in single phase and three phase.

These plugs are used in F1 by pratically every team in their pits, for their compressors, tire warmers etc.

Last edited by aim120 : 28th September 2022 at 22:32.
aim120 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 22:38   #183
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Trust me after having owned both tigor and Tiago in petrol form and now the Tigor ev, the performance and smoothness of the EV is far superior to the petrol counterparts. The instant power and jerk free drive makes city driving an absolute breeze and for quick overtakes s mode is more than powerful. All fun gets over by 120 km/h which is it's top speed though.
I do accept the smooth drive part, as far as performance is concerned I do believe it's going to be a downer. In fact I don't understand why they derated the motor so much from what was shown in the Auto expo
Old 28th September 2022, 23:16   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT_Dwarka View Post
Agreed about the drivability part, no doubts there. It's a guesstimate that it'll be just above the 100 KMPH mark for the higher powered variant
It's quintessentially a city car, and Tata probably are going to market it as such, unabashedly (as should have been done for the Nano). Drivability is going to count more than top speeds. And I wouldn't really be comfortable in crossing 100-120 kmph even in a ICE Tiago on Indian highways.
I in fact have always believed that due to ease of driving in city traffic/parking in tight spaces, with a top-notch refined/automatic car-like feel, this is going to be more popular than tigor EV for city owners (who drive alone/with a co-passenger/kid at the most,most of the times-not much stuffed in the boot). Tata may as well charge a slight premium over Tigor EV(with some much-hyped features) and this would still outsell tigor EV. It's time minimalism wins!

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 28th September 2022 at 23:19.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 23:48   #185
BHPian

The pricing is good. The car is targeted for city commutes. The power is low, but people won't mind, since its close to the petrol engine figures. Only after the reviews, we can know for sure.

I hope the skipped spare wheel doesn't become a trend.

Also, like I have already mentioned, I don't believe the hyper style wheels are strong. I saw them without the wheel caps and they looked so weak. I hope the alloy wheels are provided as official accessory.
Old 29th September 2022, 00:01   #186
BHPian

Ok, pricing is aggressive. Base model is ideal for cities like Delhi NCR. It will pull a lot of office goers which use a CNG car. Also, XT (long range) variant seems good value. If long range model can give 250km+ real world range, I will go for it.
Tropical Mist color is looking good.
Attached Images

ramotra3 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 00:30   #187
BHPian

More power to Tata Motors!

IMHO, this is the perfect 2nd car in garage for urban commutes and occasional highway runs. Loaded with the right feature set; with the cool EV tag; and yet light on the pocket. The standard TaMo 8 yr/1.6 lac Km warranty thrown in for added peace of mind.

While the likes of Nexon EV and MG ZV ES are fantastic vehicles in their own right; there are many fence-sitters like me who I think would still have range-anxiety to use them as primary cars. (Also as 2nd cars; they command a significant premium to their ICE counter-part)

This is what would help likes of me take the plunge in EV space.

Also, looking forward to Citroen C3 EV launch; God bless competition!
anurag.somani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 01:19   #188
BHPian

This is the EV to have for all. If I hadn't bought the Nexon EV, definitely Tiago EV would have been my first choice.

The low sticker price plus phenomenal fuel savings it's like a no brainer. I easily save 10rs a km on my Nexon EV compared to an ICE car and this would do even better as the entry cost is so low

Driving just 1000 kms a month, will probably save you 6L in 5 years. The car is as good as free in 7 years. Who's worried about inflation now
sahakar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 01:29   #189
Senior - BHPian

Well damn, now this is a game changer. I have major doubts about the range claims but at this price point, I don't even care as long as it can go over 100kms. This would be a perfect daily beater. Even after my bad experiences with Tata in the past, I am completely down to give this one a chance to replace my i20 as a daily driver. The 8 year battery warranty is just icing on the cake.
Cresterk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 02:52   #190
BHPian

Autocar's video post launch, some more information regarding the future launches:
oli.ferns is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 10:47   #191
BHPian

Appears to be attractive pricing even if its just introductory. Wish Tata will go for the Nano as an EV. Given its great city cred, that will help to make EVs even more common on the roads
clementw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 11:00   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Would have been better had Tata priced it in the 6.5-7.5 ball park. These are merely introductory prices and Tata will in all likelihood increase the prices to ~10L. The wait for an affordable EV continues....sigh!
Was there some sarcasm in this post that I missed? You are asking for a 200+ KM range 4 Star safety tested car with all bells and whistles, to be priced same as the AltoK10 / Celerio OTR prices? I don't understand how that is even possible.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2022 at 16:17. Reason: No need for such a rude or strong post please. Request to continue being polite, calm & respectful, even in debates. Thanks for the support & understanding
Reinhard is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 11:39   #193
Senior - BHPian

Very good launch from Tata. I am really hoping that our charging infra scales up to make it convenient to own an electric car in a city at least. In a 2 car household, it is a no brainer to have a 2nd car which is EV. 10lac price point is in line with what a city hatch would cost.

Offlately in Bangalore I am noticing dedicated charging slots at malls, petrol bunks etc. Adding more locations in apt guest parkings, IT parks is required to make ownership in city practical. Otherwise for apt dwellers with basement parkings, scope to charge EV is very limited.
Old 29th September 2022, 12:04   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Great effort from Tata's, though the headliner is misleading: Rs.8.49 L comes with a smaller 19.2 kWh battery pack and has lesser 250 kms range as compared to the top of the line that costs Rs 11.79L and comes with the 24 kWh battery pack that gives a range of 315 kms.
24 kWh available from the XT trim, which is priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh. 24 kWh = 315 Kms claimed range. Just wanted to point this out.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 12:10   #195
BHPian

Is this understanding correct that the Tiago EV will not have a spare wheel? What is the solution?
Quote:
In Tata parlance, Gen-1 refers to quick conversions of the company’s existing platforms and fitting battery packs as cost effectively as possible. As Chandra puts it, "Our strategy has been to evolve with electrification, so at the start, with the low market size, we have ICE conversions to profitably deliver products at lower volumes." For example, the Tiago EV features a custom split-battery pack nestled in the fuel tank space and boot floor, but leaving no space for the spare tyre.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-motors-425883
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks