Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2022, 20:39   #226
BHPian

Re: BYD Atto 3 electric SUV to be launched this festive season. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 34 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDowntowner View Post
On-road pricing for Pune (Maharashtra) & Goa.
  • I believe VPC is handling charges which I find strange from BYD as I have not seen other manufacturer-partnered dealers charging this.
  • What are these essential kit items that is mandatory when BYD India gives both 3kW & 7.7 kW chargers "complimentary" ?
  • I sincerely believe 3M coating is also up to the customer's choice purely.

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 14th November 2022, 20:57   #227
BHPian

Re: BYD Atto 3 electric SUV to be launched this festive season. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 34 lakh

There wont't be any price corrections on any EV for a considerable future. No one really knows how to price or how to makes sense of an EV. A 1 on 1 comparison with ICE cars is not possible. Even between two cars of similar power and battery size its difficult to take one as the benchmark and compare it with another, since the benchmark itself has not clear basis to mark it so. We can take the most popular/most sold as a benchmark, but that can sway the data very much. The first mover is not essentially the most correctly priced. So, BYD is as good a price as another EV today. The only way to be sure, is to buy one experience it, and then draw inference from real world value. It will take sometime for the market to shape with clear opinions. We need enough options and variations to establish this.
The Q is, would you buy an EV of this size, shape, brand and seating capacity at that price?
man_and_machine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 00:39   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
  • I believe VPC is handling charges which I find strange from BYD as I have not seen other manufacturer-partnered dealers charging this.
  • What are these essential kit items that is mandatory when BYD India gives both 3kW & 7.7 kW chargers "complimentary" ?
  • I sincerely believe 3M coating is also up to the customer's choice purely.

Cheers,
Vijay
I believe the prices are escalated at the particular dealer's end. In Delhi, the price is 33.99 + Insurance (approx. 1 lac) + Registration (7000 approx.) only as informed by my SA/dealership.
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 00:50   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
There wont't be any price corrections on any EV for a considerable future. No one really knows how to price or how to makes sense of an EV. A 1 on 1 comparison with ICE cars is not possible. Even between two cars of similar power and battery size its difficult to take one as the benchmark and compare it with another, since the benchmark itself has not clear basis to mark it so. We can take the most popular/most sold as a benchmark, but that can sway the data very much. The first mover is not essentially the most correctly priced. So, BYD is as good a price as another EV today. The only way to be sure, is to buy one experience it, and then draw inference from real world value. It will take sometime for the market to shape with clear opinions. We need enough options and variations to establish this.
The Q is, would you buy an EV of this size, shape, brand and seating capacity at that price?
Completely agreed with what you have said
Whenever it comes to comparison, I don't feel its fair to compare Atto 3 with Kona or ZS EV. I compare it with Volvo XC40 Recharge. As the latter has very similar dimensions as well interior material quality. Though Volvo is miles ahead in powertrain (errr...electric motor) and have slightly better battery pack but it costs extra as well. Kona and ZS EV are far behind in almost every comparison. Infact it's almost hilarious how people draw comparisons b/w Atto 3 with Tata Nexon. All these car though EVs are in different league altogether.
Turbo Head is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 10:00   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Oh, there absolutely is!
For starters, It's way more spacious; I'm 6'1" and I could sit behind my own front seat with maybe a couple inches to spare. No way I can do that in a ZS EV.

The build quality, fit and finish was noticeably superior - easily comparable to a Skoda Superb.
Good to hear that. Could you please elaborate on the seat compound itself, especially the rear seat? How supportive it was including under thigh support as that is the main weak point of EVs including the mighty EQS.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 10:18   #231
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
ZS EV was always VFM. The Excite variant is almost the same price as a top-end creta.
Just noticed this, the ZS EV Excite is actually extremely VFM. Price comparison-

Nexon EV Max 7.2 KW Fast charger- 21.24L Pune OTR

ZS EV Excite- 23.90L Pune OTR

Byd Atto 3- 35.83L Pune OTR

While the Atto 3 does have many more features and about 15% more range then the ZS EV, it's almost 33% more costly than the ZS. Doesn't really make much sense.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 12:42   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Just noticed this, the ZS EV Excite is actually extremely VFM.
Yup. Last year the ZS excite was even more VFM. i got mine for 21.8L OTR. Creta, Kushaq etc were higher than that.

The Atto3 has a few advantages though. The blade batteries are far superior and much safer. It has V2L, so you can power your farmhouse or even regular your house upto 3kW!

Though incase of major repair or servicing there might be issues as the whole thing is imported. Those issues are there with ZS too inspite Astor being made locally.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 13:04   #233
BHPian

Chinese CKD and this price? Do they really want to promote or kill the product?
wheeledwanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 14:47   #234
BHPian

This one seems dead on arrival. The other chinese brand MG has a lower price, fairly known reliability, good customer marketing backed by decent customer service. Did you notice its cheaper than this rival and has an ICE counterpart too. All of these would work towards generating customer trust on the brand.
But BYD am not sure what their intent is. Maybe they want to position on par with Luxury marquees and this atto 3 is their starting point (after their minivan).
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 15:40   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HentaiDesi View Post
Don't think Atto 3 is terribly overpriced compared to MG. MG EV price in Australia is about 43880 dollars, compared to 48000 for BYD ATTO 3 60KW battery . The MG EV is 44.5 KW battery. The standard edition is similarly priced as MG EV.
Hey! Decided to look further into this:

The right comparison would be the top of the line ZS EV - $49,690 driveaway price vs the Atto 3 Long range - $48,490 driveaway price. The Atto 3 is painfully overpriced here. Even with a bigger battery (60 vs 50), the Atto 3 is cheaper in Australia. So "but it has a larger battery" shouldn't be our argument in favour of BYD.
Are they here to stay and make a mark or do they want to be a niche player like Citroen? Terrible strategy from BYD.

Let's take another example. Thailand:
The 60kWh Atto 3 - 1,199,000 Baht
MG ZS EV Top Variant 50kWh - 1,269,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDowntowner View Post
On-road pricing for Pune (Maharashtra) & Goa.
Wow. Ceramic coating and essential accessories can be thrown right out. I'd buy insurance from outside which will save a solid 50-60k if not more and finally, would like to see the break up of "Registration and VPC". I'm sure there are things that can be knocked off there too. Talk about sticker shock. The ZS EV sales guy offered the top model to me for 28.1 on road and these people want almost 37. Unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Good to hear that. Could you please elaborate on the seat compound itself, especially the rear seat? How supportive it was including under thigh support as that is the main weak point of EVs including the mighty EQS.
Didn't really get to test the seats out properly to be honest, I drove it for a quick 10 minute jaunt during which I was subconsciously more interested in testing out the driving modes, ride and overall feel of the car on the road.

The showroom was pretty crowded. That said, the floor is completely flat since this is a born EV platform, so 3 people in the back won't be much of an issue. Front seats felt slightly snug at first but once I got driving, I liked the feel. I think they'll be great over long distances. Soft seats tend to cause back pain and these weren't too soft.

Last edited by DeKay : 15th November 2022 at 15:42.
DeKay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 16:46   #236
BHPian

Quote:
The Atto 3 is painfully overpriced here.
Not to forget the BYD's SKD vs. ZS EV's CKD / locally built units jacking up the import duties against BYD's favor that could translate to its relatively higher pricing.

Nevertheless, what would be interesting to see is whether BYD would bring down its prices once CKD assemblies begin, which I don't think in all probability would happen as pricing is a one-way uptrend with manufacturers as we see lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post

The Atto3 has a few advantages though. The blade batteries are far superior and much safer. It has V2L, so you can power your farmhouse or even regular your house upto 3kW!
True. Atto 3, however, has significant feature list against ZS EV which convinces me that it sits at least a segment above:

+ Better range
+ Safer battery pack
+ L2 ADAS
+ Better infotainment screen(s)
+ Electric tailgate & passenger seat
+ 24H Dashcam
+ Auto dimming mirrors
+ Heated seats & mirrors

I believe this combination of better built / better features / safer body structure / better overall reliability + the SKD duties made BYD price where it is. While I don't say it is rightly priced, I am somewhat able to justify the gap.

Cheers,
Vijay

Last edited by vvijay : 15th November 2022 at 17:00.
vvijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 19:23   #237
BANNED

Quote:
Let's take another example. Thailand:
The 60kWh Atto 3 - 1,199,000 Baht
MG ZS EV Top Variant 50kWh - 1,269,000
The 12.69L Thai Baht price of MG ZS EV is with Thai subsidy, without subsidy its 14L Baht.
Old 15th November 2022, 19:35   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzworld View Post
I would have booked at 30L which felt like fair price. This seems to a way to milk customers. Same model in Australia is at less than 26L. With 15% tax due to CKD could have been processed under 30L.
Let's see how many of the 1,500 bookings materialize.
And Australia is a very expensive market compared to other western countries including Europe and the Americas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
My prediction on the pricing is spot on.
This will definitely sell in good numbers, provided they more focus on expanding their sales & service network ASAP.

While I agree that this is a new brand, I don't think it can be priced cheaper than this given that Atto 3 is a way better car in terms of everything compared to a ZS EV Exclusive Edition.
Could you spell out in what ways it is better and attribute a premium to each of these features? That way it gets easier to understand why this car deserves to be a good 9 lakhs higher than the ZS EV

The battery is 10 kWh higher. The power is around 25 PS higher and the torque around 30 NM
Even in the batteries department both use the now popular LFP chemistry albeit BYD using their patented blade batteries which are more robust to thermal runaway events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
True. Atto 3, however, has significant feature list against ZS EV which convinces me that it sits at least a segment above:

+ Better range
+ Safer battery pack
+ L2 ADAS
+ Better infotainment screen(s)
+ Electric tailgate & passenger seat
+ 24H Dashcam
+ Auto dimming mirrors
+ Heated seats & mirrors

I believe this combination of better built / better features / safer body structure / better overall reliability + the SKD duties made BYD price where it is. While I don't say it is rightly priced, I am somewhat able to justify the gap.

Cheers,
Vijay
Do you feel this list is worth the extra 9 lakhs? I will also add that the motor power is a good 25 PS higher and the torque produced 30 NM higher than the ZS EV. Still where does the 9 lakhs get consumed? Probably the 110% duty on CBUs. It's a bad strategy. They could have bided their time to build at least an assembly plant and brought costs down. Now they are stuck with a very high price which in all possibility will dissuade many potential buyers.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th November 2022 at 21:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged
niranjanprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 22:47   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
Ooo, not really a competitive price and might scare away a lot of prospective buyers. Including me.

So what are you going to do now that the price is announced?
It was a slight disappointment so have decided to cancel the booking . And go with MG EV or Hyryder or Safari. I know know 3 very different cars but I am pulling my hair out thinking about this. I also had Khusaq in consideration for sometime. What would be your advice?
Old 16th November 2022, 01:02   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen4839 View Post
What would be your advice?
haha I'm no expert at these things, measuring the worthiness of a car and such. I personally feel 34L is a bit steep especially with the final on road price touching 36-37L.

Even I am waiting for that perfect EV as my next car, thought Atto3 would be it but was disappointed.

On another note, I would like to address that there have been lot of false statements and conclusions drawn on this thread by many members without reading on the car first. I would request people to do their research or read the thread in full before making wrong statements.

Some examples below,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledwanderer View Post
Chinese CKD and this price? Do they really want to promote or kill the product?
"Its an SKD, fact check before commenting"

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Still where does the 9 lakhs get consumed? Probably the 110% duty on CBUs.
They could have bided their time to build at least an assembly plant and brought costs down
"Again its an SKD, not a CBU. BYD already has a huge plant in India where they assemble and sell the E6 as well as the Atto3 now"
TheRandomGuy is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks