Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2022, 10:39   #16
BHPian

Re: BYD E6 Electric MPV | Ownership Review

While I was looking for a new EV, my cousin who owns this has suggested that if you want something immediately then BYD is a great option with solid range. I've seen his car, it felt more like MUV and it suited his purpose of regular commute of 100 km and carry stuff between markets and his production facility. For me their smaller product Atto 3 which would be launching soon would be ideal. However, the only things that bothered me to even consider this was the BYD tag. Unlike other well known automotive brands, this doesn't have a proper presence. Even their marketing is not extensive and their service presence is yet to established. For a regular city commute EV, this was too much investment on an unknown brand. Especially, the hot and cold relations with the parent country of this brand, one really doesn't know when things go south and we will be out of luck to get even basic spare parts. If anything the recent events of Covid to Ukraine war have shown is that it is better to stick with brands that have huge local presence.
destinykid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 21:03   #17

Reply : Dear Destinykid your right
1.it's an MPV
2.For 100 km commutes on a daily basis even Nexon EV or EV MaX is good .
3.Atto 3 will be a very good option but will not have the range which E6 has.
4.If BYD tag is very offensive then better not bother with the product . I am no BYD brand ambassador but they locomotives are extremely reliable.

Just a YouTube link which shows a e6 that's done 570,000 kms
5. Now they are the largest manufacturers of evs in the world and are suppling their batteries to Tesla , Toyota etc
6. As of now service yes definitely needs to be improved
7. MG , Volvo are also in similar situation. If relations go bad with China any ev we get will be effected as no part of the world other than USA has battery technology including our local brands like tata and mahindra

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinykid View Post
While I was looking for a new EV, my cousin who owns this has suggested that if you want something immediately then BYD is a great option with solid range. I've seen his car, it felt more like MUV and it suited his purpose of regular commute of 100 km and carry stuff between markets and his production facility. For me their smaller product Atto 3 which would be launching soon would be ideal. However, the only things that bothered me to even consider this was the BYD tag. Unlike other well known automotive brands, this doesn't have a proper presence. Even their marketing is not extensive and their service presence is yet to established. For a regular city commute EV, this was too much investment on an unknown brand. Especially, the hot and cold relations with the parent country of this brand, one really doesn't know when things go south and we will be out of luck to get even basic spare parts. If anything the recent events of Covid to Ukraine war have shown is that it is better to stick with brands that have huge local presence.
drstrange is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 09:29   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrange View Post
4.If BYD tag is very offensive then better not bother with the product . I am no BYD brand ambassador but they locomotives are extremely reliable.
Just a YouTube link which shows a e6 that's done 570,000 kms
Now they are the largest manufacturers of evs in the world and are suppling their batteries to Tesla , Toyota etc
MG , Volvo are also in similar situation. If relations go bad with China any ev we get will be effected as no part of the world other than USA has battery technology including our local brands like tata and mahindra
Well said @drstrange.

All,

My two paisa worth -

- China is the leading maker of EVs and batteries of all shapes and sizes. Sooner or later they will establish a significant presence in India, build here, create jobs here and pay taxes here. Geo-politics will not stop trade though it might occasionally have some effect. Just see the continuing trade between USA and China.

- "Build Your Dreams" kind of tag line/brand name is a very classic Chinese way of naming things. It might seem unusual to some of us only because we are not used to it. Think of names such as 'Three Gorges Dam', 'Great Leap Forward'. Citibank's local name in China is 'Star Spangled Bank'. BMWs local name in China means 'Treasured Horse'. It is just another system of naming.

- That is why I'm keeping an eye on EVs from Volvo to hopefully get the best of both worlds - Europe & China.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 09:54   #19
BHPian

The point many people are missing here is that BYD makes their own chips and batteries!
The car might not have all the bells and whistles but those things are not used much anyway!
One would definitely need a speaker upgrade as there are no speakers at the rear.
40kw AC charging is great. I got an ABB AC charger installed at home as the price difference between the charger offered by BYD and the 22kw ABB charger was minimal. After driving the car for 4000 kilometers I am quite satisfied with the product.
Bimmer_Sage is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 12:41   #20
BHPian

It can give a really good competition to the Innova, seeing as now the reputation of the Innova has gone over their heads, the pricing for the Innova is now in the same ballpark as the Kia Carnival and BYD e6, which are way better. BYD just needs to make a bit more noise now.
twin-turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 11:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reply :
The car doesn't sag under full load
Yes the GC is 170 mm
Congrats drstrange on your brand new set of wheels and very enlightening thread on the E6 for all the fence sitters out there. The above points are reassuring as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Sage View Post
40kw AC charging is great. I got an ABB AC charger installed at home as the price difference between the charger offered by BYD and the 22kw ABB charger was minimal. After driving the car for 4000 kilometers I am quite satisfied with the product.
Congrats Bimmer_Sage on your buy as well, read that in the other thread. One of my good friend is also on the verge of plunging into the EV ownership league and contemplating hard on acquiring an E6.

He would like to know what would be the price of the ABB 22KW AC charger and if 80k with installation is a competitive price which is being offered to him by a vendor. Also why may one choose this one versus the BYD offering.

Thanks!
girishglg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 14:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Congrats drstrange on your brand new set of wheels and very enlightening thread on the E6 for all the fence sitters out there. The above points are reassuring as well.

Congrats Bimmer_Sage on your buy as well, read that in the other thread. One of my good friend is also on the verge of plunging into the EV ownership league and contemplating hard on acquiring an E6.

He would like to know what would be the price of the ABB 22KW AC charger and if 80k with installation is a competitive price which is being offered to him by a vendor. Also why may one choose this one versus the BYD offering.

Thanks!
ABB is a 22 KW AC charger. The ones that BYD is supplying is 7.3 KW charger for roughly the same price. I got mine for around 90k with installation. The price includes RCBO and the enclosure. So 80k with installation is a great price. I am also upgrading the speakers so would give an update about it when done.
Bimmer_Sage is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 22:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reply : Dear Destinykid your right
1.it's an MPV
2.For 100 km commutes on a daily basis even Nexon EV or EV MaX is good .
3.Atto 3 will be a very good option

My friend in Hyderabad had booked the E6 and has a question for you. What is the cost of your Hindustan Electric 22KW charger.

Also has a few questions if you can DM me your co ordinates he will call you directly.

Thanks
Girish
girishglg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 15:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
My friend in Hyderabad had booked the E6 and has a question for you. What is the cost of your Hindustan Electric 22KW charger.
Cost of 22kw Hindustan charger is Rs. 60,000.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th September 2022 at 10:06. Reason: Trimmed quoted post and edited 2nd part of post
drstrange is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 03:10   #25

Thank you drstrange for providing the cost of Hindustan Electric charger. Does it include installation? Was is suggested by the dealer? Can you give me contact

@Bimmer_Sage, you mentioned that ABB 22 KW and BYD 7.3 KW are almost priced the same. The BYD one is offered for 45K right. Also you mentioned earlier that you would be writing your ownership review. Looking forward to that as well eagerly since I purchased mine on the occasion of Ganesh Chathurthi and waiting for TR to be done before driving it. In that post you also mentioned that the dealer offered help install the ABB charging system. Can you please share the pics of the same and the contact details of the dealer?

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th September 2022 at 03:48. Reason: Back to Back posts merged.
ng565 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 11:07   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase and thanks for the excellent review. it has all the information needed to make a purchase decision. I am on the look out for an EV and almost decided on the MG ZS (waiting for excite version launch), but your review got me thinking again.

Had a couple of questions.

Quote:

BYD uses blade batteries, which use lithium iron phosphate chemistry, which is known for its long life and the best part is that the car can be DC charged up to 100% without any significant degradation of the battery life. Lithium iron phosphate batteries have relatively low energy density compared to lithium/nickel-based chemistries, but that is taken care of by restricting the motor power and that instant electric punch and wheel spin. The battery management system has been perfectly calibrated to deliver more miles.
Apart from the higher energy density of NMC, is there any other reason to favor it over the LIFEPO4 battery like, say, in aspects such as fire-risk, range reduction range with temp etc. ? I could look this up on the web but wanted to check with you first as you seem to have extensively researched this topic.

Other question I had was about the AC performance . Did you experience the AC effectiveness during a proper coastal AP summer temperature ?
CCRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 08:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
Had a couple of questions.

Apart from the higher energy density of NMC, is there any other reason to favor it over the LIFEPO4 battery like, say, in aspects such as fire-risk, range reduction range with temp etc. ? I could look this up on the web but wanted to check with you first as you seem to have extensively researched this topic.

Other question I had was about the AC performance . Did you experience the AC effectiveness during a proper coastal AP summer temperature ?
Dear CCRider,

Thank you very much for the trust and appreciation. I will answer your questions in detail
1. There's no reason other than energy density for NMC batteries compared to LIFEPO4.

LIFEPO4 is definitely a superior technology in every other aspect. Recently CATL has announced Lithium iron manganese which enables the lithium battery to have high energy density, good high temperature charge and discharge cycle stability and thermal stability. Where it has all the good qualities of a LIFEPO4 with greater energy density than NMC cells.

2. AC in Byd E6 is very effective it will chill you to the bone even in extremely hot weather. I was initially skeptical about the large cabin and a single blower at the rear but all my found were put to rest. Cooling efficiency is excellent.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th September 2022 at 10:04. Reason: Reformatted for better readability and fixed spacing / punctuation where needed.
drstrange is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 11:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Dear CCRider;5398567
Thankyou very much for the trust and appreciation. I will answer your questions in detail
1. There's no reason other than energy density for NMC batteries compared to LIFEPO4 .
LIFEPO4 is definitely a superior technology in every other aspect ,recently CATL has announced Lithium iron manganese which enables the lithium battery to have high energy density, good high temperature charge and discharge cycle stability and thermal stability. Where it has all the good qualities of a LIFEPO4 with greater energy density than NMC cells .
2. Ac in byd e6 is very effective it will chill you to the bone even in extremely hot weather. I was initially skeptical about the large cabin and a single blower at the rear but all my found were put to rest . Cooling efficiency is excellent
Thanks a lot for providing the response. BYD seems like an exciting dark horse which excels at core EV functionality. I saw a white E6 the other day on the Vijayawada to Hyd highway cruising at 100 kmph. It was pleasant to look at. Would have definitely considered it except my budget limit of 25L and my highway travel does not warrant stretching it any more.
CCRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 20:47   #29

You can then consider Atto 3 as it is being said to launch at Rs. 25L in the standard range
ng565 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 17:35   #30

Just now noticed that BYD E6 is 2nd Generation when I was going over specification brochure. [ATTACH=BYD All New e6 leaflet_20211123(India).pdf]2360745[/ATTACH]

@BimmerSage/@drstrange, Did any of you notice or heard about the All New E6 claim from the dealer or on the byd auto india website? Thought it was 3rd Generation all along.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BYD All New e6 leaflet_20211123(India).pdf (3.70 MB, 480 views)
ng565 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks