Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2024, 09:21   #76
BHPian

re: Hyundai Kona Electric @ 1,60,000 km | Cost of ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhusudhan7 View Post
One of the most basic thing I've learnt in life is 'If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn’t true',
The Kona is running quite a discount now, especially in Bangalore. People have been getting it at almost the figures you mentioned.

The only thing i would ask you to keep in mind about the Kona are:
1.) Low GC & slightly uncomfortable rear bench as mentioned in the review.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...al-review.html (Hyundai Kona : Official Review)
2.) Critical Battery Cooling Flaw for which Hyundai is yet to provide a fix.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...e-support.html
3.) Expected EV's from Competitors and Hyundai itself. They are either here (like MG ZS Executive) or almost round the corner if you can wait. And more importantly the price wars amongst manufacturers have begun.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 14:20   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
The Kona is running quite a discount now, especially in Bangalore. People have been getting it at almost the figures you mentioned.

The only thing i would ask you to keep in mind about the Kona are:
1.) Low GC & slightly uncomfortable rear bench as mentioned in the review.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...al-review.html (Hyundai Kona : Official Review)
2.) Critical Battery Cooling Flaw for which Hyundai is yet to provide a fix.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...e-support.html
3.) Expected EV's from Competitors and Hyundai itself. They are either here (like MG ZS Executive) or almost round the corner if you can wait. And more importantly the price wars amongst manufacturers have begun.
Thank you. Yes, I did refer to these threads as well as others before taking the leap. The indepth reviews helped up us better understand what we are getting ourselves into. It's not a perfect car but the best for our specific use case.
One of the major deciding factor for my family is the Hyundai Service Assurance and the peace of mind the brand offers compared to others. This is especially since my previous car is a Tata Manza
Old 18th February 2024, 14:43   #78
BHPian

Go for Kona ! Driving for more than 1 yr and more than 15000 kms. I would say that it is a good and robust EV. Bargain and get it for about 22-23 L and you won’t regret.
sheelRP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 09:35   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelRP View Post
Avoid water splash with all electrical parts though they are splash proof..better to get it air sprayed..I do it for my Kona.
Do you have any special gear for the air spray? Can you please recommend?
Old 17th March 2024, 10:22   #80
BHPian

Nothing special. Just a normal air blower or sprayer is required for the dust to go away. I don’t think water is required if there not lot of muck inside the hood.
Old 17th March 2024, 10:48   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Rs 1.3 per km is just wonderful. How do you foresee costs related to battery in coming years? Is it still holding in well and what is the cost if one would have to get a new one.
Why? When we buy an ICE car, do we ever fathom the cost of a new engine after the car crosses 200k kilometres? The batteries have a comprehensive warranty that in most circumstances will outlive the actual ownership period.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 20:04   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI7YAK View Post
Sure!

Here's a look at maintenance expenses.

Attachment 2555786

Is the 10000km service interval that you do based on user manual ?.

Hyundai USA has a service interval of every 15000 miles or 24000 KM for Kona EV, they only replace the cabin air filter.

The transmission fluid is inspected and is not even replaced at 35000 miles and brake fluid is changed at 50000 miles.
https://www.mcdonaldhyundai.com/hyun...-littleton-co/

Last edited by DIY410 : 18th March 2024 at 20:06.
Old 22nd March 2024, 08:09   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
Is the 10000km service interval that you do based on user manual ?.

Hyundai USA has a service interval of every 15000 miles or 24000 KM for Kona EV, they only replace the cabin air filter.

The transmission fluid is inspected and is not even replaced at 35000 miles and brake fluid is changed at 50000 miles.
Hi. Yes it is as per service manual. Kona in India for some reason has to go through service every 10k km. They only clean or replace air filter in most services. I don’t think brake fluid has been replaced so far. Transmission oil as per service manual is scheduled to be replaced every 120k km.
Old 17th June 2024, 08:27   #84
BHPian

Greetings to everyone. It has been a while since I've updated this thread, but I do have a reason to do so now. Just reached 1,60,000 mark on my odometer, significant because I have now exhausted my battery warranty.

Hyundai Kona Electric @ 1,60,000 km | Cost of ownership-untitled.jpg

Here are some of the stats for the geeks out here.

Total spent on the car (depreciation not included) is around Rs 4.7 lakh.

Hyundai Kona Electric @ 1,60,000 km | Cost of ownership-kona-dashboard.png

Here are some details of the expenses. Home Charging to Public Charging ratio still remains 9:1. Highest expense being tyres (blame it on 400nm FWD ) Also funny how a same charging provider (Statiq in this case) can have vastly different tariff rates at different locations.

Hyundai Kona Electric @ 1,60,000 km | Cost of ownership-kona-dashboard-2.png

Interesting note, home charging tariff has increased 11.22% CAGR! Solar setup would make a lot of sense here.

Name:  Kona home charging increase.png
Views: 275
Size:  22.3 KB

Had to change a TPMS sensor after a botched tyre change broke one. It costed a whopping Rs 8k.

Hyundai Kona Electric @ 1,60,000 km | Cost of ownership-kona-maintenance.png

My calculations show approximately Rs 11 lakh & Rs 8 lakh savings in fuel alone compared to same mileage in a comparable petrol and diesel car respectively. Do note that maintenance is not included in this.

Name:  Kona vs PetrolDiesel.png
Views: 289
Size:  44.8 KB

All in all, it has been a fabulous ownership experience and there are no plans of letting this car go yet.
ADI7YAK is offline   (112) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 10:09   #85
BHPian

^^This is an excellent compilation, exemplary!!

Looks like you have been maintaining a thorough log for each & every charging session. Expenses have also been very well documented.
Quaser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 19:00   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI7YAK View Post
Greetings to everyone. It has been a while since I've updated this thread, but I do have a reason to do so now. Just reached 1,60,000 mark on my odometer, significant because I have now exhausted my battery warranty.
Excellent data, @ADI7YAK. I had never seen this kind of granular record detailing. Posts like these play a crucial role in EV onboarding for people sitting on the fence.

I wanted to ask about two things.
  1. Do you see range degradation after driving for 160k km?
  2. Is range anxiety still the issue especially on long routes, or is it no longer the case once you get used to the car?
linuxworld is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 18:33   #87
BHPian

Would be very interesting to see a comparison with one of the new Hybrids. Wondering if any of the hybrid owners are logging data like this.
dazdandconfuzd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 20:06   #88
BHPian

Absolutely amazing to see such a long-term review of the Kona, which IMHO is one of the most promising EVs that were offered in the market.

Will be nice to see a breakeven analysis (even if rudimentary) as to how long it would take the recover the actual cost of the car in terms of fuel savings over the years. I am sure given the accelerated jump in the fuel prices over the past few years this break even point would be achieved faster.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 18th June 2024, 20:49   #89

Bewildering to see the car clocking 1.6L kms in under 4 years! Was this also used for any commercial purpose or purely personal?
Old 18th June 2024, 22:14   #90
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric @ 1,60,000 km | Cost of ownership

Congratulations on a fabulous ownership of a very underrated EV. I own one and now closing on 20K after about 15 months of ownership. Wishing you many more miles in Kona.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks