Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2022, 17:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz C-Class EV to debut in 2024; Will rival the BMW i4

Mercedes-Benz is said to be working on an all-electric version of their popular C-Class sedan. The new C-Class EV is expected to make its global debut in 2024, taking on the likes of the Tesla Model 3, BMW i4 and the Polestar 2.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class EV to debut in 2024; Will rival the BMW i4-mercedeseqxx.jpg

The Mercedes-Benz C-Class is one of the few legacy models from the German brand without a direct EV equivalent. The upcoming EV derivative of the C-Class is confirmed to be underpinned by Mercedes' MMA platform. The new architecture will be used on compact cars but has the potential to expand to the midsize segment as well.

Reports also suggest that though the Mercedes EQXX won't directly develop into a production car, it does preview the brand's design for future models - while being most closely related to the C-Class in terms of dimensions. The car also features next-generation battery technology, which is said to have higher power density while being 35 per cent lighter and half the size of that powering the brand's flagship EQS model.

Source: Autocar UK

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 20:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz C-Class EV to debut in 2024; Will rival the BMW i4

The ASS of German Big 3 has a well set business model that is dependent on selling parts at a huge markup and very high-cost service. Wonder how they will survive a move to electrification. I am sure the nightmare has struck them already- does anyone in this forum has insights on what their strategy will be?
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 23:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
The ASS of German Big 3 has a well set business model that is dependent on selling parts at a huge markup and very high-cost service. Wonder how they will survive a move to electrification. I am sure the nightmare has struck them already- does anyone in this forum has insights on what their strategy will be?
One hint that we have gotten with regards to this in recent times is from Mercedes themselves. They will now resort to selling subscriptions for unlocking hardware features already present in the car. Mercedes with EQS did this for 10 degrees rear-wheel steering, and many other cases can be seen across the web.

Yes, but it still doesn't answer how the Service Centres will stay profitable, because they are the ones who make big bucks on overpriced spares and services.

Last edited by umohan98 : 30th May 2022 at 23:04.
umohan98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 08:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post

Yes, but it still doesn't answer how the Service Centres will stay profitable, because they are the ones who make big bucks on overpriced spares and services.
I am empathetic to the service and support providers. They do not make enough margins on the sale of the car itself to maintain the premium facilities that Big 3 customers expect. On top of that, the volumes are low due.

I think the carmakers will do fine in the transition to electrification. The premium brands' service centers will not. The logical choices that I heard in a "talk shop" session was that service center franchisees will

(1) shut down their existing service centers
(2) move to only 1-2 such stations in each large city- far away in the outskirts where rents and other overheads are low(er)
(3) downsize staff of course. EVs have fewer parts that can fail, so needs fewer staff. Also with a a smaller installed base of ICE vehicles, demand for servicing them will progressively fall over time.
(4) price ICE spares - especially anything related to the engine etc which are not needed in EVs even more expensively.

Logically, anyone buying expensive ICE from Big 3 brands would face degrading service experience over time and a progressively lower resale value.

Will this happen "one fine morning" ? No. I speculate this will happen a drip-drip of bad news for employees who work in service centers. Its sad, but it looks inevitable.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 10:11   #5
BHPian

Call me stupid, but the front of this Benz reminds me of the DC Avanti.
Especially, the bonnet line and the headlamps.
Mercedes Benz has/had such beautiful timeless designs and this one surely doesn't make a cut in there.

Name:  avanti.jpeg
Views: 340
Size:  31.1 KB

Image credit : motorauthority.com

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 31st May 2022 at 10:12.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 10:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^ Definitely has DC Avanti vibe. More than anything else though, what it has is very un-german, un-MB look. I am even seeing some Kia EV6 face in there. Shouldn't come as surprise, since none of the EQ series car even remotely look as good as their ICE counterpart.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 12:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Call me stupid, but the front of this Benz reminds me of the DC Avanti.
Especially, the bonnet line and the headlamps.
Mercedes Benz has/had such beautiful timeless designs and this one surely doesn't make a cut in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
^^ Definitely has DC Avanti vibe. More than anything else though, what it has is very un-german, un-MB look. I am even seeing some Kia EV6 face in there. Shouldn't come as surprise, since none of the EQ series car even remotely look as good as their ICE counterpart.
While I respect MB's strategy to differentiate the BEV model's styling and also use the BEV nature to design futuristic vehicles, BMW's current strategy is more endearing. Just look at the i4 and i7. Ofcourse, inefficient design, still.

IMO, the C class EV is looking unMerc like since it doesn't have any grille. Not even ones like the EQS,EQC,EQE has.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed