Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2022, 12:42   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia EV6 Preview | Driven @ Buddh

Short video of the rained out track drive. Listen to the beeps, they start at 100 kph, and you will understand how fast this car moves even when driven sedate. Otherwise it will look slow on such a wide track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Thanks for the review.

Fabulous looking car! Especially in black. It have a slight resemblance to the erstwhile VW Scirocco.
Yes that was the second car that came to my mind also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
If Kia can somehow bring the CKD version in the future, like Hyundai is doing with it’s Ioniq 5, (if the news is true) these cars can become game changers at the price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
This looks better than Hyundai Ioniq 5.
===
Saw the video in Evo, so effortlessly it reached the top speed of 192kmph
I don't think Kia or for that matter other brands plan to sell these as mainstream yet. They are trialing all this and will see the feedbacks, wait for infra upgrades. Then only there is any chance of price wars and competition brewing up.

Will share a video from the track for you Edit done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
This is definitely a polarizing design.

I am on the side that thinks this car is hideously ugly. The worst part is the back end.
Pictures don't do justice at all, in person it is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
The side profile seems to share a lot of similarity to the Cadillac Lyriq, wondering who was was influenced by whom!
That is a good observation and I do agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The design though can be very polarising
===
Wonderful review guys Some more pictures would have added so much to the write up though
This is interesting I felt on the contrary in person, it was stylish and yet not glaring. Yes the rear end is something new to our market but overall very safe design for India. Is what I thought.

As far as picture, we never intended this to be a full fledged review. That is coming and you will get loads more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
70L is an insane amount of money, it can never be an economically wise decision for any Indian to buy such a car. A tiny %age may buy it for the exclusivity/clout.
Definitely not intended as a mass market car, this will sit upwards of 50 L at best and will be a lifestyle positioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
What’s your feedback on the front seat? I sat for a very short duration but found it a tad small, more like a Toyota. Despite many controls, I did not find a thigh support extender.
====
Will I buy one? I am seriously considering adding an EV
=====
And what do you think about resales of EV more so, say an EV6 vs an i4?
I hope you are not comparing it to 70 Lakh plus germans, like I mentioned in the review, then you would not be happy with seats or interiors. But otherwise the seats were a good fit for my 90 kg, 5' 10" self.

EV is the future, for me next car will be only EV. Till that date I will run the GV down to its last drop of petrol lol. BUT... my advice to you, do not buy EV (any EV not just EV6) without a long test ride. It is a different beast compared to any IC cars and it can be a love hate emotion from people.

As far as resale, they will be hard to resell but expect decent price since it is going to be one of those rare aspirational vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kia won't want to sell over 100 cars and I doubt they can.
===
Considering the lack of options between the MG ZS EV and the luxury marques, all 100 allocations of the EV6 will be done for soon.
==
This is simply a "halo" / marketing product to add some more shine to the brand. It's not about sales numbers at all.
Agree but with current economic market and what is happening in funding space, I expect more of middle aged families to be customers than the young start up types.

Yes how this car wil sell is definitely something worth a watch.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th May 2022 at 12:45.
Jaggu is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 13:01   #32
RMN
BHPian

Looks brilliant. Doesn't try to look like a clichéd EV design nor does it look like a regular ICE car!
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 13:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Short video of the rained out track drive. Listen to the beeps, they start at 100 kph, and you will understand how fast this car moves even when driven sedate. Otherwise it will look slow on such a wide track.

Will share a video from the track for you Edit done!
Thanks for the video. The way it picks speed in straights sounds like an aircraft taking off

I am sure you had a blast.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:09   #34
BHPian

A completely futuristic car with a decent range but high price. If the price could be brought down to around 30L to 40L range, with localization, I'm sure this will bring in the much-needed impetus in the EV segment. Once we have EV charging stations, just like our petrol pumps, will the range anxiety die down.
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
We expect it to be priced in the range of Rs. 60 - 75 lakh. This will mean that the car has no challengers in its price bracket, at least till the time the Hyundai Ioniq 5 or Volvo XC40 Recharge are launched. Kia has allotted 100 units for the Indian market for the first year and bookings will open on May 26, 2022.
Talk about timing. Just today BMW seems to have launched the BMW i4 at 69.9L. At that rate, any well-read car buyer will skip the KIA. So EV6 is unlikely to find any buyers, even with 100 units, except for those who will buy it because of FOMO and i4 gets sold out.

I hope KIA stays around 40-50L for this to fly.
sunilch is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car can go real fast! Is there a 185 kmph number flashing in the early part of the video?

Pricing as always, is going to be the key in India. With KIA probably deciding not to utilize the 250-car CBU quota and instead bring in just 100 of them (due to current supply choke), there's no doubt that the EV6 will be lapped up in no time.

This luxury EV is not for first-time EV buyers, this is definitely not for those who want a second EV.
This seems only to be a futuristic, luxury technology-showcase by a brand perceived to be "luxury mass-market" (if such a term exists).

As the other thread of luxury car analysis shows, inspite of adverse foreign exchange rate + input cost inflation + supply constraints, the year gone by was great for the legacy luxury marquees.

KIA, may well try to ride on this wave and cash in with huge margins. If they sell 100 cars quickly enough, who knows, they might bring in another lot soon. In Mar'22, per Autocar India, KIA sold ~8000 EV6s globally.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 15:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
This has now replaced my dream of a BMW 3 series. The muscle car looks and performance that can smoke even supercars. If it comes in 60-70L, it will confuse many entry-level luxury marquee buyers. After all, you don't want to spend so much money and then get bullied by a Kia in a traffic signal race.
Sorry, how will the EV6 bully the entry level germans in anyway mate? Did I get this right

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
This is definitely a polarizing design.
I am on the side that thinks this car is hideously ugly.
One of the best looking cars that will grace the roads I feel

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th May 2022 at 15:47. Reason: back to back posts; Capitalising text where needed.
Vidzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 17:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Talk about timing. Just today BMW seems to have launched the BMW i4 at 69.9L. At that rate, any well-read car buyer will skip the KIA. So EV6 is unlikely to find any buyers, even with 100 units, except for those who will buy it because of FOMO and i4 gets sold out.

Well, I am not sure about that. 100 units will get sold in a day or two max. Most probably, Kia would announce the price on the 2nd and also mention that they have sold out for 2022.

Between EV6 and i4, the Kia beats BMW big time on features and unfortunately, BMW i4 is not a Born Electric platform. There are a lot of carryovers from the 4 series that's a burden for electric efficiency. The huge hump on the rear seat for i4 also makes it a 4 seater. For those who are super brand-conscious BMW might appeal, but EV6 seems an equally attractive proposition.

I am in the EV Market to upgrade from my 20k ODO Nexon EV and now that we may not see Tesla anytime soon, I am seriously looking at both EV6 and i4.
BlackRaven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 19:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Talk about timing. Just today BMW seems to have launched the BMW i4 at 69.9L. At that rate, any well-read car buyer will skip the KIA.
70L+ for Kia vs 70L+ for BMW...personally is a no brainer. Something tells me the i4 will also ride/drive way better than the EV6.
Hard to swallow pill really, besides the BMW is rated at up to 590 kms on single charge vs 528km for Kia.

However I feel it will be sold out quickly just for the novelty factor and those super quirky looks.

Last edited by amol4184 : 26th May 2022 at 19:36.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 21:05   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Talk about timing. Just today BMW seems to have launched the BMW i4 at 69.9L.
===
Yes! This was a total googly and if you look at current BMW prices, is a steal. And yes even I would also plonk Kia at a much lower price bracket if I am buying it. But hard reality is internationally it is priced much higher, so slim chance it would be sold at lesser price here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
The car can go real fast! Is there a 185 kmph number flashing in the early part of the video?
Yes since it is inside a closed race track it was posted here, and this car will goto those speeds within seconds without you realising it on a track like Budh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
The huge hump on the rear seat for i4 also makes it a 4 seater. For those who are super brand-conscious BMW might appeal, but EV6 seems an equally attractive proposition
Bingo, brand value that is a boon and a bane when it comes to Indian market especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
70L+ for Kia vs 70L+ for BMW...personally is a no brainer. Something tells me the i4 will also ride/drive way better than the EV6.
Hope BMW sends an invite and I can grab it for the drive (kidding)

This is going to be a tough decision though, since EV6 is quite rounded on its own. BMW space and ride may not be as good as the EV6 is my hunch. But let us wait for feedbacks.

Like the way whole EV segment is gaining momentum in India and hope people like me atleast get to buy one used in couple of years.
Jaggu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 00:14   #41
BHPian

No matter how cool and feature rich BOAT smart watch is, I would still buy an Apple Watch even if it is 50% more expensive.
While I agree Kia would easily sell 100 units and also build on its brand image with his halo product, but if the intention is to compete with the likes of BMW / Volvo etc in a long term, will be very difficult to pull it off even for Kia
Jangra is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 00:37   #42
BHPian

I was keen on booking EV6. However, there is a 50K cancellation charge. This is an atrocious amount, even when the pricing has not been disclosed.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia EV6 Preview | Driven @ Buddh-screenshot-20220527-12.29.12-am.png  

raghavv is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Resale

Hard to comment on this. These are niche products released in limited numbers at prices not palatable to everyone.
One way to look at this: the combination of these factors means there should at least be some demand for this in the used market as well given that units coming up for resale will be limited and the depreciated price at which these could hit the market might be more palatable to a slighter wider group set.

The counter argument is that the market is deepening and more offerings will come across a broader price range. If that is the case, buyers might have many more new car options as the market deepens and expensive initial offerings like an i4 would have to compete with a new offering like Kia EV6. Heck, even a 2 year old Kia EV6 may have to compete with a brand new Ioniq that might be meaningfully cheaper and substantially similar.

I think it’ll depend on product by product but this here sounds like the more real threat to expensive new EVs purchased in 2022/ 23.
I’m guessing that from a resale perspective it’s a bad time to buy a new car in general. Would a petrol car bought today find many takers in 2027-2030? By then the new car market will likely be dominated by EVs. Europe and China will be over 50% EV before 2025 for sure. India will lag by a few years at best. The EV6 on the other hand is a bespoke EV with super fast charging. I don’t think it will be obsolete in a hurry, and you could own it proudly into the 2030s

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th May 2022 at 10:38. Reason: Very minor typo
Vikram9193 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
No matter how cool and feature rich BOAT smart watch is, I would still buy an Apple Watch even if it is 50% more expensive.
While I agree Kia would easily sell 100 units and also build on its brand image with his halo product, but if the intention is to compete with the likes of BMW / Volvo etc in a long term, will be very difficult to pull it off even for Kia
I think this is more of a Samsung smart watch. Both are made in Korea, both are feature and tech laden and well built.

If you want a Boat watch for comparison might i suggest you look at the Nexon EV instead.
venom_op is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 11:06   #45
BHPian

The Kia EV6 had come to the Pune Baner Showroom so thought I would check it out. I have pictures but sadly the quality is not that great due to the lighting. The car was only displayed so no test drives were available.

First impressions were positive when I saw the car from the outside, the car appeared small yet large don't ask me why.

The design for me is a mixed bag, I don't like the front at all it looks plain weird to me. The rear though is a different story with the sloping roofline(more on this later) and the intricate tail lamps which give the EV6 a s*xy rear.

Stepping into the inside, while these door handles may be aerodynamic I never liked them since I first experienced them on an F-Type. Doors closing made a satisfying thud rather than a tinny sound which I experience on my Eon.

On the inside the first thing you notice is obviously the large dual screen and the interior space which is not much height wise, the steering wheel design I don't care for much but found it a size or two small.
Sat in the rear and I hated it, I am 6'3 and my knees were almost coming up to my chest and the headroom was non existent even after reclining the back seat, it was actually the same story in the front with the panoramic sunroof taking all that headroom space. Knee room was not an issue, but it didn't feel comfortable at all.

Asked the salesman on how the reception to the car has been and the expected on road price, he told me they have already received 28 bookings since morning and car will be priced between 70-80 lakhs which seems a bit high. Target audience certainly seems to be the rich with their Camrys, 7 series and the likes visiting the showroom.

Overall a decent option, but the pricing seems to be greedy.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks