Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2022, 02:11   #361

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

People who have received their Nexon EV Max, how has the experience in regards to true range (city, highway, mixed) in different modes been.
Also how has the experience with regards to regen levels been?
Any great difference in regards to range.
Also is it advised to keep regen level at 3 if there is a highway drive?
What should be the optimistic highway range that we should plan around with.
Kindly advise.
Old 23rd July 2022, 10:12   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogues View Post
Congratulations on getting the car. What accessories did you get and their prices, if you don't mind my asking?

Looking forward to the detailed thread.
Thank you! The rubber mats and mudguards were given free of charge (~ Rs 1700 value).

Window sun shade / curtains - Rs 2950
3D Trunk Mat - Rs 3433
7D Mats - Rs 6700

There didn't give any discounts for the accessories, considering they didn't over charge me for anything else and I got insurance on my own, I didn't push much for any discounts.

The 7D mats aren't installed yet, it was out of stock, will be going today to get it installed. I did ask whether it's an EV specific variant of the 7D mats, they said no, but assured me it would fit fine.
varkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 11:55   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
I have booked nexon ev max 7.2 top end which is now 21 lakhs plus on road in karnataka. After the initial excitement i have some doubts
Difference of 5.5 lakhs between the petrol nexon top end and ev max top end
The battery pack of nexon ev max costs 6 lakhs
If I save 6 lakhs on fuel and servicing over 8 years and then I have to pay 6 lakhs for a new battery pack what's the advantage of a ev over a comparable petrol powerd model
If you buy petrol nexon top end and put the difference amount of 5.5 lakhs in bank fd after 8 years it will be almost 9 lakhs
After 8 years If I want to sell the nexon ev and it's in need of a new battery pack costing 6 lakhs will there be any buyers or just scrap value for the car
Guys who have done some research and purchased ev max can you please clarify my doubts
First of all 8 years and 1.25 lakh kilometers doesn't mean that after attaining any of those milestones you will have to replace the entire battery pack. It is expected that there will be some efficiency loss for cells in battery pack and due to this degradation, the range might get reduced.
This depends purely on how an individual is taking care of the car and handling the charging. Too many DC fast charging cycles can deteriorate the battery much faster. similarly too much sports mode and too many G force accelerations from stop will deteriorate the battery faster. In all probability, treating an EV like any other ICE car and giving it the respect of a car deserves, I would feel that we can expect atleast 70% efficiency for the battery pack even after 8 years. Then probably chipping in a lakh or 2 for replacing on some of the most deteriorated cells, we can get back upto 95% efficiency.
Also as the technology is evolving fast in this space and after 8 years may be the cost might come down for the entire battery pack from 7 to 8 lakhs to around 5 lakhs.
So I would not be worried too much about this for the time being. Even with 70% efficiency I can still use this car as my primary for city drives and get a new one after may be 10 years for highway drives.
My usage is close to 1K kms per month and the Nexon EV max is the only car at home. I could see myself using this for next 10 to 12 years for sure.
rkmunjuluri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 11:58   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
The 7D mats aren't installed yet, it was out of stock, will be going today to get it installed. I did ask whether it's an EV specific variant of the 7D mats, they said no, but assured me it would fit fine.
Please share some pictures of the 7D mats fitting once they are installed. Mine are also pending and they are pushing me to get the regular ones fixed, but I denied and still waiting for EV psecific 7D mats from almost a month now.
rkmunjuluri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 17:12   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmunjuluri View Post
I would feel that we can expect atleast 70% efficiency for the battery pack even after 8 years.
I was reading about a Renault Zoe user 97% battery after 7.8 years, Zoe has an air cooled battery unlike liquid cooled battery in Nexon EV.

Quote:
Zoe Q210 22kWh update.
7 years, 8 months old, 110,000km.
22.8kWh available. 97% SoH.
Losing about 2% every 5 years.
https://twitter.com/CillDar/status/1...iwEyZpcHQ&s=19

Last edited by SKC-auto : 23rd July 2022 at 17:16.
SKC-auto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 18:19   #366

Quote:
I have booked nexon ev max 7.2 top end which is now 21 lakhs plus on road in karnataka. After the initial excitement i have some doubts
If I save 6 lakhs on fuel and servicing over 8 years and then I have to pay 6 lakhs for a new battery pack what's the advantage of a ev over a comparable petrol powerd model
If you buy petrol nexon top end and put the difference amount of 5.5 lakhs in bank fd after 8 years it will be almost 9 lakhs
After 8 years If I want to sell the nexon ev and it's in need of a new battery pack costing 6 lakhs will there be any buyers or just scrap value for the car
Guys who have done some research and purchased ev max can you please clarify my doubts
Since most car manufacturers are looking to cut down production of ICE vehicles over the next 10-20yrs, I am doubtful if ICE vehicles will actually have any resale value 10-15yrs down the line. The govt scrappage policy is not going to be in favour of ICE cars as well.

Intially when I was looking to buy my next car, I was playing devil's advocate and made exactly similar arguments. But then I realized that life of the battery depends on the total number of charge/discharge cycles and the charging condityions. Most people's smartphones work even after 3yrs with some reduction in talktime. However this is after almost charging the phone 4-7 times a week.
The real-life stats on the nissan leaf should be considered as a worst case scenario for EV cars (as they don't have active liquid cooling) unlike the Nexon EV/EV Max.

Let's do some math. At a mileage of 12.5kms/l in city for the Nexon Petrol, and a minimum average petrol price of ₹125/l over the next 10yrs, you would end up consuming 12800l of petrol. That would cost you ₹16,00,000 for fuel alone.

Now for an EV, assuming a mileage of 200km (average mileage for the EV max over it's battery lifetime of 160000km), that would be 800 charge/discharge cycles. Even assuming the charge is to it's full capacity (since I would expect Wh/km to not change significantly even after capacity reduces), and considering 10% wastage 800(no. of charge/discharge cycles)*44(1.1*40kwH aka units)*12(average domestic electricity cost over the next 10yrs in ₹), this would cost you ₹4,22,400 for electricity alone. The price diffference is over ₹11L. You could tweak the numbers here and there and you would still have a price difference of around 9L.

Now I have taken a conservative pricing for petrol even though I would expect the average petrol price in the next 10yrs to be around ₹150/L. Pure ICE cars are not an alternative to EVs and instead would be a step down. I would only consider full-hybrid cars (none of this mild-hybrid nonsense) as real alternatives to EVs. If we consider full-hybrid cars, we could consider a mileage of 25km/l, and this would reduce the cost of fuel by half. But then we aren't actually saving significantly since the cost of the lowest full hybrid as of today (expected price of the full hybrid Toyota UC Hyryder) is not significantly less than that of an EV.

EV may not be suitable for everyone right now, but for most people with a daily travel of less than 200km, I think it is a good option.
anandjm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 07:19   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Please share some pictures of the 7D mats fitting once they are installed. Mine are also pending and they are pushing me to get the regular ones fixed, but I denied and still waiting for EV psecific 7D mats from almost a month now.
I went for the 3D mats and was told even they won’t fit the Max. They fit fine at all other seats but the hump near drivers seat makes that mat stay at a resided position. Intact I was told by the accessories head of my showroom the max specific mat will take at least a month more and I should take a refund. Have mailed for the same and they said they will issue it in 7 days. Know a accessory guy in Karol Bagh who makes Custom size mats on order and will be going to him once I get the refund.
prateekchanana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 09:17   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekchanana View Post
I went for the 3D mats and was told even they won’t fit the Max. They fit fine at all other seats but the hump near drivers seat makes that mat stay at a resided position. Intact I was told by the accessories head of my showroom the max specific mat will take at least a month more and I should take a refund. Have mailed for the same and they said they will issue it in 7 days. Know a accessory guy in Karol Bagh who makes Custom size mats on order and will be going to him once I get the refund.
I will wait eagerly for what you get for your max from the Karol bagh guy. I am sure tata will not be coming out with the 7D mats specific to max anytime soon and he may be our hope as well. Keep us posted with pics and updates.
Old 24th July 2022, 10:45   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai47 View Post
People who have received their Nexon EV Max, how has the experience in regards to true range (city, highway, mixed) in different modes been.
Also how has the experience with regards to regen levels been?
Any great difference in regards to range.
Also is it advised to keep regen level at 3 if there is a highway drive?
What should be the optimistic highway range that we should plan around with.
Kindly advise.
It's been a month since I got my Max & the experience has been wonderful. The car is an absolute joy to ride even in the city mode though ECO mode is also sufficient. Regen (even at level 3) adds around 10-15% of extra battery. And is mostly useful in city drives.

If you are driving in rush hour bumper-to-bumper traffic level 3 is fine. I found level 1 gives me a better wh/km because Level 1 is very light and to stop the vehicle without using brakes manually I have to anticipate the vehicle stops better. Thus, unnecessary accelerating goes out of my driving behavior that perhaps is giving me better wh/km (presently I am observing if better wh/km is more beneficial or the same as adding 5-10% of regen[lvl 1])

Regen level 3 gives better range & to keep it on at highways is a personal preference. I keep level 1 at highways because level 3 seems too restrictive when you just want to coast around occasional traffic en-route.

I am getting a range between 300-320 consistently in city drive with AC on (single passenger, Econ+Eco mode, wh/km<135). I haven't been on long highway drives but occasional highway sprints have yielded wh/km <120 (with cruise control, single passenger with AC Econ on) So I guess it's safe to assume it should give me 320+ range on highways. But range at all times depends on various factors (vehicle load, type of route(normal or ghats), the density of traffic, time of day(temperature), and finally your mood(joy ride or hypermiling) so, i would advise planning your ride after understanding how the vehicle responds to your current driving habits and accordingly some minor modifications in the driving habits will introduce you to the expected range from your car.

After a month of driving, I have understood the basics of the car, range & behavior. Now, I have stopped worrying about the range just enjoying the ride in city mode because I am now confident if need be I can extract a better range out of it in the city as well as on highways.
Sak8 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 13:21   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I went for the 3D mats and was told even they won’t fit the Max. They fit fine at all other seats but the hump near drivers seat makes that mat stay at a resided position. Intact I was told by the accessories head of my showroom the max specific mat will take at least a month more and I should take a refund.
Quote:
I will wait eagerly for what you get for your max from the Karol bagh guy. I am sure tata will not be coming out with the 7D mats specific to max anytime soon and he may be our hope as well. Keep us posted with pics and updates.
I went to get the 7D mats installed yesterday and it is exactly as you all mentioned, in the rear its not a proper fit near the middle hump area, also under the driver seat area. Even before installing I asked the Tata accessories guy, are you sure it would fit, cause I heard from other owners that the regular 7D mats does not fit correctly on the Max, and he repeatedly assured me that it would fit and went ahead with the installation.
In the front it did fit alright (although I felt the guy didn't do it nicely), now when it came to rear seats, none of the cut outs are properly aligned and it gives a very shabby look. Especially the hump area, it's simply not a correct fit. I've attached few pics and a short video, I hope it shows the issue.

Now after installation, I think the accessories guy realised that there is a problem, but then he kept saying this is cause the mats are brand new, it will take a day or two to loosen and fit properly. I made it very clear that I am not satisfied with this and this is despite me asking multiple times and citing potential issues from other owners. He asked me to keep it for two days and see if it improves, if not bring it back and will give a refund. I don't think anything would improve, so I will go tomorrow, return it and get a refund.

Now the hunt for a proper fitting mat, please do post here if you find a good one.

Video -
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_0554.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_0555.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_0556.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_0557.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_0558.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_0559.jpg  

varkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 16:09   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Now the hunt for a proper fitting mat, please do post here if you find a good one.
This is even worse than waiting. I am happy the accessories guy at showroom pointed out before installation that they won't fit. He even showed me the differences between EV and EV Max during delivery when I was not satisfied with just his word of mouth.

Got a call from showroom yesterday confirming that they have received my email for refund and the same will be processed in a week. Have to send someone to pick the cheque though. Will probably go to the accessory shop tonight or Tuesday. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 26th July 2022, 16:54   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Now after installation, I think the accessories guy realised that there is a problem, but then he kept saying this is cause the mats are brand new, it will take a day or two to loosen and fit properly. I made it very clear that I am not satisfied with this and this is despite me asking multiple times and citing potential issues from other owners. He asked me to keep it for two days and see if it improves, if not bring it back and will give a refund. I don't think anything would improve, so I will go tomorrow, return it and get a refund.
Had gone to the showroom yesterday to return the 7D mats and they wasted a lot of my time, trying to convince me how it is a proper fit and it is not really due to the change in dimensions of the rear floor area in the Max. They even said its an installation issue and offered to take the vehicle to a different location where they have a more experienced installer. I then asked them to try installing the 7D mats on another Max available at the other location and if it fits fine then I will get the vehicle wherever they want. They asked for 10 minutes initially, and finally after 45 min or so, the local accessories guy relented saying even their experienced installer couldn't get it to fit and the only way they could get a proper fit was to put some thermocol/foam under the middle hump area to raise it to match the regular Nexon. He was then ready to take the mats back and told the bill would be cancelled and a refund would be initiated in 2-3 days, which I was fine with.

Quote:
Will probably go to the accessory shop tonight or Tuesday. Will keep you guys posted.
Were you able to make any progress in the mat search?
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 21:05   #373
BHPian

Quote:

Were you able to make any progress in the mat search?
I visited the guy Sunday evening itself and he tried to fit the normal EV mats even though me saying even before start “They won’t fit”. They took some 15 mins and kept trying to push the 7D mats in every corner so that they look properly fit but at the end, the hump between the front seats was not proper leading to the whole mates being improper on rear. They were raised near the front drivers seat hump as well and not a perfect fit.

Finally they told me they can ask the company guy to come and take measurements tomorrow. My office is literally a 2 minutes walk from the auto parts market in Karol Bagh so wasn’t an issue with me. But I honestly didn’t like the 7D mats. Had ordered them for A4 and finally shifted to the original company rubber mats. Here again I didn’t like the 7D mats which they could made to order. Asked about 3D / Rubber ones and they refused can’t customise them. So for now using the universal mats I had spare and will wait whenever company or anyone else launches 3D mats specific to max. If you guys want and are interested in 7D mats, can share contact details of the person.
Old 27th July 2022, 15:28   #374
BHPian

Tata Nexon EV MAX - Spaceship on Wheels

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220724_171541.jpg

Hi Bhpians,

This is my experience in buying and owning the Max. It's going to be slightly long so please bear with me.

Purchase Decision
-
I owned Grand i10 Asta petrol for 3 years and hadn't thought about changing it. However the decision changed when I took my recently service vehicle to my hometown Coorg for a week for a family function and then came to know the pain of petrol cars in ghat sections.

So basically what happened is that, I put 12k worth of petrol to drive 1000kms. Yes I agree the car was always full and the road although smooth and beautiful I could never go above 4th gear even which I could hardly reach.

And then it happened that every time we used to plan for a trip, the petrol topic used to come up and we used to plan shorter trips. Yes money was not the problem, but somehow we used to feel that paying 90% of the trip budget to Petrol was not worth it.

Then I finally made the decision to book Nexon EV after convincing the home Minister. I was also very impressed of the power and the smoothness of the vehicle and range was not a big concern as Bangalore to Hassan highway which I usually take to travel home has good charging infrastructure.

Booking Experience-

I booked the Nexom EV Dark edition in Kropex Electronic City on November 2021 and sold my i10 on Decmeber 2021 as I was promised January delivery. However in December news started emerging of a longer nexon variant with Cruise Control (which I felt was a big miss in the existing EV)

So I asked the showroom to wait till Tata releases the new variant which was supposed to be on Feb 2022. However the dates got pushed and pushed and pushed till May and got my booking changed to Max 7.2kw on the same day so my name was on top of the list. However I was very disappointed that Dark edition.

PDI and delivery-

Got the delivery of my car on 17th July but completed the PDI on 11th July to ensure they correct everything. There was only 1 small issue where the cloth was seen outside in the center console, otherwise the car was in great condition.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220712_113423.jpg

I also got the insurance before registration from Acko for almost half the rate the showroom was quoting, but they gladly agreed to let me get the insurance on my own.

The deliver was smooth and the delivery executive gave a handy list of Dos and Donts and after the cake cutting and key exchange we were let off.
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220717_103820.jpg

Initial Drive from Showroom to Home:

I had pre-planned that the Car is going to PPF and hence my only drive for the week is going to be from Showroom to Home and since PPF detailer was nearby, I didn't have to drive much.

From Electronic City to Mysore road, I took the NICE road and I felt used to the car just after 5 mins, the car was that comfortable to drive. I didn't feel jittery or nervous and also had no issues in overtaking in City mode. I averaged at around 174 wh/km and although I felt it was high, I knew I could always improve after I get used to the car.

Work done to car post delivery

PPF:
I did lot of research and pros and cons of PPF and also reached out to multiple detailers for quotations and to get clarity on the need of PPF. I felt for the Intensi Teal the PPF is mandatory as it's almost Black and even a slight wipe will result in swirl marks just like the Dark edition.

Rakshith(+91 78290 12344) from Autorush Car Care Studio near Kengeri, Mysore Road was very responsive and reached out to me constantly and gave some free advice on how to check paint quality during PDI and what and what not to do post delivery for maintaining the Car. Since he was enthusiastic and gave me a good quote(not the cheapest) but the best combination of PPF and pricing, I decided to get the car PPF coated there. He used Stek and gave 5 year Warranty compared to the Chinese brands promoted by many vendors. Got the wheel and glass coating for free too which was an added bonus.
I did get slight peel off which is common on sharp contours, but he corrected it for free by bringing in the technicians. Also he is very knowledgeable on any questions related to PPF and gives an honest opinion on things.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220721_174119.jpg
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220721_174042.jpg

Floor Mat-
Got water proof velcro floor mat that was custom stitched to EV and the installation was pretty smooth. There are 3 wires on passenger seat and 2 on drivers seat and easily removable. I felt this was really necessary from my past experiences.
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220727_110611.jpg

Dashcam-
Have bought DDPAI mini dashcam and installed it myself and plugged to cigarette lighter socket. I didn't go for 24 hour monitoring as it needs Internal wiring connection or a power bank.

Driving Experience
:

After I got the car from Detailing, planned a short trip from Bangalore to Mysore to see if the Tata's claim of Bangalore-Mysore round trip in 1 single charge is true.

Started my journey with 93% SOC as I got home late previous day and the car usually takes 13 hours to charge at 3.3kw. Since it was around 7, the traffic was moderate. I observed that car was constantly giving an average of 134kw/km, however there was open stretch and when I switched to Cruise control at 100km, the car was actually doing 120Wh/km. Again I had set AC at 24 degrees and also outside temperature was around 27 degrees. I was constantly driving in the range of 70-100 kms, but most of the time car was doing 80s. Also I was light on the pedal when accelerating from braking, but when I needed to overtake, I used to pedal to the metal. So to sum up, I didn't do any hypermilling and was going as fast I can at that point of time and was keeping up or passing all the ICE cars except some you know mine is bigger kind of people.

Went to Mysore Zoo, since I had to introduce my son to his relatives and then my charge was at 49% and was showing a range of 156km of which I needed 130km.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220724_135240.jpg

However Mall of Mysore had Zeon 50kw fast charger and thought I will charge my car there since my wife wanted to visit Chamundi Hills around additional 20 kms to and fro. There were 2 cars in front of me, 1 faced network issue and the charge didn't start, the other was Prime EV and he wanted to charge fully from 18% and his charging was getting dropped constantly as there was mobile network issue. Finally after an hour he finished his charging.

Thankfully I had the Zeon RFID card with me and the charging was effortless. I had no issues at all. I suggest anyone living in South India, if you plan to charge, please do order Zeon Smart card and you will thank me later. One thing I observed is that the Car charged constantly at 30kwh and supporting the claims that Car is limited to 30kwh, but good news is that it never dropped its charging rate. It was consistent till the end of charge at 85%. Hopefully Tata gives a response soon on the same.
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220724_153629.jpg

After charging, visited Chamundi hills, while travelling uphill charge utilized was 9% from 85 to 76% and while coming back I got 1% back. After this I started my journey back home in 1 single stretch.

While coming back, the traffic was very high which is usually the case on this Road. This started eating my battery a log but I felt keeping the regen at 3 helped in bumper to bumper traffic inside major towns. Car actually shows notification to rest after continuous driving which is good.
Finally ended my journey with 27% SOC and 65km range left.
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220724_220213.jpg

Impressions:
Bangalore to Mysore in 1 charge is totally possible provided with any kind of driving.
Car does better at speeds of 100km if you can use Cruise Control
All the additional features like Auto IRVM, Ventilated seats, wireless charging, 4 disc brakes, Multi Mode Regen are very useful and well thought out.
Vehicle has very good seating and even my father in law who is 6ft had no problem sitting at the back. Shoulder gaps also is very good. I feel reviewers are spoilt with the cars above this budget and hence are nitpicking.
Brakes- Damn are they overkill. Stops on a dime which was useful in couple of occasions.
Autohold is heaven send and works flawlessly. We need to make sure vehicle is completely on stop before auto hold kicks in.
Acceleration- Coming to my first line, it's really a space ship. Only an EV can compete with this in overtaking. That too in City mode and never had to test in Sports mode.
Comfort- because of no vibrations,we feel more relaxed and people are all impressed by the ride quality, comes to its own at high speeds.
Steering - very light on low speeds, but hardening feels too much above 100km. But not that hard that it removes the driving pleasure.
Handling - gives you confidence to push the car more even in corners and can take turns at high speed due to good weight distribution and low center if gravity.
Software- again being a Spaceship, everything is electronic. All systems are connected and there are couple of glitches here and there. I got Auxiliary battery charge issue warning, limited drive mode warning at separate instances but went away after restarting the car. Never experienced any issue with the drive though. Also, brake light seems to be on even if I switch off the car, but if I restart and switch off again, they go away. All minor and doesn't affect the experience in any manner.
AC- Good performance and I feel ECON mode is well designed and helps in getting more range out of the car.
Gear knob - have got used to it now and I feel it's faster than manual gear changes.

Overall, the Car is amazing and everyone who looks at it fall in love with it. I have not once thought about ICE cars after driving my EV and never had to second guess my purchase Decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220723_203344.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 30th July 2022 at 05:10. Reason: Typos
shamanths3 is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 18:37   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You're absolutely right in your calculations, however you've missed computing the interest cost, and the depreciation. If one actually computes the TCO of both variants, the petrol one wins. But I guess its a matter of time before the Premium on EV's comes down or ICE is eliminated by new regulations.
Lalvaz is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks