Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2024, 09:28   #991
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post

If you want an AC fast charger(7.2 KW) as shown in image below, it is an extra cost of Rs. 50,000. Dealer can portray it as Model saying the car is Empowered Plus LR + Fast Charger and include the price of charger in it.
The 7kw fast charger comes standard with the LR variants of Nexon.EV. You don’t have to pay anything additional for it. This is one of the reasons why the LR Nexon makes more sense over MR. It is a 50k paid extra on the Punch EV LR.

It’s a different matter that 50k for these 7kw AC Type2 chargers is obscene overpricing. You can get the same from reputed brands like ABB or Delta for half the price.

The AC fast charger being silently removed from standard equipment is a bummer. ZS EV’s supplied 16amp charger works at 2kw (Nexon’s works at 3kw). Charging a 50kwh battery using the 3pin 16amp plug means a charging time of 25hours!! People need to be aware of this fineprint.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th February 2024 at 09:36.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 10:23   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The 7kw fast charger comes standard with the LR variants of Nexon.EV. You don’t have to pay anything additional for it. This is one of the reasons why the LR Nexon makes more sense over MR. It is a 50k paid extra on the Punch EV LR.
My miss I didn't realize that 7.2 KW charger is now included for all Nexon LR models which according to me is not right. Example - I don't see a need of 7.2 KW charger if i can charge my car overnight at home. Also, there are too many 7.2 KW chargers available in market at lower price point.

Returning back to MG ZS charger, the need of a 7.2 KW charger is more because the EVSE provided with the car is slow as compared to Nexon. But still one can get an after market good quality 7.2 KW charger at much lower price.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:03   #993
BHPian

Quote:
You can get the same from reputed brands like ABB or Delta for half the price.
Do you have a source or any leads to a dealer for these? I have seen ABB from Zeon but that costs 66,300/-. I never got any response to my emails to Exicom (perhaps they only do B2B).

As Shreyans mentioned, the 3.3kW is useless for cars with larger batteries. It is good enough for a Comet or Tiago LR/Punch MR with a smaller battery. You can get the car charged under 12 hours. But I also know lot of Nexon EV Max users who sold-off their fast chargers (perhaps they always keep the car plugged-in; not sure if that is good for longevity of the battery).

Also found this in the brochure; So the Executive variant only gets the slower portable charger:
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-mg_brochure.jpg

Last edited by thomahawk : 6th February 2024 at 11:11.
Old 6th February 2024, 11:14   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
Do you have a source or any leads to a dealer for these? I have seen ABB from Zeon but that costs 66,300/-. I never got any response to my emails to Exicom (perhaps they only do B2B).

As Shreyans mentioned, the 3.3kW is useless for cars with larger batteries. It is good enough for a Comet or Tiago LR/Punch MR with a smaller battery. You can get the car charged under 12 hours. But I also know lot of Nexon EV Max users who sold-off their fast chargers (perhaps they always keep the car plugged-in; not sure if that is good for longevity of the battery).
7kw AC charging is not fast charging. It is proper slow charging and will also trigger cell balancing as and when required. Does not affect longevity of the battery in any way. I don’t see why any Nexon Max/LR owner will sell off the 7kw charger, as charging the 40kw battery with the supplied 3kw 3pin wall plug on a regular basis is highly impractical and inconvenient.

Whatever it is for the Nexon Max/LR, it is going to be significantly worse for the ZS. Battery is 10kw bigger, while the 16amp charger is of a third less output.

As for aftermarket type 2 chargers, this is a standard industrial plug. Pls check up with people dealing in industrial automation, panels and drives.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th February 2024 at 11:17.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:34   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have a source or any leads to a dealer for these?
Attachment 2569832
I got a after market charger from a company called ZEVPOINT for my Tiago EV. It is a Chinese imported and white labelled product from them. Still, it works well as intended. Cost is also just half the price of the OEMs. Highly recommend.

It is available on Amazon and their own website. I got it directly from them as they gave a better price.

Last edited by neethi_raj : 6th February 2024 at 12:35. Reason: Added a missing information.
neethi_raj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 16:30   #996
BHPian

It's highly recommended NOT to use "after market" untested chargers for EVs. Stick with the one (usually slow/ 3 KW AC charger) provided by the OEM OR take your vehicle to the authorised EV charging station. Also preferably don't keep the vehicle for charging after long drives in high ambient temp condition.

With above you avoid potential (1) Medium-Long term damage to the battery (2) Over charging leading to electrical short circuiting (3) Imbalance in cell chemistry that might cause thermal over runs.

Charger cable has electrical chord along with a communication channel that continues to have conversation with vehicle battery BMS (Battery mangement system). Both the electricity and communication channel are extremely vital.

"EV - Battery - Charger" is a sacred combination and better to stick with the Rule book here !!

You will never fill petrol/diesel in your ICE vehicle from the petrol pump which has no Brand. The same principle should be for the charger as well.
007maverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 17:02   #997
BANNED

There is nothing in the charger that warrants a high price. The only expensive thing in that wall box charger is the cable, charge gun due to the copper wire and plastic outer shell case for the charger makes up for the rest of the price. The internal electronics inside are nothing but a RCB or ELCB, relay and a pilot signal circuit. The AC main voltage is not altered in any way shape or wave length form. These AC charger wall box is a big profit making area for the sellers.

The actual Onboard charger AC to DC is located inside the car, the wall box unit and portable unit only sends a pilot signal, so that the On-board charger can work with 2kw or all the way upto its max of 7kw limit. The bases for the pilot signal is whether the wall box is plugged to a 16A socket or a 32A socket, assuming that the wires in the wall are also capable of it. The charger will not know what wire thickness is used in the wall or from the meter to the plug point.
Other purpose for the pilot signal is to allow the On-board charger in the car to accept the AC mains only if there is no earth leakage, high voltage, short circuit all of these are just taken care by PCB version of ELCB/RCB, voltage cut off and a 32A rated relay.

So there is nothing wrong in getting after market charger as long as the cable and charge gun is of good quality.

Last edited by aim120 : 6th February 2024 at 17:04.
aim120 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 20:36   #998
BHPian

There's no need to be worried about the aftermarket 7.2 kW chargers. Please understand that for people who live in multistoreyed towers (talking about mumbai), its not possible to get individual clearance for installing a 7.2kW chargers. Most of these societies/companies have collaborated with adani/tata power to provide fast AC charging in the societies and all the cars use them.

Also, while fast charging during highway trips, we use chargers from different vendors. So this doesn't mean that the car's batteries are going to be affected.

Just make sure that you get the charger installed by a reputed vendor, instead of a local jugaad that will blow off the electricity 🤣

Also, aim120 has very well explained about the functioning of fast AC chargers above, so that should not leave any doubts.
AlphaKiloPapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 12:56   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrp4mail View Post
Feeling Cheated! I took my ZS EV Excite delivery only on 31st January and to wake up to this news of a 3Lakh INR price cut. The dealership frankly pressured me to book the car in 3 days saying they had information from the factory that there was an impending price hike. Can anything be done on this? I understand it is a case of sour grapes but can any compensation be claimed from MG for the same?
I got the top-end in mid December and at the time, the dealer said the same crap about a price hike from Jan and Road Tax being imposed in Karnataka.

I did manage to negotiate hard and get a freebie which as of this latest pricing, I'd be at a ~34k loss. Still feels bad but I guess this is expected considering the EV prices going down.

What did Jimny owners get, we'll have the same faith if this is escalated. However, I know most of us will not drag this and even if we did, this will highly unlikely yield anything.

These car purchases have become stock market shares, some increasing while others dropping. In case of my XUV700, I'm well over 5L in gains (not really I know but considering the price I paid vs now, hypothetically).
Smartomotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 13:04   #1000
agh

This is such a confusing time right now in the EV landscape. Is now a good time to buy the ZS EV Executive or should I wait for 3-4 months for newer models from MG, Hyundai and Suzuki? I also fear the road tax imposition in Karnataka.
Old 7th February 2024, 16:47   #1001
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agh View Post
This is such a confusing time right now in the EV landscape. Is now a good time to buy the ZS EV Executive or should I wait for 3-4 months for newer models from MG, Hyundai and Suzuki? I also fear the road tax imposition in Karnataka.
I don't think MG would reduce prices again so soon. It has barely been a week since they knocked almost 2 lakhs off, right? So, you can go ahead and buy IMO because if the state imposes road tax, it will push up the on-road price by 3+ lakhs. Forget waiting for other EVs. They're at least a year away. Hyundai may in a year or so but Maruti? Please. Maruti and its mentor (Toyota) need to make up their minds first where they stand on this EV-hybrid-hydrogen thing.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 19:21   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agh View Post
If you like this vehicle and don't have the patience to wait, then go ahead because the risk of road tax would be there (there is no set timeline tho), however, another price correction is less likely to happen anytime soon.

If you can wait and road tax isn't an issue, then there's a chance MG would be bringing their other latest EV vehicles and possibly a PHEV which is a very good balance combo of EV + ICE taking away the range anxiety while giving the best mileage. It's already running in other countries and the pricing is very much suitable for Indian market, now whether it's in their pipeline for India or not is yet to be confirmed but I think they had already showcased it in the past expos if I'm not wrong. Regardless, expect these things happening in addition to other EVs by year end.

I had an urgency, so picked it up in Dec but if I had a choice, I would've totally waited considering the facelift is long due (existing design is outdated) or some other model.
Old 7th February 2024, 20:41   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Also please do check the OTR pricing. Just like many previous instances, MG may very well be playing around with the Ex-Showroom pricing (by baking-in the 100 year Anniversary discounts which many of us received).
I received the new price list and looks like the above seems to be the case atleast for the top-of-the-line model.

I could find ~10k difference (reduction) between the end-2023 OTR pricing (post discounts) and the new OTR pricing (which apparently doesnt have any discounts running).

MG seems to be simply sensationalising and playing with the Ex-showroom price and the earlier prevailing discounts which has now got baked into the Ex-Showroom pricing.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 7th February 2024 at 20:43.
Old 11th February 2024, 19:49   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
The AC fast charger being silently removed from standard equipment is a bummer. ZS EV’s supplied 16amp charger works at 2kw (Nexon’s works at 3kw). Charging a 50kwh battery using the 3pin 16amp plug means a charging time of 25hours!! People need to be aware of this fineprint.
From my own experience and testing, both Nexon and ZS slow chargers work at around 2.2KW. It would technically take 20 hours to fully charge my ZS EV but it is never taken down to zero. Please keep in mind that most people plug in at around 40% SOC. So an overnight charging of 10 hours is more than enough. Only time this is an issue is if I return from a long trip and the vehicle is down to near zero but that is very rare. Even in such a circumstance, you can get to around 60% by next morning and that is more than enough for any local commute.

Quote:
As Shreyans mentioned, the 3.3kW is useless for cars with larger batteries. It is good enough for a Comet or Tiago LR/Punch MR with a smaller battery. You can get the car charged under 12 hours. But I also know lot of Nexon EV Max users who sold-off their fast chargers (perhaps they always keep the car plugged-in; not sure if that is good for longevity of the battery]
No EV owner normally takes their vehicle down to near zero SOC. People can plug in at around 30% left and overnight charging will make it full. Usually, savvy EV users try and keep their SOC between 30 and 80% to preserve battery health, which means only about 10 hours of charging is required. There is no need to keep it constantly plugged in. If you drive around 50kms daily, you can plug it in twice a week overnight.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 18:14   #1005
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Guys. Need some help.

My MG ZS EV is not charging since yesterday.
I had connected the wall charger yesterday at 24% SOC. After 4 hrs, just checked and saw that charging was at 76% but not charging.This was at around 8.30 pm. Thought it must be some voltage issue and disconnected the charger.
Used the car today for about 50 km. No problem.
Evening, I connected the charger just to check because of yesterday's issue. It is not charging.
Tried with both wall charger and the charging cable given with MG.
Charging icon is seen on the dash.But charging is not happening.
Locked the car & checked.same situation.
No error codes on the dash or app.

Any tips?

The car is at around 28,500 km.

No issues before today

Last edited by sushanthys : 18th February 2024 at 18:15. Reason: Adding more information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks