Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2023, 16:58   #901
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

I also test drove the car and in a dilemma whether to go ahead or wait. My main concern is if the JSW ownership will bring any change in retaining these SAIC models or will there be any shift. There was some news that JSW is keen to promote indian EV. That apart, the discounts you are mentioning is massive if it is over the already corrected price. My dealer in Chennai says a discount of 1 lac for Excite and none for the higher models. There is an exchange bonus of 50K. Please check carefully. As already advised by someone go with either Excite which is VFM or Exclusive Pro which is fully loaded.
Old 6th December 2023, 19:21   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoctor View Post
Coming to the Exclusive variant selection, I think the Exclusive Pro variant is worthwhile for its value since it has a lot of ADAS features. Would strongly recommend you to go for the Pro variant. Not sure if a facelift is coming.
Pro variant is not getting as much discount as Exclusive only, and the only difference is the ADAS in Pro variant -- So the difference is of about 1.5L. My XUV700 already has ADAS and it's been over 1.5 years, we haven't used much other than just for fun tries.

So as of now, I don't use it so worthy. However, I'm gonna negotiate hard and see if I can get a better deal on Pro and opt for it since I plan to keep this EV for quite sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_lo View Post
I also test drove the car and in a dilemma whether to go ahead or wait. My main concern is if the JSW ownership will bring any change in retaining these SAIC models or will there be any shift. There was some news that JSW is keen to promote indian EV. That apart, the discounts you are mentioning is massive if it is over the already corrected price. My dealer in Chennai says a discount of 1 lac for Excite and none for the higher models. There is an exchange bonus of 50K. Please check carefully. As already advised by someone go with either Excite which is VFM or Exclusive Pro which is fully loaded.
The dealers are using old price vs new and creating a hypothetical discount. However, I did manage to negotiate an additional discount over and above the corrected price, a combination of cash and accessories which is decent enough, making exclusive effectively about ~25.5L OTR with insurance taken outside. Pro would come close to ~27L which doesn't seem worthy only for ADAS at this time.
Smartomotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 02:07   #903
BHPian

Can the owners recommend the Accessories to pick from the dealer vs outside and what are the recommended ones?

Please suggest.

Here's the list of items I've chosen. Rear sill seems to be more expensive now compared to the price list they sent but the dealer says it's outdated price. So I might drop that.

Any idea how the 3D mats are quality and comfort wise? They don't disturb while driving?

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-accessories.png

I'm also looking for a dashcam, please suggest a good quality (budget up to 25k), prefer dual channel.
Old 12th December 2023, 12:10   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartomotive View Post

IMHO if the spoiler extension can prevent the massive dust collection on the rear then it is worth while.
Old 12th December 2023, 12:26   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshrajan View Post
IMHO if the spoiler extension can prevent the massive dust collection on the rear then it is worth while.
I have no clue, that's news to me that this vehicle has the massive dust collection issues?

Guess I'll regret the Black color
Old 12th December 2023, 13:24   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how the 3D mats are quality and comfort wise? They don't disturb while driving?

I'm also looking for a dashcam, please suggest a good quality (budget up to 25k), prefer dual channel.
I am happy with the quality of the 3D mats offered by MG. Fits well, feels sturdy, does not interfere with driving position and are easy to clean. However, the locking mechanism for the front mats are a bit fiddly, but not a deal breaker.

For the dash-cam, DO NOT pick the option offered by MG / dealer. There are better options available outside. I use the Qubo HCA02 on all my other vehicles. However, this is a forward facing only camera. Planning to replace the dealer fitted cam on my MG with the Qubo.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 00:43   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I am happy with the quality of the 3D mats offered by MG. Fits well, feels sturdy, does not interfere with driving position and are easy to clean. However, the locking mechanism for the front mats are a bit fiddly, but not a deal breaker.

For the dash-cam, DO NOT pick the option offered by MG / dealer. There are better options available outside. I use the Qubo HCA02 on all my other vehicles. However, this is a forward facing only camera. Planning to replace the dealer fitted cam on my MG with the Qubo.
Thanks for the info.

Also, I'm getting the 7.5kW AC Fast Charger installed. Do you guys recommend I use 16A socket too and balance between slow/fast charging or it doesn't matter?

What are people doing about this?

I do already have the socket installed but IDK if my understanding/theory of balancing makes any sense and if it has any benefits for battery life or overall?
Old 14th December 2023, 09:51   #908
BHPian

Quote:

Also, I'm getting the 7.5kW AC Fast Charger installed. Do you guys recommend I use 16A socket too and balance between slow/fast charging or it doesn't matter?

I don't think it matters. 7KW AC is not a fast charger. I have been mostly using only this for last 15 months.
Old 14th December 2023, 10:00   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I do already have the socket installed but IDK if my understanding/theory of balancing makes any sense and if it has any benefits for battery life or overall?
There is nothing like AC Fast charger. All AC charging is considered slow charging. The AC chargers are not really chargers. They are an unit which is providing current at a specific load to the onboard charger in the car. The onboard charger is the one which then converts AC current to DC and charges the battery.

The DC chargers is considered a fast charger because it skips the onboard chargers conversion and directly charges the battery with DC current.

The 16A plug charger that comes with MG ZS is very slow, it charges at max load of 1.8-2 KW. So charging using it takes around 20-22 hours to charge from 10% to 100%
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 10:43   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't think it matters. 7KW AC is not a fast charger. I have been mostly using only this for last 15 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
There is nothing like AC Fast charger. All AC charging is considered slow charging....
Well, here's a snippet from the manual.

- 3kW = Slow Charger.
- 7-22 kW = Fast Charger.
- Rapid Chargers are available in AC or DC outputs. Generally the AC chargers are rated at 43kW and the DC chargers at 50kW plus.

Quote:
To carry out an equalisation slow charge, it is recommended that the charger output does not exceed 7kW.
Exicom Home charger that is shipped with the vehicle is rated at 7.5 kW, So if we go by technicals, it fits into the fast charger category (not rapid), here's Exicom Home's specs.

Now according to this info and the manual, there's info regarding slow charging:

Quote:
Carrying out a full slow charge is the only way for the high voltage battery to reach the optimal equilibrium state (equalisation charge).

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-chargersinfo.png

And here's the info regarding Equalisation Charging from the manual.

There's a bold note:
Quote:
Note: The slow charging notes above relate to using an AC charging device. Use of the slow charging device using a domestic power supply can increase the charging times by up to 3 times.
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-equalisationcharging.png

Now what's your opinion on this?
Smartomotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 10:46   #911
BHPian

In the newer (2022/2023) ZS EV models, were there any updates for higher AC charging capabilities? Or is its Type-2 AC charging capability still capped at 7.2kW (Single phase)

IIRC, BYD offers 3-phase 32A (22 kW) AC charging.
Old 14th December 2023, 11:55   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Now what's your opinion on this?
The manual screenshots you have provided are confusing as at one place they say that 3 KW and below is slow charging. In slow charging time section, they say it takes 8 hours to charge the battery that is not possible at 3KW charging speed.

My opinion still is the the exicom charger provided with the car is a slow charger and does the equalization charge. It runs at somewhere around 6.4 KW load. Also, the charger comes with an app with the help of which you can reduce the current to provide lesser load if you really want to charge at a slower speed.

A few points that support my theory based on the manual itself-

1. Under Equalization charging section, it says "On a average it takes at least 8.5 hours to complete a charge that includes the equalization charge". This again means the car will be charged on a 7.2 KW charger with a 6.4 KW load output.
2. Under slow charging section, it says "To carry out an equalization slow charge, it is recommended that the charger output does not exceed 7KW". This again means that the exicom charger which delivers at max 6.4 KW load will do a equalization charge every time you charge to 100%.
ferrarirules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 15:50   #913
BHPian

Quote:

1. Under Equalization charging section, it says "On a average it takes at least 8.5 hours to complete a charge that includes the equalization charge". This again means the car will be charged on a 7.2 KW charger with a 6.4 KW load output.
2. Under slow charging section, it says "To carry out an equalization slow charge, it is recommended that the charger output does not exceed 7KW". This again means that the exicom charger which delivers at max 6.4 KW load will do a equalization charge every time you charge to 100%.

I don't know if the above is true for LFP batteries, because they have not changed the manual. When my Dad got MG ZS EV(pre facelift with NMC batteries) the same manual was provided.
Old 14th December 2023, 16:48   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram_ind View Post
I don't know if the above is true for LFP batteries, because they have not changed the manual. When my Dad got MG ZS EV(pre facelift with NMC batteries) the same manual was provided.
I know for sure that above is true for LFP batteries. My friend owns the LFP battery - MG ZS EV and I checked the statements with him. He agrees to the same.
Old 15th December 2023, 03:39   #915
BHPian

Quote:
The manual screenshots you have provided are confusing as at one place they say that 3 KW and below is slow charging. In slow charging time section, they say it takes 8 hours to charge the battery that is not possible at 3KW charging speed.

My opinion still is the the exicom charger provided with the car is a slow charger and does the equalization charge. It runs at somewhere around 6.4 KW load. Also, the charger comes with an app with the help of which you can reduce the current to provide lesser load if you really want to charge at a slower speed.

A few points that support my theory based on the manual itself-

What's the formula behind max 6.4 kW load?

Indeed, there's confusion. But many online resources also have 3 categories. Slow/Fast/Rapid.

Slow is obviously 3.3kW. Fast is varying. Rapid is DC.

Also, I didn't know we could control the output from the app for the Exicom charger. You sure about that? That would then resolve the concern of limiting and slowing the charge as and when required.

I got that Tata Legrand EV Charging box to setup both simultaneously to use it for equalisation purposes when needed or for EV scooter later, guess I might not need it if this so-called Exicom charger load can be controlled/managed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks