Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 20:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: ABB launches world's fastest EV charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
I can't help but wonder what such high rates of charge (& the associated heat) does to the battery longevity though. The integrated battery cooling packs would be able to keep the temperature levels in check and keep the batteries from exploding. But even that will have limits in countries like India and Australia where the ambient temperatures can reach insane levels.

Precisely

That plus the distribution network required to supply thousands of cars at 90 kw a piece?!

This needs 1000 MW for simultaneous charging of 11000 cars

Surely more cars get fueled every minute in India

This creates a different problem in india and I am not sure if that is easy to solve at all.
Old 3rd October 2021, 23:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:

I can't help but wonder what such high rates of charge (& the associated heat) does to the battery longevity though. The integrated battery cooling packs would be able to keep the temperature levels in check and keep the batteries from exploding. But even that will have limits in countries like India and Australia where the ambient temperatures can reach insane levels.
No worry of exploding battery due to high temp because high tech chargers always have temp feedback from the battery. Incase temp rises to dangerous level, charging current is lowered.

High rate of discharge and charging always have detrimental effect on the life of the battery. Efficient battery temp management (cooling) is key of longevity of the battery.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 23:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Few days back read about this 480kw charger, so this is the second fastest.

"China's GAC Aion unveils 480kW fast charger" https://thedriven.io/2021/08/31/chin...t-charger/amp/

Quote:
The packs use liquid cooling, if we can make ice(refrigeration) in hot climates why can't we regulate the liquid cooled battery temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Precisely

That plus the distribution network required to supply thousands of cars at 90 kw a piece?!

This needs 1000 MW for simultaneous charging of 11000 cars

Surely more cars get fueled every minute in India

This creates a different problem in india and I am not sure if that is easy to solve at all.
I do not see a big problem, most EVs will be charged at home or offices at 3-7kw. Ofcourse, India needs to strengthen it's grid and power generation.

The latest ICCT report predicts India needs just 1% increase in power generation by 2040 in a scenario where 95% new car sales are EVs. Also the closure of oil refineries will free lots of power capacity.
SKC-auto is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 10:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
The packs use liquid cooling, if we can make ice(refrigeration) in hot climates why can't we regulate the liquid cooled battery temperature.
I think you are missing the point. While designing a cooling solution for an automobile, there are several items to be considered (packaging, weight, safety, cost, durability, serviceability etc.) - be it for the engine or a battery pack. IMHO a cooling solution that can help sustain high levels of charge might not be practical. For most current EVs, the charging switches to a lower rate, once a temperature threshold is reached.
Old 4th October 2021, 11:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you are missing the point. While designing a cooling solution for an automobile, there are several items to be considered (packaging, weight, safety, cost, durability, serviceability etc.) - be it for the engine or a battery pack. IMHO a cooling solution that can help sustain high levels of charge might not be practical. For most current EVs, the charging switches to a lower rate, once a temperature threshold is reached.
The automotive industry are the foremost experts in heat management. Considering how hot IC engines can get and yet are designed for prolonged use, finding cooling solutions will not be a stumbling block.
Old 4th October 2021, 23:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice

In practice there is
Yogi Berra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I do not see a big problem, most EVs will be charged at home or offices at 3-7kw. Ofcourse, India needs to strengthen it's grid and power generation.

The latest ICCT report predicts India needs just 1% increase in power generation by 2040 in a scenario where 95% new car sales are EVs. Also the closure of oil refineries will free lots of power capacity.
That's macro perfect report which is totally incorrect.

It is like vegetable markets. local market failures but lots and lots of unmet demand nationwide.

My society, adecent one in Gurgaon gives me 6kw power backup. I have two cars. Getting 3-15kw to every house means last mile doubling. that hasn't even started.

Even if the overall consumption doesn't change, we need to solve at the micro level. India is a country with power surplus but regular blackout at the ground level. same story.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks