Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 11:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV confirmed for India

Last week, Ford announced that it would no longer manufacture vehicles in India, sending shockwaves through the industry. However, the American carmaker isn't completely exiting the market. It will continue to sell completely built units (CBUs).

Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV confirmed for India-2021fordmustangmacheoncitystreetinwhite.jpg

Ford had earlier sold the Mustang in India as a CBU. The carmaker has now confirmed that the Mustang Mach-E electric SUV will be coming to India.

Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV confirmed for India-2021fordmustangmacheinwhiterearsideview.jpg

The Mustang Mach-E is a 5-seater all-electric crossover. It is offered in rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive configurations and with the option of two battery packs. The 68 kWh battery has a claimed range of 370 km, while the 88 kWh battery pack is said to deliver up to 491 km of range (American EPA cycle).

Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV confirmed for India-2021fordmustangmacheinteriorgraphic.jpg

The premium EV segment is slowly gaining momentum in India. At present, Mercedes-Benz offers the EQC, Jaguar sells the I-Pace, while Audi has its e-tron range. Tesla is also charting its entry into this space.

Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV confirmed for India-2021fordmustangmacheinteriorfrompassengerside.jpg
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV confirmed for India

Does it really matter that Ford will sell CBUs when they're not even gonna have any dealers as such? How do they plan on doing this? Using company-owned centres or something?

I really doubt this will sell now considering how Ford was earlier considered as a budget-friendly brand. It's kind of interesting to see their strategy now of selling CBUs. IMO they would've made much better profits by selling bucket loads of face-lifted Ecosports like they've done for so many years.
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 16:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing wrong with Ford continuing to sell CBUs, infact the Mustang GT was doing pretty well. But the question remains whether consumers will confidently buy CBU Fords given how Ford has one foot on the door!
Old 13th September 2021, 17:00   #4
BHPian

Problem is in Tier 2 cities dealers cannot just operate a service workshop and fire all sales staff. They need to sell cars for them to come back to get serviced. I was talking to the owner of the Ford dealership in my city and he told me he is already in talks with company like Skoda for dealership. I was told as soon as he gets rid of inventory which is not much already, he will switch over or another company. Same happened to to GM dealership in my city which was replaced by VW.
He said we can't sustain on selling 1 Mustang in 6 months or even more.
Old 13th September 2021, 17:10   #5
BHPian

I guess these type of news will keep on coming for a few months from Ford. This is to generate some hype, calm some nerves, and help sell off the existing stocks at the dealers' end.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 10:21   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed with Nav-i-gator . This is just a smokescreen, guys. Ford USA is too big, selling millions of cars worth billions of dollars every year. They aren't interested in selling 20 - 30 overpriced CBUs each month in a distant country. Such minuscule volumes appeal to entrepreneurs & small used car dealers, not a powerful global MNC like Ford.

The profits from these low volume CBUs won't even cover their HR, legal or administrative expenses! Remember, the compliance requirements of a car manufacturer are extremely tough & rigid.

Last edited by GTO : 15th September 2021 at 10:27.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 09:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford India will start its restructuring business in approximately 18 months, so looking for mid 2023 launch?

Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV confirmed for India-smartselect_20211010093511_instagram.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th October 2021 at 09:47.
Old 1st January 2023, 22:02   #8
BHPian

14 months since this announcement, but not a single trace of info about their launch. Is Ford really serious about launching these global portfolio products or was it just for word sake?

I would love to see the mach-e. Please prove me wrong Ford!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks