Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2022, 10:13   #331
BHPian

Re: The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)

Let’s look at the home ac charger box looks good indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-43c17398f6734834a1b68f2b329fa639.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:21   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Electronically limited to 140 km/hr, a notch up from the 120 km/hr limit of the regular Nexon EV

The image below gives a fair idea of real-world range that can be expected from Nexon EV Max - in the ballpark of 300-320 km at best.

Over 2000 kms my avg is 146 wh/km. As per that I would get 275 kms from NEV Max in the city. On highways with cruise control and 0 regen the avg would be much better and close to 400. In our NEV whatsapp group people using nexcruise for highway drives get as low as 95wh/km.
psbali is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:23   #333

My doubt to people thinking using LED lamps will prolong range. Doesn't the headlamps use power from the 12V battery and not the main battery? Or in EVs everything comes from the main battery? I assumed it's still two separate batteries in EVs as well.
hemj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:28   #334
BHPian

Bruichladdich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:33   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemj View Post
My doubt to people thinking using LED lamps will prolong range. Doesn't the headlamps use power from the 12V battery and not the main battery? Or in EVs everything comes from the main battery? I assumed it's still two separate batteries in EVs as well.
there is a separate battery for aux functions, but that gets charged by the main battery. However, switching to LED lights to prolong range is equivalent to not using blinkers to increase it.
DarthVeda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:45   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruichladdich View Post
I just hope it's true. I at least want 310-320kms range.
A good thumb rule to calculate the range for an EV is to go with 70% of ARAI certified figure - I've seen this with my e2o as well as Nexon EV. In the latter, I get around 220 km at best (with pro-EV driving style) against ARAI certified figure of 312 km. Going by this, one can expect around 310 km or so, for the Max. Again, I am talking about "realistic" driving - generous usage of A/C, infotainment on all the time, intermittent usage of wipers/headlamps as needed, etc. Essentially, use all electrical/electronic equipment like you would use on a regular ICE car, albeit with lesser aggressive driving i.e. no sudden accelerations or braking. If you cut down on these, and drive like a saint, you can get a much higher range

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Let’s look at the home ac charger box looks good indeed.
This is the 7.2 kW A/C fast charger. Looks suave, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemj View Post
Doesn't the headlamps use power from the 12V battery and not the main battery?
Just like an ICE car, an EV too has an auxiliary 12V battery which powers all peripherals like headlights, wipers, infotainment, etc. This battery in turn, is charged by the high voltage main battery pack.
cool_dube is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:52   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
there is a separate battery for aux functions, but that gets charged by the main battery. However, switching to LED lights to prolong range is equivalent to not using blinkers to increase it.
TRUE, as per my calculation only 0.9kwh or 7km extra spent for 12hours of usage I.e., say 6-pm to 6am.

For a car with 300km mileage at 60km/hrs average speed or 5 hrs driving, it's just 0.375kwh extra spent over LED. 2-3 km loss in a 300km trip is not a big deal.
SKC-auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:58   #338

I wish this was the Nexon they launched first!

I am a Tata Nexon owner and absolutely love my car. The car is just over a year old and I have just crossed 15000 km with some outstation trips as well. Like others, I hate Tata's service network.

I don't care too much about the battery or the 7.2KW charger. But I wish my car had come with TPMS and Cruise Control - both of which were part of the ICE car. I also wish the adjustable regen and the Electronic Parking Brake had been provided. These are the things I miss the most.

While I am at it, I must also congratulate Tata for providing physical buttons for most functions and not trying to copy Tesla by providing controls on the LCD Display.

Here's a pic of my beauty!

The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-img_2337.jpg
RogerEphraim is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 11:03   #339
BHPian

We have a 240 km round trip from Doon to my parent’s cottage in the hills beyond Mussoorie. From an EV point of view, the interesting thing about this is:

(1) On the way back we climb three thousand feet up the north face of Mussoorie, then drop down into Doon. So the last stage is a steep battery killing climb followed by an easy regen drive down into Doon and till our residence.

(2) The approach road is unpaved and requires at least the sort of clearance my Punto (with the tall suspension) has. Preferably more though. And AWD is sorely missed if it rains unexpectedly. The 2WD cars tend to slide about.

The way it stands the MG ZS EV has the range to feel safe but less clearance than even the Punto (I checked!). The Nexon Max probably has the clearance but probably not enough range to get to the top of Mussoorie on the way back, without dropping into single digits!

Needless to say we don’t have electricity at our remote parking spot and wouldn’t trust it even if we got a line till there. So it has to be “there and back again” on a single charge.
Vikram9193 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 11:24   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Yes.

In Maharashtra you need a separate connection for ev charging station even at home.

Plus point is low rates for electricity which is at 3.00 rs in city and 2.30 rs in rural area.
This is wrong. You don't NEED a separate connection. You can choose to have one if you so desire.
The unit rate for an EV charging connection with MSEDCL ₹ 4.15 and wheeling charges are ₹ 1.35, thus effective rate becomes ₹ 5.5/unit plus taxes and duty. Also, fixed/demand charge for such a connection is 70 ₹/kW.
So, if you want a 8kW connection for your nexon EV, you must shell our 560₹/month fixed irrespective of your usage.

Thus, unless you are going to have extremely high usage or multiple vehicles, or you plan to provide charging to others, it does not make sense to go for the dedicated connection for EV charging. You're better off charging your EV from your home connection even though the unit rate is higher.

(1 unit = 1kWh)
Reference: https://www.mahadiscom.in/consumer/w...22-of-2019.pdf (see page 495 onwards)

Last edited by jalsa777 : 12th May 2022 at 11:25. Reason: Inserting reference
jalsa777 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 11:35   #341
BHPian

The sales executive that’s been assisting me confirmed that my booking has been moved from Nexon EV to Nexon EV Max yesterday. The order ID would be generated today and he said he will provide details by end of day.

When asked for waiting period, he said Tata Motors informed to quote 4 month waiting period for all bookings. One interesting info he shared is that there are lot lesser bookings coming from customers for 3.3KW charger option as compared to 7.2KW charger option and he was suggesting why not opt for 7.2KW as it costs just 50k more. I explained that the overheads are not worth it for my use case and I can manage with a 3.3KW charger and 15A socket.

One good thing is that the sales executive, Mr. B, at Tata Motors, Malakpet, Hyderabad, has been very responsive since day 1. He even arranged for a test drive just 1 day later for Nexon EV in last week of March and I booked my vehicle on very same day back then. Ever since then, he has been very proactive to update me on various things and always attends my call without fail. Kudos to that!
raghupro is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:22   #342
BHPian

I have also moved my booking from the Dark Nexon EV XZ+ to Max XZ+
Lux. I am moving from 2019 Verna SX (O).

I stay in a rented apartment and wanted an opinion from the forum on going for a 3.3KwH charger or 7.2. I understand there is a difference in cost, which is ok, but I want to understand if someone has had an experience with moving the charger to another location, cost involved in setting up the 7.2 from BESCOM POV.

Our apartment does have 3 phase and its own transformer, so hoping it shouldn't be that big a set-up cost from BESCOM.

Any experiences would be helpful.
alok9345 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:27   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerEphraim View Post
Here's a pic of my beauty!

Attachment 2307006
Alloys are looking very classy and are not protruding out of the body. What's the alloys size and brand?
Old 12th May 2022, 12:52   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Wouldn't that get a couple of kms of range at night.
Dumb question Viddy.. Does it really help with the range?
Would they not separate the drive-train battery from the other battery powering the headlights, ICE and other stuff?
I mean, does it help with the range if i do not use the ICE or headlights?
Old 12th May 2022, 13:15   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dumb question Viddy.. Does it really help with the range?
Would they not separate the drive-train battery from the other battery powering the headlights, ICE and other stuff?
I mean, does it help with the range if i do not use the ICE or headlights?
There is a normal 12V battery that powers the other electronics in the car. However the 12V battery gets charged from the lithium ion battery pack through a DC-Dc converter.

When the car is running the 12V system such as lights and accessories are powered directly from DC-Dc converter. So the headlights draw power from the DC-DC converter. This load in the grand scheme of things is very less since you now have wireless charging, ventilated seats and audio system as well as all lights.

But it all adds up in some way or the other. With halogen lights you have 55W low beam and 60W high beam generally. This means 230W. LED in hardly 30W for low and high and total will be 60W. A 60W LED vs 230W halogen will load the DC-DC system much lesser.

https://www.engadget.com/2011-01-24-...cle-range.html

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th May 2022 at 13:18.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks