Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Convert a Maruti Dzire into an electric car in Rs. 5 lakh

I don't see this concept flying, sorry. We have seen these kinds of enterprises even with white goods. Home made contraptions that would be bought up by people with too much money on their hands in a goods starved market that would soon be sold to the kabaadiwala. (Early washing machines, for example).

A car made for an ICE would not be best suited for use as an EV. Those converting would do it as the last resort - either due to financial constraints or for its nostalgia value. A high price would deter the first category, so it is likely that the other category is the target market.

While I don't understand why the company wants to sell such unviable kits, it is possible that they have a game plan. Most Indian startups are not interested in becoming the next Google or Tesla, their owners are just polishing up their company's resume to sell out to some angel investors or an established company in the same field. The buyer will either bring in the real deal or just shut down after transferring a large amount of money to the original startup.

The modus operandi of this firm is very different from that of Ola or Ather (just examples of the type of company I consider likely to succeed) . May be other Tbhpians are aware of successful businesses that started out small and grew into big brands, but I cannot think of any in the Indian space.

Most of the cars in India (except Tata) are foreign brands. If there was a demand for such kits worldwide (likely), I'm sure a well established aftermarket brand would come out with well tested products. As with everything else, it would make sense to buy a well regarded, well supported, branded kit with professional installers and government certification. (Most likely this startup would be first in line to sell the established brand's kit).
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 08:25   #32
BHPian

With the scrappage policy coming into force, this idea may find reasonable traction if the vendor caters to a wider range of models.

It may make sense to invest the asking price to avoid a new car purchase. The conversion will limit the usage of the car for fleets to city usage.

If the price were lower, it would find more takers easily as there are many cars in reasonable shape that need the upgrade and the fuel cost savings may mitigate the investment.

Last edited by Mafia : 23rd August 2021 at 08:27.
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:11   #33
BHPian

A vehicle is Homologated for a certain set of Specifications of Engine Emission, Safety Components & Entire Vehicle. Such major modification (conversion from ICE to EV) will bring change in the overall weight of the vehicle and will also bring difference in the Overall performance parameters of the vehicle which are declared by the OEM while going for CMVR certification.

I am sure MoRTH will bring some guidelines in future to regulate/validate (or may be ban) of such After market (Retro)fitments.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:26   #34
BHPian

It would be more helpful if they could sell a kit for two-wheelers. After seeing the DIY conversion here, seems something a lot of people would want:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...n-battery.html (My Electric Discover | I converted my Bajaj Discover 125 to electric with a lithium-ion battery)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks