Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 12:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron

Is rear biased load and rear wheel drive like a 911?
Old 19th August 2021, 13:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

Whatever they do with Tigor will be of no use. It is never going to sell in high numbers (ICE or EV version). Keep this as a low cost option and launch Altroz with more range and price it under 15L OTR for the top variant.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:29   #78
BHPian

Great product from TATA , they must be congratulated for the Tigor EV that placed as a city car . For city needs and short trips around the city ,it's just a perfect tool . 75 bhp and a usable range of around 200 kms is more then enough for city use , further looking at the ease of driving these EVs ( now a days I use Nexon EV for that ), a perfect wifey car .
A very neatly placed product for small needs , look at it in a right perspective and I do not see any disappointment in it , rather it serves more than it's purpose intended for .
And for everything else , there is a Altroz coming with higher range I think .
quattroa4 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:51   #79
BHPian

Why is everyone so focused on the power output from the motor?

Two things, the electric motor has its torque available through out the rev band, or so it's said. Max torque is not restricted to a small rev range at least. And its torque more than BHP that counts for driveability.

Also in a vehicle with an internal combustion engine, you have the clutch and gearbox and other transmission components that eat up power before it reaches the wheel, not so in an EV. There are less things that soak up that power. As some one mentioned Rajiv Bajaj's comment about different management being needed for taking the company into the EV space, I guess we need new consumers as well who don't see EVs with ICE tinted glasses.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th August 2021 at 05:33. Reason: Typos, factual error
JagMan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:54   #80
BHPian

Thankfully, I am not one who expects Tesla performance at e2O prices from every EV in India. I appreciate Tata for being a pioneer in India by bringing a regular passenger cars with electric propulsion rather than an oddball car.
Their attempts to improve on each vehicle constantly with better batteries and power management is laudable; they could easily have kept to making tinny competition to the tinny leaders.
I am not complaining about the range either; these are progressive things in a price sensitive market.
When the consistent real world range crosses 300 km with an on road price under 15 L , I will get serious about buying a compact EV.
matizcrazy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Is rear biased load and rear wheel drive like a 911?
Aye correct geetee, a very astute observation.

Except that the 911's engine sits behind the rear axle.

Also from the images chares a couple of posts earlier show the electric motor driving the front wheels.

Apart from that you are right about everything else.
Old 19th August 2021, 15:14   #82
BHPian

Not a bad option from Tata. People never considered Tigor as premium/aspirational product and also its sales numbers were always mediocre. So giving same battery pack as that of Nexon EV will not help Tigor. Realistic approach should be:

1. Product with at lest 200KM real world range.
2. Pricing under 10L

Factors in favor of Tigor EV:

1. 170nm torque on tap.
2. Less body weight
3. 4 Start rated body shell.

Ultimately, the crucial factor for success will be pricing.
Old 19th August 2021, 15:43   #83
BHPian

I dont understand what was the purpose of the launch without reveling the range and price tag.
Seriously they could not pair a better looking alloy wheel? Rather than designing a new set of wheels they could have chosen JTP twins alloy wheels.
Old 19th August 2021, 16:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer416 View Post
The blue colour is nice, and it's good to see for a change cars with different colour schemes other than the white and greys on the road. It feels so monotonous with same shades of colour everywhere.
It's so annoying now that some luxury car makers only launch cars in white and greys along with 2.0 engines. So boring
The blue colour may look nice to you. But, not to me. Its a personal choice.

What I meant was, there should not only be 'electric' colours. EVs should be made available in conventional colours too.

And I don't need Green highlights in my car.

Have I added bright blue / green / red bits to my existing cars? No. I want my car simple. If people still want these bits, they should be optional.

Examples:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-tigor-ev.jpg  

Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-nexon-ev-colours.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 17:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

I think XM starts at more than 10L, looks like they have changed the booking page, now they have xx,xx,xxx for all variants.

Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-screenshot_20210819_124656.jpg
SKC-auto is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 18:01   #86
BHPian

First of all, we should appreciate TATA for introducing another electrified vehicle from their stable.

Second - Like the Nexon EV advertisement in newspaper and all, nowhere they mentioned the range of the vehicle which is the same as Tigor EV. It simply means that TATA is not confident in its range estimations.

Third - Are they trying to cheat the general public with the below statement?
Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-smartselect_20210818111951_twitter.jpg

AIS-048 is a regulatory standard set by ARAI which is mandatory for any electrified vehicle which runs on a battery pack.

And the funny part is that, as per AIS-048, the battery pack should withstand structural damages which means it should have impact protection.

So technically they trying to fool the generic buyers by saying it's the safest of all by putting a homologation testing terminology without even any statistics.

Apart from TATAs interest in introducing EVs, they are literally trying to confuse/cheat/mislead the industry by taking advantage of first comer to India market and the minuscule EV know-how of consumers.
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 18:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post

Second - Like the Nexon EV advertisement in newspaper and all, nowhere they mentioned the range of the vehicle which is the same as Tigor EV. It simply means that TATA is not confident in its range estimations.
They were dragged to Court, sometime back, because of those range claims.

I am suspecting that they have taken a conscious decision to leave out mentioning the range, at least in print media, just to avoid legal issues later.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 20:59   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Third - Are they trying to cheat the general public with the below statement?
Attachment 2195445

AIS-048 is a regulatory standard set by ARAI which is mandatory for any electrified vehicle which runs on a battery pack.

And the funny part is that, as per AIS-048, the battery pack should withstand structural damages which means it should have impact protection.

So technically they trying to fool the generic buyers by saying it's the safest of all by putting a homologation testing terminology without even any statistics.
In their defence, I think they are referring to the Global NCAP 4* safety rating of the car's structure (they have colored it in yellow with the direction of frontal impact to the cabin) and not for the battery pack or it's AIS-048 compliance in general. The Tiago and Tigor got 4* safety rating after the facelift was introduced, and that same structure is carried forward in the Tigor ZipTron EV, so they have the bragging rights for advertising it like that.

Just my 2 cents, I may be wrong and you may be right!
Old 19th August 2021, 22:28   #89
BHPian

Why is mentioning AIS 048 compliance such a bad thing? It's a good regulatory standard based on relevant international standards. Even European standards for battery packs are similar. For AIS 048 compliance pack has to pass crush tests, nail penetration test and what not. ARAI has installed new test facility for this testing, it's a good one.
mayd85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 22:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

Vivek Srivatsa, Head-Marketing, Passenger and Electric Vehicles Business Unit, Tata Motors:

"Tigor EV gives us the benefit of a slightly lighter car. So we will be able to offer similar kind of range and performance with a smaller battery pack, which translates into a lower cost.”

Source: TOI

Also adding images from press release.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-image-1-exterior.jpg  

Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-image-2-exterior.jpg  

Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-image-3-exterior.jpg  

Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-image-4-exterior.jpg  

Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-image-5-exterior.jpg  

Tata to launch another electric car - Tigor EV with Ziptron-image-6-interior.jpg  

Last edited by ashutoshb : 19th August 2021 at 22:49.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks