Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Altroz EV to get larger battery, 40% more range

After having driven the Nexon, eagerly waiting for this. The only drawback of the Nexon I believe is the real world range. For sure shot this would be on the top of my consideration for my next car. Fingers Crossed that TATA get this absolutely correct, let them take a little bit longer if they have to. Fingers Crossed!
Mile10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:13   #32
BHPian

Most of the responses in this thread are from people living in Metropolis regions. I can assure you there will be a widespread proliferation of EV chargers around you, so much so that you need not budget for a long-range car in your EV buying decision.
The range will concern buyers in rural/semi-urban settings where chargers will be few and far between. In such settings, people will depend on home charging to meet their requirements hence expecting long range.
When it comes to highways you will find chargers on major highways all along the way.
The battery size of around 40kWh seems to be the sweet spot in battery size for urban commuters. The charging infrastructure is supposed to be planned accordingly.
A good charger network is an exercise in urban planning (a metric could be, for example ensuring every EV user should be able to find a charger within a 20km radius in an urban environment). Such planning is commonly carried out when telecom infrastructure roll out is done for eg. 4G and 5G roll out.
If the city councils use a scientific approach, they can plan it well there is plenty of expertise out there. Unfortunately, some councils will be driven by contractor lobbies and contracts will be defined by terms favorable to them(like replacing existing petrol pumps with chargers, even though there are plenty of chargers in the nearby car park).

To avoid this situation a government regulatory body should be set up to define rules and guidelines for charger network planning, contractor selection etc. etc.. very similar to what is practiced for telecom infra.

There is of course no limit to how big a battery can be installed in an EV, but considering the battery pack dimensions and weight, you can expect max sizes of between 60-70 kWh for cars. So either very expensive feature-rich cars will probably do 450 odd km or very bare bone feature deprived ones. The latter will be reserved for rural households who need range but cannot afford expensive cars. The urban folk will prefer amenities over range.

The 1000kms range battery which someone mentioned is what would be feasible for commercial vehicles.
LeoRBK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:45   #33
BHPian

I wonder if that will signal the end of ICE power trains on 1.2L and lower. Getting the pricing right is Tata's major focus on this. I wonder if ARAI has looked at introducing tougher battery safety regulations for Indian environment, especially around thermal run away testing.
gopa99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:55   #34
BHPian

I think Tata is doing a really great job,

Just that they have to market the price range to be lot less.

I think if it priced below 10L mark, it will be a game changer for TATA
zulfikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
The max I could extract from my Nexon was 260KM on 95% battery by driving below 70KM/h on a relatively empty TN highway.
What kind of range do you get if you drive at 80 to 90kmph with gentle foot?
Old 23rd July 2021, 22:58   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
By keeping the speeds around 80 with occasional 100 for overtaking, I get 180-200KM with AC.
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 00:37   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post

if there are no hills involved then easily 200 to 220, ofcourse the last 10km your butt will clenched and you will be sweaty but over a period of time, you will get to live dangerously and on the edge
On a serious note, I have done ~220 with 80 to 90 speed range and still had around 10% left. With the Cruise control system, you can eek out very good range on flat highways and even more if there is less traffic (read less trucks).
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 01:36   #38
BHPian

Thats indeed a great news ! 40% more range should equate to 430 km ARIA milage and roughly 300-320 km on regular driving (going by the ZS EV scenario). If they could price it around 12 lakhs ex showroom, it will be a great car for daily commuting and occasional intercity trips.
Also please add park option and adjustable regen levels to the feature list. Lack of Park option is a deal breaker for many people including me.
rapid_fire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 02:09   #39
BHPian

As other Bhpians pointed out, the 500 KM rating is more likely ARAI, not WLTP, so based on what others have pointed out with the Nexon, I’d say a real world range of 300-350 km (or around 400 km WLTP). This is a pretty standard EV range and given the price is actually really good if not amongst the best outside premium brands!

Given the projected cost, this has a serious chance to be a hit, especially if Tata manages to build the charging infrastructure, the EV Altros could even be an alternative to the AT variant that never came.
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 08:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub.g84 View Post
The way I see it is the electric motor will definitely do justice to that lovely chassis. No more feel of mismatched power to chassis as seen in the ICE Altroz. Considering the car to be smaller than the Nexon, a more powerful battery pack is simply a win-win situation for consumers. However TML musn’t forget that the Nexon EV lacked gripper tyres and didn’t have any traction control causing a lot of wheel spin and loss of energy. Hope they rectify this with the Altroz EV and the updated Nexon EV.
Hopefully the weight of the battery will not impact the driving dynamics too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
A 450KM real world range would need 60KWh battery pack. Not sure how we could expect a car with 60KWh battery at 12L.
Our technology super power ARAI might certify a 450KM range with a 40KWh battery but dont expect anything more than 350KM range with careful driving.
The max I could extract from my Nexon was 260KM on 95% battery by driving below 70KM/h on a relatively empty TN highway.
Assuming the battery technology doesn't change I would say you are correct on the battery being close 60KWh. I was wondering if the "extended battery pack" in the Nexon will reduce some of the boot space. Same question holds for the Altroz too. Is this range going to come at the cost of reduced boot space or lack of spare tire?
Old 24th July 2021, 09:38   #41
BHPian

I was planning to replace my 2009 i10 with Ignis as my second car for city errands. Now with the EV segment getting exiting, am willing to wait for a EV with a good ground clearance and with a small i10 kind of dimensions for small lane commuting. Hope HBX comes with an EV option.
Bala.V is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 12:38   #42
BHPian

We are talking about some serious numbers here. If Tata can give Altroz EV with 500 KM range, it will join some of leading EV cars in terms of range it offers. For reference, Tesla Model 3 standard range gives 423 KM as per EPA rating. I’m really skeptic about Tata Altroz EV can match Model 3 numbers. It’s not about capability of Tata but about the price point where Altorz EV is planned to positioned. If Tata can give Altroz EV at competitive price with real world range around 350 KM, it will start electrification era in Indian car market. 350 KM real world range covers most of my usual long distance travel needs. If proper charging infrastructure is built along the highway, I’m sure lot of people will give serious consideration to get an electric car. Below image depicts how much coverage a 350 Km Altorz EV can do in a single charge for reference.

Scoop! Tata Altroz EV to get larger battery, 40% more range-range.png

I do long distance commuting to office , if Tata can price Altroz EV between 10-12 Lakhs, will be compelling case for me to buy it over ICE cars. If its priced above 12 lakhs, initial purchasing cost will negate the benefits we get from cheaper fuel. Interesting days ahead, waiting for launch of Altroz EV.
rainmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 14:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
We are talking about some serious numbers here. If Tata can give Altroz EV with 500 KM range, it will join some of leading EV cars in terms of range it offers. For reference, Tesla Model 3 standard range gives 423 KM as per EPA rating. I’m really skeptic about Tata Altroz EV can match Model 3 numbers. It’s not about capability of Tata but about the price point where Altorz EV is planned to positioned. If Tata can give Altroz EV at competitive price with real world range around 350 KM, it will start electrification era in Indian car market. 350 KM real world range covers most of my usual long distance travel needs. If proper charging infrastructure is built along the highway, I’m sure lot of people will give serious consideration to get an electric car. Below image depicts how much coverage a 350 Km Altorz EV can do in a single charge for reference.

Attachment 2183216

I do long distance commuting to office , if Tata can price Altroz EV between 10-12 Lakhs, will be compelling case for me to buy it over ICE cars. If its priced above 12 lakhs, initial purchasing cost will negate the benefits we get from cheaper fuel. Interesting days ahead, waiting for launch of Altroz EV.
And by switching to EV you can reduce the environment impact
For reference, Suzuki swift emits 113 g/km of co2 from tailpipe. So for a 100 km commute you are looking at 11 kgs of co2 not sent to atmosphere
Before anybody else points out I agree that source of electricity is still unclean. But as it turns out India is one of the fastest to expand its solar production so sooner or later all the electricity will be renewable. We all can do our bit by switching from ICE to EV.

So, wish you best for the EV switch.
LeoRBK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 04:05   #44
BHPian

No clue what Tata Motors is up to, but anybody looking for a long range affordable EV will look at Chinese battery prices.

BYD's GM responsible for battery manufacturing recently said their new LFP blade batteries are now approx $93 per KWH at pack level. Taking a rounded up $100 number gives us $5000 for a 50KWH pack. Or ₹ 3.75Lacs before shipping and any import duties. Someone else quoted ₹ 3.4Lacs for the current 30KWH NMC Li ion battery pack in the nexon. LFP batteries also have longer cycle life and need a less complex cooling and BMS.

Tesla also shifted from NMC to LFP for model3 when they entered China, because it's cheaper. Is It time for Tata Motors to switch battery chemistry as well?

Anyone know who supplies Tata Motors battery pack or cells?
guptad42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 09:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
LFP batteries also have longer cycle life and need a less complex cooling and BMS.

Tesla also shifted from NMC to LFP for model3 when they entered China, because it's cheaper. Is It time for Tata Motors to switch battery chemistry as well?

Anyone know who supplies Tata Motors battery pack or cells?
NEXON EV is using LFP batteries from the start and it's weighs about 260KG. It's being sourced and assembled by TATA AUTOCOMP and supplied to Tata Motors.

Eagerly waiting for confirmation on this 40% increased range. IMHO Altroz EV should come with 2 battery packs- one with 20KWH- affordable, faster, efficient for the same mechanicals due to 250-300kg lesser weight when compared to NEXON EV 30KWH, for customers considering EV as their secondary/ City car and another one with 40KWH with longer range for replacing the primary cars at homes.

Few things they should add to both the Nexon and Altroz EV packages are :

*Faster charging capabilities for future proof, atleast 11KW on AC and 50KW on DC.
*Cruise control.
*Range mode with controlled accelerator response.
*Power consumption charts like AC consumption, Battery cooling, motor etc just like KONA EV.
*Added safety with ESP & TC.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 26th July 2021 at 09:53.
TorqueIndia is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks