Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Altroz EV to get larger battery, 40% more range

This is just brilliant.
Honestly, the Nexon EV with a real world range anywhere from 200-240 km was kind of not here or there. Larger than required range for city runs, but not enough for highway runs. The new battery pack with a claimed 500 km range should be able to offer around 350km, which is practical for highway runs for most common people. If they are able to keep the prices logical as we currently have for the Nexon EV. Good move from Tata.
Hope the established players too follow suit and release affordable EV's.

My brother is just about to take delivery of the his Altroz Diesel in a couple of days (awaiting number plates from RTO), and as I told him, it would probably be his last car with an ICE. EV tech should surpass ICE tech in a few years, given the pace at which its going now. 5 years back, the only EV we had was the Mahindra E2O, and now we have every Manufacturer with atleast one EV in India. Hope the charging infrastructure also catches up on time.
ps_abhijith is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wow. This is encouraging. We as BHPians, should try to target buying the next car as an EV. I am holding on to my Polo I guess (unless I get a company sponsored car ).

But my next out-of pocket purchase should be an EV!
2000rpm is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
I hope you meant ARAI.

Pricing an altroz EV with 50kWh battery (alone costing 5.25L, we haven’t yet talked about motor and BMS, at least another 1.5L) on a diesel version already costing 9.5L, yeah, we exceeded the 14L mark before even adding motor and BMS.

If we assume chucking out engine/exhaust, transmission and fuel tank + all assorted parts saves 1.5L, it’s still over 14L when adding 5.25L battery pack.
On the cost front, one big thing is GST. On ICE cars it is 28% and for EVs it is only 5%. A fair way may be to look at difference between Nexon and Altroz in ICE avatar and extending same difference to EVs. There's approx 1.5L difference so Altroz EV would be 1.5L cheaper. An extbeded range Altroz EV at same cost as normal range Nexon EV. Take your pick SUV vs extended range.

Overall this is exciting. More models, extended range will make EVs more mainstream. I hope Karnataka announces some subsidy as well for me to take the plunge.
serious_maniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 19:47   #19
BHPian

Do we know when this will be launched?
As I recall from when the Nexon EV was launched, they said the Altroz would follow in another year or so, but no official updates since then...
slango97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 22:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Overall this is exciting. More models, extended range will make EVs more mainstream. I hope Karnataka announces some subsidy as well for me to take the plunge.
From a cost perspective, do EVs cost more to manufacture than Petrol/Diesels? I am eagerly waiting the pricing for XC40 Recharge as well - I feel it will be 55L ex-showroom while petrol is 40L.
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:45   #21
BHPian

The way I see it is the electric motor will definitely do justice to that lovely chassis. No more feel of mismatched power to chassis as seen in the ICE Altroz. Considering the car to be smaller than the Nexon, a more powerful battery pack is simply a win-win situation for consumers. However TML musn’t forget that the Nexon EV lacked gripper tyres and didn’t have any traction control causing a lot of wheel spin and loss of energy. Hope they rectify this with the Altroz EV and the updated Nexon EV.
sub.g84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:20   #22
BHPian

Unless the extended range is provided without much addition in cost due to better technology or falling battery prices, I don’t see this being feasible. If the Nexon costing around 16 lakhs is bumped up to 19 or 20 lakhs with a higher range, it would then be at the same price as the MG EZS. In addition, Tata needs to add ESC and cruise control, LED headlights, bigger infotainment screen and perhaps side and curtain airbags. I won’t even dream of powered and ventilated seats. All this would push the price near 20 lakhs for the Nexon and 16 lakh plus for the Altroz. So a bigger battery capacity, even if available, would be untenable unless it is offered at only a slight premium.
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:57   #23
BANNED

For Altroz, Tata should target around 90-100 BHP so that range will improve further. If they can achieve around 450 Kms in real world, nothing like it. Also if they can price it around 12 Lakhs OTR, I am sure they will get huge success.

Kudos to Tata for doing some aggressive investments in EV business. Surely they will get advantage of starting early over competition. I am sure they will get huge success in this business in long term future.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 13:09   #24
BHPian

Wow. This is indeed a good news if it materializes. Given the lower kerb weight and aerodynamics of Altroz I think the real world range would be around 280 KMS or maybe more if driven conservatively which will be very decent.

If this launches with the assumed specs then I will definitely consider this to replace my 2017 Ford Figo S TDCi (Its tough to let it go but I'm little environment conscious). For very long drives I will use my Dad's Dzire till the charging infrastructure improves.
Old 23rd July 2021, 13:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
For Altroz, Tata should target around 90-100 BHP so that range will improve further. If they can achieve around 450 Kms in real world, nothing like it. Also if they can price it around 12 Lakhs OTR, I am sure they will get huge success.

Kudos to Tata for doing some aggressive investments in EV business. Surely they will get advantage of starting early over competition. I am sure they will get huge success in this business in long term future.
A 450KM real world range would need 60KWh battery pack. Not sure how we could expect a car with 60KWh battery at 12L.
Our technology super power ARAI might certify a 450KM range with a 40KWh battery but dont expect anything more than 350KM range with careful driving.
The max I could extract from my Nexon was 260KM on 95% battery by driving below 70KM/h on a relatively empty TN highway.
Holyghost is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 14:25   #26
BHPian

Desperately waiting for a 500km range EV. I have a 100km per day running to work and back and the current petrol prices are breaking my back
EV seems to be the best option. However, this disparity between ARAI mileage and actual on road performance is a dampner.
I read somewhere that battery manufacturers In the western countries have almost developed a 1000km range battery. Hopefully, this will come true and reach India soon.
With the cost of EV vehicles sky high the news of Tata Altroz and Nexon EV newer models coming up at the affordable 10-14Lacs range gives a lot of hope.
I for one will definitely switch over from my present Xcent SX Petrol
Cheers!
andy69 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:04   #27
BHPian

With the current tax benefits and subsidy on EVs, Tata Altroz EV looks like a great proposition for a city car and it it's priced below 10L, it'll fly off the wheels given the range.
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:21   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
A 450KM real world range would need 60KWh battery pack. Not sure how we could expect a car with 60KWh battery at 12L.
Our technology super power ARAI might certify a 450KM range with a 40KWh battery but dont expect anything more than 350KM range with careful driving.
The max I could extract from my Nexon was 260KM on 95% battery by driving below 70KM/h on a relatively empty TN highway.
Frankly I don't know calculations for EV That's why I said they can reduce the power so that range will improve, correct me if I am wrong. Hopefully newer, better technology can get us more mileage from similar batter pack. Ideally 430-450 Kms is good range for city use for most of the people. It's like charging twice a month only (considering 800-900 Kms running per month)

Initial pricing is very important. More price means less volume and less volume means higher costs for spares. In India, we have more than 50% market share of cars which are below 10-12 Lakhs. If manufacturer gets good volumes, certainly prices will be more competitive. Exciting years ahead for sure.
Old 23rd July 2021, 16:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
That's why I said they can reduce the power so that range will improve, correct me if I am wrong.
Unlike ICE cars, bhp is very cheap in EVs, you would probably get 2-3km more mileage if you are using a 100bhp motor instead of 125bhp motor.

That's one of the reason why Tesla concentrates more on aerodynamics and their Model 3 Performance is the most efficient car, beating smaller cars such as Renault Zoe in efficiency.

I expect Altroz EV to have 40kwh battery and a real world range of 280km.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:15   #30
BHPian

I would be a target customer of a 150 km real world range 10 lakhs or under hatch. Size being immaterial as this will be for city run abouts. Longer range I've a traditional ice. Please Tata do this if not in the Altroz please do it in the HBX.
mh09ad5578 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks