MG ZS EV 100 24.57%
Mercedes-Benz EQC 7 1.72%
Jaguar I-Pace 16 3.93%
Audi e-tron 20 4.91%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2021, 13:56   #16
BHPian

Re: If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?

Out of all the options mentioned, I would pick the TATA Nexon.
Though I have heard from many Nexon Owners & Sales Executive, no matter what the company claims, 200kms is the actual range of the EV.
I would wait for something which has a range of 300/350 +kms.
At this point , TATA Nexon seems the best option.
Old 6th July 2021, 14:10   #17
BHPian

Re: If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?

Simply Tata Nexon!!!Would put my buck on the upcoming Nexon with slightly better range.

If I have to switch to an EV would consider a company who is doing something more than just bringing a product. This includes adding infrastructure for charging, better dealer network, and most importantly who is looking at EV market as a long term goal and not just a product to fit the portfolio strategy.

Driving an EV in the city is truly effortless and more and more people should come to realization about this. I encourage any new buyer in my circle to give EV a thought.
Asif 6959 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:10   #18
BHPian

Voted for Tata Nexon as it is practical enough at a decent price. Though this would be strictly for city commutes. I am not particularly a fan of economical driving or constantly worrying about range while driving. Also for a country like India its best not to depend on community chargers and hence the Nexon EV will be used with in a 100 KM radius of my house.
Old 6th July 2021, 14:47   #19
BHPian

Electric cars in India, at least in the not-too-distant future, can only ever be city runabouts. It is simply too much of a hassle to take it out for anything longer than a city run, given the lack of charging infrastructure and the present charge times. Given that premise, the Nexon EV simply makes the most sense, as the 100 or so extra km offered by the MG and the Kona will be meaningless. 200km is all the range we need with these requirements, and the Nexon package is just perfect for that.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:53   #20

My choice would be Tata Nexon for the following reasons:

I want to experience an EV initially as a city car only. I am also looking for a replacement for the existing ICE car.

I will not spend any serious amount of money on premium cars with the current level of EV charging infrastructure.

Media reports suggest TATA motors is serious about their EV attempts. I do not trust the companies selling car in batches, listing on website and removing them. It is very disappointing that even players like Renault with reasonable EV product experience not trying anything in India. I will happily replace the 10Y old santro with something Dacia spring

Old 6th July 2021, 16:34   #21
BHPian

Voted for Nexon EV
Because it offers decent range to last you throughout the usual week in any of our cities, in one full charge.

But just about 220 km highway range doesn't make it all rounder for me.
Rather neither of the budget (non-premium) EV does.
Would have chosen MG ZS EV if it had more 60-80 more highway range.
Old 6th July 2021, 18:06   #22
BHPian

Voted for the Kona EV. Nexon is most value for money option here, but less than 200 Km per charge makes it limited to city duties only (In states where charging points are few, especially in far flung rural districts). A long distance EV should go at least 350/400Km on a single charge. This would be ideal for people in smaller states - it would be possible to travel from one end of state to other without stopping to charge up.
Old 6th July 2021, 18:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the MG ZS.

It was a close fight between the MG & the Nexon, with the Nexon scoring well on value, safety, and I am really impressed with the strides Tata has been making, etc.
However, given the way EV Infrastructure is at the moment + the low range of the Nexon, the MG inspires more confidence for those odd long distance journeys : though with infra as it is today, it would be a second car rather than a primary car.

The other options are simply overpriced, and even with a green conscience it is difficult to justify the additional outlay over their IC cousins.

That being said, the next few years will have some exciting developments in this space, and I am eager to bring home an EV as a second car soon. Hopefully we will see some exciting & well priced options in the EV & Hybrid spaces over the next few years.
Old 6th July 2021, 19:19   #24
BHPian

I voted Kona. I didn’t have any choice as I actually did buy one !
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 22:01   #25
BHPian

From the given list, Nexon EV without any contention for me. Reason, affordability. I am currently driving Nexon Diesel and I am comfortable with the dimensions and happy with it too. Close contender is MG EV. Have had good reviews about it. Not driven either of them, but the reason I voted for Nexon is due to my current ownership and price.
Old 6th July 2021, 23:45   #26
BHPian

Nexon EV. Right now, due to lack of proper charging infrastructure in India, EVs are strict No for highway usage. Those Mercedes or Jaguars are out of my reach. Even if I have to money to buy EV in that price range, I’ll prefer to wait for Tesla to launch it’s lineup in India. I’ve heard issues with Kona. MG doesn’t have proper After Sales Support near my hometown in Punjab. So, Nexon seems to the best option for me right now.
Old 7th July 2021, 12:13   #27
BHPian

For a change, the poll results go in line with the actual sale figures of the listed options
Diesel_Drives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 13:57   #28
BHPian

Being Newbie, I could not vote.
Nonetheless, I would buy 'None'.

EV market in entire world is still discovering itself, with better/changing technology every few months.
EV market might still take a couple of years in order to offer tried & tested products in India.
Plus, general EV charging infra in India is still at a nascent stage (I should say 'scarce'?) & it makes entire EV-car ownership far from being practical.

It might sound fine for people whose travel is limited to city limits, but it would be a strict NO for highway/country-side drives.
I can't even imagine a situation of a discharged battery in the middle of the road (rainy season would be worst) & not having charging station even within 50 or 100 Kms.
With ICE cars, you can just hire someone to get some fuel for you in a can from nearby petrol-pump.

I am a kind of person who would not put my $$$ with something which is tried, tested & practically feasible.

On a related note, there is huge investment and R&D happening in Hydrogen (H2) fuel. It has multiple applications & H2-Vehicle is one of them. (Yes, I am working in a related industry).
Apart from cost of H2 fuel, I feel that H2 powered vehicle would be much ahead of EV in all other aspects (It would not be have scrapping issues of batteries as well).
If cost part is addressed, H2-fuel would be the future.

Fingers crossed.
NerdSpeaks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 14:35   #29
BHPian

None of the currently listed.

Simply put these are not confidence inspiring to me.
No EV car is coming even close to the competency of Tesla today.
I am talking about safety, energy efficiency, technology integration, and user experience. Ignoring self drive capability as I would not use that in India myself.

When a new tech is in focus, look for leader of the pack. Tesla outsells all others put together. That means they will have more chances of failure and more opportunities to fix them.
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 09:08   #30
BHPian

With the background of all horror stories about TATA's niggles and TASS, somebody should tell them not to enter now for the benefit of the market itself.

Their poor execution in the mass market segment can leave a bad taste in consumers mind thus dooming the EV's prospect for a long time.
NoLurkerForLong is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks