Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2021, 16:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors to have 10 EVs in its portfolio by 2025

Tata Motors chairman N Chandrasekaran has confirmed that the company will have 10 new battery electric vehicles (BEVs) in its portfolio by 2025.

Tata Motors to have 10 EVs in its portfolio by 2025-tatanexonev1599218424.jpg

At present, Tata offers the electric versions of the Tigor and Nexon. In fact, the latter became the best-selling electric vehicle in April with sales clocking 525 units. The Tigor EV and Nexon EV have a combined market share of 77%.

Meanwhile, Jaguar plans to give up internal combustion engines and become fully electric by 2025. The brand's first all-electric car, the I-Pace, was launched in India earlier this year. Jaguar Land Rover is targeting 100% zero tailpipe emissions by 2036. It is said that 60% of cars sold by the brand will be purely electric by 2030.

Tata will also be investing in charging infrastructure and will be exploring partnerships in cell and battery manufacturing in India. The company is looking at setting up an automotive software and engineering vertical that will focus on connected technology, shared mobility and autonomous vehicles.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 28th June 2021 at 16:17.
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 18:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors to have 10 EVs in its portfolio by 2025

Interesting development!

It seemed to me that they meant “electrified” vehicles which includes hybrids of all sorts but the source article explicitly mentions BEVs, which is indeed a bold move, especially for an Indian brand, and for its Indian operations at that.

What’s more is that the present lineup only has 6 vehicles, two of which already have EV powertrains. So either they were including their CV models alongside the PV models, or we are going to see some juicy ground up designs from the Tata stable.

We do know that an electric version of the widely rumoured HBX is coming, so is Altroz EV. An all new concept sedan “eVision” was also shown off some years ago.

But most of all, these developments seem so much faster than M&M! They have a diverse e3W portfolio but the e4W is non existent — same eVerito from 2016, despite having shown eKUV100 and eXUV300 at AutoExpo2020. Exciting times ahead indeed.
Shresth_EV is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 18:58   #3
S15
BANNED

Honestly, I would rather have that they offer two or three well sorted EVs, with 600 + km range, rather than make every single vehicle of theirs an EV, with the max range being 300 km.

Having said that, 10 products does sound puzzling:
1)Safari EV
2) Harrier EV
3) Nexon EV
4) Altroz EV
5) Tigor EV
6) HBX EV
7) Tiago EV
8) Sierra concept EV
9) ???
10) ??

Are 9 and 10 possible to be the Goshaq and Peregrin? (https://www.team-bhp.com/news/honda-...-peregrin-x452)
S15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 19:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
Honestly, I would rather have that they offer two or three well sorted EVs, with 600 + km range, rather than make every single vehicle of theirs an EV, with the max range being 300 km.
Giving a 600 km range compared to the current 250km real world range would make the car out of reach. Example if the Nexon battery pack contributes almost 50% plus of the car's cost. If we increase the range to even 500, the cost will be upwards of 21 lakhs easily. At that price point, it will not sell.
Yes, there can be two variants, one a top end higher range variant for people willing to pay. But at such low units , it may not make sense now. But in future yes! Also, for most people the long drives will be occasional and it will be cheaper to depend on charging infra than spending on additional range.
Raghuwire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 20:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting development. Hope Tata democratises the Nexon EV architecture and battery pack and makes it their minimum standard. This setup is good for a genuine 200km real world range and that is evidently the minimum acceptable range for mass market success. Going forward, this 30kwh/200km power train should become their default, powering both the HBX and Altroz. A longer range 45kw/300km pack should also be developed and offered, perhaps as a long range option. Smaller sized batteries with lesser range are very likely to be rejected by the market, even if the ticket price is less. You can’t compromise on the minimum required practicality.

What they also need to do is improve their fast charging support. Current Nexon EV is limited to basic 2.3kw/15amp slow charging on AC, or 25kw fast charging on DC. Support for 7kw 3 phase AC charging and 50kw DC fast charging, which is pretty much a base industry standard, will go a long way in increasing acceptance.

Quote:
600km range is Tesla long range model territory. Even the likes of Mercedes EQC or Jaguar iPace manage about 400km at most in real word highway conditions. 600km is neither feasible nor practical with today’s technology, certainly not in the price range Tata operates in.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th June 2021 at 20:29.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 20:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While we want Tata to increase the range of Nexon EV, we need to keep realistic expectations. The most fuel efficient long range EV Tesla Model 3 has a range of 570km(may be ARAI will give 1000km range). A good charging network and a realistic range of 250-300km between charging stops will serve 99% of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
Giving a 600 km range compared to the current 250km real world range would make the car out of reach. Example if the Nexon battery pack contributes almost 50% plus of the car's cost. If we increase the range to even 500, the cost will be upwards of 21 lakhs easily.
Nexon uses a Lithium iron battery, worst case the battery pack on Nexon costs 3.4 lakhs(150$*30kwh*75₹), best case less than 2.3lakhs(100$*30kwh*75₹), certainly the battery costs less than 25%. I hope Tata gives a 50kwh battery to Nexon in next upgrade keeping the same price.
SKC-auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 21:12   #7
S15
BANNED

Sorry for having unrealistic expectations, then, I guess.

But I will not buy a car until I can leave Delhi in the morning, drive and attend a meeting in Chandigarh ( or Agra) (250 km away), and drive back (500 km), without having to charge my car.

Or do Delhi-Amritsar non-stop (500 km).

And a claimed 600 km range = real world 500 km.
S15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 21:15   #8
BHPian

Frankly after seeing Reliance investing in Hydrogen / fuel cells and Government pushing on Ethanol, I would think twice before investing in a EV over the next few years. The indications seem to be waving towards EV being a temporary solution only, at least for personal vehicles.

EV makes good use case for commercial city commuting services like Buses, e-Rickshaws, Cabs, etc till the point its convenient and profitable business.

Last edited by haisaikat : 28th June 2021 at 21:18.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 22:08   #9
BHPian

Historically HFC has been used as a means of distraction to buy more time for the ICE vehicles. We might eventually get to a state where HFCs become viable, but they won't be a replacement for electric vehicles. EVs are under-estimated because of the lack of infrastructure - but first try to understand that the infrastructure once created completely eliminates the supply chain! And even in the midst of a complete break down of supply chain, a Solar grid could power an EV in the remotest of places.

Look at European car makers, the writing is on the wall! Move on to EVs or perish! Also important is to understand that CoViD is just a warning shot, if we don't fix our greenhouse gasses in the next decade we as a species will have to face the heat (literally!) - with the CoViD experience you can now imagine the kind of repercussions we will have to deal with.

But, if there is anything that will change it is the tech in batteries we use today. I bet that most of EVs sold today, would probably get a completely new battery replacement in the next 8 years or so.. and hopefully for cheap!

So, for now we pay a premium on EVs. Often I find it weird that people think twice when they have to pay extra to buy an EV, but don't think before moving on to a class higher with that extra money, isn't that a bit self-centered? That is definitely not going to change easily in India, and Tata Motors is probably taking a risk being the first mover. But I am pretty sure, that this will be inevitable for all car makers in India eventually!

With respect to safety the market leader has already shamelessly chosen the wrong path. But this time a wrong path will mean the end of the road for them. Most Japanese car makers are going that route as of now.

I believe, Tata, here, is doing what is best for us. As for the 10 models they are talking about, I am sure they are including the Commercial Vehicles.
kartikthum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 22:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Motors chairman N Chandrasekaran has confirmed that the company will have 10 new battery electric vehicles (BEVs) in its portfolio by 2025.
Why are these carmakers so obsessed with EVs? I mean, even a real world range of around 250km won't be practical in a country like ours where even interstate trips go over 250+ km.

I am honestly more interested in why these manufacturers are not working on Plug in Hybrids! At this moment, they seem to be the best bet as EVs are too impractical unless the car is intended for intercity commutes and petrol prices are going over the sky.

With Tata and Mahindra confirming that they would work on easier to develop electric cars and MG and Koreans being untrustworthy, I guess the only hope are Japanese carmakers like Nissan, Toyota, Suzuki, Honda etc. because none of them seems interested in electric cars for India and Honda and Suzuki are already in news for bringing strong hybrids to India!
Old 28th June 2021, 23:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
I am honestly more interested in why these manufacturers are not working on Plug in Hybrids! At this moment, they seem to be the best bet as EVs are too impractical unless the car is intended for intercity commutes and petrol prices are going over the sky.

Plugin Hybrids are a very very good proposition. They offer ranges of 40-80 km so most of your daily grind is done on the Electric mode only and for the intercity trips you have the ICE motor taking care of stuff. Heck, even full self charging hybrids with their good FEs make a lot of sense.

If brought at a mass market scale our FE loving market would surely love it and it would also warrant a much smoother transition to BEVs.

The Achilles heel here is our dear government. Our government has made it very clear that they wish not to subsidise even a rupee for Hybrids. In fact, for quite some time Hybrids were taxed higher than most petrol and diesel vehicles

You have seen EV policies in place with states subsidising EVs but nothing for the Hybrids.

For some time Hybrids had some incentives as a part of the FAME scheme. Maruti exploited loopholes in the policy and brought in their lame SHVS which does practically nothing. Since then we haven't had anything for Hybrids (apart from higher taxation than even ICEs as if government was avenging the money it lost on mild hybrids).

You can also blame Mahindra, Hyundai and the same godly Tata for the same too. They lobbied quite strongly against Hybrids as well and got a tax cut for Hybrids dropped from SIAM's recommendation to the government.(since they happen to make EVs which recieve a 12% GST and lakhs in subsidies in some states)
Link

So the government doesn't want Hybrids, the greedy manufacturers don't want them, and the consumer is clueless about their existence. I don't think we will ever have Hybrids in the mainstream.

Note to the mods: Please move the post to appropriate thread if required.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 28th June 2021 at 23:14.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 01:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

That definitely would be a marathon effort to achieve those numbers in four and half years from now. However, Tata is the only successful mainstream electric car maker in the mass segment right now and definitely can introduce more models. The Nexon EV has definitely built a good platform in the minds of the public and Tata can bank on that.

Would be interesting to see if they can introduce vehicles with higher variants that offer more range for those who travel extensively. For the others whose running is relatively less, lower variants in the ballpark of 300 km real world range would suffice.
Old 29th June 2021, 01:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikthum View Post
As for the 10 models they are talking about, I am sure they are including the Commercial Vehicles.
In fact Tata already has electric buses in their product portfolio - in Calcutta the erstwhile CSTC runs them on pretty long routes.

Tata is undoubtedly leading the EV revolution in India. However, I am still not convinced about the long term sustainability of this EV revolution. With range issues, a certain minimum downtime required for charging every 160 or 200 kms, plus higher initial cost of acquisition when compared to the corresponding ICE (despite all the tax breaks and incentives), I don't see EVs becoming mainstream any time soon unless it becomes commercially unviable to own an ICE vehicle because of the high cost of fuel. (You never know - we might actually get there, the way things are going)

At the moment the Tata EVs we have are brilliant intra-city cars - forget about taking them on long trips (the Nexon EV travelogues on TBHP demonstrate the amount of planning that needs to be done for long trips). Unless Tata really ups the range and charging time game with their new cars while keeping the same price band as the ICEs and also provides a cheap and easy battery replacement policy, I don't see how they are going to displace ICEs as the first choice. Plus as EVs become more popular, the tariff at recharge stations will also go up as service providers will eventually get greedy.

Another thing to consider is that EVs in their current form are not convenient to use because of all the above factors, and as we have seen with other tech in the past, if something more convenient comes along, then that kills the less convenient technology (mobiles replaced pagers, streaming replaced mp3s, etc.). I just hope that Tata is not barking up the wrong tree here.
Neversaygbye is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 07:11   #14
BANNED

Well on the home page itself of our very own T-Bhp, today 29th of June, TOYOTA says it is too early to go fully on EV.

Then there was report from VW, few days back, who says they will stop production of ICE altogether and go all out EV.

Well time will tell what is correct. And they can change this decision at any point in time should things with EVs start going south.

My personal opinion is that just like we have Petrol powered, Diesel powered and now CNG powered vehicles, similarly EVs will co exist in the mix.

Next few decades we will NOT see a shift fully to any one form of propulsion. Diesel, Petrol, Hydrogen, Methanol, Electric, CNG powered vehicles will all part of this cacophony of propulsion options.

As consumers, we can sit back and enjoy the next few decades of options.
We can have a conventional fossil fuel powered vehicles for our long drives to the country and use a EV for our in city driving to place or work and shopping.
The options can be used to our benefit.

Last edited by norhog : 29th June 2021 at 07:15.
norhog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 20:29   #15
BHPian

I have always had a multi-vehicle garage. Recently sold the Superb (CoVID induced business challenges) and now using a Manza and Nano as the daily driver. So the Nano is used for short runs or my daily office, while the Manza is strictly used for 'meetings' or inter city driving (mostly thats done by a friends Hexa).
Once the situation improves (on the business end), I intend to buy an EV (Nexon EV or Altroz EV if they launch it by then). It solves the need for the daily driver (my current fuel costs range between 12-18K per month plus service etc) - and when I need longer legs, I can still use the Manza / replacement.
The Nexon range is enough for a Pune -Mumbai-Pune Run with a charging stop (when having food maybe) thrown and a top-up before hitting the ghats on the way back.
I generally average 20-25K kms of driving per year with only about 2K of it being long distance (over 300 kms) - an EV with a highway range of 300 is the sweet spot according to me, esp, if we have charging infrastructure (NHAI recently announced it is planning charging infra every couple hundred kms). Drive 4 hours (200/240 kms average) - break for food (30-45 mins quick charge) - drive another 4 hours (200/240 kms) - thats typically what I do with a ICE car as well.

Last edited by torquecurve : 30th June 2021 at 20:33.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks