Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Electric Jaguar I-Pace completes 'Everesting' challenge on one charge

Jaguar has announced that its I-Pace electric SUV has successfully completed the 'Everesting' challenge on a single charge. The challenge took place at the Great Dun Fell, Cumbria, UK. It is said to have the country's highest paved road.

Electric Jaguar I-Pace completes 'Everesting' challenge on one charge-jaguar_ipace_everesting_image-3.jpg

The concept of 'Everesting' involves a series of runs up an incline, until achieving an elevation gain of 8,848 metres - equal to that of Mount Everest. The concept of this endurance challenge is said to have been popularised by cyclists last year.

Electric Jaguar I-Pace completes 'Everesting' challenge on one charge-jaguar_ipace_everesting_image-1.jpg

The 5.8 km climb (11.6 km loop) at the Great Dun Fell involves an elevation gain of 848 metres. Jaguar stated that its I-Pace SUV successfully completed 16.2 loops on a single charge to achieve the equivalent elevation gain of Mount Everest. The electric SUV was driven by Olympic and World Champion cyclist, Elinor Barker MBE.

Electric Jaguar I-Pace completes 'Everesting' challenge on one charge-jaguar_ipace_everesting_image-2.jpg

Over the course of the challenge, the I-Pace SUV covered a total of 199.6 km, including a 12.9 km drive to the start point. At the end of the challenge, the electric SUV managed to have 31% battery charge and 128.7 km range remaining.

Electric Jaguar I-Pace completes 'Everesting' challenge on one charge-jaguar_ipace_everesting_image-4.jpg

Jaguar stated that the key to the climb was the I-Pace's regenerative braking system. The system is said to have been developed using technology borrowed from Jaguar Racing's Formula E program. This 'regen' technology itself is said to have extended the range of the I-Pace by 93.3 km.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:09   #2
BHPian

re: Electric Jaguar I-Pace completes 'Everesting' challenge on one charge

Quote:
The system is said to have been developed using technology borrowed from Jaguar Racing's Formula E program.
This is what I was expecting Mahindra to do as well with their Formula E team. Borrow some of the tech to build better electric cars. Hopefully, it will do that with their upcoming E-cars.
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Electric Jaguar I-Pace completes 'Everesting' challenge on one charge

Interesting stunt - but assuming they are going in loops, the net elevation gain is zero. Obviously, regeneration in the downhill section would boost the range and make completing the challenge a lot easier. The overall range of 330 km does not seem all that high when you consider the fact that net elevation gain is zero.
Hayek is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 18:09   #4
BANNED

Re: Electric Jaguar I-Pace completes 'Everesting' challenge on one charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Interesting stunt - but assuming they are going in loops, the net elevation gain is zero. Obviously, regeneration in the downhill section would boost the range and make completing the challenge a lot easier. The overall range of 330 km does not seem all that high when you consider the fact that net elevation gain is zero.
I saw the title, read the story, and felt while thinking of the right set of words to spoil the party, then I scrolled down and found this post

Perfectly summed up sir, while they ascended the slope, so did they descend it. If they consumed X% battery while going up, they regenerate Y% while coming down, hence the consumption is simply:
(X-Y)%

Looking at that incline and that empty road (The car is shown coming down in pic 2 by the way), I am sure that the car must have come down without touching the brake pedal, and still supplying a lot of current back to battery.

And in such a case, this is a marketing stunt, which isn't implemented even by proper marketing standards for a brand like Jaguar!

Additionally, how does it fit in a perfect marketing case to have an Olympian 'cyclist' drive your car atop a hill? Probably only when it's economical to run like a cycle, or maybe takes space like one,

Last edited by VKumar : 2nd June 2021 at 18:14.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks