Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2021, 21:38   #1
BANNED

EVs will be exempt from paying registration charges

The ministry has issued a draft notification in this regard for comments from various stakeholders.

EVs will be exempt from paying registration charges-notifmorth.jpg
Quote:
New Delhi: The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has moved a proposal to exempt electric vehicles from registration charges in a bid to promote electric mobility in the country. The move comes as the demand for electric vehicles and transition to cleaner sources of mobility is gathering momentum, says a Ministry statement.

The transport ministry has issued a draft notification in this regard for comments from various stakeholders.

"The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has issued a draft notification dated May 27, 2021, further to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, proposing to exempt Battery Operated Vehicles (BOV) from payment of fees for the purpose of issue or renewal of Registration Certificate (RC) and assignment of new registration mark. This has been notified to encourage e-mobility," the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.

It further said that comments from the general public and all stakeholders have been sought within 30 days from the date of issuance of this draft notification.
Source

Last edited by wheelguy : 1st June 2021 at 21:39.
wheelguy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 21:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

EVs will be exempt from paying registration fees.

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has issued a draft notification proposing to exempt Battery Operated Vehicles from payment of fees for the purpose of issue or renewal of Registration Certificate and assignment of new registration mark. This has been notified to encourage e-mobility.

EVs will be exempt from paying registration charges-20210601_213710.jpg

EVs will be exempt from paying registration charges-20210601_213714.jpg

Open to comments from public and stake holders for 30 days

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 23:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: EVs will be exempt from paying registration charges

I vaguely remember the road tax was exempted for EVs in certain states and few other states reduced tax slabs. That is definitely a welcome move and will attract a handful of buyers to look for EV. Registration charge is less than 1k INR (at least in Tamil Nadu) and I'm clueless why Govt took so long to roll out this proposal or how this small benefit will attract further more EV buyers
Mr.Boss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 13:02   #4
BHPian

Re: EVs will be exempt from paying registration charges

This is going to be a major boost in the sale of EV Vehicles. People considering to buy a 2nd car with the range of 12-15L will always think to get an EV now with the benefits luring them. I do remember Delhi Gov. giving a handsome subsidy on the Nexon EV.

I hope they don't scrap the subsidies now when they are removing the registration charges. Some % of subsidy should be offered to the prospective buyer so that it looks like a lucrative deal overall.
Old 2nd June 2021, 13:04   #5
BHPian

This is too little and possibly late too. For EVs to pick up (esp. in 2W and 3W segments) there should be a waiver of road taxes for at least a period of 5 years across the country.

Can someone clarify if GST is applicable on EVs? I assume it would be.
Old 2nd June 2021, 13:29   #6

This can be perceived as some beginning of a great journey in the Indian automotive scene.

In addition, buyers of EVs should also get some tax benefits, free access to parking, tolls and other charges. Further, there should be in place certain lock-in periods to avoid a case where the smart Indian minds would misuse this to their own benefit. I hope the Government comes up with a highly sophisticated system in this respect, let alone a foolproof law around it.
Old 2nd June 2021, 13:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A welcome initiative. Forces the hand of lazy/stubborn state governments. Here in Haryana, not only do we have zero subsidy, we are also charged near full registration charges. No wonder all EVs in NCR are Delhi registered.

On a related note, they should also come up with a set of guidelines for pricing of insurance for EVs. Right now, options are very limited and exorbitantly priced.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 2nd June 2021 at 13:39.
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:30   #8
BHPian

A very good initiative.
Registration charges form a huge chunk of total cost of car. No regn. charges, very low running/ maintenance cost will definitely lure a lot of people. With all this, govt also needs to work on charging infrastructure so that people have peace of mind on long distance drives.

Price difference between ICEVs and EVs is getting narrower, just like price difference between petrol and diesel ��.
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
A very good initiative.
Registration charges form a huge chunk of total cost of car.
You're confusing the registration charges with the road tax. Registration charges for a car like the Swift in Bangalore are about Rs.1800
This is too little to make an impact either way.
thechinmay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 15:12   #10
AZT
BHPian

I think the game changer will be once we get better EV's or rather longer range batteries. Subsidies are all good but people won't put their money till they get a better product for their money.
Old 2nd June 2021, 16:21   #11
BHPian

How will it work out in India? Norway with a well dimensioned electric grid is already having problems with electric cars. There are long queues and there have been reports of fist fights at charging stations.

There are only almost 500,000 electric cars in Norway. The queues are even longer in the holiday season and weekends.
Electricity was normally cheaper at nights but now gone up because people are charging their cars.

I have seen about 20 cars queueing at charging stations and by simple calculations I figure they have to wait about a day before the last car is charged. By then more cars have arrived.

EVs will be exempt from paying registration charges-lading.jpg

EVs will be exempt from paying registration charges-lading1.jpg

Last edited by Indian2003 : 2nd June 2021 at 16:24.
Indian2003 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 09:48   #12
BHPian

This notification doesn't clarify whether road tax is exempted or not. If road tax is exempted, then it's a good move, it will definitely push the sales of EVs in the country. But if road tax is not exempted then it is a joke. Registration charges in Himachal Pradesh are INR 600 for a new car. If we consider exemption of other charges as well like green tax, user fee, and hypothecation charges, which sum up to INR 4250, it will hardly make an impact on EV sales. Road tax needs to be exempted.
itsbaman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 17:52   #13
BHPian

What we need in the country to promote EVs is an income tax credit of say 2-5L similar to the US Federal Tax credit of 7500$ in the United States. It will ensure tax paying citizens alone get the subsidy and free loaders / tax evaders don't get anything.
Ragavsr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 20:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post

I have seen about 20 cars queueing at charging stations and by simple calculations I figure they have to wait about a day before the last car is charged. By then more cars have arrived.
I am very curious about your simple calculations. Could you kindly elaborate? I see atleast 4 fast chargers in your first pic and given 20 cars each taking say 25mins per charger, the 21st car has to wait 125mins or 2h5m (ie 5 batches of 4 cars for 25mins) worst case. In the 2nd pic, it seems to me there is some sort of inaugural event (I guess thats the reason for balloons) of extra stalls of fast chargers.

I agree with you during holidays and weekends, some chargers on busy vacation routes might be crowded. I have seen this happen few years ago and with increasing chargers on European highways, it is less likely to happen.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 21:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I am very curious about your simple calculations. Could you kindly elaborate? I see atleast 4 fast chargers in your first pic and given 20 cars each taking say 25mins per charger, the 21st car has to wait 125mins or 2h5m (ie 5 batches of 4 cars for 25mins) worst case. In the 2nd pic, it seems to me there is some sort of inaugural event (I guess thats the reason for balloons) of extra stalls of fast chargers.

I agree with you during holidays and weekends, some chargers on busy vacation routes might be crowded. I have seen this happen few years ago and with increasing chargers on European highways, it is less likely to happen.
Lots of exaggerations in his post, the 2nd pic is clearly inaugural event of EV chargers( the balloon colors look like fortum chargers), even the charging companies Nissan leaf can be seen in this picture. The first pic could be a EV drive event. I did not respond because my only experience of Norway is Bjorn videos.

Meanwhile last month in US.

"Fistfights and long queues have been reported at petrol stations in the south-eastern United States as people panic over a fuel shortage sparked by a cyber attack last week."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...ghts/100135808

Last edited by SKC-auto : 6th June 2021 at 21:46.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks