Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2021, 18:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BYD e6 electric MPV, now launched at Rs 29.15 lakh

This is a very tempting car for taxi use. The range is very much there and so is the space. Warranties also seem solid. What needs to be seen is what the Chinese have done about the ride and handling. The ZS is unfortunately a poor specimen with its bouncy and unsettled rear. If BYD has managed to provide a sorted suspension package, this can be a viable car for fleet buyers, Uber XLs and also for hotel customers. Delhi-Agra return runs seem very doable, especially because taxis are capped at 80kmph.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 23:11   #32
BHPian

This is wonderful news. With states with 0 Road Tax for EVs, this car can be bought for less than 31L. Looking at the battery warranty of 500,000 KM, I believe it is carrying their latest BYD Blade Batteries.
Once they start regular sales, this car will make some significant impact to the Kona and ZS EVs.

Last edited by Holyghost : 1st November 2021 at 23:16.
Holyghost is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 23:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early_Adopter View Post
An EV with a range of around 500km and in the price band of 25L-30L is indeed a sweet spot.

But, MG and Kona with their battery capacities of around 40kW and 250kM range are priced at 20-25L band.

I would be keen to understand how another EV is able to pull off the price of Rs. 25L-30L with almost 75% additional capacity in both range and battery capacity.

For now, the price for the given range and battery capacity sounds too good to be true.
Technically, according to current market prices of batteries, ($150/kWh), the 71kWh in BYD e6 would cost ₹8L. The 44kWh in ZS would cost ₹5L.

So the ex showroom has a gap of ₹6L for the BYD, even after adding the ₹3L extra for the bigger battery. (29.5L vs 20.8 for BYD vs MG)

The 64kWh kona EV costs £28K (~27L) for 300mi/480km WLTP range so it’s not far from what the BYD sells for in india.
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:56   #34
BHPian

Re: BYD e6 electric MPV, now launched at Rs 29.15 lakh

Friends, what exactly am I missing here? The power and torque figures seem abysmally low for the battery capacity. Is it a print mistake or they deliberately kept it low in the interest of range? Zs EV, Kona and even Nexon makes more Torque.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Friends, what exactly am I missing here? The power and torque figures seem abysmally low for the battery capacity. Is it a print mistake or they deliberately kept it low in the interest of range? Zs EV, Kona and even Nexon makes more Torque.
Battery capacity has nothing to do with the torque or power, it is a function of the motor.

It is a commercial vehicle so it will be capped at the speed limit of 80 Kmph as Shreyans_Jain said earlier. Commercial vehicles in general are not going to be used in the same way as private cars will be. In other words torque and horsepower are not high up in the priority list as range will be.

The car will be heavier than the other cars you mentioned because of the bigger battery and probably the bigger size thereby being less efficient than the cars you compared it to.

The customers for the MG / Nexon are different from those who are looking at this car. Its competitor is the Tata XPRES-T. But it costs three times as much.

I believe they put a weaker / detuned motor to increase its range, I think it is a good move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
This is wonderful news. With states with 0 Road Tax for EVs, this car can be bought for less than 31L. Looking at the battery warranty of 500,000 KM, I believe it is carrying their latest BYD Blade Batteries.
Once they start regular sales, this car will make some significant impact to the Kona and ZS EVs.
I respectfully disagree. This is geared towards taxi drivers, chauffeur driven corporate cars and five star hotels which use it for airport drops.

However being an EV it will probably still have decent acceleration but not like the other cars you mentioned. If a private car buyer is paying 31 lakhs, they'll probably want a more exciting drive.

It costs a lot more than the other cars and it will not be fun to drive . Unless they introduce a more powerful motor for private sales, but then it will cost more and the range will decrease.

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 2nd November 2021 at 12:55. Reason: multi quote
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:41   #36
BHPian

Found this video in BYD Singapore YouTube.

The part I like is puncture testing the blade battery!
Kannan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 06:42   #37
Team-BHP Support

Looks interesting on paper at least.

I’m just curious why would they only launch this as a CV. Wouldn’t this in fact be quite an attractive proposition for private use as well? Why would that be pushed to a future date?

Any idea anyone on this?

Thanks
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Looks interesting on paper at least.

I’m just curious why would they only launch this as a CV. Wouldn’t this in fact be quite an attractive proposition for private use as well? Why would that be pushed to a future date?

Any idea anyone on this?

Thanks
My personal speculation would be their Chinese origin. Now of course, businesses don’t care about these things, or very little if at all, that is.

To them, it is a car which requires little to no service (no downtime at SC) and a lucrative running cost of ₹1/km. If that means more profit, most businesses won’t care if it’s Chinese or North Korean or Pakistani.

That and the fact that it’s 25L+ is a psychological barrier to many pvt buyers.

To us, in rather enthusiast forums, we know that Chinese cars aren’t a joke — nio and xiaopeng for example, are worth their weight — but Chinese cars as a whole are prejudiced as copy cats (with good reason for their shenanigans in 2000-10 decade)

Even today you can go to AutoCAR india IG post and see the comments. It’s clearly evident that even if given at cheaper cost, they’d rather buy a petrol car than a Chinese EV.

If you’d ask me to buy a 75K Samsung/iPhone, I’d do so. But not if it was a xiaomi.

Last edited by Shresth_EV : 3rd November 2021 at 12:47. Reason: Typo, formatting
Shresth_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 17:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

If the target is more of a B2B segment, then isn't the warranty on the traction motor of 1.5lakh kms kinda low?
Old 5th November 2021, 02:22   #40
BHPian

https://www.mycarforum.com/forums/to...on-the-byd-e6/

As per this link, in Australian market BYD e6 is sold roughly 15% cheaper than MG ZS-EV ( 40k vs 45k). I guess that explains few things.
Gurgaon_lyon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 12:52   #41
BHPian

Chinese Automobile from BYD Spotted

Spotted today in Delhi, a vehicle from BYD Auto Co., Ltd. ("Build Your Dreams") which is a Chinese manufacturing company headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong, China. It has two major subsidiaries, BYD Automobile and BYD Electronic.

BYD has grown to become a major manufacturer of automobiles (most notably full-electric and hybrid cars, buses, trucks, etc.), battery-powered bicycles, forklift, solar panels and rechargeable batteries (mobile phone batteries, electric vehicle batteries and renewable bulk storage). The current model range of automobiles includes electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid vehicles and petrol engine vehicles.

BYD e6 electric MPV, now launched at Rs 29.15 lakh-img_6254.jpg

BYD e6 electric MPV, now launched at Rs 29.15 lakh-img_6255.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_Auto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_Company
https://en.byd.com/auto/
embee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 12:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chinese Automobile from BYD Spotted

Same one as discussed here? :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5186293 (BYD e6 electric MPV, now launched at Rs 29.15 lakh)
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:42   #43
BHPian

Spotted this E6 in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. Was the first time I has heard of this company if I were to be honest.
Attached Thumbnails
BYD e6 electric MPV, now launched at Rs 29.15 lakh-20211202_115046.jpg  

BYD e6 electric MPV, now launched at Rs 29.15 lakh-20211202_115004.jpg  

rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 12:40   #44

Before Pandemic, I used to go to China a lot. And if you have ever visited the Guangzhou and Shenzhen, you will know how BYD has eradicated other companies from taxi market. Its near monopoly of BYD in those areas for Taxi market. The only company that has some guts to compete with BYD is Toyota for people who want that bit extra. Toyota Vellfire and Alphard are the only other cars that you see. And about ride, I can say its on the comfort side certainly not Sporty. But a very competent car.
9890558353 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 13:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9890558353 View Post
The only company that has some guts to compete with BYD is Toyota for people who want that bit extra.
OT: Toyota has partnered with BYD to launch EVs. https://electrek.co/2021/12/02/toyot...-electric-car/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks